1050 replies to this topic

#841 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,776 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:22 PM

I think I'm going to be in the minority here when I say I think Triumph is a little overrated.  Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather go to Triumph than a lot of other places around because they do make an decent beer, but they usually only have 5 or so beers on tap and a limited (and somewhat overpriced) menu. As a fan of IPAs and pale ales I haven't been overly impressed with those styles from them.  I think Iron Hill spoiled me.  Can't wait until they open a central jersey location.

All that being said I'd certainly be up for trying their pumpkin ale. 

After trying about 1/2 to 2/3 of the brewpubs in all of NJ I have to say wait until you tried some other brewpubs here in NJ.

In terms of beer, I think their IPA is the smoothest around and is not overhopped to oblivion.  Their special beers are usually pretty good as well such as their Pumpkin Ale and their Rauchbier.  However I do have to agree that their standards like Honey Blonde and Amber Ale are just meh.

In terms of cost, I used to think they were expensive and attributed them being in affluent areas such as Princeton and New Hope.  However, compared to other brewpubs like Trap Rock, Basil T's, and Harvest Moon, their pricing is kinda on the lower to middle range for brewpubs.  The quality of the food can be up and down depending on when you go there.  Between 2006-2008 in Princeton the food was spotty at best, but since about 2010 it has steadily gotten better.

Not only that but Triumph is opening a new location in Red Bank that is due to be open I believe in 2014, so that will turn them basically into NJ's first Brewpub chain.

However when it is all said and done, Triumph is still my 2nd favorite brewpub in NJ after Long Valley.

Edited by DevsMan84, 11 September 2013 - 02:28 PM.

#842 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:30 PM

After trying about 1/2 to 2/3 of Triumph I have to say wait until you tried some other brewpubs here in NJ.

In terms of beer, I think their IPA is the smoothest around and is not overhopped to oblivion.  Their special beers are usually pretty good as well such as their Pumpkin Ale and their Rauchbier.  However I do have to agree that their standards like Honey Blonde and Amber Ale are just meh.

In terms of cost, I used to think they were expensive and attributed them being in affluent areas such as Princeton and New Hope.  However, compared to other brewpubs like Trap Rock, Basil T's, and Harvest Moon, their pricing is kinda on the lower to middle range for brewpubs.  The quality of the food can be up and down depending on when you go there.  Between 2006-2008 in Princeton the food was spotty at best, but since about 2010 it has steadily gotten better.

Not only that but Triumph is opening a new location in Red Bank that is due to be open I believe in 2014, so that will turn them basically into NJ's first Brewpub chain.

However when it is all said and done, Triumph is still my 2nd favorite brewpub in NJ after Long Valley.

I live near the Princeton one so that's my only point of reference for Triumph.  You are right about them being spotty food wise.  Service wise as well.  Sometimes you get your beers and food fast and the server is attentive and others they are very slow.  Depending on who you get of course.  I am eager to try some of their seasonal selections. Edit:  I was actually there on Friday and the Falconer IPA was to my linking! Forgot about that beer!

Previously I lived in southern NJ and Iron Hill Brewery in Maple Shade was my favorite place to go.  They have a location in Voorhees as well now and are looking to expand into central NJ in 2014.  After trying the two I think Iron Hill blows away Triumph but it may be difficult to compare as Iron Hill is in a bigger space and seems to have much more brewing capacity.  I'd def recommend a trek if you're ever down in that area.  Sometimes I take the 50 minute or so drive to meet friends or family there.  Their seasonal beers are excellent but their standard beers are also meh most of the time.  They usually have about 6-8 year round standard beers on tap and another 6-8 seasonal rotating beers.

Seems like NJ is relaxing it's alcohol laws and allowing places like Triumph and Iron Hill to expand into other parts of the state which is a great relief.  We need it! :thumbsup:  :cheers:

Edited by gardenstatepkwy, 11 September 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#843 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:40 PM

I already started in on Pumking...  It's really too spiced but, but then I have it and I love it.  then I over do it and get sick of it.

I want to go to Long Valley this weekend.. I keep on trying to get there.

I'm here for the party

#844 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:33 PM

Triumph's strength has always been their more creative beers IMO. I'm not overly impressed with their staples. I also like the food and service at the New Hope location a lot, though that's def a trek.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#845 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,776 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:59 AM

Triumph's strength has always been their more creative beers IMO. I'm not overly impressed with their staples. I also like the food and service at the New Hope location a lot, though that's def a trek.

This is accurate.  Their staples are alright, but nothing great.  I actually avoid the Honey Blonde as I find it to be fairly flavorless.

