179 replies to this topic

#41 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,452 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:48 PM

hey this dude outscored the ENTIRE 4th line last year... by HIMSELF!!

This is a good thing....already Asham and Clakrson makes for a good start to a 4th line that can be useful... maybe Rass comes back as the center ??

(yes I know we have Rupp, but that don't mean we gotta play him :P)

this team has a lot of interchangable peices again too... liking that
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#42 elias2600

elias2600

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:50 PM

asham is a utility guy like rass, but can score more than rass, and pisses other players off more than rass. Still no match for the ultimate utility player (brylin) though.

#43 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,391 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:50 PM

I am fond of the way Lou picks up guys who's heads I want to smack when we play against them! Well who I want to smack yet feel mildly envious of (Why can't OUR guys do that?) as opposed to "G_______D! I HATE THAT F___KER!!!"

Rass was pretty happy - pretty content - sadly started just lacking in freshness.

I'm here for the party

#44 Jdub

Jdub

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:51 PM

Most devil teams are interchangable pieces. We just dont have that Classic Devil foward of championship devil teams. example: Randy McKay, Jason Arnott

#45 SteveStevens

SteveStevens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:54 PM

This is a strong upgrade from Ras. Im happy with this signing.

#46 SteveStevens

SteveStevens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:56 PM

A new spin on a 3rd line and 4th line idea.

Possibly having the Brylin-Madden-Pando line together as the 4th line to play defense. And to play powerplay kills.

Have our rougher who can score with Asham-Rupp-Clarkson play a 3rd line role, because Rupp can score, Clarkson can score, and yup Asham can too. Looks like a strong lineup.

#47 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:58 PM

Rasmussen was gone before we signed Asham - this just makes it more obvious.

Asham played a good deal on the third line last year for the Islanders - he's got some skills. I suppose now a line of Asham-Brylin-x where x is Rupp, Janssen, or Viukhola is capable of actually playing 8 minutes a game, but it's still not all that valuable. Perhaps Lou thinks Asham can play RW with Madden and Pandolfo? That means a fourth line of Rupp-Brylin-Clarkson which actually sounds quite appealing.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#48 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,452 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:59 PM

A new spin on a 3rd line and 4th line idea.

Possibly having the Brylin-Madden-Pando line together as the 4th line to play defense. And to play powerplay kills.

Have our rougher who can score with Asham-Rupp-Clarkson play a 3rd line role, because Rupp can score, Clarkson can score, and yup Asham can too. Looks like a strong lineup.

small problem there... the Devils 3rd line gets the first line type minutes, so when you look at our lines the minutes usually go:

3 (18-20 mins)
1 (18-20 mins)
2 (12-15 mins)
4 (5-8 mins)

maybe this will balance out more now.....

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

#49 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:02 PM

small problem there... the Devils 3rd line gets the first line type minutes, so when you look at our lines the minutes usually go:

3 (18-20 mins)
1 (18-20 mins)
2 (12-15 mins)
4 (5-8 mins)

maybe this will balance out more now.....

CRASHER: it was demonstrated pretty convincingly that that was a terrible idea last season, and probably the season before it. I mean, Pandolfo and Madden have been minus players the past two seasons - are they really that much better at stopping teams from scoring than our 2nd or first line? I'm not saying give up on matching lines, but just give it a rest sometimes, especially away from New Jersey.

The distribution should go something like 18, 17, 16, 9.

#50 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:04 PM

Perhaps Lou thinks Asham can play RW with Madden and Pandolfo? That means a fourth line of Rupp-Brylin-Clarkson which actually sounds quite appealing.

Pando - Madden - Asham --- That's a serious shutdown line... :D
Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#51 Jdub

Jdub

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:07 PM

yea the devils should most definately only match lines sometimes against certain players who you know can do damage to them. I think the devils should spread their wings a little bit and let pandolfo and madden try and score a little bit instead of having their main concentration be on D

#52 SC Devs Fan

SC Devs Fan

The News Guy

• Members
  • 6,316 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:09 PM

Don't know much about him... but I'm glad to see he general concensus is this is good for us. I like we are getting tougher...
"There is money in the banana stand"

George Bluth

#53 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,452 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:11 PM

CRASHER: it was demonstrated pretty convincingly that that was a terrible idea last season, and probably the season before it. I mean, Pandolfo and Madden have been minus players the past two seasons - are they really that much better at stopping teams from scoring than our 2nd or first line? I'm not saying give up on matching lines, but just give it a rest sometimes, especially away from New Jersey.

The distribution should go something like 18, 17, 16, 9.

I do agree that age, the newer rules and less defense behind them has made the shutdown line theory a bit obsolete, but we'll see if the Devils think so now too (also didn't hurt that the 4th line was an abyss of non-scoring no energy players... this current 4th line seems a vast improvement there)... I have no problem taking minutes from the Madden line and giving it to an energy line

I also think back in the Cup winning years the line distribution time was more like you mentioned too, having quality on ALL FOUR lines helps that be possible!

#54 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,260 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:17 PM

Pando - Madden - Asham --- That's a serious shutdown line... :D

I actually like this idea better than having Asham wasted on the 4th line.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#55 SteveStevens

SteveStevens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:22 PM

I want Asham on the 3rd line where he can do more. Asham is like Janssen but can actually play hockey, he gets under their skin and just plas the game right. He is a prototypical Devil.

#56 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:29 PM

I actually like this idea better than having Asham wasted on the 4th line.

I'm glad you both agree with me. :D
Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#57 voxangelikus

voxangelikus

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:30 PM

I like how the Rangers tried to build themselves another all-star team to win a Cup, whereas the Devils have actually been putting the components together for an all-around solid team. That's one concept the Rangers never seem to be able to grasp for some reason. You can't throw the best players and the biggest egos together and throw it against the wall and expect it to stick.

Asham, along with our other signings and our new coach, show that the Devils continue to stay devoted to remaining a solid team throughout. That's what won them 3 Cups. And it's why come Sept., everyone will be talking about how much the Devils are going to suck, and it's why come April, they'll still be in the running for the Atlantic Division.

#58 empulse27

empulse27

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:30 PM

I'm glad everyone's starting to see that having four fairly balanced lines is much better than what we've had in the past.

Now with our first and second line, our third line can be
Madden-Pando-Clarkson --> Clarkson will give the line offense which makes it more balanced

And our fourth line can posstibly be
Viukohla-Brylin-Asham with Rupp/Janssen/Pelley rotating in every once in awhile

Does everyone see how much more offense the fourth line has now with Brylin back there, Viukohla's potential, Asham's 25 points a season, Pelley's potential and Rupp's all-around ability to score a goal every once in awhile? As much as I like Janssen, he really should just go down to Lowell or get traded to a team like St. Louis for a draft pick.
Posted Image
of Randy McKay
of the old video intro song "Standing in Motion" by Yanni

#59 SteveStevens

SteveStevens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:34 PM

:D Great minds occassionally will think something close.

Asham should be on the third line any way youre cutting it. He is capable of playing the time and pinching in his part of the offense.

#60 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:34 PM

The Devils signed Janssen for three years. I don't think they have any intention of letting him go. He's still the only guy on this team who can take on heavyweights and have a legitimate chance - Rupp is willing to fight some of them but he's just not a very good fighter.

vox, there are still very serious questions for this team on defense. let's not go giving ourselves the division just yet. aaron asham is probably worth 1 win this season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users