Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:02 AM

Since there is talk now of Founders, there is an event for a tap takeover:

May 31st at Uno's in Hamilton Twp, NJ.

Uno Chicago Grill and Brewery
Hamilton 225 Sloan Ave
Hamilton Township, NJ 08619
609-890-0864
www.unos.com

You can try many of their overrated beers at this event.

#662 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:03 PM

Since there is talk now of Founders, there is an event for a tap takeover:

May 31st at Uno's in Hamilton Twp, NJ.

Uno Chicago Grill and Brewery
Hamilton 225 Sloan Ave
Hamilton Township, NJ 08619
609-890-0864
www.unos.com

You can try many of their overrated beers at this event.

LOL, good one.

What's your favorite brewery or breweries?

#663 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,490 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

LOL, good one.

What's your favorite brewery or breweries?

In no particular order:

Sam Adams

Dogfish Head

Yards

Carton

Kane

Riverhorse

Climax

Triumph - Local NJ Brewpub

Long Valley Brew Pub - Local NJ Brewpub

Allagash

Pilsner Urquell

Victory

Sorry but I have had Founders beers and they are as pretentious as they come.  I know they get outstanding reviews on Beer Advocate but I still find it hard to believe people love their beers when every single one I have had barely had any "beer" taste to it.  It's one of those beers where since so many people claim it's good, if you do not like it then "there is something wrong with you" or "you don't like a good beer" nonsense is thrown at you.

Thus is the reason why you highlighted that part and asked me what I liked.

#664 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

No, no, no, that wasn't it at all! ... I think it is a good thing that we're honest here if we don't like a certain type of beer or a brewer in general. This thread won't be very informative if all we do is mention beers that we like but not ones we don't like.

I remember you saying in the past that you like pilseners and other German styles of beer. I happen to like lots of those styles of beer too -- although I do like almost every Founders brew I have tasted, LOL.

I REALLY was interested to hear what brewers you liked, HONEST, LOL.

#665 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,490 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

No, no, no, that wasn't it at all! ... I think it is a good thing that we're honest here if we don't like a certain type of beer or a brewer in general. This thread won't be very informative if all we do is mention beers that we like but not ones we don't like.

I remember you saying in the past that you like pilseners and other German styles of beer. I happen to like lots of those styles of beer too -- although I do like almost every Founders brew I have tasted, LOL.

I REALLY was interested to hear what brewers you liked, HONEST, LOL.

Oh ok sorry then I apologize lol.

Every time I say to another beer nut that I am not a fan of Founders I get a reaction like I just committed an awful crime.

I do tend to like the Pilsners and other German styles.  I also have in the last year or so fallen in love with IPA's.  I do appreciate Stouts and Porters but I doubt I will ever really like them the way I like others.

Belgium styles I am on the fence on.  I guess depends on who is the brewer.

#666 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:03 AM

I would venture to guess you don't like Founders because you don't like the style they make.  If you're looking for European styles, then it's no wonder you don't like Founders, they are an American brewery making American styles of beer. 

My tastes seem to be much different than yours, I'm not that big a fan of pilsners, German beers, or Belgians, but I'm not going to discredit breweries like Weihenstephaner or Chimay.  I'm sure they make great beers if you're into those styles, but for me they are just so-so because I'm not crazy about the styles of beer they make.  Also I don't know who these people you hang out with are that always criticize you for not liking stouts or Founders' beers, but they don't sound like fun people to drink beer with.

Also I've seen people use the phrase "beer flavor" before and I never understand what exactly they mean.  It seems to me that "beer flavor" is just whatever the person saying it wants beer to taste like, but since there is such a wide variety of styles and everyone has different tastes, how can anyone really define "beer flavor?"

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#667 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,490 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:30 AM

I would venture to guess you don't like Founders because you don't like the style they make.  If you're looking for European styles, then it's no wonder you don't like Founders, they are an American brewery making American styles of beer. 

My tastes seem to be much different than yours, I'm not that big a fan of pilsners, German beers, or Belgians, but I'm not going to discredit breweries like Weihenstephaner or Chimay.  I'm sure they make great beers if you're into those styles, but for me they are just so-so because I'm not crazy about the styles of beer they make.  Also I don't know who these people you hang out with are that always criticize you for not liking stouts or Founders' beers, but they don't sound like fun people to drink beer with.

