50 replies to this topic

#21 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,324 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:41 PM

Completely meaningless to me, everything he's done post 1999 is tainted. The man is a cheater, and he's shameless about it. He rubs it in your face. What if everybody did steroids like that? There are signs all around baseballs history, Brady Andersons 50 in 96 (at the age of 32, he hadn't hit more than 21 in his career) Sosa, McGwire, Caminiti....

This is something that should not be celebrated. If things had progressed naturally, Bonds would have between 600-650 by now if he was extremely lucky! I for one cannot wait until Arod breaks this record.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#22 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,736 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:23 AM

I respect the kind of calibre player he is. Best of our generation. Love him or hate him, that's the truth. It's unfortunate that such a great record can't be celebrated.

How many World Series rings does he have? Oh yea, zero. Sorry but I believe the best players of our generation are champions, and Bonds is nothing but a loser.

Edited by Satans Hockey, 08 August 2007 - 09:20 AM.

#23 Vinnie

Vinnie

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:11 AM

Does this mean when I check the scores on ESPN.com I won't get a pop-up telling me Bonds is on deck? If that's the case I'm glad he finally broke the record, otherwise I couldn't care less.

#24 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:15 AM

The fact that the MLB did nothing about it means the record has to stand and cant really be called into question.

If they had done something about steroids across the leauge, such as banned players or writern off their runs from there totals if found guilty of cheeting there wouldnt be this problem.

The fact that he has never failed a drugs test means its much more difficult to say its tainted.

The thing that really works against bonds is the fact that he is such an unlikeable person, he has a personality that makes you want to hate him.

If he was a more likeable person i think there was a lot less unret over the whole incident.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#25 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,891 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:59 AM

The thing that really works against bonds is the fact that he is such an unlikeable person, he has a personality that makes you want to hate him.

If he was a more likeable person i think there was a lot less unret over the whole incident.

I agree. Notice how he ignored his son at home plate last night? That kid stands to inherit a ton of cash, but other than that, it must suck to be Barry Bonds' kid.

#26 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,915 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:23 AM

How many World Series rings does he have? Oh yea, zero. Sorry but I believe the best players of our generation are champions, and Bonds is nothing but a loser.

Now I am not a Bonds lover, but this statement I COMPLETELY disagree with you on...so Ted Williams, was a loser too? Yaz? Ernie Banks?? Tony Gwynn?

Listen, I actually did end up seeing the HR last night was watching TV....and it was a weird feeling...typical Bonds, sit and admire his shot like a hot dog (Aaron ran out his HR) and there is NO denying Bonds was WELL on his way to becoming an all time great player before 1998, Bonds is a clear Hall Of Famer, no questions asked.....but...when your HR/AB ratio goes from 20 to 10 in your MID to LATE 30's....cmon...and in a pitcher's park to boot? How can that NOT be questioned? Name me one other player who did that...ever.(or even came REMOTLEY close to that, and a player from pre-juice)..and get back to me.

Edited by LOTCB, 08 August 2007 - 09:24 AM.

#27 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,736 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:24 AM

His feet grew from size 10 1/2 to size 13. His head grew from size 7 1/8 to 7 3/4.

Can someone tell me what exercises an over 30 man can do to increase those 2 things? If those things aren't proof enough of this record being tainted I don't know what is.

#28 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,736 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:33 AM

Now I am not a Bonds lover, but this statement I COMPLETELY disagree with you on...so Ted Williams, was a loser too? Yaz? Ernie Banks?? Tony Gwynn?

If we are going to say Bonds is "the greatest" player of our generation when he hasn't even won a championship it's a joke to me. Great players win championships. If they aren't doing that than who gives a sh!t if they play well and miss the playoffs or don't win a ring. It means nothing. On the loser part I just meant Bonds cause he is a cheater.

#29 South Jersey Devs Fan

South Jersey Devs Fan

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:41 AM

If we are going to say Bonds is "the greatest" player of our generation when he hasn't even won a championship it's a joke to me. Great players win championships. If they aren't doing that than who gives a sh!t if they play well and miss the playoffs or don't win a ring. It means nothing. On the loser part I just meant Bonds cause he is a cheater.

I kind of agree with your point about the great ones being champions but that is a tough arguement when you are talking about a team sport with as many moving pieces as baseball. Having said that, I think Bonds is a tool, definately guilty of steriod use (loved the points earlier about foot and hat size) and doesn't deserve to even still be allowed to play the game let alone be recognized as the new record holder. That is a joke and there will always be that asterisk next to his name.
Posted Image
"Martin Brodeur is the gold standard of goaltending -- the model of character, consistency and commitment to the craft. A champion. A winner above all.

"It is difficult to imagine any player who is more universally, and deservedly, respected. The National Hockey League is extremely proud of Martin, his historic achievement and his enduring contribution to our game."

#30 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,861 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:35 PM

I didn't see anyone post about him tying Hank's record. I think he is a disgrace. In the age of steroids and juiced baseballs how can anyone defend this guy? ESPN was defending him on Baseball Tonight and I wanted to :puke: It was nice to hear some of the guys on WFAN radio say he is garbage. I don't think he should make the Hall of Fame either. Cheaters shouldn't be allowed to.

Thoughts?

