1024 replies to this topic

#941 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:36 PM

Finally made it out to Butler to the High Point taproom. Good experience -- the brewers were in and out, talking, and the beer was solid. They have different stuff on tap, based on what's fresh. Here's what I had:

Imperial pilsner -- I'm not a pilsner person, but I prefer German style pilsners to Czech, and they do a decent one. I drank it fast, and moved on, but if that's more your thing, you'll probably like it.

Pale ale -- nothing to write home about. Not enough hop character for a pale ale, but also not really malty, or clean. All in all, a mediocre beer.

Dunkel -- really good. A smoky beer, with a chocolaty flavor. Almost felt like a mix between a regular dunkel and a porter. Certainly more of a winter dunkel. I'm definitely a fan.

Double Platinum Blonde Ale -- what a weissbeer should be. They get their yeast from Germany, so it's the only beer in the states with this flavor. It has a strong banana flavor. They claim clove as well, though I didn't taste it as much. In any case, it's not only refreshing, it's interesting, which is rare in a wheat beer. If you like wheat beer more than I do, you'll love it, because it is still a wheat beer. If you don't, you may very well love it too. I certainly did. Bought a growler home with me. 

They post what they plan on serving on facebook and twitter, but they change on the fly as things run out. If you're from that part of Jersey, I'd definitely recommend checking them out.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#942 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:39 PM

Just got in terrapin white moo hoo today, cant wait to try it in a little bit. I couldnt get terrapins cinnamon rolld wake n bake though.

I had Ommegang Wild At Heart, I was pretty upset. I like ommegang but this one wasn't for me. A creamy yeasty taste that just wasnt up my alley. I wouldnt be as upset if it wasn't $15 a bottle. Needless to say I now put it on sale, basically for cost, $11.99 and still no one is picking it up. Which is suprising because I have a lot of ommegang drinkers come in.

Also for any Sam drinkers, if you haven't seen already they changed the spring again, its now a brand new beer called Cold Snap. It might be the same as their old White Ale or at least close. Also for the first time they're coming out with a secondary spring seasonal called Escape Route. Theyre also coming out with a new ipa called Rebel IPA, its going to come out on draft first then eventually bottles, I tried a sample it was actually pretty good.

#943 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:54 PM

If anyone's interested, High Point's releasing their eis bock this weekend. They do this maybe once a year, and it's supposed to be great. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm excited. They open at 1 on Saturday. They'll fill growlers, but no more than 2 liters.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#944 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:52 PM

The white chocolate moohoo I had from terrapin a couple days ago was great. If you're lucky enough to find a bottle I suggest buying one or two. I bought 4 for myself.

I also had Sams cold snap, I really liked it. Its very very drinkable, subtle coriander, really light body. They did a good job replacing the alpine spring with this. The Escape Route still hasnt been released yet.

I also just drank some Great Divide Espresso Oak-Aged Yeti. I was super excited for it. I've said before I love their fresh hop, and I also had their scotch ale. The scotch ale was mediocre, nothing id buy again. The espresso oak yeti was such a disappointment. An immediate salty taste up front, then a heavy heavy taste of oak and coffee. I shared it with 3 coworkers, none could get down more than a couple ounces. Yet another beer that boggles my mind how it recieves a 95 on beer advocate. As far as oaky, charred, coffee beers, terrapins wake n bake, and anderson valleys oatmeal stout blows this stuff out of the the water.

Curious if anyone has had anything from uinta, nj beer co or twisted pines. I had twisted pines Ghost Face Killah, I know its just a novelty but it wasnt terrible. Its tough to drink a whole bottle though because its just instant heartburn. I also brought in rogues double chocolate today, im looking foward to see how it stacks up against other chocolate stouts.

#945 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:20 PM

Great Divide's scotch ale, Claymore, is one of my favorites of the style.  I look forward to it every year.  I've had a couple beers from Uinta, I'd say they were middle of the road.  I think I had their Cockeyed Cooper, a barleywine, and Labyrinth, a stout.  NJ Beer Co. hasn't impressed me at all.

Edited by devilsfan26, 15 January 2014 - 08:20 PM.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#946 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:17 PM

Great Divide's scotch ale, Claymore, is one of my favorites of the style. I look forward to it every year. I've had a couple beers from Uinta, I'd say they were middle of the road. I think I had their Cockeyed Cooper, a barleywine, and Labyrinth, a stout. NJ Beer Co. hasn't impressed me at all.

Personally I thought the claymore got better as it got warmer, im just not crazy about the style. I officially hate barleywines as well, so you were right when you said the olde school probably wasnt good to me because I dont like the style. I had Boulder Beer's Killer Penguin and hated it just like olde school

Edited by Bartholomew Hunt, 15 January 2014 - 10:17 PM.

#947 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:40 PM

Picked up 4x 6 packs of Hopslam. What a great beer. If you can find it, and you like IPA's, get it. 