Also I've seen people use the phrase "beer flavor" before and I never understand what exactly they mean.  It seems to me that "beer flavor" is just whatever the person saying it wants beer to taste like, but since there is such a wide variety of styles and everyone has different tastes, how can anyone really define "beer flavor?"

What exactly is "American Style" beer?  Every person I ask has a totally different definition of what am American-style beer is.  Some say its lager, some say it's stuff that Founders make, some say it is Pale Ales.  It is really just all over the place.

To me Founders tries to be experimental like Dogfish Head, but I feel that at least Dogfish keeps at least somewhat of a beer taste and feeling to them (When you cannot or barely taste any of four main ingredients of beer, then to me it is not a beer).  Founders just basically throws anything in there and hope it works.  I think they are a brewery whose reputation is masking some of the real feelings and opinions about their beers.

Also, it is not just people I hang out with who look at me like I am crazy when I say I am not a fan of Founders.  It even includes those who I meet at the bar and talk beer with them.  Apparently I cannot like true beer to almost all of them if I do not like Founders.

I like a variety of styles and while I do like the European style the most, I do appreciate the American styles (whatever that may be) of beers that craft breweries all across the country make.  I just think Founders is not that good at all.

#668 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:54 PM

Brandywine Valley Beer Fest - May 18th.  Looks good. Limited tickets still available.

http://www.victorybe...l/?instance_id=

#669 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:20 PM

What exactly is "American Style" beer?  Every person I ask has a totally different definition of what am American-style beer is.  Some say its lager, some say it's stuff that Founders make, some say it is Pale Ales.  It is really just all over the place.

To me Founders tries to be experimental like Dogfish Head, but I feel that at least Dogfish keeps at least somewhat of a beer taste and feeling to them (When you cannot or barely taste any of four main ingredients of beer, then to me it is not a beer).  Founders just basically throws anything in there and hope it works.  I think they are a brewery whose reputation is masking some of the real feelings and opinions about their beers.

Also, it is not just people I hang out with who look at me like I am crazy when I say I am not a fan of Founders.  It even includes those who I meet at the bar and talk beer with them.  Apparently I cannot like true beer to almost all of them if I do not like Founders.

I like a variety of styles and while I do like the European style the most, I do appreciate the American styles (whatever that may be) of beers that craft breweries all across the country make.  I just think Founders is not that good at all.

Well I wouldn't say there is a singular "American style," what I meant was the styles they make are American styles.  I haven't seen many European breweries making IPAs and imperial stouts.  That's basically what I was talking about.

I think Dogfish Head is overrated, but I still like them and when they come out with new beers I give them a shot.  I think Dogfish Head uses more outside ingredients than Founders does, but Founders does more with barrel-aging.

At the end of the day, there is a style of beer for everyone.  If you don't like it, it doesn't mean that everyone else is wrong, or conversely that they are right and you are wrong.  The way I see it, craft breweries aren't competing sports teams, they are all players on the same underdog team trying to carve out a piece of the marketplace from the mass-produced swill.  I find Dogfish Head overrated but really enjoy some of their beers and appreciate what they do for craft beer and when they come out with new beers I give them a try.  I prefer Founders over Dogfish Head and that's fine.  You prefer Dogfish Head over Founders and that's cool too.  To each their own.

Edited by devilsfan26, 12 May 2013 - 12:37 AM.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#670 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

Interesting debate going on here.  I like both Founders and Dogfish Head but I agree a lot of their individual beers are hit and miss.  Both have concepts that just don't work for me but both also have a few beers I really like that I'd mark as staple beers and buy on a regular basis.  To each their own  :cheers:

#671 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,490 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

See I think it's the barrel aging part that gets me to not like most of founders stuff. To me it's not beer if you have to barrel age it. But in the end you are right as to each their own.

I just don't like for the longest time and still to this day I do get hate from other beer nuts for the fact that I don't fall over myself in love with founders. I don't get it from this forum so I am not pointing that finger at anyone on this board but I do get a lot of it from people i have met in real life. Just tired of it

#672 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

I just don't like for the longest time and still to this day I do get hate from other beer nuts for the fact that I don't fall over myself in love with founders. I don't get it from this forum so I am not pointing that finger at anyone on this board but I do get a lot of it from people i have met in real life. Just tired of it

Yeah, that's pretty lame.  I would be just as annoyed if people were getting on my case for not liking European beers.

