1016 replies to this topic

#641 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

Stone Enjoy by 5.17.13 has been distributed.  If you like IPAs you MUST go get this.  Was lucky enough to grab one last night at Joe Canals in Lawrenceville but had to ask an employee for it who fetched it from a stockpile in the backroom.  Looks like they are keeping it on the DL. Anyway it was excellent.  $7.49/22oz.

Take a look:

http://beeradvocate....ofile/147/84596

#642 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

Stone Enjoy by 5.17.13 has been distributed.  If you like IPAs you MUST go get this.  Was lucky enough to grab one last night at Joe Canals in Lawrenceville but had to ask an employee for it who fetched it from a stockpile in the backroom.  Looks like they are keeping it on the DL. Anyway it was excellent.  $7.49/22oz.

Take a look:

http://beeradvocate....ofile/147/84596

My local has this on tap and it's phenomenal.  I'm usually not a big fan of the Stone Enjoy By series, but they killed it on this one.  A must have for IPA fans.

Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#643 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,769 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

It's different than the others?  I thought they are all the same.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#644 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,940 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

I had the Stone Enjoy by 5-17-13 on tap on Saturday and liked it a lot as well.

Has anyone had Founders All Day IPA or Founders Double Trouble? I saw both in stores near me and will probably give them a shot next before they're gone.

Edited by 95Crash, 30 April 2013 - 03:06 PM.

#645 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,769 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:37 AM

I think Double Trouble is awesome.  All Day I didn't really like very much but then again it's not supposed to be anything groundbreaking.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#646 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,940 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

I just heard that the All Day was light and a little fruity, good for hot days. I was thinking of putting a few aside for the summer, but will it still taste good?

On the one hand, people say to check the bottle date on beer bottles before buying them so that you know how fresh the beer is -- because supposedly it will taste better if it's still fresh.

But then on the other hand, I sometimes hear about people waiting a few years before opening their beer bottle, letting it age in the basement -- because supposedly it will taste better.

So which is it, do beers get old or do they get better with age? Or does it depend on the type of beer?

#647 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,629 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

I just heard that the All Day was light and a little fruity, good for hot days. I was thinking of putting a few aside for the summer, but will it still taste good?

On the one hand, people say to check the bottle date on beer bottles before buying them so that you know how fresh the beer is -- because supposedly it will taste better if it's still fresh.

But then on the other hand, I sometimes hear about people waiting a few years before opening their beer bottle, letting it age in the basement -- because supposedly it will taste better.

So which is it, do beers get old or do they get better with age? Or does it depend on the type of beer?

Depends on the type.

#648 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,769 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

Yeah hoppy beers you want to drink fresh.  The flavor of the hops fades over time so it won't taste as good later on.  It won't be bad for you like spoiled milk or anything like that, just won't taste the way it's meant to.  Big beers like imperial stouts, quads, and barleywines can be aged as the hops aren't really the focal point in those beers and the harshness of the high alcohol content will mellow out. 

There is some disagreement on certain varieties though, for example many say if it's a coffee stout it should be had fresh before the coffee fades out.  Bourbon barrel-aged stouts some say are better fresh before the bourbon flavor fades, but the rest of the beer sometimes will improve if you let it age for a while, so it's up to you to do some experimenting and see what aspects of these beers you want magnified when you drink it.  Sometimes for bourbon barrel-aged stouts I let them sit a few months so it mellows out without the bourbon flavor disappearing.

I like to age beers and then when I'm going to drink it I buy a fresh one so I can do a comparison.  When you do this with the same beer of a few consecutive years, it's called a vertical.  It's interesting to see how the beer changes from year to year.

If you're going to age beer, ideal conditions are a cool, dark place I think around 50 degrees.  Keeping beer refrigerated will slow down the aging, so if you're aging beer you don't want it just sitting in the back of the fridge for months.  The top shelf of a closet or something is probably a good spot.  I keep my aging beers in a kitchen cabinet.  It's probably not the perfect conditions since it gets hot in there sometimes, but I don't have a basement so it's good enough for me.

Edited by devilsfan26, 01 May 2013 - 11:16 PM.

--John Buccigross

#649 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:25 AM

The only IPA I can think of that ages well is Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA which can get near 20% ABV with a little age. I guess you can call 120 an IPA although I think 90 Minute is a hoppier beer. :)

Good stuff there devilsfan26.

#650 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,940 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

Yes, thanks devilsfan26

#651 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,769 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:05 PM

The only IPA I can think of that ages well is Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA which can get near 20% ABV with a little age. I guess you can call 120 an IPA although I think 90 Minute is a hoppier beer. :)

Good stuff there devilsfan26.

Well the aging has no effect on the ABV percentage but yeah you can definitely age that one, it's more like a barleywine than an IPA.  The 120 is hoppier than the 90, but it also has more of everything else lol.  I have had it fresh and didn't really care for it, felt like there was too much going on and it wasn't really that enjoyable.  I have a bottle that we are aging though so we'll see how that one is.

--John Buccigross

#652 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,940 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

Well the aging has no effect on the ABV percentage but yeah you can definitely age that one, it's more like a barleywine than an IPA.  The 120 is hoppier than the 90, but it also has more of everything else lol.  I have had it fresh and didn't really care for it, felt like there was too much going on and it wasn't really that enjoyable.  I have a bottle that we are aging though so we'll see how that one is.

