1024 replies to this topic

#801 iceowl14

iceowl14

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

We do and I have had it only once really.  I tend to forget about it but I did find it to be like you said a nice, refreshing lager.  Just wish it wasn't owned by SABMiller lol.

Haha. Just remembered the Italian restaurant does it on tap near where I live too. Think I'll have to have a pint next time I'm there. To be fair, probably the best brand to come out of SABMiller. Pilsner Urquell is nice as well...has a bit more of a bitter taste but again...refreshing.

Never been bothered about Miller Lite/Genuine or anything. Looks a bit 'watery'.

Twitter: @IceOwl14

#802 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,694 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:44 PM

Haha. Just remembered the Italian restaurant does it on tap near where I live too. Think I'll have to have a pint next time I'm there. To be fair, probably the best brand to come out of SABMiller. Pilsner Urquell is nice as well...has a bit more of a bitter taste but again...refreshing.

Never been bothered about Miller Lite/Genuine or anything. Looks a bit 'watery'.

That's true.  I mean SABMiller owns some of those world brands in name only, but they allow these older breweries to keep doing what they are doing which I respect.

Pilsner Urquell is an amazing pilsner.  That is my father's favorite beer and hard to argue with the original pilsner.

#803 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:51 PM

That's true.  I mean SABMiller owns some of those world brands in name only, but they allow these older breweries to keep doing what they are doing which I respect.

Pilsner Urquell is an amazing pilsner.  That is my father's favorite beer and hard to argue with the original pilsner.

I still drink Goose Island sometimes, even though they're AB.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#804 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

As far as I know, Goose Island hasn't changed their recipes since the Anheuser-Busch takeover.  I don't buy their beers though because I don't want to give a dime to A-B, the biggest enemy of the craft beer industry, but the products are still the same quality to my knowledge.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#805 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:32 PM

As far as I know, Goose Island hasn't changed their recipes since the Anheuser-Busch takeover.  I don't buy their beers though because I don't want to give a dime to A-B, the biggest enemy of the craft beer industry, but the products are still the same quality to my knowledge.

I get that, and if I have a choice, I go craft, but if I'm buying from a corner store and don't want to go to a party emptyhanded, Goose serves its purpose, and because it's AB, more places carry it than real craft beer.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#806 iceowl14

iceowl14

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:50 PM

It wouldn't be worth controlling older breweries, might as well keep them mildly independent. There was an article on the BBC website (I think) last month or so which showed how pubs are being controlled more and more by mass breweries nowadays, limiting drinkers to certain brands of beer. Real shame if you ask me. Is this the same in the States? Do you find the same beers in every single bar?

#807 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,004 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:16 PM

Some bars suck with the beer selection  but it seems like some inroads have been made, at the very least many have the Sam Adams stuff. The poorer areas tend to be all bud/coors crap.

#808 iceowl14

iceowl14

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:32 PM

Some bars suck with the beer selection  but it seems like some inroads have been made, at the very least many have the Sam Adams stuff. The poorer areas tend to be all bud/coors crap.

You can bet when you walk into a pub in the UK it's either going to be a John Smiths/Carling pub or a Tetleys/Carlsberg pub. Seems to be the only choices you get sometimes unfortunately unless you walk into a real ale pub.

Edited by iceowl14, 02 August 2013 - 07:33 PM.

#809 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

It wouldn't be worth controlling older breweries, might as well keep them mildly independent. There was an article on the BBC website (I think) last month or so which showed how pubs are being controlled more and more by mass breweries nowadays, limiting drinkers to certain brands of beer. Real shame if you ask me. Is this the same in the States? Do you find the same beers in every single bar?

Some breweries they took a more controlling stance with.  When Anheuser-Busch took over Rolling Rock they changed the recipe and turned the beer to crap.  I think they knew if they did that with Goose Island there would be backlash since Goose Island is probably more popular than Rolling Rock was at the time of that buyout.  We'll see what happens a few years down the road though if they think their recipes are too expensive for their liking.

You kind of have to go to the right bars if you're looking for good beer, a lot of places are just typical crap but recently some are bringing in a couple taps of some basic craft beer like Sam Adams or a pale ale here and there.  However, A-B and MillerCoors have been known to come out with their own versions of certain styles and then pushing them on bars to replace the craft beer with their imitation, offering discounts on kegs and stuff which is illegal.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#810 iceowl14

iceowl14

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:04 AM

Some breweries they took a more controlling stance with.  When Anheuser-Busch took over Rolling Rock they changed the recipe and turned the beer to crap.  I think they knew if they did that with Goose Island there would be backlash since Goose Island is probably more popular than Rolling Rock was at the time of that buyout.  We'll see what happens a few years down the road though if they think their recipes are too expensive for their liking.

