1050 replies to this topic

#741 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,776 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:22 AM

DevMan84 - That place looks pretty cool.  The food looks good too.  Have you ever been?

Nope lol not really much in the Haledon area actually.

#742 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

I bet the specialty nitro keg is their oatmeal stout, which is only available on tap.  Seems like a lot of their recent tap takeovers have included this beer on nitro.  I had it a few weeks ago and didn't really care for it.  It wasn't bad, but wasn't as full-bodied as I had hoped.  I would like to try it from a regular tap though, I think the nitro mutes the flavors in exchange for a smoother mouthfeel.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#743 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

Went to Moby's yesterday and had their Carton Wit Whale - it was good.  Not lemony but nice and tart and great with seafood!!  I had a Yeungling and snitched my husbands Carton!

I had been all in love with my woods thinking how the shore can't measure up -- then when we went to the Highlands I just stepped out of the car and what a great sea smell.  So wonderful.  I'm screwed I just love every part of the great outdoors - wherever I am as long as it's fresh and outside I'm happy -- even in the city I thrill at how nature finds a way to thrive even through pavement.

I'm here for the party

#744 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

I like the sly fox pilsner, for what you're looking for, though I'm not usually a pilsner fan.

Thanks for the rec.

Similar to you, I'm normally not a big pilsener fan either. I usually drink pale ales, IPAs and stouts. But seeing as how the weather had been heating up the past couple of weeks, I got the idea that I'd be happier putting some beers on ice, pint glasses in the freezer, and drinking some frosty cold ones -- regardless of what temps the beer experts usually recommend. Boy am I glad I did.

Seeing as how it was Independence Day weekend, I decided to stick with American craft beers. I tried and compared about four different kinds: Victory Prima Pils, Sly Fox Pikeland Pils, Troegs Sunshine Pils and Sixpoint The Crisp.

Happily, I enjoyed them all. But I gotta admit, despite my preconceived notions going in, I found the Victory Pils hit just the right notes. It was very refreshing -- so very important on a hot, humid day -- and each sip left me craving another one. Perfect for summer BBQs and tailgaiting.

The Sly Fox and the Sixpoint scored highly with me too because they came in cans and hence stayed cold longer. The Sly Fox is more of a straight-up pils while The Crisp has some undetected flavors yet is -- as the name says -- very crisp and refreshing. And the Troegs surprised me, especially considering, as ridiculous as it sounds, how the bottle label looked kind of boring to me. I really expected it to be bland and sucky, but it tasted just as good as the Sly Fox.

When the weather gets cool again, I'll surely go back to drinking ales and stouts and the like, but for now, I think I found my new summertime beer style.

#745 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:11 PM

Thanks for the rec.

Similar to you, I'm normally not a big pilsener fan either. I usually drink pale ales, IPAs and stouts. But seeing as how the weather had been heating up the past couple of weeks, I got the idea that I'd be happier putting some beers on ice, pint glasses in the freezer, and drinking some frosty cold ones -- regardless of what temps the beer experts usually recommend. Boy am I glad I did.

Seeing as how it was Independence Day weekend, I decided to stick with American craft beers. I tried and compared about four different kinds: Victory Prima Pils, Sly Fox Pikeland Pils, Troegs Sunshine Pils and Sixpoint The Crisp.

Happily, I enjoyed them all. But I gotta admit, despite my preconceived notions going in, I found the Victory Pils hit just the right notes. It was very refreshing -- so very important on a hot, humid day -- and each sip left me craving another one. Perfect for summer BBQs and tailgaiting.

The Sly Fox and the Sixpoint scored highly with me too because they came in cans and hence stayed cold longer. The Sly Fox is more of a straight-up pils while The Crisp has some undetected flavors yet is -- as the name says -- very crisp and refreshing. And the Troegs surprised me, especially considering, as ridiculous as it sounds, how the bottle label looked kind of boring to me. I really expected it to be bland and sucky, but it tasted just as good as the Sly Fox.

When the weather gets cool again, I'll surely go back to drinking ales and stouts and the like, but for now, I think I found my new summertime beer style.

Thanks for the reviews. I'll probably try a couple of yours this summer, though I'm liking amber lager a lot right now.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#746 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,776 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

Hey forgot to mention a couple new things:

1) Triumph is currently constructing their Red Bank location.  Right now the lot is clear but work is under way and is around the corner from where Basil T's is.  It is part of a mixed residential and commercial project there and will probably open in a year or so.

