1050 replies to this topic

#901 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:20 AM

After re-reading my previous post, it probably came off as bashing Dogfish Head more than I meant to.  I too like that they are constantly trying to innovate and make beers that have interesting stories behind them.  I think they're overrated because a lot of their beers are sweeter than I would prefer, and their famous IPAs aren't all that great with the exception of 120 Minute on tap.  The couple times I've had it from a bottle, it was a struggle to get through, but both times I was lucky enough to have it on tap, it was incredible.  I do appreciate what they're doing though and they are definitely one of the craft brewing industry's pioneers.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#902 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:30 AM

I really enjoyed the Dogfish American Beauty. I also like the 75 Minute on cask, Burton Baton, and Sixty-one off the top of my head.  But they also have many beers that just aren't for me.  My girlfriend enjoys their Sah'Tea.

Agree their 750s are pretty expensive.

#903 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:58 PM

After re-reading my previous post, it probably came off as bashing Dogfish Head more than I meant to.  I too like that they are constantly trying to innovate and make beers that have interesting stories behind them.  I think they're overrated because a lot of their beers are sweeter than I would prefer, and their famous IPAs aren't all that great with the exception of 120 Minute on tap.  The couple times I've had it from a bottle, it was a struggle to get through, but both times I was lucky enough to have it on tap, it was incredible.  I do appreciate what they're doing though and they are definitely one of the craft brewing industry's pioneers.

Agreed. I get Dogfish when I'm bored and willing to experiment, and go in with an open mind and no expectations. They're never gonna be one of my staples, because I can't afford to drink the stuff I like most with any regularity, and because, as far as a good IPA, winter stout, or summer lager go, they're not the best. Part of why I love craft beer is I can always get what I want, and my moods change regularly.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#904 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:02 PM

Schlafly T-IPA  :thumbsup:

Also Cape May Brewery 6 packs soon!

http://newjerseycraf...aign=coschedule

Very good news.  Awesome for them.

Edited by gardenstatepkwy, 02 November 2013 - 07:06 PM.

#905 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:20 PM

I had dogfish 60 minute awhile ago and I liked it, but honestly terrapins recreation is the best hoppy beer ive ever had, has anyone had it? If not I strongly recommend it.

Im drinking dogfish's kvasir right now. Its been said before, its a good story behind it, and its worth a try for sure but its not worth $13. It tastes more like a lambic than an ale. This is a swing and a miss for dogfish imo

#906 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:38 PM

Im getting the following in tomorrow please let me know if anybody has tried any of them;

Fegley's Rude Elf
River Horse Belgian Freeze
Rogue Yellow Snow
Sly Fox Xmas
Blue Mountain Barrel Room Long Winter Naps
Breckenridge Christmas
Great Divide Fresh Hop
New Holland Cabin Fever
Rogue Santa's Private Reserve
B. Nektar Dwarf Invasion (Mead)

And next week
Terrapin Moo Hoo
Terrapin So Fresh, So Green Green
Lagunitas Brown Shugga

#907 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:10 PM

Brown Shugga rules.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#908 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

I don't know if they do the same recipe every year, but I loved Sly Fox Christmas last time I had it.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#909 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:22 PM

Revisiting Dogfish (because I tried Palo Santo this weekend, and it reminded me why I love and hate Dogfish at the same time), they're great about being creative, but they really need to think things through more (there's a great article about them, the founder likes to try new stuff, his head brewer tries to temper him, sometimes he gets his way, sometimes he doesn't), or perfect them. It seems like, while Dogfish has some inspired beers (I loved Sahtea, even though it's really weird), they also have some beers that aren't as good as they should be. To me, Palo Santo fell into that category, especially because I'd tried Oskar Blues' Ten Fidy a week or 2 earlier, and that beer was damn near perfect, and a similar style. If Dogfish paid more attention to nailing their beers, rather than constantly pushing the envelope, but manages to keep the inspiration and creativity, that would be awesome.

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

#910 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:02 PM

That Palo Santo beer is aged in some gnarly ass wood tanks. That wood is no joke. It's bullet proof.

#911 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:23 PM

Revisiting Dogfish (because I tried Palo Santo this weekend, and it reminded me why I love and hate Dogfish at the same time), they're great about being creative, but they really need to think things through more (there's a great article about them, the founder likes to try new stuff, his head brewer tries to temper him, sometimes he gets his way, sometimes he doesn't), or perfect them. It seems like, while Dogfish has some inspired beers (I loved Sahtea, even though it's really weird), they also have some beers that aren't as good as they should be. To me, Palo Santo fell into that category, especially because I'd tried Oskar Blues' Ten Fidy a week or 2 earlier, and that beer was damn near perfect, and a similar style. If Dogfish paid more attention to nailing their beers, rather than constantly pushing the envelope, but manages to keep the inspiration and creativity, that would be awesome.

If you have netflix streaming theres a show called Brew Masters on there about dogfish. I've never seen it before on tv. Anyway the first episode is about their Bitches Brew which I ironically just drank a bottle of about an hour ago. The beer was very good, oaky, chocolatey, roasted, and you can taste the bitterness from the gesho. I love stouts though. I really dont taste any honey though. Definitely a lot better than the Kvasir.