You kind of have to go to the right bars if you're looking for good beer, a lot of places are just typical crap but recently some are bringing in a couple taps of some basic craft beer like Sam Adams or a pale ale here and there.  However, A-B and MillerCoors have been known to come out with their own versions of certain styles and then pushing them on bars to replace the craft beer with their imitation, offering discounts on kegs and stuff which is illegal.

Anything for a bit more money. Hopefully the 'independent' breweries will be able to hold on in the years to come. I'm finding many of the larger beer companies (Carling, Fosters, Stella Artois) have started moving into the cider business now too. Slowly turning into 1984-George Orwell situation haha.

#811 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:05 AM

I only drink Goose Island when I'm at the Rock or if there's nothing else I like available. It's not horrible but I wouldn't buy it.

#812 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:22 AM

Anything for a bit more money. Hopefully the 'independent' breweries will be able to hold on in the years to come. I'm finding many of the larger beer companies (Carling, Fosters, Stella Artois) have started moving into the cider business now too. Slowly turning into 1984-George Orwell situation haha.

Carling and Fosters are owned by MillerCoors and Stella is owned by Anheuser-Busch InBev.  A lot of these beers don't say who is actually producing them because they don't want you to know it's all coming from the same two groups of people.

--John Buccigross

#813 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,396 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:15 PM

I had my beloved Alltech Bourbon Barrel Ale in Kentucky.  As good as I remembered... still can't get it in NJ.

I'm here for the party

#814 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:45 PM

I had my beloved Alltech Bourbon Barrel Ale in Kentucky.  As good as I remembered... still can't get it in NJ.

I loved the Brooklyn Brewery whiskey stout. It cost a ton, but I got a bottle for my brother for Christmas, and he split it with me, so worth it. Not sure if they have any left (doubt it, it was a limited release), but if they do it again, it's worth picking up. I've had a bunch of whiskey beers, since they seem to be popping up everywhere lately, and that's still my favorite (though I haven't driven to Kentucky to try Alltech).

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

#815 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,396 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:56 AM

I didn't try the BB Whisky Stout.  A good whisky beer is hard to come by for me -- either there is just too much twang without whisky flavor or there is NO whisky flavor whatsoever.  

I tend to like beer from sherry or port barrels -- except the Alltech.  It makes me a little nutty I like it so well.  I didn't try their Bourbon stout though -- duhrrr.  I can't drink enough to have chosen between the two when I had the chance. 

I love a scotch ale that captures scotch flavor - but I dont think they're aged in scotch barrels, are they?  It's just the process that makes them as they are?  I'm not in the know, so correct me if I'm wrong!!  When a Scotch Ale DOES taste Scotchy - I LOVE that!

A whisky stout is for sure more forgiving than trying a whisky ale I bet!

I'm here for the party

#816 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:54 AM

According to BeerAdvocate's definition, a beer doesn't need to be aged in scotch barrels to be a scotch ale.

Scotch Ales are strong ales, also known as "Wee Heavy." In the 19th century Scotland, they'd also be known as 160/-, a nomenclature based on the now obsolete shilling currency.

Scotch Ales traditionally go through a long boil in the kettle for a caramelization of the wort. This produces a deep copper to brown in colored brew. Compared to Scottish Ales, they'll be sweeter and fuller-bodied, and of course higher in alcohol, with a much more pronounced malty caramel and roasted malt flavor. A low tea-like bitterness can be found in many examples. Best served in a "thistle" glass.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/77

--John Buccigross

#817 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,396 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

That's what I thought.

I'm here for the party

#818 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:01 PM

A whisky stout is for sure more forgiving than trying a whisky ale I bet!

A bit, maybe, though I mostly like it because they did a good job balancing beer and whiskey flavors. I've had a couple that were just boring, and a ton more that overwhelmed with whiskey flavor. Don't get me wrong, I love whiskey flavor, but if I want just whiskey flavor, I'll drink a whiskey. It just seems like a lot of the whiskey beers out there are like some of the crappy IPAs that throw in a ton of hops to make up for lack of real flavor -- the brewers rely on the novelty to mask a lack of craft. Don't get me wrong, neither one is BAD, but I appreciate a good IPA or whiskey beer a lot more, especially in comparison.

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

#819 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,396 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:07 PM

EXACTLY!  It doesn't really taste like Whisky - it doesn't really taste like anything - aside from, as you so aptly put it, masking. That's what I meant about the stouts - they kind of seem like they're saying "yeah yeah -- it's stout it's supposed to be bitter and have big flavor" -- but the mouth feel is all wrong! 

Awe... now I really want to try the Brooklyn!  I bet I'd really like it too.

I'm here for the party

#820 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:12 PM

To Bartholemew Hunt (though interesting to others):

http://www.usatoday....-worry/2636327/

Reasons 1 and 2 are particularly relevant.

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users