34 replies to this topic

#1 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:34 PM

The first big deal has gone down. The Braves acquiring Mark Teixeira from Texas for Saltalamacchia, Elvis Andrus and two pitching prospects. The Braves certainly have a formidable lineup now but their rotation still does not impress me. Giving up that much they need to re-sign him (he is FA after 2008 season). He played his college ball at Georgia Tech so the Braves may have an in there.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=2954457
"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#2 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:59 PM

The Teixeira deal will make the NL East a lot more interesting. Overall I think it is a good deal for both teams.

Hopefully the Yankees can ship Farnsworth out of town after the crap he pulled against Posada.

Tons of rumors surrounding the Yankees and Gagne...as long as they don't give up Kennedy or Gardner in a Gagne deal I would be happy. Maybe some package of Clippard, Marquez, and someone else, possibly Horne will get it done.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#3 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,982 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 04:00 PM

Saltalamacchia

What a name that one is lol

#4 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 04:01 PM

http://www.startribu...istensen/?p=274

The Twins are close to trading Luis Castillo to the New York Mets for two minor-league prospects, two major league sources said this afternoon. In return, the Twins would get AA catcher Drew Butera, the son of former major league catcher Sal Butera, and Class A outfielder Dustin Martin.

The Star Tribune confirmed that the deal was close with two major league sources, though there were indications that it still needed to be finalized and wouldnt happen for about two hours.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#5 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 04:03 PM

Reds deal Lohse to Phils for prospect

The Phillies, seeking to upgrade their rotation, have acquired Reds right-hander Kyle Lohse for Class AA left-hander Matt Maloney, according to a major-league source.

Braves take lead in bidding for Dotel

In addition to reaching a preliminary agreement for Rangers first baseman Mark Teixeira, the Braves are close to a deal for Royals closer Octavio Dotel, according to major-league sources.

The Braves, Indians and Dodgers are the three finalists for Dotel, sources say. Royals general manager Dayton Moore, previously an executive with Atlanta, is intimately acquainted with the Braves' farm system.

The addition of Dotel would give the Braves a trio of formidable right-handers in the late innings -- Dotel, Rafael Soriano and Bob Wickman.

#6 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 05:47 PM

Braves must really be going for it all this year:

The Braves also were said to be talking to the Cincinnati Reds (who dealt Kyle Lohse to the Philadelphia Phillies) about Bronson Arroyo, and the Red Sox were shopping outfielder Wily Mo Pena. The Seattle Mariners would like to add a starter and a reliever, but probably will have to settle for the latter. They were hoping to talk the Florida Marlins into moving Dontrelle Willis, but have had no substantive negotiations.

http://sports.yahoo....e?urn=mlb,40778

#7 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:59 PM

Braves must really be going for it all this year:

Out of the last 15 years, I think the Braves may have picked the worst year to go for it all. :P

"The Devils always find a way to win, ... That will continue." -Scott Stevens
"I wouldn't think so. Nothing is broken. It's just a bruise." -Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image

#8 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,970 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:29 AM

Saltalamacchia

I'd like to buy a vowel...

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#9 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:45 AM

The Cardinals acquired Joel Pineiro from Boston Red Sox for a minor leaguer to be named later.

#10 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:07 AM

Yankees get infielder Betemit from L.A. for reliever Proctor

The Dodgers and Yankees have agreed in principle on a trade that would send reliever Scott Proctor to the Dodgers for infielder Wilson Betemit, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

--------------
Proctor was one of my favorite players. He had a lot of passion and toughness that some of the other players lacked. Hopefully his second stint with the LA Dodgers works out for him, he was a great guy. It is a shame his arm was abused and it had to come to this. Betemit is a good pick up for the Yankees but they still need bullpen help now. Hopefully they trade Farnsworth and can pickup Gagne and another reliever or two, unless the calling up of Joba Chamberlain is imminent. Betemit definitely helps the Yankees bench, hopefully this means Cairo will be demoted or DFA.

#11 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:13 PM

I like the Betemit deal. The Yankee bench is a joke and Betemit provides a real power threat and versatility that means Cairo can retire after this season and start collecting social security. Proctor was killed by Torre. I an sure he will do very well in LA with people who know how to run a bullpen.