I can only imagine how many different bottles you have aging right now LOL. I picture your kitchen cabinet stocked top to bottom with beer :lol:

#653 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,769 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:38 PM

Haha it's not that crazy, here's a picture I just took.

Attached File  DSC02416.JPG   70.86KB   19 downloads

--Bunch of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot from 2011, 2012, and 2013
--Weyerbacher Insanity from 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012
--Brooklyn Monster Ale from 2011 and 2012

--Boulder Killer Penguin barleywine from 2011

--Dogfish Head Immort Ale from 2011

--Dogfish Head Olde School from 2012

--Oskar Blues Ten Fidy from 2012

--New Holland Pilgrim's Dole wheatwine from 2010

--Avery The Beast from I think 2010

--Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA from 2011

--Sam Adams Triple Bock from 1997 (see footnote two posts below)

--Founders KBS from 2012 (didn't get any this year :( )

--Founders Backwoods Bastard from 2012
--Founders Bolt Cutter

--Dogfish Head 75 Minute IPA (letting it sit a few months to see how the maple flavor takes over the hops)

--and the big bottle in front is the new bourbon barrel-aged imperial stout from Kane, A Night to End All Dawns

Edited by devilsfan26, 03 May 2013 - 08:18 PM.

--John Buccigross

#654 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

Damn dude thats a nice little cellar. Respect.  I haven't had a Killer Penguin since I left CO.  Love that brew.  The Beast is also a favorite.  Jealous.

#655 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,769 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:17 PM

Doh I just realized I totally forgot to write the footnote for the Sam Adams Triple Bock haha.  Anyway, that beer was only brewed three times, all in the 90s.  It is pretty notorious on beeradvocate.com.  I'm not sure if it was good when it was fresh or what, but somehow people have ended with bottles of it more recently, a buddy of mine and I each picked up a bottle at Joe Canal's in Iselin about two or three years ago.  We opened his up and everyone that tried some agreed it was soy sauce haha.

Here is its beeradvocate page.

And here is one guy's review of it, one of the funniest things I've ever read

Edited by devilsfan26, 03 May 2013 - 10:04 PM.

--John Buccigross

#656 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,769 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

Damn dude thats a nice little cellar. Respect.  I haven't had a Killer Penguin since I left CO.  Love that brew.  The Beast is also a favorite.  Jealous.

I've never had The Beast.  A buddy of mine gave it to me for Christmas or something a few years ago and I've just been saving it for some celebratory occasion since it's so high in ABV it can sit around for years.

--John Buccigross

#657 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

Doh I just realized I totally forgot to write the footnote for the Sam Adams Triple Bock haha.  Anyway, that beer was only brewed three times, all in the 90s.  It is pretty notorious on beeradvocate.com.  I'm not sure if it was good when it was fresh or what, but somehow people have ended with bottles of it more recently, a buddy of mine and I each picked up a bottle at Joe Canal's in Iselin about two or three years ago.  We opened his up and everyone that tried some agreed it was soy sauce haha.

Here is its beeradvocate page.

And here is one guy's review of it, one of the funniest things I've ever read

That review is amazing.  "As soon as the thick, tarry stool sample caressed my tongue, I knew I had been fundamentally changed..."

#658 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,940 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

Nice collection devilsfan26!

What's the deal with Founders KBS? Was it supposed to get released in NJ this year? I know that it gets an extremely limited shipment when it does. Did I miss it yet again? I still have yet to try it.

Also I have never seen Backwoods Bastard.

#659 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,769 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:02 AM

Yeah KBS came and gone.  These days you generally have to be on a store's reserve list to get some and I never got a call so I guess I'm not on Joe Canal's list anymore.  Some places don't do the list and you just have to get to the store the day it comes out, or what Marketplace Wines in East Brunswick did is put together a box of 20 other Founders beers that you had to buy in order to be able to purchase a KBS.  I heard these store-made packages contained some old IPAs and pale ales that were well beyond their shelf life.  Pretty lame in my opinion. 

You used to be able to get a four pack of KBS no problem just by getting to the store on the day Founders said it would come out.  Then supposedly the Buy Rite in Jersey City got caught selling it before the release date, so Founders sent their limited release beers to use later than other states to avoid that happening again so you never really know what day it's going to be available now, and with craft beer becoming so popular over the past couple years, you're lucky if you can get your hands on one bottle these days.

Backwoods Bastard is almost as hard to find, but there's not as much hysteria about it.  It usually comes out in the fall and I think generally you have to ask for it, it probably won't be sitting on the shelf.

With some of these beers now your best bet is to check Founders' website once in a while for tap takeovers they are doing in the area.  They tend to have some of these rarer beers on tap.

Edited by devilsfan26, 08 May 2013 - 06:02 AM.

--John Buccigross

#660 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,388 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:44 AM

My brother in law has a special beer fridge just for beer with special temperature gauge just as if it were wine. That's for fresh stuff though.

Fullers Reserve, Oak aged and Vintage ales - those are indeed, of course... kept in the actual -_- beer cellar....

I'm here for the party

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users