1074 replies to this topic

#981 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

For those who are interested in whiskey beers, try Brooklyn Brewery's Wild Streak. I didn't like it as much as the whiskey stout they released a couple years ago, but in a similar way, they did a great job brewing a beer whose flavors would complement the whiskey flavor from the barrels rather than being drowned out by them. This one was a Belgian ale, almost a saison, and the sour Belgian notes transitioned nicely into the richer, sweeter whiskey flavors. All in all, a tasty, complex beer, one that understood what it was getting into, rather than using the flavor from the barrels as an excuse. Brooklyn really seems to get it with the whiskey beers, unlike the brewers who use it as a novelty.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#982 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:40 AM

For those interested, I wrote a review for Beer Wars that you can check out here.  Sadly, it is not kind and yes, to those old school people who remember Crasher's Movies thread from many moons ago, I still review, only for actual sites now!

http://revoltdaily.org/beerwarsreview/

Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#983 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,274 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:12 AM

For those interested, I wrote a review for Beer Wars that you can check out here.  Sadly, it is not kind and yes, to those old school people who remember Crasher's Movies thread from many moons ago, I still review, only for actual sites now!

Pretty interesting review but I have an observation on one of your lines:

"Inevitably, the film’s troubles lie in its one-sidedness.  A good documentary presents both sides of an issue and allows the viewer to decide for themselves"

While in a perfect world this line would make sense, how many documentaries that you see that earn universal praise do this?  Two examples of somewhat recent documentaries that have had huge impacts but are pretty much entirely one-sided are Gasland and An Inconvenient Truth.

My point is rarely do any modern documentaries give equal time to both sides.  They are pretty much always made with an agenda whether they are valid ones or not.  I think your review was a little unfair in that regard.

Edited by DevsMan84, 28 March 2014 - 11:15 AM.

#984 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:30 AM

What arguments could you possibly make for the other side though?  It's not a moral conflict where both sides have valid points, Anheuser-Busch and MillerCoors will do whatever they can to prevent craft breweries from gaining market share.  Nothing that they do has the best interest of the consumer in mind, it's all just about keeping the better beer away from the people who might want more of it after they've tried it.  Of course the movie is one-sided, but I don't know how they could have avoided that given the topic.  It's not like global warming where there are two sides and both have facts that can support their claims.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#985 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:36 AM

For those interested, I wrote a review for Beer Wars that you can check out here. Sadly, it is not kind and yes, to those old school people who remember Crasher's Movies thread from many moons ago, I still review, only for actual sites now!

Ive stayed away from this forum for a few weeks because facts and experiece gets you nowhere in an internet arguement so I was wasting my time. I have not seen this movie but its nice to see you take an unslanted view while watching it. Its really easy to watch a documentary and get fired up behind the cause. But DM84 is right, you cant say they should have shown both sides because no documentary does. Just look at any dreck michael moore puts out.

#986 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:01 PM

Ive stayed away from this forum for a few weeks because facts and experiece gets you nowhere in an internet arguement so I was wasting my time. I have not seen this movie but its nice to see you take an unslanted view while watching it. Its really easy to watch a documentary and get fired up behind the cause. But DM84 is right, you cant say they should have shown both sides because no documentary does. Just look at any dreck michael moore puts out.

It has nothing to do with "facts and experience."  Everyone else in this thread is an unbiased consumer talking about the beers they buy and drink, while you obviously have a vested interest in supporting the bigger guys that your store sells more of.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#987 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:16 PM

It has nothing to do with "facts and experience." Everyone else in this thread is an unbiased consumer talking about the beers they buy and drink, while you obviously have a vested interest in supporting the bigger guys that your store sells more of.

