1024 replies to this topic

#461 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,944 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

Kostritzer is great. It's dark, but not the least bit heavy.

I was in NYC twice this week for concerts at MSG and hit this place up before the show both nights. Awesome beer selection, and the food was very good. I'll definitely be back.

Rattle N Hum

http://www.rattlenhumbarnyc.com/

#462 Copper Kettle

Copper Kettle

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

Not sure if anyone has seen the Beerjobber site. I signed up and placed my first order this week, supposed to be delivered next week. I ordered an IPA from South Dakota and some tall fellers from Wyoming.

It's a bit pricey, with the shipping and all, but still cheaper than good beer you will buy in a pub, and they have lots of beers you won't see in NJ.

#463 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,944 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

Had the Rouge Hazelnut Brown Nectar the other day.....freaking awesome.

Posted Image

I actually drank it while eating fish and chips which worked out pretty well. Then again, anything deep fried with any beer is usually a safe bet.

I finally got around to trying it. That stuff is awesome!

#464 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,396 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:55 AM

Do you guys like flavored coffee?

I'm not being sarcastic or judging I just wondered. I hate flavored coffee. I hate sugar in coffee - to me all that makes it taste revolting. but I do like lactose sweetness so I have milk or cream in coffee - steamed milk is the sweetest! YUM!

Can anyone here NOT taste that food coloring taste in cake frosting? My brother-in-law (both married in to the family) and I can't handle it - we're piggies but we never have the cakes the family gets. No one in my husbands family can taste that awful food coloring taste! :yucky:

I'm just interested from the beer tasting angle. I wonder who of us can, with some certainty, assume we're taste the same thing.

Edited by Pepperkorn, 12 March 2012 - 07:58 AM.

I'm here for the party

#465 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,004 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:00 AM

I can't stand flavored coffee and boycott the machine when people load it up with pumped in food flavoring. I usually annoy people by claiming I can taste the mocha/mint or whatever it was for many brews after.

#466 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,687 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

I almost never drink coffee save maybe 1 or 2 times a year.

I also do not care for beers that remind me of coffee (stouts, porters, etc).

#467 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,944 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:58 AM

I drink regular coffee every day, black, no sugar, no milk or cream.

I used to drink it light and sweet, but after a while, because it was loaded up with so much extra stuff, it got so I couldn't even taste the coffee anymore. That's why I stopped putting anything in it. I don't drink hazelnut- or French vanilla-flavored coffees anymore either.

As for me liking that hazelnut brown nectar beer, I wouldn't drink a bunch of them in one sitting. Usually when I drink craft beers, I like to mix it up. I'll have a stout, then maybe an ale, then maybe an IPA, then maybe a pilsner to freshen the palate and then back to whatever.

#468 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:49 AM

Do you guys like flavored coffee?

I'm not being sarcastic or judging I just wondered. I hate flavored coffee. I hate sugar in coffee - to me all that makes it taste revolting. but I do like lactose sweetness so I have milk or cream in coffee - steamed milk is the sweetest! YUM!

Can anyone here NOT taste that food coloring taste in cake frosting? My brother-in-law (both married in to the family) and I can't handle it - we're piggies but we never have the cakes the family gets. No one in my husbands family can taste that awful food coloring taste! :yucky:

I'm just interested from the beer tasting angle. I wonder who of us can, with some certainty, assume we're taste the same thing.

I don't really like any kind of coffee, though when Quick Chek comes out with their pumpkin spice cappuccino, I'll get that a couple times before it's gone. I do like coffee stouts though. I hate cake frosting, I always scrape it off.

Edited by devilsfan26, 12 March 2012 - 11:50 AM.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#469 cupcake23

cupcake23

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:02 PM

I hate cake frosting, I always scrape it off.

:blink: :saddevil: :evilcry:
WHYYYYYYY!!!!? Ugh That's the best part.

As for my drink preferences lately, I'm all about Crispin Apple/Pear Cider.

Official keeper of: Kevin Clark, Dr. Murray Seltzer,
The Arena Lounge (outside on Greene and Mullberry), and David Clarkson's lisp.

#470 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

:blink: :saddevil: :evilcry:
WHYYYYYYY!!!!? Ugh That's the best part.

As for my drink preferences lately, I'm all about Crispin Apple/Pear Cider.

Go buy Lindeman's...any lambic go get it...now.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#471 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,396 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:11 PM

I had a JK Scrumpy Farm house hard cider - that was good. Appley not just cidery. It was cool! Ciders here I liek best organic -- I just find they taste better for some weird reason.

I hate lambics - they seem good at first but then they're just disgusting!

95crash made me realise I dont think I drink the same beer twice in a row. I have a variety if I have more than one.

