Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:03 PM

Also, this:

http://www.brewersas...s-craft-brewers

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#822 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:01 PM

He can't read offtopic anymore.

Gotcha. Thanks. I'm gonna leave the post up, because it's an interesting read for anyone with an interest in the craft beer vs. big 3 debate.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#823 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,070 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:10 PM

For those interested in craft beer that is not quite up to snuff, there is Founders Friday at the Tap Room at the Somerset Hills Hotel in Warren Twp, NJ on 8/30/13.

From the site:

"Friday, August 30 is Founders Friday at The Tap Room. Ryan from Founders will be at the party along with Devil Dancer, Rubaeus,Imperial Stout, Reds Rye and the elusive and very limited in draft, Doom according to Kevin from The Tap Room."

#824 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,034 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

Tavern on the lake in Hightstown is having a Kane Tap takeover at the end of the month. They are pushing it hard.

#825 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

Funny you mention Kane, DM. I actually came in here to post about Kane. I may be heading over there tomorrow to pick up a few things for my dad for his birthday.  He's a fellow craft beer enthusiast. My question is do they sell 750ml of their beers?  If so is Overhead one thats frequently available in that format?

#826 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:17 PM

The only beers they bottle are occasional one-offs.  Currently there are none available, but they always do growler fills on Friday nights and Saturday afternoons.  I'm pretty sure Overhead and Head High are always on tap there, so if your dad enjoys Overhead you can't get him a bottle but you can get him a fresh growler.  Only thing is they don't fill 32oz growlers, they only do 64's.  If you don't have a growler, you can buy one of those there as well.

EDIT:  Since you're buying it as a gift, it may be worth mentioning that they also sell t-shirts, hats, and pint glasses.

Edited by devilsfan26, 16 August 2013 - 10:18 PM.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#827 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:46 PM

Visited Ommegang yesterday, which I highly recommend -- the area's great, and they have a really good Belgian cafe on the premises (got the frittes, which are awesome, and chocolate foundue. They mixed three philosophers into the chocolate). Did the tasting, obviously. Here are my opinions:

Double White -- limited release. White beers are never my favorite, but this one was interesting. They used bitter orange peels rather than sweet, which gave it a little more kick.

BPA -- Solid compromise beer (more hops than a Belgian, less than an American style pale ale). Nice citrus flavor. 

Rare vos -- one of my two favorites. Flavorful, due to the spices they added. Goes well with a lot of foods as well.

Hennepin -- Probably the best saison I've had. Saison's aren't my favorite in general, but I really enjoyed this one. Not particularly sour, which I liked.

Abbey ale -- World class, by far my favorite. Perfectly balances spices. If you like the simple, straightforward German beers, definitely not for you, but if you enjoy the mingling of spices and beer in Belgians, you'll love this one. I bought a couple bottles, 1 to share with my brother, 1 to save for 5 years, because they say this one ages really well -- my tour guide had tried one they aged 15 years, and loved it, though a couple people agreed 5 was really the best time.

Three philosophers -- another excellent beer. I preferred the rare vos (which was the dubbel, this was the quadruppel); this one was a little sweeter. Not in a bad way, but I liked the beer kick in the rare vos more.

I also picked up a bottle of their limited release chocolate stout to try.

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

#828 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,034 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:17 PM

Visited Ommegang yesterday, which I highly recommend -- the area's great, and they have a really good Belgian cafe on the premises (got the frittes, which are awesome, and chocolate foundue. They mixed three philosophers into the chocolate). Did the tasting, obviously. Here are my opinions:

Double White -- limited release. White beers are never my favorite, but this one was interesting. They used bitter orange peels rather than sweet, which gave it a little more kick.

BPA -- Solid compromise beer (more hops than a Belgian, less than an American style pale ale). Nice citrus flavor. 

Rare vos -- one of my two favorites. Flavorful, due to the spices they added. Goes well with a lot of foods as well.

Hennepin -- Probably the best saison I've had. Saison's aren't my favorite in general, but I really enjoyed this one. Not particularly sour, which I liked.

Abbey ale -- World class, by far my favorite. Perfectly balances spices. If you like the simple, straightforward German beers, definitely not for you, but if you enjoy the mingling of spices and beer in Belgians, you'll love this one. I bought a couple bottles, 1 to share with my brother, 1 to save for 5 years, because they say this one ages really well -- my tour guide had tried one they aged 15 years, and loved it, though a couple people agreed 5 was really the best time.

