1024 replies to this topic

#121 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:00 PM

Hey I am now home and my husband cracked open the Gnomegong --- it tastes like a really real Belgian. I'd recommend it!

I think it's the La chouffe and Ommegong people

I'm nearly certain Ommegang is actually owned by Duvel.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#122 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,396 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:54 PM

Did they buy them then? I haven't followed them in ages -- last time we went there Hennepin was their new brew and Witte was just in development. We were visiting one of my husband many alma maters in Cobbleskill and headed to Cooperstown for fun. That was loooong ago though before we had Rebecca even.

Gnomegong is a collaboration between Brasserie d ‘Achouffe and Ommegong -- it must be brewed in Cooperstown because it's still labeled Belgian style. By taste -- It's a beligian though.... :) mmmmm!

I'm a fan of La Chouff anyhow though --- and NOT just because I like garden gnomes.... :o did I just write that?!?!?! Ihad to toss 2 of mine (garden gnomes) I only have one.... and I am going to fill his little gnomey wheel barrow with beer to keep slugs away ... :wub:

Edited by Pepperkorn, 03 June 2011 - 10:45 AM.

I'm here for the party

#123 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,697 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:37 AM

Yeah I have also been into the whole fruity or different tasting beers. Have you tried Sea Dog Blue Paw (Blueberry Wheat)? Thats a very very good fruity beer. They also have an raspberry wheat one that I havent tried yet as well as apricot wheat. If you havent tried it youll have to hunt that beer down.

Hey where did you find the Sea Dog beer? I am looking and having trouble finding it.

Also anyone else have suggestions for beers that have some kind of fruity flavor to it? I especially am looking for something along the lines of raspberry and blueberry.

#124 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:40 AM

Hey where did you find the Sea Dog beer? I am looking and having trouble finding it.

Also anyone else have suggestions for beers that have some kind of fruity flavor to it? I especially am looking for something along the lines of raspberry and blueberry.

I am up in Sussex County and generally all the liquor stores have it. Its a beer from Maine I believe so it shouldnt be to hard to find around here. Do you have Wine Country's down by you? Or A&P/Shoprite Liquor stores? They should also carry it. Usually beer websites have a link that you can type your zip in and find who sells it around you but Sea Dog doesnt have that option.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#125 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,697 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:47 AM

I am up in Sussex County and generally all the liquor stores have it. Its a beer from Maine I believe so it shouldnt be to hard to find around here. Do you have Wine Country's down by you? Or A&P/Shoprite Liquor stores? They should also carry it. Usually beer websites have a link that you can type your zip in and find who sells it around you but Sea Dog doesnt have that option.

Cool thanks and I have both not far from me. I went on the Sea Dog website to find them and just saw a list of distributors in NJ, but no retail stores.

#126 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:54 AM

Cool thanks and I have both not far from me. I went on the Sea Dog website to find them and just saw a list of distributors in NJ, but no retail stores.

No problameo. Apparently Samuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Beer is a decent beer also. Beeradvocate.com gave it a overall B+. Ill have to hunt that down too. The head of the beer even comes out with a nice pink hue to it.

Posted Image
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#127 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,396 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:11 AM

Hey -- so I was wishing I could get my brother-in-law to post here but he's just not that kind of a guy. THEN I REMEMBERED! Our bud has a blog. We never see him anymore though - alcohol has sucked him away not in the alchy way :P . His wife worked with my sister for years and he made my sister's Burns Night parties. He's the one who got us all turned onto Fullers Reserves...ANYHOW so here is a link to his blog. He's OBSESSED with beer and Scotch. I don't always agree with his taste but he's still massively (too if you ask me <_<) knowledgeable.

Lew's blog

I can't talk about beer like he can. I can't even TRY! He's the one who gets or steers us to weird stuff and SO MUCH I can't keep them all straight. He's always bringing Falconer flasks of scotch INSANE stuff... and Whiskyfest is just HUGE with him. We never go anymore -- it's too expensive and in the middle of the week and stuff...it's been 2 years I think since we've even seen him - but when I look at the blog I think OY! my mind melts - I really like him but I never think I form any impression on him - I dont see how anyone can- he's loud fast and furious!! I can't even read his blog - it wears me out and his LAUGH! ok ok -- I'm blabbing... :P

Edited by Pepperkorn, 04 June 2011 - 11:20 AM.