Had a Bruery Black Tuesday over Christmas, another great beer worth checking out if you can get your hands on it.

Since i'm in Michigan I get some good daily drinkers. Founders, Bells, New Holland all great brewerys.

BTW, sometimes you can find some rare beers on letspour.com

Edited by mrthemike, 15 January 2014 - 11:45 PM.

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#948 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:10 AM

Picked up 4x 6 packs of Hopslam. What a great beer. If you can find it, and you like IPA's, get it. 

Had a Bruery Black Tuesday over Christmas, another great beer worth checking out if you can get your hands on it.

Since i'm in Michigan I get some good daily drinkers. Founders, Bells, New Holland all great brewerys.

BTW, sometimes you can find some rare beers on letspour.com

A couple years back a few of my buddies and I did a road trip where we went to a bunch of baseball games and stopped at breweries along the way.  We went to Founders, Bells, and New Holland all in one day.  You are very fortunate to have so many great breweries in that area.  That one day we left Chicago and stopped at Three Floyds, then went to Bells, then Jolly Pumpkin, and then New Holland, and ended the night at Founders.

Edited by devilsfan26, 16 January 2014 - 08:10 AM.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#949 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:55 AM

A couple years back a few of my buddies and I did a road trip where we went to a bunch of baseball games and stopped at breweries along the way.  We went to Founders, Bells, and New Holland all in one day.  You are very fortunate to have so many great breweries in that area.  That one day we left Chicago and stopped at Three Floyds, then went to Bells, then Jolly Pumpkin, and then New Holland, and ended the night at Founders.

That's a good couple days, though I'm not a fan of Jolly Pumpkin. It's a bit of a hike, even for Michigan people, but if any of you guys are ever in Traverse City, Right Brain and Terra Firma are 2 of my favorite breweries in the country. Neither has very wide distribution, but they're totally worth a trip. Doesn't hurt that Traverse City/Sleeping Bear Dunes are beautiful.

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

#950 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:01 AM

My recent beer purchases and likes include: Victory Hop Ranch, Victory Dirt Wolf, Green Flash Palate Wrecker, DC Brau Corruption IPA, Flying Dog Double Dog IPA. Thats all I can remember off the top of my head.  I liked them all but I will say the Palate Wrecker was very expensive at $14.99/4.  Liked the beer but don't think it warrants the high price.  Really liked the DC Brau.  Wasn't expecting much from it but it's a really solid IPA.  Dirt Wolf is an excellent beer and well priced at $8.99/4.

Was really hoping to try Lagunitas Sucks but the local store sold out of 5 cases in a matter of hours. Blah.  Will keep looking for it. Has anyone here tried it?

Have a Founders Breakfast in the fridge as well that I'm looking forward to trying for the first time.  Hear great things about this beer.

As far as Uinta goes I've tried their Oaked Jacked Pumpkin and I liked it.  It's in my once a year pumpkin purchase plan.  I used to live down the street from Great Divide and my favorites there were Hercules, Espresso Yeti and an occassional DPA. They have some solid beers.I also live near Twisted Pine but never got to try any of their stuff.

#951 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:58 PM

My recent beer purchases and likes include: Victory Hop Ranch, Victory Dirt Wolf, Green Flash Palate Wrecker, DC Brau Corruption IPA, Flying Dog Double Dog IPA. Thats all I can remember off the top of my head. I liked them all but I will say the Palate Wrecker was very expensive at $14.99/4. Liked the beer but don't think it warrants the high price. Really liked the DC Brau. Wasn't expecting much from it but it's a really solid IPA. Dirt Wolf is an excellent beer and well priced at $8.99/4.

Was really hoping to try Lagunitas Sucks but the local store sold out of 5 cases in a matter of hours. Blah. Will keep looking for it. Has anyone here tried it?

Have a Founders Breakfast in the fridge as well that I'm looking forward to trying for the first time. Hear great things about this beer.

As far as Uinta goes I've tried their Oaked Jacked Pumpkin and I liked it. It's in my once a year pumpkin purchase plan. I used to live down the street from Great Divide and my favorites there were Hercules, Espresso Yeti and an occassional DPA. They have some solid beers.I also live near Twisted Pine but never got to try any of their stuff.

Well if you live anywhere near hazlet I have 5 cases of lagunitas sucks and all the espresso yeti you want lol

#952 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

That's a good couple days, though I'm not a fan of Jolly Pumpkin. It's a bit of a hike, even for Michigan people, but if any of you guys are ever in Traverse City, Right Brain and Terra Firma are 2 of my favorite breweries in the country. Neither has very wide distribution, but they're totally worth a trip. Doesn't hurt that Traverse City/Sleeping Bear Dunes are beautiful.

Yeah I didn't really know much of Jolly Pumpkin at the time but one of my buddies liked them and we needed to eat somewhere anyway so we made a stop there.  The beers we got there were alright.

