1063 replies to this topic

#141 Devilish34

Devilish34

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,324 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:27 PM

The parties all seem to have Stella Artois lately, its become an acquired taste for me but it is still miles ahead of the Bud/miller lights.

Thats no big hurdle

86 the Kool Ade -- we need some fvcking icewater for these pussies

Posted ImageRIP Bill 1931-2007
RIP Major/Dr. John Paul Pryor killed in Iraq on 12/25/08. You will be greatly missed and can never be replaced.
What Happened To Dr Pryor?

You might be a Redneck if you brag about running a 11.57@118.14Posted Image

#142 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,790 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 11:48 PM

Stella is owned by Anheuser-Busch/InBev which usually means there is much better of the same style out there except without the advertising budget. In the same token I find the new Budweiser cans annoying in that a foreign-owned company is using the American flag to sell their crappy excuse for beer to us.

What did everyone drink for Independence Day? I went with Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues in Colorado. Nothing mindblowing, but way better than the typical swill, and brewed by an all American and independent brewery.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#143 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:28 PM

Anyone read a recent article that was somewhat buried in the SL about a couple weeks ago about how there is a bill right now in the state legislature that would make it legal for NJ brewpubs and microbreweries to sell their beer in local liquor stores? Would be neat and would def make it easier on me. I know the people at JJ Bittings in Woodbridge are big and vocal supporters of this and are helping to drive this through. Have no idea the status of that bill now.

Edit: Found it! It was on MyCentralJersey.com

Beer Legislation

Edited by DevsMan84, 05 July 2011 - 01:35 PM.

#144 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,384 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:35 PM

I just brewed my own again...The Devils Brew it's called.

Bud is still the best.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#145 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,790 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:49 PM

Bud is all about mass production, quantity over quality. I've never heard of anyone who brews their own beer that prefers any mass-produced macro light lager over any craft beer. You are the first.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#146 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:53 PM

I started drinking Red Stripe again along with Newcastle. Both good summer beers.

Saw Sam Adams Double Bock the other day in the store. Anyone try it? 9.5% ABV

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#147 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:57 PM

Bud is all about mass production, quantity over quality. I've never heard of anyone who brews their own beer that prefers any mass-produced macro light lager over any craft beer. You are the first.

Bud and Coors are the two worst beers in the world. Blue Moon (which is produced by Coors) is the worst wheat beer in the world. I love it when my friends brag about drinking some fine beer aka Blue Moon via Facebook

I then immediately unfriend them. I now have like 30 friends left after having hundreds a couple years ago.

#148 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,790 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:04 PM

It's all about marketing. I've never seen a commercial for any wheat beer other than Blue Moon. Why? I'm guessing because MillerCoors can afford to make those ads mostly because of ridiculous beer distribution laws that serve no function other than to preserve the big boys' stranglehold on the market.

Also, most people don't know it is made by Coors because they don't want to admit it anywhere on the packaging. Instead it refers to a "Blue Moon Brewing Co."

Edited by devilsfan26, 05 July 2011 - 02:08 PM.

--John Buccigross

#149 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:07 PM

It's all about marketing. I've never seen a commercial for any wheat beer other than Blue Moon. Why? I'm guessing because MillerCoors can afford to make those ads mostly because of ridiculous beer distribution laws that serves no function other than to preserve the big boys' stranglehold on the market.

Also, most people don't know it is made by Coors because they don't want to admit it anywhere on the packaging. Instead it refers to a "Blue Moon Brewing Co."

Pretty much. When I tell people that Blue Moon is made by Coors, they get upset and start telling me no im lying and they point to that part of the label that says Blue Moon Brewing Co. I tell them to google it and then they get all pissy at me.

#150 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,424 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:19 PM

What did everyone drink for Independence Day? I went with Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues in Colorado. Nothing mindblowing, but way better than the typical swill, and brewed by an all American and independent brewery.

Ommegang Witte for me.. but in a big plastic red cup even the face oiled finger stir I learned at high school keggers back in the day didn't take that foam down...

mostly it was Sangria though - a good one too! I'm very fussy about my Sangrias!