I'm here for the party

#128 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:15 PM

Hey DM84, did you ever find the Blue Paw?

Posted Image

#129 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:32 PM

Did anyone go down to Philly during Philly Beer Week? I went to Kite and Key in Philly on whatever Monday that was (the 6th I think?) and to Capone's in Norristown that Thursday.

At Kite and Key I had on tap...
Founders Centennial IPA
Founders Canadian Breakfast Stout
Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout
Founders Nemesis 2010 (barleywine)
Founders Imperial Stout

The one keg of CBS lasted 17 minutes. My buddies and I made sure to get there early so we didn't miss out. We told her we drove an hour and a half for it, so our waitress made sure to take care of us. She also let us have the KBS afterwards, even though she previously said it was supposed to be one or the other. There were lots of guys that walked in right around the start time and got neither while we enjoyed both. I would have felt bad if they weren't all wearing Phillies stuff.

At Capone's I had on tap...
Flying Fish Exit 11 (Hoppy American Wheat)
Flying Fish Exit 16 (Wild Rice Double IPA)
Deschutes The Abyss
Founders Cashew Mountain Brown
Founders Kaiser Curmudgeon
Ballast Point Bourbon Barrel Aged Tongue Buckler
Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout 2010

The Cashew Mountain Brown was listed as a "mystery keg" and even our waiter didn't know what it was until he brought it to us.

Here is how Founders describes it:
"Perhaps the most complex of our Mountain Brown series, it's an Imperial Brown Ale aged on cashews in maple bourbon barrels for 287 days, then aged on even MORE cashews for another 3 weeks for that extra, EXTRA nuttiness...10% ABV. Over 420+ pounds of cashews used."

We were hoping it would be CBS, and some guy at the table next to us somehow found out it wasn't, so we were kind of disappointed, he said it was "some walnut BS." Regardless, we were excited to try it because Founders is a hell of a brewery and their rare beers never disappoint. Turns out it was one incredible beer, I think it might have even been the best I ever had, the only ones that even come close are KBS, CBS, and Goose Island Bourbon County Stout.

It was great to have Exit 16 again, definitely another one of my all-time favorites. Also, I think the fact that they brewed it again, even if it was just for Philly Beer Week, is encouraging because hopefully it means they will be bottling it again soon.

Moral of the story...Philly is a good place after all, one week out of the year.

As for more readily-available stuff, I just tried Weihenstephaner Vitus a couple days ago. I'm not a huge fan of wheat beers, most of them are just meh to me, so I'm not even sure why I bought this one, but it was fantastic. It's a weizenbock, stronger than regular wheat beers, which I guess is why I enjoyed it more. They also make a very good hefeweizen.

Edited by devilsfan26, 23 June 2011 - 11:38 PM.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#130 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,697 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:04 AM

Hey DM84, did you ever find the Blue Paw?

No I have not but haven't been really actively looking for it. I did get Blue Point Blueberry Ale though at the liquor store near me. It is good, but not great.

#131 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,944 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:40 PM

Did anyone go down to Philly during Philly Beer Week? I went to Kite and Key in Philly on whatever Monday that was (the 6th I think?) and to Capone's in Norristown that Thursday.

At Kite and Key I had on tap...
Founders Centennial IPA
Founders Canadian Breakfast Stout
Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout
Founders Nemesis 2010 (barleywine)
Founders Imperial Stout

The one keg of CBS lasted 17 minutes. My buddies and I made sure to get there early so we didn't miss out. We told her we drove an hour and a half for it, so our waitress made sure to take care of us. She also let us have the KBS afterwards, even though she previously said it was supposed to be one or the other. There were lots of guys that walked in right around the start time and got neither while we enjoyed both. I would have felt bad if they weren't all wearing Phillies stuff.

At Capone's I had on tap...
Flying Fish Exit 11 (Hoppy American Wheat)
Flying Fish Exit 16 (Wild Rice Double IPA)
Deschutes The Abyss
Founders Cashew Mountain Brown
Founders Kaiser Curmudgeon
Ballast Point Bourbon Barrel Aged Tongue Buckler
Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout 2010

The Cashew Mountain Brown was listed as a "mystery keg" and even our waiter didn't know what it was until he brought it to us.

