1075 replies to this topic

#1001 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,303 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:11 AM

Good article about state of craft beer industry and the debate as to what defines what is craft beer

http://www.npr.org/b...ts-watered-down

#1002 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:02 PM

Good article about state of craft beer industry and the debate as to what defines what is craft beer

http://www.npr.org/b...ts-watered-down

Yeah idk if there really is a definition as to what craft beer should be considered. I mean the most obvious example is Sam Adams. Yeah its hard to consider Boston lager, cherry wheat and octoberfest craft because its so widely distributed. On the other hand though their imperial series and their 22oz seasonals like fat jack and honey queen arent widely available. So does that mean those beers aren't craft and sam isnt a craft brewery because they sell a ton of Boston lager and seasonal 6pks? I don't think so. I think its silly to not consider something craft just because it succeeds as long as it keeps the same quality ingredients.

#1003 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:49 PM

Yeah idk if there really is a definition as to what craft beer should be considered. I mean the most obvious example is Sam Adams. Yeah its hard to consider Boston lager, cherry wheat and octoberfest craft because its so widely distributed. On the other hand though their imperial series and their 22oz seasonals like fat jack and honey queen arent widely available. So does that mean those beers aren't craft and sam isnt a craft brewery because they sell a ton of Boston lager and seasonal 6pks? I don't think so. I think its silly to not consider something craft just because it succeeds as long as it keeps the same quality ingredients.

I mostly agree with you, as long as they keep independent ownership. I don't care that Sam grew a ton. I do care that Goose and Blue Point sold a large portion of their companies. IMO there's too much evidence of the big 3 stifling creativity and trying to force the smaller breweries out of the market, so even if Goose's product is still good (and if I'm at a bar with no craft brands, you'd better believe I drink Goose and like it), IMO it's bad for the craft  industry as a whole, and therefore for the quality and originality we enjoy in our beers, that they sold out. I'll never fault a brewery for being successful, though. Sam may not be my favorite, but they still produce the same quality product, and I know a ton of people who swear by it.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#1004 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,048 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:23 PM

We held our annual memorial day party and I ended up with a large cooler full of craft beers friends brought. Some I wouldn't have bought myself, so I should be good for a couple of months!

#1005 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,896 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:07 PM

Decided to splurge at Whole Paycheck and get three four packs of this.  Officially my favorite beer.

BpjzejaIIAAPvwW.jpg

BpjvjtvIgAAcmvX.jpg

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#1006 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:47 AM

Picked up a four-pack of Devil Dancer yesterday. I don't usually spend $20 for a four-pack of anything, but I figure since Sunday is Father's Day, I can consider it a present to myself.

foundersdevildancer275.jpg

#1007 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:12 PM

You're lucky to snag a four pack, at my store the limit was two bottles.  One of my friends aged one from last year so we split one of my fresh bottles and then split his aged one.  I like this beer fresh, and also enjoyed it aged.  With a year on it, it tastes like a completely different beer, it ages like a barleywine.  I couldn't decide which I preferred since they were so different.  The fresh one obviously is very hoppy, and the aged one was smoother and sweeter.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#1008 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:18 PM

Had the chance to try a bunch of beers from Other Half, all of them excellent. They're a new operation in Brooklyn. Here's hoping they're able to establish themselves.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#1009 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,303 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:30 PM

Lately I have been finding myself to enjoy west coast IPA's more than east coast ones.  Anyone have good recommendations for west coast IPA's?  Not really into Imperial IPA's or Triple IPA's.

#1010 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,896 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:45 PM

Picked up a four-pack of Devil Dancer yesterday. I don't usually spend $20 for a four-pack of anything, but I figure since Sunday is Father's Day, I can consider it a present to myself.

foundersdevildancer275.jpg

Saw this at the Whole Paycheck in Chelsea.  Going to pick up a four pack tonight ($15). 

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#1011 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:03 PM

Saw this at the Whole Paycheck in Chelsea.  Going to pick up a four pack tonight ($15). 

Wow it's hard enough to get a whole four pack of that stuff, and that price is a steal, usually it is at least $20.

Edited by devilsfan26, 26 June 2014 - 02:03 PM.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#1012 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,896 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:41 PM

Wow it's hard enough to get a whole four pack of that stuff, and that price is a steal, usually it is at least $20.