Three philosophers -- another excellent beer. I preferred the rare vos (which was the dubbel, this was the quadruppel); this one was a little sweeter. Not in a bad way, but I liked the beer kick in the rare vos more.

I also picked up a bottle of their limited release chocolate stout to try.

I love frittes done right. I will add ommegang to my brewery tour list.

#829 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:02 PM

Stone Enjoy by 9.13.13 is out and about for all interested.  Already bought 3 bottles.  Very good as always.

Also had a chance to try Neshaminy Creek Brewing "County Line IPA" and I really liked it. Recommended try for any IPA lover. Hoppier than expected. 6.6 ABV as I recall.

#830 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:51 PM

Just got back from Traverse City, Michigan (perks of being a teacher, I can spend my summers travelling and drinking beer), which is the best beer state I've experienced (haven't spent enough time in the west to rate them, though I love a bunch of those breweries. Got to the beer and music festival, which was a lot of fun. Best beer I had, though, was at Right Brain and Brewery Terra Firma. Unfortunately, neither distributes far out of northern Michigan, but they were both amazing. Right Brain had a ton of creative beers, including a bunch of IPAs that all tasted different, and didn't fall into the ton of hops/boring flavor trap, and a chocolate mint stout called the dirty girl scout. Best beer I had at Terra Firma was an ancho chile chocolate beer. If you like mole, it's totally for you. And the brewer did a good job balancing beer flavor with the chile/chocolate flavor. 

Also, this will make devsman happy, I wanted to sample beers I couldn't get at home, so, while I did drink Bell's occasionally (couldn't resist), I make it a whole week without drinking Founders, because I could get all the stuff I saw from home.

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

#831 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:24 PM

Stroh's, baby!!!  Go Michigan!!

I'm here for the party

#832 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

Stroh's, baby!!!  Go Michigan!!

Stroh's? No. Bohs!

National_Bohemian_Beer_Logo.gif

This post brought to you from The Land of Pleasant Living.

Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#833 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:54 PM

nice

I'm here for the party

#834 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,070 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:42 AM

Anyone else check out this year's Sam Adams Fall variety pack?  IDK about anyone else but it was underwhelming for me.  I thought their Summer Styles was great this year.

#835 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,034 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:56 PM

I have half the pack sitting in my fridge, I tried to push it off on friends this weekend but they came away with a MEH as well. The ruby is too dry for me, I don't like the Hazel at all it reminds me of flavored coffee.

#836 SS#4-Life

SS#4-Life

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:06 AM

Anyone else check out this year's Sam Adams Fall variety pack?  IDK about anyone else but it was underwhelming for me.  I thought their Summer Styles was great this year.

octoberfest s.a. still my fav

#837 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:40 AM

Anyone else here a big fan of pumpkin beer?

I've been building an autumn stockpile since mid-august.  Mostly imperial pumpkins.  Looking forward to breaking them out once the weather chills.

#838 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,070 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:49 AM

I do like pumpkin beers but hate the Imperial pumpkins.  I know it is fall and all but I do not need a super-heavy pumpkin tasting beer to satisfy me.

The best pumpkin is still the Pumpkin Ale that Triumph puts out for a limited time in October/November.  The closest I have tasted to that in a bottle is Brooklyn's Post Road Pumpkin Ale.

#839 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:07 PM

I do like pumpkin beers but hate the Imperial pumpkins.  I know it is fall and all but I do not need a super-heavy pumpkin tasting beer to satisfy me.

The best pumpkin is still the Pumpkin Ale that Triumph puts out for a limited time in October/November.  The closest I have tasted to that in a bottle is Brooklyn's Post Road Pumpkin Ale.

Love me some Triumph. Wish I lived farther south.

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

#840 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:12 PM

I think I'm going to be in the minority here when I say I think Triumph is a little overrated.  Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather go to Triumph than a lot of other places around because they do make an decent beer, but they usually only have 5 or so beers on tap and a limited (and somewhat overpriced) menu. As a fan of IPAs and pale ales I haven't been overly impressed with those styles from them.  I think Iron Hill spoiled me.  Can't wait until they open a central jersey location.

All that being said I'd certainly be up for trying their pumpkin ale. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users