Here is how Founders describes it:
"Perhaps the most complex of our Mountain Brown series, it's an Imperial Brown Ale aged on cashews in maple bourbon barrels for 287 days, then aged on even MORE cashews for another 3 weeks for that extra, EXTRA nuttiness...10% ABV. Over 420+ pounds of cashews used."

We were hoping it would be CBS, and some guy at the table next to us somehow found out it wasn't, so we were kind of disappointed, he said it was "some walnut BS." Regardless, we were excited to try it because Founders is a hell of a brewery and their rare beers never disappoint. Turns out it was one incredible beer, I think it might have even been the best I ever had, the only ones that even come close are KBS, CBS, and Goose Island Bourbon County Stout.

It was great to have Exit 16 again, definitely another one of my all-time favorites. Also, I think the fact that they brewed it again, even if it was just for Philly Beer Week, is encouraging because hopefully it means they will be bottling it again soon.

Moral of the story...Philly is a good place after all, one week out of the year.

As for more readily-available stuff, I just tried Weihenstephaner Vitus a couple days ago. I'm not a huge fan of wheat beers, most of them are just meh to me, so I'm not even sure why I bought this one, but it was fantastic. It's a weizenbock, stronger than regular wheat beers, which I guess is why I enjoyed it more. They also make a very good hefeweizen.

That's awesome, man. Nice reviews. It sounds like you and your buddies really know what you're doing. I wish I went.

I finally found Exit 4 by me, but I have yet to try it. Hopefully soon.

#132 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:47 PM

Spent last Saturday sampling New Jersey brews aboard the Battleship New Jersey in Camden. Apparently it was their 12th time holding the annual event. Very cool. Some good brews too. Unfortunately, I did a pretty terrible job of keeping track of what I sampled and what brewery it was from.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#133 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,396 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:32 PM

Spent last Saturday sampling New Jersey brews aboard the Battleship New Jersey in Camden. Apparently it was their 12th time holding the annual event. Very cool. Some good brews too. Unfortunately, I did a pretty terrible job of keeping track of what I sampled and what brewery it was from.

What good are you then? You're like... ME even!

devilsfan26 -- did you check out my link to Lew Bryson's blog? If you're really interested in beer I think you'd really like it. I just read Victory is coming out with a Smoked dubble... that should be interesting...

I'm here for the party

#134 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:26 AM

devilsfan26 -- did you check out my link to Lew Bryson's blog? If you're really interested in beer I think you'd really like it. I just read Victory is coming out with a Smoked dubble... that should be interesting...

I checked it out quickly but haven't really looked through it yet. I'll give it some time tomorrow when I get home from work. Do you know when that smoked dubbel will be coming out? It does sound interesting.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#135 newjerseydamo

newjerseydamo

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:34 AM

I'm currently staying with a mate after moving interstate, before I move into a rental house.

There is a micro-brewery about 10 minutes away, who also sell setups for the home:
A small fridge to fit several 19 litre kegs, gas and beer lines running up to actual beer taps, that sit on top of the fridge.

So it's been quite a nice time relaxing on the weekends, pooring my own beers from a tap.

Will be such a shame to lose it when I move out in a couple of weeks - I will have to invest into my own setup :)

"Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to none."
Posted Image

#136 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:24 PM

Great article on Beer (Mainly West Coast Breweries)

CNN Berrong On Beer

Posted Image

#137 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:44 PM

i haven't drank for over a year now (health reasons) but i remember my taste in beer progressing in this order

red dog
coors light
miller light
olde englishe (sp?)
amstel light
samuel adams cherry wheat
heineken
killians (probably my favorite)

#138 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:18 AM

hogaarden

#139 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,396 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:01 AM

Ah... the new extended family thing is CANS. Trying to find a great beerin a can. My sister is on Sly Fox Weisse. It's not bad... gabe you'd like it :P

I'm here for the party

#140 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,004 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 11:50 AM

The parties all seem to have Stella Artois lately, its become an acquired taste for me but it is still miles ahead of the Bud/miller lights.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users