Sticker shock, was actually $25! Don't know what I was looking at. Going to save a few for the draft. Hope it's worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Posted Image

#1013 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:10 PM

Lately I have been finding myself to enjoy west coast IPA's more than east coast ones.  Anyone have good recommendations for west coast IPA's?  Not really into Imperial IPA's or Triple IPA's.

I like triples, so I may not be the best person to go by, but Stone in general is my favorite brewery, and they specialize in IPAs. I actually prefer their session beer, Levitation, which still tastes pretty IPAish to some of their actual IPAs. They're also doing some interesting stuff, mixing some Belgian yeasts with IPA hops and the like. I'm also a huge fan of Great Divide Titan IPA, though I got a bad 6 pack last time.

On an unrelated note, just picked up a bottle of Allagash Curieux. As some of you may have noticed, I am often attracted to whiskey beers. Sometimes this attraction leads to disappointment (actually, often, it seems like a ton of breweries use whiskey barrels as an excuse to half ass everything else). Allagash nailed it. I had Kentucky Bourbon Barrel recently, and liked it a lot, but I preferred the Curieux. They age a Belgian beer, which creates a couple of different flavors that really evolve in your mouth. It's a well brewed, interesting beer. A bit expensive -- I dropped $17 for a bomber -- but well worth it for a treat.

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

#1014 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:56 PM

Lately I have been finding myself to enjoy west coast IPA's more than east coast ones. Anyone have good recommendations for west coast IPA's? Not really into Imperial IPA's or Triple IPA's.

West coast only? I'd definetly try 21st Amendment Bitter American. Not an IPA but an APA session which is basically the same thing. It's a year round offering, only $10, and really good. Usually that style has a hint of grapefruit, this one has a hint of vanilla. I really enjoyed it.

#1015 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,303 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:24 PM

West coast only? I'd definetly try 21st Amendment Bitter American. Not an IPA but an APA session which is basically the same thing. It's a year round offering, only $10, and really good. Usually that style has a hint of grapefruit, this one has a hint of vanilla. I really enjoyed it.

I had their Hell or High Watermelon a couple of years ago and thought it was decent for a fruit beer.  I will see if I can find their Bitter American and try it out.  Thanks fo the suggestion

#1016 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,896 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:27 PM

Sticker shock, was actually $25! Don't know what I was looking at. Going to save a few for the draft. Hope it's worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, I drank the four pack during the draft.  I liked it a lot, although IPAs do give me heart burn.

The bottle says 12% alcohol content.  Man were they not kidding.

Posted Image

#1017 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,303 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:29 PM

Was in Red Bank this past weekend and it looks like the West Side Lofts are coming along and it shouldn't be long until they are completed.  This is where the Red Bank location of Triumph Brewing is supposed to go.

However what is odd is that Triumph has not really mentioned on their website or FB about this location as "coming soon."  I wonder if the closing of their Philly location either put the wind out of their sails or maybe they are in some sort of financial trouble that is going on under the surface.  I do not see anything online indicating they are NOT going to open in Red Bank but it looks like they are being a little quiet about it.  I know Triumph has been lusting for that location since 2002/2003 and would have opened there but because of the old laws that were finally changed in 2012, they were forced to open their 2nd and 3rd locations in PA.

#1018 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:19 AM

Hi, I'm still alive.

I'll be in NJ with a serious beer-drinker friend of mine for a show at Starland Ballroom on Monday.  We'll have some time to kill before the show, so I was looking for recommendations on good places to pre-game.  Some place with a lot of taps...Middlesex County preferable, since I'm familiar with that area...but something closer to Sayreville is fine as well.

Let me know when you can. 

Or ignore this post...but if I die tragically in the coming days, you'll say to yourself, "If only I'd replied to him when I had the chance...NOW HE'S GONE!"

So...ya know...don't miss out is what I'm saying.

"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#1019 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,303 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

There is World of Beer in New Brunswick that's somewhat close.

#1020 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:56 AM

Maloney's in Matawan I think is the best beer bar in the area, it's about 20 minutes east of Starland Ballroom.  Directions

--John Buccigross

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users