2) About 2 weeks ago I went to a beer glass tasting presented by Spiegelau.  Speigelau is owned by wine glass maker Riedel and they are famous for coming out a couple months ago with that new IPA-specific glass that was designed in partnership with Dogfish Head and Sierra Nevada.  The tasting was at Miele NA HQ in Princeton and it was $50 for the 90 minute class.  It included beforehand a 30 minute reception with free appetizers and soft drinks and the class also included their beer glass testing set that you got to take home with you (worth $40).  The presenter Julio who is from Spiegelau let you sample beer from each glass and compare it to a regular bar pint glass.

Overall the class was somewhat informative and the beers were alright (had Sierra Nevada Summer Summerfest for the lager glass, Sierra Nevada Kellerweis for the Wheat beer glass, Dogfish Head 60-min IPA for the IPA glass and Chimay blue for the ale/pilsner glass).  Julio was nice and all but maybe perhaps too much salesman and could have toned down his sales pitch as we are already there and we already paid.  Still was pretty fun and you get a high-end glass set which was prett cool.  They are doing the same thing at Mason's Cellar in Rutherford with Julio.  It is $50 and you get the glass set too and it is the same deal.  For some reason I am not seeing the date but it is within the next month if I remember right.  The reception starts at 6 and tasting is at 6:30.  It is something to do to kill a couple of hours in an evening.

Here is the glass set you get to take home: http://www.riedelusa...er-glasses.html

#747 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:25 PM

Hey forgot to mention a couple new things:

1) Triumph is currently constructing their Red Bank location.  Right now the lot is clear but work is under way and is around the corner from where Basil T's is.  It is part of a mixed residential and commercial project there and will probably open in a year or so.

2) About 2 weeks ago I went to a beer glass tasting presented by Spiegelau.  Speigelau is owned by wine glass maker Riedel and they are famous for coming out a couple months ago with that new IPA-specific glass that was designed in partnership with Dogfish Head and Sierra Nevada.  The tasting was at Miele NA HQ in Princeton and it was $50 for the 90 minute class.  It included beforehand a 30 minute reception with free appetizers and soft drinks and the class also included their beer glass testing set that you got to take home with you (worth $40).  The presenter Julio who is from Spiegelau let you sample beer from each glass and compare it to a regular bar pint glass.

Overall the class was somewhat informative and the beers were alright (had Sierra Nevada Summer Summerfest for the lager glass, Sierra Nevada Kellerweis for the Wheat beer glass, Dogfish Head 60-min IPA for the IPA glass and Chimay blue for the ale/pilsner glass).  Julio was nice and all but maybe perhaps too much salesman and could have toned down his sales pitch as we are already there and we already paid.  Still was pretty fun and you get a high-end glass set which was prett cool.  They are doing the same thing at Mason's Cellar in Rutherford with Julio.  It is $50 and you get the glass set too and it is the same deal.  For some reason I am not seeing the date but it is within the next month if I remember right.  The reception starts at 6 and tasting is at 6:30.  It is something to do to kill a couple of hours in an evening.

Here is the glass set you get to take home: http://www.riedelusa...er-glasses.html

:doh1:  I work across the street from Miele. I can see it from my office window.  Wish I had known about this event.

#748 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:46 AM

Has anyone here tried Flying Fish FU Sandy?  It's labeled as a "hybrid wheat pale ale". Wheats usually aren't my thing but I have heard good things about this beer.  Saw it in bombers at Wegmans but passed the first time around.

#749 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

Just picked up a bottle of Weyerbacher Viridis Lupulus (750ml) at Canals Lawrenceville. Although I can't say the name the beer is a new offering from Weyerbacher and sounds good:

Viridis Lupulus is a celebration of the renewal of spring. This will be a new seasonal, being released in spring / early summer each year. Each brew will feature a different selection of hops from year to year. Viridis Lupulus is an unfiltered golden-copper IPA with an aggressive hop profile. Massive amounts of Apollo, Calypso, Centennial, and Galaxy hops fill this beer with dank citrus and tropical aromas. The bottle-conditioning will propel the aromas out of your glass and create a tight, fluffy head. This beer is a pure hop experience!
7.5% ABV, 95 IBU, Bottle Conditioned 750ml cork and cage package only.

http://beeradvocate....eleased.100757/

I will update once I consume  :beerbang:

Edited by gardenstatepkwy, 10 July 2013 - 02:05 PM.

