1024 replies to this topic

#721 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

I have only had a tasting of Intermezzo at Joe Canal's growler station and wasn't really too excited about it and ended up getting a growler of something else instead.  I was excited about Carton opening but am still yet to be impressed by any of their beers.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#722 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:17 PM

I have only had a tasting of Intermezzo at Joe Canal's growler station and wasn't really too excited about it and ended up getting a growler of something else instead.  I was excited about Carton opening but am still yet to be impressed by any of their beers.

It is probably the weakest beer I have had from Carton by a pretty good margin.

Then again, it could have been worse.  It could have been a Founders beer :whistling:

#723 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

It is probably the weakest beer I have had from Carton by a pretty good margin.

Then again, it could have been worse.  It could have been a Founders beer :whistling:

HAHAHAHA. I got a good laugh from this. Well played.

Canals Lawrenceville has Ballast Point Dorado on tap. May try that this week.  Liked the BP Sculpin a lot.

#724 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:04 AM

DevsMan84 : Founders :: LucifersDog : Brodeur   :lol:

The Canal's in Iselin had Dorado on tap like a month ago.  A buddy of mine brought over a growler of it.  I don't remember how it tasted, but I remember thinking it was pretty solid but nothing out of the ordinary considering how many good IPAs are out there.  If you like Sculpin, you should keep an eye out for their habanero variation of it.  They had it on tap at the Iselin Canal's by me a little while ago and man it was awesome.  I don't like spicy food but the kick this beer had was something else.  We paired it with some grilled chicken, it was glorious.

Anyone (other than DevsMan84) pick up any Founders Rubaeus?  It's their spring specialty beer, it is made with raspberries.  They made it in the past but retired it and just brought it back this year because there weren't enough cherries or something for them to make their normal spring beer--Cerise.  I was never a fan of Cerise and usually don't care for fruit beers in general, but man I think this Rubaeus is great.  I usually don't buy more than one four or six pack of the same beer but I got two four packs of this one and apparently the Iselin Joe Canal's is already almost sold out, though I guess the novelty of it is a factor with this one considering how many beer geeks exist now that didn't exist last time this was brewed, myself included.

Edited by devilsfan26, 29 June 2013 - 02:05 AM.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#725 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:32 PM

I'm enjoying a pint from a fresh keg of Old Rasputin. I know it's not for everyone, but that's a damn-good, flavorful stout.
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#726 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

Tried two of the Troeg's scratch beers this weekend: Naked Elf and their Mango Triple IPA.

Naked is their Mad Elf brewed without the honey (?), I think. Great stuff...not as sickly-sweet as Mad.

The Mango IPA was good, not as overwhelmingly floral as their Perpetual IPA. You catch the mango afterwards...very slight, but it's there.
"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#727 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

Are these Troegs scratch beers going to get full distribution or is at the brewery only?

--John Buccigross

#728 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:15 AM

Are these Troegs scratch beers going to get full distribution or is at the brewery only?

Brewery only. Came home with a growler of each.

They usually put some cases and six-packs on sale at the gift shop, but depending on popularity, they could go quickly.

They had the Mango IPA on shelves Friday morning, but cases/sixers were gone by early evening, and only growlers were available afterwards.

They still had sixers of their scratch Witbier at the gift shop on Saturday, which makes sense...just a so-so beverage.
"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#729 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:51 AM

I tried Stoudts Karnival Kolsch over the weekend -- a nice light refreshing beer, excellent for hot summer days.

I had Stoudts Pils once on tap and loved it, but for some reason I can't find it in stores anywhere near me. That's why I bought the kolsch.

I haven't come across many American breweries that make those regular German-style beers very well -- or at least not to my liking.

#730 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,396 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:34 PM

Kolsches underwhelm me thus far.

I'm actually into kombucha... I'm so ashamed and embarrassed.  It's like micro-brew near beers :giggle: my husband wants to puke just picking one up.

I'm here for the party

#731 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:15 PM

I got in a case of Flying Fish F U Sandy today. The description on the bottle sounds really interesting, i bought a bottle and its in my fridge now and ill drink it tomorrow and let everyone know how it is.

I also got in a case of Blue Point No Apologies. I expect it to be just as good as their last limited release they had out, their Sour Cherry Stout.

