179 replies to this topic

#161 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,583 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:39 PM

Janssen isn't so bad that the other team will automatically score every time he's on the ice. We put worse lines on the ice last season and the team didn't spontaneously lose the game.

He's actually not terrible from a defensive standpoint, but by no means is he good. I would like to see him play the puck rather than the body from time to time, and I do think that is something he can improve upon with time. Actually, the he played, the better he did seem to get with it. Not good enough to say he deserves a spot on the roster, but good enough to realize that he CAN be utilized when playing physical teams. He won't be a terrible liability on the ice.

I hope Asham won't be a liability, either, as he is known for taking bad penalties -- think it's something he'll be able to clean up a bit by playing with the Devils and potentially having a Madden/Pando combo for linemates. With that said, he's likely destined for the fourth line though.

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#162 britoon

britoon

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 06:32 PM

Regardless of whether or not Asham will be a worthwhile goal scorer...Janssen and Asham should definitely add plenty of penalty minutes to the team stats.

Hey if you can't beat 'em....um... beat 'em.
Posted Image

"Hockey is a beautiful, well-choreographed, symphony of violence
...a mixture of talent, grace and gladiatorial combat."

#163 SteveStevens

SteveStevens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 07:48 PM

True that penalty minutes could go up, but when youre down to it we have plenty of people that could change the game to how the team needs it. Janssen and Asham is a great enforcing duo, a hell of alot better than Hollweg and Orr.

#164 GOLDJR41

GOLDJR41

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:03 PM

Opps my bad. Totally forgot about that. Then it will be bye bye to Janssen as well or he will be a season long healthy scratch or even trade bait if some team wants some dead wood. :lol:

That dead wood is a hell of a lot more fun to watch then Arron Asham.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like Asham as a player. He is a GREAT fourth line player(and by GREAT I mean great by fourth line standards). He can score some goals and drop the gloves when asked of him.

That being said, if you think teams are gonna make note of Asham on a lineup card over Janssen on a lineup card, your out of your fing bird. Janssen makes you look up, and he makes you make sure your aware when he is on the bench because you don't want the first time your caught with your head down being your last.

You and Bettman have alot in common, by eliminating your definitions of "dead wood", your eliminating what makes hockey watchable.

:rolleyes:
Langs is the captain, deal with it.

If Doc Emrick, who called yesterday's Bruins-Rangers on NBC, were a national network's lead baseball or football play-by-player, he would be widely known as among the finest in the history of television.

#165 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,135 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:09 PM

That dead wood is a hell of a lot more fun to watch then Arron Asham.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like Asham as a player. He is a GREAT fourth line player(and by GREAT I mean great by fourth line standards). He can score some goals and drop the gloves when asked of him.

That being said, if you think teams are gonna make note of Asham on a lineup card over Janssen on a lineup card, your out of your fing bird. Janssen makes you look up, and he makes you make sure your aware when he is on the bench because you don't want the first time your caught with your head down being your last.

You and Bettman have alot in common, by eliminating your definitions of "dead wood", your eliminating what makes hockey watchable.

:rolleyes:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Imagine a line of:

Janssen/Rupp/Asham

Who would want to play against that line????

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#166 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,799 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:27 PM

Janssen is going to play between 30-50 games this year. He's not going anywhere. Arron Asham is a decent fighter but he can't take on guys like Neil or McGrattan or Laraque. Neither can Cam really, but he will anyway.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#167 GOLDJR41

GOLDJR41

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:00 PM

Imagine a line of:

Janssen/Rupp/Asham

Pound for pound the toughest line in hockey. Although none of them are heavyweights, Janssen can stand toe to toe with just about anyone, Rupp handles the middleweights pretty well, and Asham is willing to drop if need be. Throw in Clarkson and you have some fiesty fourthers.

Janssen is going to play between 30-50 games this year. He's not going anywhere. Arron Asham is a decent fighter but he can't take on guys like Neil or McGrattan or Laraque. Neither can Cam really, but he will anyway.

Bingo.

I don't expect Janssen to play 70+ games, I would be ignorant to think so...but if you think this team gains something by losing Cam's physicality, your crazy.

If Doc Emrick, who called yesterday's Bruins-Rangers on NBC, were a national network's lead baseball or football play-by-player, he would be widely known as among the finest in the history of television.

#168 SteveStevens

SteveStevens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:07 PM

Asham has already fought Neil. It was about even if i remeber right. It was when Asham had the bad eye too.

#169 Kicksave Brodeur!!

Kicksave Brodeur!!

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:18 PM

Imagine a line of:

Janssen/Rupp/Asham

I can only hope this is a preview of what a line with Janssen/Rupp/Asham could do...check it out...

Edited by Kicksave Brodeur!!, 09 August 2007 - 11:19 PM.

#170 brodeurrocks

brodeurrocks

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:21 AM

Agreed. Asham is a tough guy but he is no match for the true heavyweights. Cam will continue to answer the bell for the big tilts.

Posted Image

Official Keeper of David Clarkson's Open Ice Hits!

Official Keeper of the stains on Chico's shirt and tie from "Chico Eats" episodes!

#171 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 05:59 AM

Cam also knows how to hit. I like his hitting even more than his fighting.

If Cam works on his game as much this off season as he did the last I will be impressed.
Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#172 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 10:29 PM

Asham takes #22.....another Pepe?

#173 GOLDJR41

GOLDJR41

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 10:57 PM

Asham takes #22.....another Pepe?

Ah, not enough of an agitator, but they do have alot of similarites.

I'm getting more and more excited about this.

#174 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,911 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 11:13 PM

I can only hope this is a preview of what a line with Janssen/Rupp/Asham could do...check it out...

Hmmm... maybe we can convince them to grow out their hair and wear thick glasses... :o
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#175 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 03:36 PM

He is a gritty type and he has some skills when I saw him playing in Montreal. Plus, he is a decent fighter and I remembered he did give Tucker some good punches.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Chocolate + Devil = My life

#176 Dev4evr

Dev4evr

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 08:36 PM

ID love to see cam and ash(bookends) on the same line

#177 annabelle

annabelle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:02 AM

The Portage La Prairie, Manitoba native went on to post career highs in 2002-03, with 15 goals and 19 assists for 34 points. In 421 career games with the Canadiens and Islanders, Asham has collected 58 goals and 67 assists for 125 points.

Yuck
This post was brought to you by the letters, D, P & H

"I wasn't trying to be funny. If I was you would have noticed because you'd be laughing.."-C.G 04/14/07

"The winters of my childhood were long, long seasons. we lived in three places, the school, the church, and the skating rink. But our real life was on the skating rink" (from the back of the 5 Dollar bill, proof that Canada IS hockey country..)

Loyalty above all, Save honour

15 seconds left, your team is down a goal...Are YOU in the parking lot or still in the stands?

OFFICIAL MEMBER OF Team Awesome.ca...KEEPING MANITOBA AWESOME!!!!

"FLAMES FANS- the new generation of the 90's Leaf fans, naive and stupid with no actual hockey intelligence..(which is expected when 80% of your fanbase are bandwagoners who started watching April 2004)"- PureTalent#19

Keeper of the Sprite in Marty's water bottle
Posted Image

#178 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,674 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:54 AM

Yuck, but far better than a lot of fourth liners.

#179 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,717 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 09:33 AM

Yuck, but far better than a lot of fourth liners.

Combined :P
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#180 WakeForestDevil

WakeForestDevil

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:55 AM

All I know is that I am itching for the season to start. Let's see, it takes 45 minutes to fly to Newark...
The Hurricanes Suck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users