1024 replies to this topic

#501 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:22 AM

Tried another Oskar Blues brew tonight ... G'Knight. It's an imperial red. Decent brew. Very hoppy, as one can tend to expect from an independent brewer these days (when in doubt, add more hops). No complaints as it seems to be done in fine balance, but I'd prefer a can of Dale's Pale Ale if I'm going for a can of hoppy brew from Oskar Blues.

The second half of my evening beering came from Deviant Dale. More Oskar Blues. Love that brewery.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#502 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,004 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:17 AM

I like red Ales. I guess I will pick it up, but I hate overpowering Elmers glue hops. If its that strong I will pass.

#503 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:37 AM

Great read. I've been to some of the places the mentioned, I've got a couple places to try this summer now.

Ship Inn is great. Awesome food, good beer. I had a porter there a couple years ago that was to die for.

I've been or tried all that was mentioned in the article except ship inn. Just kinda out of the way for me. I do have to say that trap rock is def underrated while I think harvest moon is slightly overrated. Long valley brew pub still is the hidden gem in that collection and their awards for their beers speaks volumes for that. Was there last week and it was excellent as always.

#504 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

I like red Ales. I guess I will pick it up, but I hate overpowering Elmers glue hops. If its that strong I will pass.

I like hops, but I don't like the recent trend of packing more hops in at the expense of other flavors. A good pale ale packs a punch, but there's something else going on. Pure hops are just boring.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#505 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:03 PM

What good reds would you recommend? I'd like to try some.

#506 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:02 AM

Had Founders Cerise beer the other night and it was probably the most fruity of the fruit beers I have ever had. However, it tasted very medicine-y and quite frankly not that pleasant to drink.

Every Founders beer I have had were duds. IDK a lot of people seem to like them but I think Founders thinks taste = high alcohol content and overpowering flavors. All their beers taste the same to me.

#507 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:50 AM

Oh man really?? They are easily my favorite brewery. I'm not a big fan of Cerise though. What other beers have you had by them?

Backwoods Bastard and KBS are phenomenal, but are kind of hard to find. Some of their rare tap-only beers are easily among the best in the world, like Canadian Breakfast Stout, Cashew Mountain Brown, and Curmudgeon's Better Half. But hey if you don't like them then good, more for me!

For Independence Day this year I'll be picking up a Yards Ales of the Revolution variety pack. Each of these beers is based on a historical figure's recipe.

General Washington's Tavern Porter
Thomas Jefferson's Tavern Ale
Poor Richard's Tavern Spruce
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#508 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:15 PM

Oh man really?? They are easily my favorite brewery. I'm not a big fan of Cerise though. What other beers have you had by them?

Backwoods Bastard and KBS are phenomenal, but are kind of hard to find. Some of their rare tap-only beers are easily among the best in the world, like Canadian Breakfast Stout, Cashew Mountain Brown, and Curmudgeon's Better Half. But hey if you don't like them then good, more for me!

For Independence Day this year I'll be picking up a Yards Ales of the Revolution variety pack. Each of these beers is based on a historical figure's recipe.

Haven't tried Poor Richard's, but I love the Yards Revolution beers.

On the subject of Founders, I've liked what I've had from them. Just got the Dirty Bastard Scotch ale, which is as good as any of the imports I've gotten from Scotland.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#509 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:27 PM

I've had cerise, kbs and bastard and really wasnt blown away by any. Kbs was the best out of the three I would say with bastard and then cerise following but they were all just meh to me. I guess they just do not resonate with me.

As for favorite breweries that is tough for me. I like Sam Adams line up, love dogfish head and river horse, and really digging the carton from Atlantic highlands recently. I also like the beers from triumph, trap rock and long valley brew pub.

As for yards those ales of the revolution are excellent. My favorite is the tavern spruce followed by Jefferson's tavern ale.

#510 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:17 AM

Got hell or high watermelon today. cant wait to try it later tonight. I dont think I have ever been this excited for a beer all because of what was said about it in this topic.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#511 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:32 AM

Got hell or high watermelon today. cant wait to try it later tonight. I dont think I have ever been this excited for a beer all because of what was said about it in this topic.

I got a couple of 6-packs about a month ago. Still have a couple of cans left and great for tailgating.

