Iron Hill Great Pumpkin
Dogfish Head Punkin
Ithaca Country Pumpkin
Riverhorse Hippo Lantern
Eylsian Night Owl
Flying Dog The Fear
Fishermans Pumpkin Stout

Looking for: Unita Oak Jacked Pumpkin and Rogue Chateau Pumpkin Patch

Also tasted Great South Bay Pumpkin last month and wasn't a fan.

Thanks man, yeah I had flying dogs the fear yesterday, for the 12.49 it was pretty bad, didnt taste the pumpkin really, and it tasted like more of a stout than an ale. Have you had their oyster stout? I thought about ordering it but if it sucks then I wont.

Also I had the elysian hansel and gretel. Awful. Haha just imagine a normal glass of heineken with a ton of ginger. I couldnt drink the whole thing.

Also had the elysian dark o' the moon. Again I didnt taste much pumpkin, more coffee and chocolate than anything. Wasn't bad, wasnt great.

Im not a blue moon fan but they came out with 2 bombers, one was tongue thai'd which was with basil and lemon grass. The other was pine in the neck made with juniper berries. The basil one I literally couldnt drink more than 3 sips. I love basil but the amount they put in there made it terrible. The juniper berry one was alright, nice subtle flavor, not overpowering, but I wouldnt go crazy trying to get another bottle.

I had ommegang scythe and sickle harvest. Meh. A real creamy beer compared to others. Pours about a 2 inch head even when you pour it slow. I could get down all four and it was something different, but I doubt I would buy it again. Not my cup of tea.

Guiness came out with a red harvest stout and magic hat came out with a new fall called seance. Im putting them together because they taste the same. Like a handful of dirt and old coffee grinds. Truly disgusting.

I tried the woodchuck pumpkin cider too. It grows on you as you drink it. It kinda tastes like they put the stem of the pumpkin in there too if that makes sense. I hated it at first but I grew to like it.

Has anyone had anything from Jolly Pumpkin in michigan or Neshaminy Creek in PA? I was thinking of ordering from them, jolly pumpkin has awesome artwork and seem like they sell quality products, and neshaminy's punkel dunkel looks awesome.

Im also waiting for mamma mia pizza beer to get back in stock. Has anyone had that one? Its probably disgusting but my salesman said you either love it or hate it.

Also one of my distributors is getting anchorage brewing from alaska. I doubt anyone has tried them but if you have how was the beer?

#862 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:51 PM

Has anyone had anything from Jolly Pumpkin in michigan or Neshaminy Creek in PA? I was thinking of ordering from them, jolly pumpkin has awesome artwork and seem like they sell quality products, and neshaminy's punkel dunkel looks awesome.

I've actually visited their brewpub in Ann Arbor on a baseball games and breweries road trip I did a few years ago.  Just to clarify since most of your post was about pumpkin beers, they only make one pumpkin beer.  They seem to specialize in saisons and sours and I'm not a huge fan of either style so I found them to be just alright.

Oh and I've had that pizza beer.  It's interesting to try but it's not some groundbreaking overly flavorful beer.  I enjoyed it paired with, of course, pizza haha.

Edited by devilsfan26, 07 October 2013 - 08:55 PM.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#863 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:48 PM

Visited Jolly Pumpkin over the summer. They were fine, but nothing to write home about. If you do end up ordering from them, stick to the European styles, like the farmhouse or the Belgians. Their more American styles (pale ales especially) were boring.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#864 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:20 AM

My dad and I tried Jolly Pumpkin La Parcela No 1 last year and we ended up pouring half the bottle down the drain.  It was undrinkable.  I NEVER pour beer, especially a pumpkin beer so I was pretty shocked at how awful it was.  We may have gotten a bad bottle but I can't describe how bad it was.

#865 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:39 PM

If you don't like sour beers and you're not expecting this one to be sour (because does anyone else even make a sour pumpkin beer?) then you most likely won't enjoy it.  I probably wouldn't have liked it either, but it's averaging an 88 on beeradvocate so if you like both pumpkin beers and sours then I guess it works, but not every flavor is for everyone.  Some would find it undrinkable while others apparently really enjoy it.  Either way, I wouldn't compare it to other pumpkin beers without at least footnoting that it's a sour.

Edited by devilsfan26, 08 October 2013 - 09:05 PM.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#866 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:54 PM

I didn't even realize it was a sour. The only real "sour" beer I've had has been New Belgium La Folie which I actually enjoyed very much.  Maybe it was the melding of the flavors but I just remember it being intolerable to me at the time. I really am not ruling out the possibility of a bad/old bottle. I'll have to try it again.

#867 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

If you don't like sour beers and you're not expecting this one to be sour (because does anyone else even make a sour pumpkin beer?) then you most likely won't enjoy it. I probably wouldn't have liked it either, but it's averaging an 88 on beeradvocate so if you like both pumpkin beers and sours then I guess it works, but not every flavor is for anyone. Some would find it undrinkable while others apparently really enjoy it. Either way, I wouldn't compare it to other pumpkin beers without at least footnoting that it's a sour.

Thanks yeah from all the accounts I wont be ordering it. I take the beer advocate ratings lightly, ive had some that were rated in the 90s that were atrocious and some in the 70s that were great. I tend to like the ratebeer ratings better.

#868 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:12 PM

Thanks yeah from all the accounts I wont be ordering it. I take the beer advocate ratings lightly, ive had some that were rated in the 90s that were atrocious and some in the 70s that were great. I tend to like the ratebeer ratings better.