The whole thing was disgusting. Listening to the windbags at ESPN defend Bonds and his hollow record was even more disgusting. I can't stand A-rod, but I hope he breaks this record in a few years so it can be legit again.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#31 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,889 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:44 PM

The whole thing was disgusting. Listening to the windbags at ESPN defend Bonds and his hollow record was even more disgusting. I can't stand A-rod, but I hope he breaks this record in a few years so it can be legit again.

right because the evidence that a-rod is clean is what, exactly?

i'd also looove to hear people defend hank aaron's use of methanphetamines or 'greenies' in the 60s and 70s - Mickey Mantle and Willie Mays also took them.

Barry Bonds is a huge a$$hole. No denying that. But it's his record, for now.

also, re: winners winning championships - yeah, that ernie banks sucked, i'd rather have david eckstein. ted williams was a loser also, i'd rather have scott brosius.

Edited by Triumph, 08 August 2007 - 01:46 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#32 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,736 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 02:10 PM

i'd also looove to hear people defend hank aaron's use of methanphetamines or 'greenies' in the 60s and 70s - Mickey Mantle and Willie Mays also took them.

Those didn't make them better players though, those actually make you worse. The stuff Bonds took made him hit the ball farther. Big difference in my book even though they are both are wrong.

#33 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,861 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 02:16 PM

Barry Bonds is a huge a$$hole. No denying that. But it's his record, for now.

also, re: winners winning championships - yeah, that ernie banks sucked, i'd rather have david eckstein. ted williams was a loser also, i'd rather have scott brosius.

Well, so far A-Rod's name has never been brought up in any of the Balco investigations, so that's a start. He also has never been asked to testify in front of congress, so you have that. And his size from the time he entered baseball to now hasn't gotten out of control to the point where he currently looks like a caricature of himself. So he has that going for him too. Outside of Canseco's "dirt"- and one must consider the source and the motivation of said source to sell books- there has been nothing suggesting that A-Rod is a juicer.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#34 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,889 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 02:47 PM

Well, so far A-Rod's name has never been brought up in any of the Balco investigations, so that's a start. He also has never been asked to testify in front of congress, so you have that. And his size from the time he entered baseball to now hasn't gotten out of control to the point where he currently looks like a caricature of himself. So he has that going for him too. Outside of Canseco's "dirt"- and one must consider the source and the motivation of said source to sell books- there has been nothing suggesting that A-Rod is a juicer.

I'm not saying a-rod is or isn't clean. I just don't think that either of these things are evidence either way - although not being a part of BALCO is a good sign.

#35 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 03:15 PM

Personally, I could care less if Bond's cheated or not...the record is legit because he hit 756 home runs...and thats it. If baseball could prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he used illegal steriods, then Barry would have been thrown out of baseball and the issue would have been closed. But, due to the ineptitude of MLB, they didn't.

Also, how do we know none of the "old guard record holders" cheated themselves...they may not have had steriods but are plently of ways to gain an edge...players have been doing that since sports began and that will never change.

Now that I think about it, I think it would rock if EVERY baseball player was on 'roids. It would be like that Bugs Bunny cartoon when the giant players are in a conga line cracking HR after HR....dum dum dum dum dum...CRACK

I also love Barry's FU attitude towards the media...classic
Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#36 Deke

Deke

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:25 PM

His feet grew from size 10 1/2 to size 13. His head grew from size 7 1/8 to 7 3/4.

Can someone tell me what exercises an over 30 man can do to increase those 2 things?

Cock push-ups.
Go Carp, go!
Salmonbellies rule!
Hit 'em harder cops!
But a hockey team called the Mighty Ducks?
Aw, man.

#37 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,762 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:46 PM

How many WS rings did Ernie Banks win? Oh that's right. He never got to one. How has A-Rod fared in October? More like Alvaro Espinoza and Rafael Santana than one of the best to ever play the game. Griffey? Wouldn't know.

You made an obnoxious statement. Why? Probably because you loathe the guy and feel he owes you something. Well, guess what. He doesn't owe anyone anything. You want to blame someone for this circus? Blame Bud Selig and MLB because they turned their collective backs on everything that went on behind the scenes.

They celebrated McGwire's record big time. He and Sosa were heroes.

And the awful ugly truth about this whole thing is that had the government (our government) not gotten involved, nothing would ever have changed.

I'm also done reading the NY Post after what they did. Screw that ridiculous paper. The problem is the media feels they're owed. As if they knew what it takes to play the game. Cheating has been going on forever in baseball. How come there was never any dirt printed back then? Because they had more respect for the players who played the game. That's gone out the window. Screw all the cheap idiots like Lupica with their selfserving agendas who probably don't have any balls.

Do I feel bad that this record won't be celebrated? Not really. Baseball did it to themselves.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#38 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,889 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:47 PM

wow i agree with derek - something's wrong here.

well put

#39 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,762 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:48 PM

It had to happen sometime. Mutual respect man.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#40 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,891 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:00 PM

Bonds is on ROIDZ like a madman. He'll tkae the Giambi route and wate a little while before admitting it, (maybe say someone g'gave it to him' unknowingly).. at least now that his name is in the record-books.

Anyone hear about the book to come out? The author that described percicely how Bonds took roidz is making a new one, and he says "Arod is specifically mentioned"... I dont believe him for sh!t, Arod got thinner not more manster-like.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users