However their creative beers are great and I think their Bengal Gold IPA is amongst the best IPA's of any brewpub in NJ.  Can't wait for their pumpkin beer in about a month and in the winter their Rauchbier (smoke beer).

Also some good ones from them are Bohemian Pilsner, Vienna Lager, Framboise, Witbier, Saison and Oktoberfest.

In terms of food their Triumph Burger is always tasty and I think their soups are underrated.  However for the appetizers outside of the pretzels, pizza and wings, they are pretty underwhelming and the portions are quite small.

Edited by DevsMan84, 12 September 2013 - 11:00 AM.

#846 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:36 PM

How funny are you?  That's a classic Woody Allen line:  The food is terrible!  and such small portions.

I'm here for the party

#847 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:18 PM

Picked up a bottle of Autumn Maple from The Bruery.  Gets very good marks on BeerAdvocate and is described as "Thanksgiving in a bottle".  Because of this I will be saving this for November :)

#848 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:07 AM

I splurged on a bottle of Autumn Maple a couple years ago and saved it for Thanksgiving, but was unfortunately disappointed in it.  The label made it sound a lot better than I thought it was, but maybe my expectations were just too high.  Hopefully you enjoy it more than I did!

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#849 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:16 PM

I've yet to get a marzen/oktoberfest I was crazy about, but want to like them more, and feel like it might be the ones I've bought. Anybody got suggestions?

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#850 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,776 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:34 PM

I've yet to get a marzen/oktoberfest I was crazy about, but want to like them more, and feel like it might be the ones I've bought. Anybody got suggestions?

I got Great Lakes Oktoberfest the other day. I think it is solid, but don't think it is nearly as good as beer advocate has them rated.

Sam Adams is also solid with their octoberfest but nothing spectacular.

My favorites in this style are Paulaner and Hacker Pschorr

#851 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:16 AM

I got Great Lakes Oktoberfest the other day. I think it is solid, but don't think it is nearly as good as beer advocate has them rated.

Sam Adams is also solid with their octoberfest but nothing spectacular.

My favorites in this style are Paulaner and Hacker Pschorr

Had the Sam and could take it or leave it. I'll try to track down the Paulaner or the Hacker Pschorr. Thanks.

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

#852 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

Was in Delaware last week and stocked up on New Belguim 22oz bottles. Ranger, Rampant, Fat Tire and Trippel.  Solid beers.  Sorely missed since I moved back east from Colorado.  :beerbang:

Edited by gardenstatepkwy, 29 September 2013 - 04:13 PM.

#853 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:07 PM

So the rock raise the beer prices by 75 cents. a domestic is now 8.75, and a molson is 9.75 now. I could understand maybe a quarter or 50 cents but jesus.

On a seperate note i love pumpkin beer season and i've had about a dozen or so already;

Jack-O-Traveler, from the traveler beer company, which is owned by boston beer, made this pumpkin shandy. Sounds gross right? The stuff is actually outta this world good. I've never heard of a pumpkin shandy before, idk if they're the first, but the stuff is awesome.

Pumple Drumkin, from Cisco Brewing in Nantucket comes in an adorable little orange can, as for the beer itself its mediocre. Not much pumpkin taste, but better than some of the others i've tried.

Long Trail's new Brush & Barrel series came out with their first beer just called Imperial Pumpkin. I've had it twice and of all the ones i have tried, this is the one i like the most. A real nice balance of all the flavors, not too watery but not too thick either.

River Horse's Hipp-O-Lantern was absolutely awesome. It's only a 4Pk, but its 8.1 and you cannot even tell its that strong. Not too overpowering with the pumpkin either. This and the Brush & Barrel Long Trail are pretty close.

I was really excited to try the Dogfish Head Punkin, so i bought the 2nd to last 4Pk we had, and a co-worker bought the last one. Well i cracked one open before i left work and it was atrocious, i let my co-worker try it too and we just returned the 2nd 4Pk and split 2 beers apiece. Its got the worst after taste of any pumpkin i've ever had. Imagine putting a handful of pennies in your mouth. It tastes like straight metal. Terrible beer.

I had Sam Adams Fat Jack, it's the same as last years. Solid pumpkin beer, better than average, but nothing to write home about. I've yet to have harvest pumpkin just because you can only drink so many beers but im sure its the same as last year.

I bought a 4Pk of the Elysian Pumpkin Patch 22Ozs, from Seattle. It comes with; Hansel & Gretel a Czech ginger pumpkin pilsner, Dark O' The Moon a pumpkin stout, Night Owl a pumpkin ale, and The Great Pumpkin an imperial pumpkin. I've only had the night owl so far and that was very very good. Take beer advocate scores for what they're worth but that's 3 out of 4 pumpkin beers ranked in the top 30 in one box(#6 TGP, #26 DOTM, and #30 NO).