Yeah I mean everyone's tastes are different so you can't take ratings too seriously but they are an average of other beer enthusiasts' opinions so if it's a beer I don't know much about I'll use the BA ratings to help me decide if it's worth buying.  Of course my tastes or any other one person's tastes aren't the same as what beer advocate's averages say, but I think it's generally a good tool to use as long as you put their ratings in the context of how you feel about the style of that beer.

--John Buccigross

#869 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

Awesome growler lineup alert!

Joe Canals Lawrenceville has some pretty tasty/rare stuff at the growler station right now:

Dogfish Head 120 (girlfriend bought the last growlers worth - apparently a 2 year old keg)

Dogfish Head World Wide Stout

Oskar Blues Ten Fiddy

Riverhorse Firkin Pumpkin Vanilla Bourbon

Stone R&R Coconut IPA

Edited by gardenstatepkwy, 10 October 2013 - 03:11 PM.

#870 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:03 PM

I know this isn't scientific, and I'm as frustrated as anyone to see Bud Light up there that much, and I know that Blue Moon is Coors, but this map is actually cause for optimism that Americans are drinking at least somewhat better beer.

http://www.slate.com...s_by_state.html

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#871 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:59 AM

Interesting read here about how much the new brewing laws in NJ has affected the brewing business.  Since that law was passed about a year ago, 15 new breweries have opened or about to open:

http://www.philly.co...rden_state.html

#872 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,389 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:50 PM

I had dogfish head Festina Peche.  Very similar to champagne or kombucha or even a cider.  Once I stopped thinking of it as beer I liked it a lot. 

I'm here for the party

#873 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:51 PM

Interesting read here about how much the new brewing laws in NJ has affected the brewing business.  Since that law was passed about a year ago, 15 new breweries have opened or about to open:

http://www.philly.co...rden_state.html

What became of Port44's building?  The new laws for breweries could not have saved that business, but I wonder if they could encourage someone else to try the same idea (done better).

Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#874 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:38 PM

What became of Port44's building?  The new laws for breweries could not have saved that business, but I wonder if they could encourage someone else to try the same idea (done better).

Not sure and haven't walked by that place in a couple of years.  It had good beer but had a so-so layout, atmosphere and service and awful food.  The two owners had no prior restaurant/food service experience and it completely showed.

Too bad too.  I think a good brewpub done right would do very well by the arena.

#875 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:57 PM

Not sure and haven't walked by that place in a couple of years.  It had good beer but had a so-so layout, atmosphere and service and awful food.  The two owners had no prior restaurant/food service experience and it completely showed.

Too bad too.  I think a good brewpub done right would do very well by the arena.

Beer went downhill by the end as well. The food was actually good right at the beginning, but fell apart real fast. Agreed, it would have been nice to have a good spot for a couple brews there.

I had dogfish head Festina Peche.  Very similar to champagne or kombucha or even a cider.  Once I stopped thinking of it as beer I liked it a lot. 

Same with their sahtea.

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

#876 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

Weyerbacher Aries is making it's rounds through the area.  Seems like something I would like.

Aries is the 3rd installment in the latest round of Brewers’ Select Series beers!  Aries breaks the mold of preceding Brewers’ Select beers in that it is NOT a new beer—rather, it is a blend of two existing beers which have been being mixed by Weyerbacher employees for a few years now.  In perfect timing for October / Halloween, Aries is a delicious blend of Old Heathen Imperial Stout and Imperial Pumpkin Ale!

http://weyerbacher.c.../2013/10/aries/

#877 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

Weyerbacher Aries is making it's rounds through the area.  Seems like something I would like.

Aries is the 3rd installment in the latest round of Brewers’ Select Series beers!  Aries breaks the mold of preceding Brewers’ Select beers in that it is NOT a new beer—rather, it is a blend of two existing beers which have been being mixed by Weyerbacher employees for a few years now.  In perfect timing for October / Halloween, Aries is a delicious blend of Old Heathen Imperial Stout and Imperial Pumpkin Ale!

http://weyerbacher.c.../2013/10/aries/

Ugh again more heavy as sh!t beer to make you feel like you ate 10 whoppers when all you did was have a drink.  Does anyone actually think this does or would taste good?

#878 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

Ugh again more heavy as sh!t beer to make you feel like you ate 10 whoppers when all you did was have a drink.  Does anyone actually think this does or would taste good?

Tis the season :)

I'd give it a try.  Although I think you're right about the heft part.  If I did like it I'd only drink about 8oz of it before moving to something lighter. They even push it as more of a dessert offering:

"The result is a really balanced yet spicy dark beer which will work very well as a dessert beer and still pair nicely with your favorite fall foods."

#879 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:53 PM

Tis the season :)

I'd give it a try.  Although I think you're right about the heft part.  If I did like it I'd only drink about 8oz of it before moving to something lighter. They even push it as more of a dessert offering:

"The result is a really balanced yet spicy dark beer which will work very well as a dessert beer and still pair nicely with your favorite fall foods."

lol "winter" food is bad enough and brewers are now (and have) been forcing these super heavy beers upon us more and more.  I do like some of the winter beer offerings but lately it is getting out of hand.  This is not the 1700's where everything we eat and drink must be heavy to help survive the harsh winter.

#880 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:57 PM

lol "winter" food is bad enough and brewers are now (and have) been forcing these super heavy beers upon us more and more.  I do like some of the winter beer offerings but lately it is getting out of hand.  This is not the 1700's where everything we eat and drink must be heavy to help survive the harsh winter.

I like winter food, so I like winter beer, but I tend to nurse the heavy ones rather than drinking more than one beer that night.

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users