#750 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,776 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

Just picked up a bottle of Weyerbacher Viridis Lupulus (750ml) at Canals Lawrenceville. Although I can't say the name the beer is a new offering from Weyerbacher and sounds good:

Viridis Lupulus is a celebration of the renewal of spring. This will be a new seasonal, being released in spring / early summer each year. Each brew will feature a different selection of hops from year to year. Viridis Lupulus is an unfiltered golden-copper IPA with an aggressive hop profile. Massive amounts of Apollo, Calypso, Centennial, and Galaxy hops fill this beer with dank citrus and tropical aromas. The bottle-conditioning will propel the aromas out of your glass and create a tight, fluffy head. This beer is a pure hop experience!
7.5% ABV, 95 IBU, Bottle Conditioned 750ml cork and cage package only.

http://beeradvocate....eleased.100757/

I will update once I consume  :beerbang:

Basically another beer in a long list of beers where brewers think "let me hop the sh!t out of this beer and hope it sticks!"

I love IPA's but these brewers are just going too nuts trying to out-hop each other for only the sake of it.

#751 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

Has anyone here tried Flying Fish FU Sandy?  It's labeled as a "hybrid wheat pale ale". Wheats usually aren't my thing but I have heard good things about this beer.  Saw it in bombers at Wegmans but passed the first time around.

I had it on tap when they first came out with it a few months ago and a friend of mine brought over a bottle a few days ago.  It comes in 750s by the way, bombers are the 22 oz. bottles which are a little smaller.  I think it's alright, nothing to write home about and if it was on shelves year-round there wouldn't be any buzz about it at all.  It's cool that some of it goes to Sandy relief though.  Also they made a typo right on the top of the label, "Proudly brewed in New Jesery."

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#752 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:33 AM

Basically another beer in a long list of beers where brewers think "let me hop the sh!t out of this beer and hope it sticks!"

I love IPA's but these brewers are just going too nuts trying to out-hop each other for only the sake of it.

Depends. I agree that that's a problem, and haven't tried viridis lupulus yet, but some beers with a ton of different kinds of hops (rather than just a ton of hops) have good layers of flavor. In general, I'll give that kind of beer a chance, though I know I'll sometimes (even often) be disappointed. 

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#753 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:02 AM

Also they made a typo right on the top of the label, "Proudly brewed in New Jesery."

What is it with those hybrid wheats/pales and their typos?

Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin Ale mentions getting one out of the "frige" on their label.

"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#754 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,776 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:47 PM

After today's Kovy news there is not enough craft beer in the world to hide the anger and pain of losing him.

#755 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:10 AM

After today's Kovy news there is not enough craft beer in the world to hide the anger and pain of losing him.

+1

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

#756 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:46 AM

Yep. Still fairly speechless.

#757 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

Hunterdon Distributors just posted on their facebook page the new releases for next week, and it already includes a few pumpkin beers.  :rant:

At this rate, in a few years we will be seeing summer beers on shelves while there is still snow outside and holiday beers will be out before Halloween!

--John Buccigross

#758 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,776 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

Hunterdon Distributors just posted on their facebook page the new releases for next week, and it already includes a few pumpkin beers.  :rant:

At this rate, in a few years we will be seeing summer beers on shelves while there is still snow outside and holiday beers will be out before Halloween!

Yeah the season beer creep is getting worse each year.  The Spring beers that Sam Adams puts out start in mid to late January now and end by mid Febrary.  Then the Summer styles start in mid to late April.

#759 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

Weyerbacher released something about their pumpkin being on the shelves by first week of August (and july 14 in their tasting area!).  You'll find no bigger fan of pumpkin brew than me but it is ridiculous.  I don't usually want a pumpkin beer on a 99 degree day in mid August.  I want it in late September-November when I'm watching football and the leaves are changing colors.  I agree the seasonal creep needs to be curtailed.

On another note I think I'll head down to the local liquor store after work for a few six packs to wash Kovalchuk away.

#760 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:41 PM

Weyerbacher released something about their pumpkin being on the shelves by first week of August (and july 14 in their tasting area!).  You'll find no bigger fan of pumpkin brew than me but it is ridiculous.  I don't usually want a pumpkin beer on a 99 degree day in mid August.  I want it in late September-November when I'm watching football and the leaves are changing colors.  I agree the seasonal creep needs to be curtailed.

On another note I think I'll head down to the local liquor store after work for a few six packs to wash Kovalchuk away.

This is exactly how I feel.  Unfortunately if you want good seasonals, you now have to buy them months in advance because when it's actually the right setting to drink these beers, the stores will be sold out of them and will already have next season's beers!

--John Buccigross

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users