The owner of dogfish talks like keanu reeves though. And the head brewer reminds me of matt stone in baseketball. Also when they rap or show their stupid music video I get the worst case of the douche chills ive ever had in my life

Edited by Bartholomew Hunt, 05 November 2013 - 10:30 PM.

#912 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:41 PM

Has anyone watched Brew Dogs on the Esquire Network? Love that show.

#913 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:47 AM

I actually really like Palo Santo Marron.  I wouldn't compare it to Ten Fidy.  Palo Santo is a brown ale (although much heavier than typical brown ales of course) and Ten Fidy is an imperial stout. 

If you have netflix streaming theres a show called Brew Masters on there about dogfish. I've never seen it before on tv. Anyway the first episode is about their Bitches Brew which I ironically just drank a bottle of about an hour ago. The beer was very good, oaky, chocolatey, roasted, and you can taste the bitterness from the gesho. I love stouts though. I really dont taste any honey though. Definitely a lot better than the Kvasir.

The owner of dogfish talks like keanu reeves though. And the head brewer reminds me of matt stone in baseketball. Also when they rap or show their stupid music video I get the worst case of the douche chills ive ever had in my life

Brew Masters was a great show, but unfortunately whatever channel it was on moved it to a different day and time every single week so it was only possible to watch the show if you somehow knew when it was coming on or if you recorded it.  Also, the last episode never aired because MillerCoors threatened to pull their Blue Moon ads if the network didn't cancel the show.  Whatever it takes to avoid having to make their crappy beer actually taste better.

I was also expecting to taste more honey in Bitches Brew, but I guess maybe the honey aspect is just what smooths out the mouthfeel.  Their rap stuff is hilarious, I think you're just taking it too seriously.  They just do those things to mess around.

--John Buccigross

#914 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:05 PM

I actually really like Palo Santo Marron.  I wouldn't compare it to Ten Fidy.  Palo Santo is a brown ale (although much heavier than typical brown ales of course) and Ten Fidy is an imperial stout. 

Point, and I admit it may just be that I like stouts better than brown ales, but they're both somewhat sweet, high alcohol beers, and I noticed more complexity, and better flavors in the Oskar Blues. Either way, I wanted more out of Palo Santo. I can't really articulate what, but it felt, I dunno, close but not there yet? I admit this may be a personal thing, but I've felt that way about Dogfish before, and I say this as a Dogfish fan.

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

#915 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:20 AM

For those in the New Brunswick area, World of Beer just opened up on the corner of George Street and Bayard Street.  According to their facebook page, they have 50 taps and 500 bottles.  You can check out their menu here.

--John Buccigross

#916 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:08 AM

For those in the New Brunswick area, World of Beer just opened up on the corner of George Street and Bayard Street.  According to their facebook page, they have 50 taps and 500 bottles.  You can check out their menu here.

Nice. Thanks for the tip.  Looks well worth checking out.

#917 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,776 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:38 AM

I heard about that place opening up about a couple months ago.  Looks good and I will have to check it out sometime.

I think its in the same spot where a couple of sports bars used to be and I think one of them closed because of a shooting they had there about 2-3 years ago.

#918 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:21 PM

Went to World of Beer today with the girlfriend and old man both of which are huge craft beer fans.

The Good: Tap and bottle list.

The Bad. Awful awful service. Took us over 20 minutes to get a waitress and another 20 to get a beer. The waitress handed us a tap list dates Nov 2 and said that the date wasn't important because they had a lot of the beers listed there. We went through 4 beers before we asked "well ok, what do you actually have on tap?" Two of us decided on a Kane Overhead and when she came back she told us it wasn't Overhead but Head high. She never checked on us the whole time we had out beer and we intended to order food and more drinks but the service was so terrible we decided that one beer each was enough and we'd go somewhere else.

So to summerize more of the bad- severely outdated tap list.

- lack of dark tinting or curtains on upper of windowsade the tables that lines George Street difficult to use at 4pm due to glare.

I'd give this place another shot in a few months to give te a chance to work out te kinks but today's experience was not good at all. We ended up walking toGeroge Street ale house and had a much better time. Instant seating and service, good food, plenty of TVs and a decent craft selection.

#919 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:24 AM

That's disappointing to hear, I was there the day they opened but during the afternoon so it wasn't that crowded.  Started filling up as we were leaving though.  Although the first or second beer I tried to order they said they were out of too.  With so many options it seemed weird to me that they would have run out of a beer an hour into their grand opening.  They did have a couple soft opening days last weekend for friends and family of the staff and then for facebook friends, but it still didn't seem very likely that one of their beers would have run out that quickly.  I still need to check out George Street Ale House.

--John Buccigross

#920 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:56 PM

Anyone hear about this place? New brewpub opening on Manchester/Toms River border https://www.facebook.com/RinnDuinBeer

Description

Fathers and daughters experience many of life’s firsts together and opening a microbrewery has been an incomparable first for Chip & Jacqui Town. Inspired by their family’s indubious heritage, originating from County Roscommon Ireland, Rinn Duin Brewing is crafting characteristically traditional, yet distinctive ales of the UK and Ireland.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users