I'm here for the party

#472 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:30 AM

I've been on a craft beer spree lately. Not gonna lie, I'm a big fan of Sam Adams - just couldn't drink it during the Super Bowl - bad juju. But I've been after the 'big-bottle' varieties lately. I've had all the "Small Batch Collection" varieties except for the one called Vixen (Chocolate Chili Bock) These are the other ones in the collection:

Griffin's Bow - barleywine
Tasman Red - Red IPA
Third Voyage - Double IPA
Dark Depths - Blatic IPA
Cinder Bock - Rauch Bock

and there are 2 more coming out - Norse Legend Sahti and Verloren Gose (verloren being German referring to a 'lost' art of brewing)

Then there's the Barrel Room Collection

American Kreik - good stuff if you like cherry
Thirteenth Hour - stout
New World - Tripel
(There was a 4th I've never had, cause it's been discontinued - Stony Brook Red)
These are all pretty good imo, all generally come from the same start, then the brewers were allowed to play around and experiment in the barrel room while the beer aged. They come in big corked bottles and they're going to run you about $7-8 depending on the store - all these are not generally recommended for "everyday" consumption.

And of course I've had Infinium. in 2010 when they made it, the price was ~$20 and was pretty rare - only "2 pallets" were distributed to NJ. Managed to get a hold of 4 bottles then.
They made it again in 2011 and just last week found a place that still stocked it, figured it'd be gone again esp by March. Worked with the oldest brewery in the world - Weihenstephan in Bavaria (been around since 1040), another one of my fav brands. 10% alc. It's like they made champagne out of beer.

Never had Utopias but would love to one day. Also had almost all their varieties I could find in stores over the years.

Other than that, getting into Brooklyn beer. Just got their Local 1 and Local 2 and even one they claim "doesn't exist" - Brooklyn Black Ops, can't wait to try them soon.

I like a lot of different beers, Sam of course being my favorite. I just like to enjoy my beer instead of chugging it down to get drunk. Bud, Coors, Miller all the conglomerate stuff is swill to me, I'll drink it if I have to, like at a party or $1 draft night, but wouldn't buy it for myself.

I think my big challenge lately has been finding places that actually have the big craft collection they advertise. most are just 3 shelves, about 6' wide and stuff I'd be a little apprehensive to try.

I work in Somerset and my bro lives in Edison so I checked out Oak Tree in south plainfield when I was out that way, real nice - whole back wall is craft. For western NJ - Bourbon Street surprised me, a whole side of an aisle was craft.

anyway, for those that like sam and brooklyn, there's some suggestions...

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#473 Copper Kettle

Copper Kettle

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:05 PM

Had the Crow Peak 11th Hour IPA today.

Crow Peak 11 IPA

They have a bunch of beers worth trying.

#474 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,944 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

Crap, I just found out that I missed out on a recent shipment of Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout. I don't know if I'm ever going to be able to try that stuff.

:argh:

#475 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

Crap, I just found out that I missed out on a recent shipment of Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout. I don't know if I'm ever going to be able to try that stuff.

:argh:

It's hard to get a bottle of that since stores tend to keep a list of preferred customers and only hand out the bottles to people on the list. It wasn't always like this, a couple years ago you were able to buy a 4-pack no problem as long as you knew when to go to the store.

Your best bet is to attend a Founders tap takeover event. Looks like there is one in Manhattan tonight and no more listed in this area right now, but sometimes events are added just weeks beforehand so it's good to keep checking that page regularly. Also Philly Beer Week is in June and Founders had a few great events for that last year so I'm expecting they will be around again this time too hopefully.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#476 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,944 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

It's hard to get a bottle of that since stores tend to keep a list of preferred customers and only hand out the bottles to people on the list. It wasn't always like this, a couple years ago you were able to buy a 4-pack no problem as long as you knew when to go to the store.

Your best bet is to attend a Founders tap takeover event. Looks like there is one in Manhattan tonight and no more listed in this area right now, but sometimes events are added just weeks beforehand so it's good to keep checking that page regularly. Also Philly Beer Week is in June and Founders had a few great events for that last year so I'm expecting they will be around again this time too hopefully.

Thanks, yesterday I contacted one of the liquor stores I occasionally go to, and they advised me to get on their Beer List. Maybe next time I'll have a shot at getting a bottle or two.

#477 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

Thanks, yesterday I contacted one of the liquor stores I occasionally go to, and they advised me to get on their Beer List. Maybe next time I'll have a shot at getting a bottle or two.

Yea it helps to pop in on a regular basis and talk to the beer guy. They tend to keep these limited release beers in the back for people they recognize.
--John Buccigross

#478 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:18 AM

Do not like Blue Moon at all, but their Pale Moon is outstanding.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#479 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:18 AM

I just had Weyerbacher Heresy last night. It's an oak aged imperial stout. There's not much hype about this one, but I found it to be a poor man's KBS. Much easier to attain and more affordable too, and still a hell of a beer. KBS is definitely better, but if you are devoid of any, Heresy is a fine substitute.
--John Buccigross

#480 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,944 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:36 PM

I just had Weyerbacher Heresy last night. It's an oak aged imperial stout. There's not much hype about this one, but I found it to be a poor man's KBS. Much easier to attain and more affordable too, and still a hell of a beer. KBS is definitely better, but if you are devoid of any, Heresy is a fine substitute.

That's funny. It just so happens a friend of mine brought some over when he came to my house last week. Good stuff. I still have one bottle left.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users