Ughhhh. You saying youre unbiased is absolutely ludicrous. Yeah man you caught me. I have 3000 shares of inbev and millercoors and im trying to sell more by going on this website to try and convert craft drinkers to coors light. Like what on gods green earth do you think this is? I have a vested interest because I dont say every craft beer is better than anything the big guys come out with? You saying that anything AB and MC produces is worse than any craft beer made in the world is the DEFINITION OF BEING BIASED. HOLY sh!t. I sell craft beer too, in fact theres a bigger profit margin on it, id sell nothing but craft if it sold like miller coors and bud. Jesus fvcking tits youre delusional. I complimented the guy for being unbaised. Apparently you got all your info from this movie because youre surely acting that way. I work in the business and you tell me im wrong, you watch a documentary and you're chock full of knowledge. Oh btw I asked my bud saleman, does AB distribute directly to any stores or bars? NO. 100% absolutely not. So as youve said before that they hand out free kegs to take of craft. Youre wrong.

Edited by Bartholomew Hunt, 28 March 2014 - 01:18 PM.

#988 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:18 PM

It has nothing to do with "facts and experience."  Everyone else in this thread is an unbiased consumer talking about the beers they buy and drink, while you obviously have a vested interest in supporting the bigger guys that your store sells more of.

This. I've defended Goose's taste, even if I don't like the way the Big 3 carry themselves. 

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#989 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:19 PM

This. I've defended Goose's taste, even if I don't like the way the Big 3 carry themselves.

Yes you have. The other guy has not.

And when it comes to taste and judging how good a beer is youre right facts and experience do not matter. But when someone keeps saying theyre right about how business is conducted when they dont have a clue. Then thats when facts and experience in the business does matter. And you can argue as much as you want that you know what youre talking about, but thats just being naive.

Edited by Bartholomew Hunt, 28 March 2014 - 01:25 PM.

#990 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:23 PM

Nor has he attacked it. He has given specific, logical, and coherent reasons why he won't drink it, which he is entitled to do.

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

#991 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:28 PM

Nor has he attacked it. He has given specific, logical, and coherent reasons why he won't drink it, which he is entitled to do.

YES HE HAS!!!! He was spreading lies about how they conduct their business, stating them as fact, and when I called bullsh!t and explained why hes wrong, all of a sudden IM the one thats wrong and lying and a hired hand.

#992 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:52 PM

Ughhhh. You saying youre unbiased is absolutely ludicrous. Yeah man you caught me. I have 3000 shares of inbev and millercoors and im trying to sell more by going on this website to try and convert craft drinkers to coors light. Like what on gods green earth do you think this is? I have a vested interest because I dont say every craft beer is better than anything the big guys come out with? You saying that anything AB and MC produces is worse than any craft beer made in the world is the DEFINITION OF BEING BIASED. HOLY sh!t. I sell craft beer too, in fact theres a bigger profit margin on it, id sell nothing but craft if it sold like miller coors and bud. Jesus fvcking tits youre delusional. I complimented the guy for being unbaised. Apparently you got all your info from this movie because youre surely acting that way. I work in the business and you tell me im wrong, you watch a documentary and you're chock full of knowledge. Oh btw I asked my bud saleman, does AB distribute directly to any stores or bars? NO. 100% absolutely not. So as youve said before that they hand out free kegs to take of craft. Youre wrong.

Yes, everything I know about beer I got from this one movie.  :rolleyes:  AB may not distribute directly, but they own distributors.  You might know more about distribution in NJ, but it's not the same everywhere else.  I have seen it said in multiple places that they illegally give free beer to bars that agree to eliminate certain craft taps, Beer Wars isn't the only report of that happening.

And when it comes to taste and judging how good a beer is youre right facts and experience do not matter. But when someone keeps saying theyre right about how business is conducted when they dont have a clue. Then thats when facts and experience in the business does matter. And you can argue as much as you want that you know what youre talking about, but thats just being naive.

Oh please, I know I have said at least once or twice in this thread that Goose Island beers don't taste any worse than they did before being sold to AB.  I won't buy them anymore, but I'm not going to tell people they're bad beers.