--John Buccigross

#673 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,490 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

Interesting article about how some craft brewers are going overboard with the hops:

http://www.slate.com...reputation.html

I sorta agree with the author.  While I do like beers with plenty of hops such as Pilsners and IPA's, I feel a good portion of the craft brewing industry in the US have been going overboard with it.  At some beer festivals it almost seems like craft brewers have been throwing flavor and drinkability out the door to instead go after some dick-measuring contest as to who can put the most hops and alcohol in their beer.

#674 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:21 PM

On the other hand, a lot of people like those overly hoppy beers.  There's room in the craft beer marketplace for both well-balanced smooth IPAs as well as double IPA hop bombs, and I appreciate both.

--John Buccigross

#675 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,490 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:23 AM

On the other hand, a lot of people like those overly hoppy beers.  There's room in the craft beer marketplace for both well-balanced smooth IPAs as well as double IPA hop bombs, and I appreciate both.

I like hops too, but I tend to not like as much the Imperial IPA's as much as the regular IPA's.  The main thing is that I find it harder and harder to find good smooth IPA's as it seems every brewery is in some sort of hop "arms-race" to brew the hoppiest beer in existence.

#676 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:25 AM

I like hops too, but I tend to not like as much the Imperial IPA's as much as the regular IPA's.  The main thing is that I find it harder and harder to find good smooth IPA's as it seems every brewery is in some sort of hop "arms-race" to brew the hoppiest beer in existence.

For me it depends on the specific beers.  For example I like Kane's Overhead more than Head High, but I like Firestone Walker's Union Jack more than Double Jack.

--John Buccigross

#677 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

Oh ok sorry then I apologize lol.

Every time I say to another beer nut that I am not a fan of Founders I get a reaction like I just committed an awful crime.

I do tend to like the Pilsners and other German styles.  I also have in the last year or so fallen in love with IPA's.  I do appreciate Stouts and Porters but I doubt I will ever really like them the way I like others.

Belgium styles I am on the fence on.  I guess depends on who is the brewer.

I like Founders, but I don't like pilsners much, and my brother likes Founders more than me and hates pilsners. I tend to like Founders powerful/heavy style more than lighter beers, so that may be why you don't like them.

We agree on IPAs and German style beers. If you're ever in St. Louis, check out Urban Chestnut. The bottles they sell are nothing special, but they have some amazing sh!t, most of it German influenced, on sight. They're building a new one, so they're expanding, and I'm hoping that means they improve some of their wholesale stuff soon.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#678 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:30 PM

I sorta agree with the author.  While I do like beers with plenty of hops such as Pilsners and IPA's, I feel a good portion of the craft brewing industry in the US have been going overboard with it.  At some beer festivals it almost seems like craft brewers have been throwing flavor and drinkability out the door to instead go after some dick-measuring contest as to who can put the most hops and alcohol in their beer.

It's not the amount that's the problem, it's the laziness. I love some massively hoppy beers (Stone is my favorite brewery), but you can't call it a day just because you put a ton of hops in your beer. It's the type of hops you use and how they interact with each other and the other ingredients. You can make a really hoppy, alcoholic beer with a great flavor, or you can just knock out people's taste buds and say it's good. While Stone talks a ton of trash about the hop content/knocking out taste buds, there's actually a ton going on in most of their stuff. Pliny the Younger gets mentioned in the article for having way more hops than they need, but it's a great beer. I'm not sure what they do, or if they add different kinds of hops each time, but they got something right. Good brewers know how to use hops as a tool. Worse ones use them as a crutch.

Edited by mouse, 18 May 2013 - 06:35 PM.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#679 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

It's funny, I'm a self admitted hop head and I don't mind the over-hopping, so long as the beer is still tasty.  I think the over-hopping is more of a home brewer mistake as I've yet to have a craft that I felt violently overdid it, to the point I couldn't enjoy it.  Still, to each their own.

On the the Founders debate, I'm a huge fan because I love how aggressive they are but they have some missteps, the Cherise in particular.  I also love Belgians and now the weather is getting warmer, I'm all about my Belgian brews and German hefeweizens.  I had a Westmalle Tripel two weeks ago and it was phenomenal. 

Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#680 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

Damn dude thats a nice little cellar. Respect. I haven't had a Killer Penguin since I left CO. Love that brew. The Beast is also a favorite. Jealous.

nice!

I grew up in CO, where were you at? We're you a fan of the CO Native and New Belgiums?

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users