I've been wanting a Red Stripe lately.... I'll have to make some hothothot meat patties to go with them though.

Bud in a can is soda pop - there are times I actually enjoy it :ninja:

What's your brew like Leeds? Do you use a kit?

I know SOOOO many people that brew their own. The Sam Adams kits turn out well.... I'm always leery of the totally home brewed no kit. I can't tell you how many of those I've had. I do want to grow my own hops next year though....

I'm here for the party

#151 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,384 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:21 PM

You "unfriend" people because they like a beer you don't?

Pretty shallow.

Anyway, Bud is a staple in my garage since college (high school ) and will remain till the day I die. However, I love multitudes of beers, but Bud is literally NEVER not in my fridge.

I brewed my own beer 3 years ago that was probably the best I ever drank, and my current brew is very good too.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#152 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,424 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:22 PM

Oh I did the sampler at Ship Inn.... it cinches it.... they're so bland. We have to find a new Friday night haunt.

Triumph in New Hope is so trendy. We need somewhere where the kid can have fun too.

I'm here for the party

#153 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,384 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:23 PM

I brewed my beer at the brewers apprentice in Freehold. This brew is like a summer ale.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#154 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:27 PM

You "unfriend" people because they like a beer you don't?

Pretty shallow.

Anyway, Bud is a staple in my garage since college (high school ) and will remain till the day I die. However, I love multitudes of beers, but Bud is literally NEVER not in my fridge.

I brewed my own beer 3 years ago that was probably the best I ever drank, and my current brew is very good too.

Yes, I am a pretty shallow guy.

#155 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,424 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:01 PM

I brewed my beer at the brewers apprentice in Freehold. This brew is like a summer ale.

That's cool! It sounds like a birthday party activity for 30something year olds! I mean that in a good way -- well you're a dad - you know!

Everyone I know uses just the worst crap one guy fermented it in bags :doh1:

I drink that "french Lemonade" they have in stopper bottles...my brother-in-law has me save those for bottle fermenting. A former co-worker was really serious about her brewing -- she was probably the best brewer I've known. She did a beautiful chocolate stout... who DOES that? She's the one who's got me into thinking about growing my own hops. Anyhow she had a bunch of kegs large and small.

One of my old neighbors with just WAAY too much time on his hands had the whole brass kettle set up in our little complex... wtf! :lol:

I'm here for the party

#156 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,384 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:31 PM

Yes, I am a pretty shallow guy.

Good for you.

That's cool! It sounds like a birthday party activity for 30something year olds! I mean that in a good way -- well you're a dad - you know!

A lot of people go in small groups and split the beer.

The Brewers Apprentice
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#157 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:16 AM

Idk if any of you use Beer Advocate, but they are always really spot on with their ratings and newest beers hitting the market. I would check it out, I go by this site pretty closely.
Beer Advocate

Posted Image
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#158 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,790 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:13 AM

Beer Advocate is the best, I learned a ton about beer from that website. I don't post reviews or anything, but it is great for general information about beer (various styles, which glassware to use, etc.), and also to see what average ratings beers have before deciding to buy it.
--John Buccigross

#159 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:23 AM

Beer Advocate is the best, I learned a ton about beer from that website. I don't post reviews or anything, but it is great for general information about beer (various styles, which glassware to use, etc.), and also to see what average ratings beers have before deciding to buy it.

Thats exactly what I do. I dont rate or anything like that but I do check out beers that I happen to see and dont recognize on the shelf. If it gets good ratings and people say decent things about it, Ill go buy it and try it myself.

I really dont think people realize how wide and vast the world of beer really is.

I mean....Bud Light got a D- on the site. :rofl: :puke: They clearly know what they are talking about.

Posted Image

#160 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:29 PM

Thats exactly what I do. I dont rate or anything like that but I do check out beers that I happen to see and dont recognize on the shelf. If it gets good ratings and people say decent things about it, Ill go buy it and try it myself.

I really dont think people realize how wide and vast the world of beer really is.

I mean....Bud Light got a D- on the site. :rofl: :puke: They clearly know what they are talking about.

Bud should be F. I'd rather drink dog piss while it is having a UTI after rolling around in the mud for 10 hours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users