#512 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

I have to say, I shared this 6 pack with a buddy of mine and I wasnt to impressed. It was to "watered down" for my liking. I can tell that this brewery has good beer but I dont know if I would get that beer again. :unsure:

Posted Image
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#513 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:28 PM

I have to say, I shared this 6 pack with a buddy of mine and I wasnt to impressed. It was to "watered down" for my liking. I can tell that this brewery has good beer but I dont know if I would get that beer again. :unsure:

While I do like it I feel last years batch was better. It is a fruit beer meant to be downed on hot days pure and simple. Right now I'm into fruit beers and saisons this summer.

#514 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:17 PM

While I do like it I feel last years batch was better. It is a fruit beer meant to be downed on hot days pure and simple. Right now I'm into fruit beers and saisons this summer.

Yeah I hear you. I always enjoy fruity beers over anything else. I guess the problem with watermelon is its a "watery" fruit to begin with so you add that to a beer and its oging to taste like its watered down to start. It was super light and if I were actually outside today working it would have been alot better.

Posted Image

#515 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:24 AM

I think the base of that beer is a little weak and that's probably what you're talking about. I enjoy the beer as a nice refreshing summer beer, but I think it could be great if they went a little heavier on the wheat and maybe toned down the carbonation so it wouldn't be as light and fizzy.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#516 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

I've had cerise, kbs and bastard and really wasnt blown away by any. Kbs was the best out of the three I would say with bastard and then cerise following but they were all just meh to me. I guess they just do not resonate with me.

As for favorite breweries that is tough for me. I like Sam Adams line up, love dogfish head and river horse, and really digging the carton from Atlantic highlands recently. I also like the beers from triumph, trap rock and long valley brew pub.

As for yards those ales of the revolution are excellent. My favorite is the tavern spruce followed by Jefferson's tavern ale.

I gotta hand it to you, judging from your stated tastes, you really do a good job of not only supporting, but also favoring, your local breweries. Practically every brewery you mentioned is from New Jersey or its surrounding areas.

Edited by 95Crash, 10 July 2012 - 09:50 AM.

#517 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:58 AM

I think the base of that beer is a little weak and that's probably what you're talking about. I enjoy the beer as a nice refreshing summer beer, but I think it could be great if they went a little heavier on the wheat and maybe toned down the carbonation so it wouldn't be as light and fizzy.

Yeah thats a good way to put it.

Posted Image

#518 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:19 AM

I gotta hand it to you, judging from your stated tastes, you really do a good job of not only supporting, but also favoring, your local breweries. Practically every brewery you mentioned is from New Jersey or its surrounding areas.

Yeah and the funny thing is there is no conscience effort on my part on that. It just happens to be that.

I think some of the theories to that is I feel local brews are fresher tasting. A lot of smaller breweries out west (like all small breweries) do not have a wide distribution network and by the time a lot of them reach here, they are not exactly as fresh as I would think their brewers would like it to be for the consumer. Another thing is I really prefer the German-style of brewing and a lot of brewers on the east coast, in particular eastern PA and NJ area have that same sort of style. Same goes for a lot in the Great Lakes area. A lot of breweries in the Pacific Northwest and west coast are more dependant on IPAs, Porters and Stouts and heavier beers in general that the Germans are not really that known for.

The one west coast brewery that I really like is 21st Amendment. However I will admit their Hell or High Watermelon is not as good as last year's batch and I hate the fact that all their beers are only available in cans.

I tried it at home once in the evening and honestly I thought it was just alright. However when I brought it to the beach on a day when it was almost 100 degrees and after it is has been in my cooler for a few hours, it tasted like drinking magical angel beer.

#519 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

A couple of wheat beers I tried recently and liked --

from High Point Brewing Company (Butler, NJ):

Posted Image

http://beeradvocate....file/607/37776/

and from Sierra Nevada Brewing Company (Chico, Calif.):

Posted Image

http://beeradvocate....file/140/48434/

#520 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:18 AM

A couple of wheat beers I tried recently and liked --

from High Point Brewing Company (Butler, NJ):

Posted Image

http://beeradvocate....file/607/37776/

and from Sierra Nevada Brewing Company (Chico, Calif.):

Posted Image

http://beeradvocate....file/140/48434/

I keep forgetting about High Point as well as Cricket Hill. I have to be on the lookout for that High Point beer as it sounds great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users