#732 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,004 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:24 PM

Yea let us know quickly, sounds like it is very limited in #s

#733 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:28 PM

Kolsches underwhelm me thus far.

I'm actually into kombucha... I'm so ashamed and embarrassed.  It's like micro-brew near beers :giggle: my husband wants to puke just picking one up.

It was only my third time drinking a kolsch. It tastes close enough to a lager/pilsener that I am OK with it.

I've been looking for a light, American-made craft beer that I can drink on hot summer days -- aside from wheat beers and fruity beers and summer ales.

I've tried Victory Prima Pils, which is highly rated on Beer Advocate, and Oskar Blues Mama's Little Yella Pils, which isn't rated as high, but they both didn't do anything for me.

I just remembered I do like Sixpoint's The Crisp. And like I said in an earlier post, I had Stoudts Pils on tap and greatly enjoyed it.

I had never heard of kombucha. I had to Google it.

#734 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:41 AM

I got in a case of Flying Fish F U Sandy today. The description on the bottle sounds really interesting, i bought a bottle and its in my fridge now and ill drink it tomorrow and let everyone know how it is.

This first came out a few months ago on tap only, I had a pint of it and remember thinking it was pretty solid but nothing to go crazy about.  Good to see they are bottling it though, is a portion of the proceeds still going to the Sandy Relief Fund or whatever charity it was?  If so I'll probably try to pick up a bottle of it.

--John Buccigross

#735 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:03 PM

This first came out a few months ago on tap only, I had a pint of it and remember thinking it was pretty solid but nothing to go crazy about.  Good to see they are bottling it though, is a portion of the proceeds still going to the Sandy Relief Fund or whatever charity it was?  If so I'll probably try to pick up a bottle of it.

Yeah it just says some of the proceeds will go to relief efforts, it doesn't say how much, which is dumb. I mean its $82 a case for a beer brewed IN the state. You'd think they'd give a good chunk for something that highly priced (about $9.99 retail). Anyway the beer is actually pretty good, it pours a lighter amber color and smells lightly hoppy with a little fruitiness at the end. The taste is just like the smell, light hops at the start, not bitter at all, with a suprisingly smooth finish for a pale ale. Well they call it a hybrid wheat-pale ale. No lingering bad aftertaste that comes with a lot of hopped up beers. Just a real nice taste at the end. They didn't try and over power it like a lot of brands do. This is actually worth the money unlike many of these one-offs that come out.

#736 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:16 PM

I've been looking for a light, American-made craft beer that I can drink on hot summer days -- aside from wheat beers and fruity beers and summer ales.

I like the sly fox pilsner, for what you're looking for, though I'm not usually a pilsner fan.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#737 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

Yeah it just says some of the proceeds will go to relief efforts, it doesn't say how much, which is dumb. I mean its $82 a case for a beer brewed IN the state. You'd think they'd give a good chunk for something that highly priced (about $9.99 retail). Anyway the beer is actually pretty good, it pours a lighter amber color and smells lightly hoppy with a little fruitiness at the end. The taste is just like the smell, light hops at the start, not bitter at all, with a suprisingly smooth finish for a pale ale. Well they call it a hybrid wheat-pale ale. No lingering bad aftertaste that comes with a lot of hopped up beers. Just a real nice taste at the end. They didn't try and over power it like a lot of brands do. This is actually worth the money unlike many of these one-offs that come out.

Eh I wouldn't expect the price to be that much lower for a one-off or limited release like this.  I mean Kane's A Night to End All Dawns was $15 even at the brewery.  I tried Carton's Boat last night and was very unimpressed, not much flavor and it even looks like slightly tinted water.  I want to love this brewery but I keep swinging and missing on all their beers.  I also had Hudson Pale Ale from NJ Brewing Co. last night, that one was solid.

--John Buccigross

#738 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:04 AM

The only Carton Brew I have enjoyed was the 077xx. I thought it was very good.

#739 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

For all you lovers of sub-par beer there is a Founders tap takeover at The Shep in Haledon:

http://www.theshepnj.com/

Here is the tap list:

- Devil Dancer

- Rubaues

- Nitro Pale Ale

- All Day IPA

- Centennial IPA

- Red’s Rye

- Dirty Bastard

- Porter

- specialty Nitro Keg

#740 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:16 AM

DevMan84 - That place looks pretty cool.  The food looks good too.  Have you ever been?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users