Palin 2012

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

#12 brodeurrocks

brodeurrocks

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:19 PM

I'd like to buy a vowel...

You beat me to it! :P

Posted Image

Official Keeper of David Clarkson's Open Ice Hits!

Official Keeper of the stains on Chico's shirt and tie from "Chico Eats" episodes!

#13 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,970 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:36 PM

I wonder if the Proctor deal is a setup for a move to get Gagne???

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#14 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:49 PM

I wonder if the Proctor deal is a setup for a move to get Gagne???

Right now the Red Sox are close on Gagne. It doesn't look like the Yankees have a shot anymore, per Abraham's blog: http://yankees.lohudblogs.com/

"But unless something changes in the next few hours, they wont be getting Eric Gagne. Brian Cashman is holding on to Alan Horne and the rest of his upper-level prospects. Boston is reportedly willing to trade OF David Murphy and LHP Kason Gabbard."

#15 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:03 PM

Texas won't take that deal. That is scraps. That is like offering Chase Wright and Kevin Thompson.

Palin 2012

#16 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,582 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:09 PM

I like the Betemit deal. The Yankee bench is a joke and Betemit provides a real power threat and versatility that means Cairo can retire after this season and start collecting social security. Proctor was killed by Torre. I an sure he will do very well in LA with people who know how to run a bullpen.

Proctor's arm is probably already shot. I definitely like getting a warm body back for a guy who is unlikely to be a viable pitcher in 2 years.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#17 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:54 PM

Red Sox on Verge of Acquiring Gagne

"The Red Sox are on the verge of winning the Eric Gagne sweepstakes, pending his approval and a review of his medical records, according to major-league sources.

Gagne must waive his no-trade clause to Boston for the deal to be completed. It is possible the Red Sox will allow him to share the closer's role with Jonathan Papelbon.

The Rangers would receive left-hander Kason Gabbard and an additional player or players in the deal, sources say.

Before reaching agreement with the Red Sox, the Rangers had discussed trading Gagne to the Mets, Yankees and Brewers. He could have been sent to each of those teams without his permission.

Gagne could reject the deal because of his desire to remain a closer with the Rangers rather than share the role with Papelbon or become his setup man.

The Red Sox also could attempt to persuade him to waive his no-trade protection by guaranteeing all or part of his remaining $3.65 million in potential bonuses for games finished."

----------
I am still hoping Cashman can trade Farnsworth, he is a locker room cancer to the team and he isn't that great at his job either. Seems like the Yankee bullpen is going to be pretty weak when this is all said and done. I am excited Joba will get a call up but I am afraid at how Torre will abuse him, just like he did to Edwar Ramirez.

#18 harpua19

harpua19

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 02:17 PM

Interesting move by the yanks...what about farnsworth?
no bullpen help for the mets yet?
"We're coming to your town
We'll help you party down!"

#19 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 02:25 PM

If Texas accepts that deal they are nuts. But is shows how poor Cashman is when the deal isn't a salary dump. Chamberlain is a huge gamble. Especially since he will be used in high leverage situations like Proctor was.

Palin 2012

#20 TravisZajac

TravisZajac

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:02 PM

Gagn to the Red Sox..

http://www.tsn.ca/ml...160&hubname=mlb

Various reports indicate that the Boston Red Sox have reached a deal to acquire right-hander Eric Gagne from the Texas Rangers.

The Montreal native has a no-trade clause and must waive it for the deal to be completed.

Gagne is 2-0 this season with a 2.16 ERA and 16 saves for the Texas Rangers.

Prior to this season, the 2003 NL Cy Young Award winner has pitched only 15 1-3 innings over the past two seasons.

Gagne had elbow surgery in June 2005, then another operation in April of 2006 to remove a nerve from his pitching elbow. He had surgery last July to repair a herniated disk in his lower back.

Gagne had 152 saves with the Los Angeles Dodgers from 2002-04, including all 55 chances in 2003, when he had a 1.20 ERA and won the Cy Young. He converted a major-league record 84 consecutive saves from August 2002 to July 2004.

Gagne started 2005 on the DL, and last year he went to the DL without pitching a game less than a week after starting the season on the Dodgers roster.

After Los Angeles didn't exercise Gagne's $12 million option for 2007, the Rangers gave him a $6 million, one-year deal with the chance to make $5 more in performance bonuses.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users