I also had Trick Or Treat from Evil Genius out of Cooperstown. Its a chocolate pumpkin, except i dont quite see where the pumpkin is. Its very good don't get me wrong, but it's basically just a chocolate porter with the slightest hint of pumpkin.

I know its not pumpkin but i also had Abita Pecan. It's pretty damn good, it's not too overly flavored with pecan but the taste is there every sip. Pretty good.

Also has Terrapin's Recreational Ale. I like hoppy beers when they're done right and this is actually awesome. It doesn't taste like a normal boring hoppy beer you've had time and time again. Idk how to describe it right but it just tastes really really fresh.

I tried Wells Banana Bread, its okay, no real overpowering flavors, just meh.

#854 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

I like Abita Pecan. Nice flavor -- very subtle.

It is still Oktoberfest season, so I've been trying a few of those types of beers the past few days. Traditionally, I usually stick to Spaten Oktoberfest, but I had not realized that it gets only so-so ratings from reviewers. So this year, I decided I'm going to drink anything but that.

So far, I've tried Hooker Oktoberfest, Great Lakes Oktoberfest, and Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest, liking them all so far. I also bought Ayinger Oktoberfest because I heard great things about it, but I haven't yet opened a bottle -- perhaps tomorrow.

A few other Oktoberfest beers that get very good ratings that I'd like to try but haven't yet found in stores are Ramstein's Oktoberfest, Avery's The Kaiser, Staghorn Oktoberfest from New Glarus Brewing Company and Barktoberfest by Thirsty Dog Brewing Company.

Edited by 95Crash, 05 October 2013 - 05:53 PM.

#855 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:30 AM

I like Abita Pecan. Nice flavor -- very subtle.

It is still Oktoberfest season, so I've been trying a few of those types of beers the past few days. Traditionally, I usually stick to Spaten Oktoberfest, but I had not realized that it gets only so-so ratings from reviewers. So this year, I decided I'm going to drink anything but that.

So far, I've tried Hooker Oktoberfest, Great Lakes Oktoberfest, and Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest, liking them all so far. I also bought Ayinger Oktoberfest because I heard great things about it, but I haven't yet opened a bottle -- perhaps tomorrow.

A few other Oktoberfest beers that get very good ratings that I'd like to try but haven't yet found in stores are Ramstein's Oktoberfest, Avery's The Kaiser, Staghorn Oktoberfest from New Glarus Brewing Company and Barktoberfest by Thirsty Dog Brewing Company.

I had Ramstein Oktoberfest a week ago at Maloney's in Matawan.  I don't usually like Oktoberfests, but it was pretty good.  Nothing out of this world, but won't disappoint.  I'm not sure if I've ever seen their beer in stores though so you might have a hard time finding it depending on how far north you live.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#856 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:42 AM

Lovin the pumpkin reviews Bart.

These are the ones in my stockpile right now:

Southern Tier Pumking

Southern Tier Warlock

Schafly Pumpkin

Sam Adams Fat Jack

Hoppin Frog french Hollow Double Pumpkin

Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin

Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin

Fegley's Devious Pumpkin

Iron Hill Great Pumpkin

Dogfish Head Punkin

Ithaca Country Pumpkin

Riverhorse Hippo Lantern

Eylsian Night Owl

Flying Dog The Fear

Fishermans Pumpkin Stout

Looking for: Unita Oak Jacked Pumpkin and Rogue Chateau Pumpkin Patch

Also tasted Great South Bay Pumpkin last month and wasn't a fan.

#857 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:23 PM

I had Ramstein Oktoberfest a week ago at Maloney's in Matawan.  I don't usually like Oktoberfests, but it was pretty good.  Nothing out of this world, but won't disappoint.  I'm not sure if I've ever seen their beer in stores though so you might have a hard time finding it depending on how far north you live.

Do you know if they're ever open on weeknights? I really want to pick up their doppelbock in a month or so, but I have class on Saturdays in NYC, so I can't come in to the tasting room on a Saturday afternoon.

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

#858 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:14 PM

A few places by me carry Ramstein but not the Oktoberfest for whatever reason.

I finally tried Ayinger's Oktoberfest -- very smooth, easy to drink.

#859 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:15 AM

Do you know if they're ever open on weeknights? I really want to pick up their doppelbock in a month or so, but I have class on Saturdays in NYC, so I can't come in to the tasting room on a Saturday afternoon.

Nah sorry I'm not sure, never been there.

--John Buccigross

#860 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:07 PM

Nah sorry I'm not sure, never been there.

No problem, I can call them.

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users