My recent beer purchases and likes include: Victory Hop Ranch, Victory Dirt Wolf, Green Flash Palate Wrecker, DC Brau Corruption IPA, Flying Dog Double Dog IPA. Thats all I can remember off the top of my head.  I liked them all but I will say the Palate Wrecker was very expensive at $14.99/4.  Liked the beer but don't think it warrants the high price.  Really liked the DC Brau.  Wasn't expecting much from it but it's a really solid IPA.  Dirt Wolf is an excellent beer and well priced at $8.99/4.

Was really hoping to try Lagunitas Sucks but the local store sold out of 5 cases in a matter of hours. Blah.  Will keep looking for it. Has anyone here tried it?

Have a Founders Breakfast in the fridge as well that I'm looking forward to trying for the first time.  Hear great things about this beer.

As far as Uinta goes I've tried their Oaked Jacked Pumpkin and I liked it.  It's in my once a year pumpkin purchase plan.  I used to live down the street from Great Divide and my favorites there were Hercules, Espresso Yeti and an occassional DPA. They have some solid beers.I also live near Twisted Pine but never got to try any of their stuff.

I had Sucks last year and it was great.  I have been anxiously waiting for my store to get it, but if I were you I wouldn't go crazy trying to hunt it down if it's hard to find.  It is really good but there is no shortage of really good IPAs available.  Definitely worth a try if you find it though, but if not Brooklyn Blast is a very good substitute.

--John Buccigross

#953 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:24 PM

I picked up a six-pack of Lagunitas Sucks today as well as a four-pack of canned Bronx Pale Ale and two four-packs of Founders Imperial Stout.

I don't think I've had the Sucks before so I am looking forward to it. I opened a can of Bronx Pale Ale tonight and thought it was OK but not as good as when I had it on tap at MSG at the last Devils-Rangers game. I can't wait to start drinking a few Founders Imperial Stouts -- I first tried it last year and thought it was just as good if not better than Ten FIDY and a few bucks cheaper to boot. I am already planning to go back and buy some more tomorrow before they run out lol.

#954 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:58 PM

Split my growler of Eis Bock with a buddy yesterday. It was completely worth the hangover today. It's a bit sweet, anything with an ABV of 14.4 is gonna have some sweetness, but there's a pleasant malt flavor that really keeps the sweetness from becoming too prevalent. I really like the yeast and barley High Point uses, it gives their beers an excellent flavor. The Eis Bock is expensive to make, so it's rare as hell, but definitely worth making the trek next time they release it.

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

#955 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:37 PM

According to a report I am reading in the NY Post, InBev (anheuser Busch) is buying Blue Point Brewing.

#956 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:11 PM

According to a report I am reading in the NY Post, InBev (anheuser Busch) is buying Blue Point Brewing.

Yep saw this yesterday. Sad.  Honestly never went out of my way to buy Blue Point products but now will certainly go out of my way not to buy.

In other news I purchased a case of Nugget Nectar a couple days ago.  Love that stuff.

#957 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:16 PM

I hate seeing this, because I don't want the big 3 to force out the real craft brewers by outspending them, but a friend of mine took a tour of Goose Island, expected to be disappointed, but wants to get into the industry, so wasn't going to miss out, and was actually impressed by how well InBev treated the brewers, and the attitude they had toward the product. Not sure I'll buy Blue Point anymore; I'd rather spend my money on an independent business, but the quality should stay the same. 

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

#958 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

I hate seeing this, because I don't want the big 3 to force out the real craft brewers by outspending them, but a friend of mine took a tour of Goose Island, expected to be disappointed, but wants to get into the industry, so wasn't going to miss out, and was actually impressed by how well InBev treated the brewers, and the attitude they had toward the product. Not sure I'll buy Blue Point anymore; I'd rather spend my money on an independent business, but the quality should stay the same. 

To me the issue isn't about the product or how they treat the employees, it's how they treat the industry as a whole.  When they can't buy their competitors, they do whatever they can even if it's illegal to push them out of the marketplace, like giving free kegs to bars if they agree to stop selling a particular craft beer, etc.  They may own a few craft breweries, but their main focus is still to make craft beer hard to purchase, as is proven by their lobbying for complex distribution systems that make it more difficult for craft breweries to get their beers to consumers.  Check out Beer Wars on Hulu.

--John Buccigross

#959 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:53 PM

To me the issue isn't about the product or how they treat the employees, it's how they treat the industry as a whole.  When they can't buy their competitors, they do whatever they can even if it's illegal to push them out of the marketplace, like giving free kegs to bars if they agree to stop selling a particular craft beer, etc.  They may own a few craft breweries, but their main focus is still to make craft beer hard to purchase, as is proven by their lobbying for complex distribution systems that make it more difficult for craft breweries to get their beers to consumers.  Check out Beer Wars on Hulu.

No question. Like I said, I don't plan to buy Blue Point anymore.

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

#960 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:25 PM

Quick question where do all of you buy your favorite craft beers? Buy rites, wine academies, spirits, vingos?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users