--John Buccigross

#993 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:55 PM

Yes, everything I know about beer I got from this one movie. :rolleyes: AB may not distribute directly, but they own distributors. You might know more about distribution in NJ, but it's not the same everywhere else. I have seen it said in multiple places that they illegally give free beer to bars that agree to eliminate certain craft taps, Beer Wars isn't the only report of that happening.

Oh please, I know I have said at least once or twice in this thread that Goose Island beers don't taste any worse than they did before being sold to AB. I won't buy them anymore, but I'm not going to tell people they're bad beers.

Sir I agree to disagree and I look foward to any reviews you post of new beers

Edited by Bartholomew Hunt, 28 March 2014 - 01:56 PM.

#994 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:40 PM

Pretty interesting review but I have an observation on one of your lines:

"Inevitably, the film’s troubles lie in its one-sidedness.  A good documentary presents both sides of an issue and allows the viewer to decide for themselves"

While in a perfect world this line would make sense, how many documentaries that you see that earn universal praise do this?  Two examples of somewhat recent documentaries that have had huge impacts but are pretty much entirely one-sided are Gasland and An Inconvenient Truth.

My point is rarely do any modern documentaries give equal time to both sides.  They are pretty much always made with an agenda whether they are valid ones or not.  I think your review was a little unfair in that regard.

Fair enough, but there's a fine line between having an opinion and being completely propagandized.  This one felt entirely too "rah rah" craft brewers and while I agree whole-heartedly with the sentiment, a genuine POV from the big boys would have been nice.

For some excellent neutral docs, I'd recommend Lake of Fire, The Act of Killing, Restrepo and Wasteland to start.  And Michael Moore is an ass, but at least he has more film construction skill.  Beer Wars was well intentioned but too amatuerish to recommend to the masses.

Thanks for checking it ou!

Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#995 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,274 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:42 AM

Just wanted to say that I noticed that Triumph's Philly location has closed recently.  Not surprised as I have known that one to be struggling since at least 2010 (that location opened in 2007).  Triumph is now down to 2 locations again (Princeton and New Hope) and last I heard they are still proceeding with the Red Bank location.

Taking the place of Triumph in Philly is a new brewpub called 2nd Story Brewing.

#996 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,893 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:42 AM

I'm new to this thread, and don't want to go through all prior posts to see if it's been mentioned, but I was up in Boston this weekend and enjoyed Kentucky Bourbon Ale.  Anyone know if it's sold at liquor stores in the area?  I imagine it's quite pricey, but it might be the best beer I've ever had.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#997 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,047 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:59 PM

Pepperkorn likes it, she was in KY when she had it I think?

I look for it now and then and never see it.

#998 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:56 AM

I'm new to this thread, and don't want to go through all prior posts to see if it's been mentioned, but I was up in Boston this weekend and enjoyed Kentucky Bourbon Ale.  Anyone know if it's sold at liquor stores in the area?  I imagine it's quite pricey, but it might be the best beer I've ever had.

I don't think we get that one in NJ but there are other barrel aged beers available.  Here are some you might like:

Dominion Oak Barrel Stout

New Holland Dragon's Milk

Weyerbacher Heresy

John Henry 3 Lick Spiker Ale

Innis & Gunn Oak Aged Beer

Dogfish Head Burton Baton

Edited by devilsfan26, 06 May 2014 - 11:00 AM.

--John Buccigross

#999 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:08 PM

Haven't been able to find that one, but whenever Brooklyn has released a special barrel aged, I've liked it, and I've had a problem with a lot of other breweries' versions. 

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

#1000 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,473 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:02 PM

Yes -- my friend brought it back from KY then I had it in KY and they are only just starting to ship it out. 

I'm not sure of anyone around that sells it now.  and in all honesty -- I now just drink bourbon.  I've been serial watching every English murder mystery series - going so far as to become an Acorn TV subscriber.

I'm here for the party

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users