654 replies to this topic

#641 metallidevils

metallidevils

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 05:43 PM

Protection in a lineup now doesn't help a player? What a curious argument - I thought it was the other way around. Well whatever the case, protection in a lineup is mostly immaterial.

I'd take Prince Fielder on my team too over Bonds - but only because Prince is much more likely to play 162 games and can play a position on the field. Bonds' fielding isn't very good these days and he has to sit out a fair amount.

Bonds is still one of the top hitters in the league. If not the top, in the top three.

I said protection in a lineup would tank his OBP. He'd get more pitches to hit - he'd have a higher percentage of homeruns, sure, but considering the mind boggling number of walks he had last season, and considering how much that would go down with protection, his OBP would be very much compromised. Hitting by itself didn't give bonds the OBP he had, it was the walks. Unless I'm very mistaken, a guy with protection isn't going to have an OBP 200 points higher than his batting average.

Also, how is protection immaterial? He scored 75 runs last season, and generated 28 of them by himself! When essentially everyone else on the team pales in comparison to him, he's going to get walked, which is an easy OBP raise. Bonds is still a great hitter, but I don't really see his OBP as a good argument for that.

Edited by metallidevils, 11 October 2007 - 05:48 PM.

"We had our chances. But Martin Brodeur is a hell of a player."
Posted Image
Posted Image of "It's a power play goal! F*** you Sam Rosen!"

#642 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,069 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 12:27 AM

I said protection in a lineup would tank his OBP. He'd get more pitches to hit - he'd have a higher percentage of homeruns, sure, but considering the mind boggling number of walks he had last season, and considering how much that would go down with protection, his OBP would be very much compromised. Hitting by itself didn't give bonds the OBP he had, it was the walks. Unless I'm very mistaken, a guy with protection isn't going to have an OBP 200 points higher than his batting average.

Also, how is protection immaterial? He scored 75 runs last season, and generated 28 of them by himself! When essentially everyone else on the team pales in comparison to him, he's going to get walked, which is an easy OBP raise. Bonds is still a great hitter, but I don't really see his OBP as a good argument for that.

you're not examining why teams walk Barry Bonds in the first place - because he is really awesome, and he has the best eye in baseball.

Protection has little or nothing to do it - protection means very little in general. Barry Bonds used to be protected by Jeff Kent and drew just as many walks. He simply has a tremendous eye, along with all the intentional passes that come from being a great hitter.

You don't just walk a guy because you think he's good - he has to be a tremendous hitter to draw that many IBBs. His SLG would rise if his OBP fell. Believe it.

Edited by Triumph, 12 October 2007 - 12:28 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#643 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 08:00 AM

No Tri, you walk Bonds because noone else in the Giants lineup has any business in MLB. When your lineup is one good hitter, seven rejects and the pitcher you don't let the good hitter beat you. Bonds' OBP is a result of the crappy Giants lineup much more so than Bonds' ability.
"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#644 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,069 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 11:21 AM

No Tri, you walk Bonds because noone else in the Giants lineup has any business in MLB. When your lineup is one good hitter, seven rejects and the pitcher you don't let the good hitter beat you. Bonds' OBP is a result of the crappy Giants lineup much more so than Bonds' ability.

So why doesn't Bonds have an OBP of 1.000?

Or maybe he should only hit with the bases loaded? That sound good?

Bonds' career OBP is .444. He's had one season of sub .400 OBP since 1990 (!). He has the best eye in baseball - he's been protected and unprotected his whole career.

I am curious - was Rickey Henderson walked because he was such a huge threat to hit one out late in his career? Like say, in 1998 when Rickey had a .236 BA and .347 SLG but still managed a .376 OBP? No, it's because Rickey Henderson has a 1 in a million ability to recognize balls and strikes. So does Barry Bonds, and that's why he'd have a .420+ OBP wherever he hit, because he is a great hitter.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#645 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 12:40 PM

Barry Bonds in pinstripes + no Joe Torre = must-see TV

Edited by Jerrydevil, 12 October 2007 - 12:40 PM.

#646 Kicksave Brodeur!!

Kicksave Brodeur!!

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 02:57 PM

Posted Image

The kid should put that on e-bay, maybe A-rod will give em an extra million for it.

#647 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:13 PM

Well that kid got the last laugh! Shelly Duncan and his oversized head can shove it at far as he's concerned.

Hey, maybe Shelley Duncan and Wilson Betemit can be a bang-up platoon at third base next year.

#648 Kicksave Brodeur!!

Kicksave Brodeur!!

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:34 PM

Well that kid got the last laugh! Shelly Duncan and his oversized head can shove it at far as he's concerned.

Hey, maybe Shelley Duncan and Wilson Betemit can be a bang-up platoon at third base next year.

They could get that god damn squirrel to play 3rd,it would probably play for peanuts!

#649 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:36 PM

They could get that god damn squirrel to play 3rd,it would probably play for peanuts!

LMAO! Good one!

That rodent's probably sitting on the foul pole, saying, "Where did everybody go?"

#650 Kicksave Brodeur!!

Kicksave Brodeur!!

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:40 PM

LMAO! Good one!

That rodent's probably sitting on the foul pole, saying, "Where did everybody go?"

lol,maybe that peta yankee fan can bring it home for the winter,poor thing.

#651 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,382 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:45 PM

Good news, it appears that they will retain Pena and have a chance at keeping Bowa. I really hope they keep both of them, especially Bowa. Mattingly has said he is not coming back, and it appears Eiland will replace Guidry which I am fine with has he has worked with the young arms through the minors. Looks like Girardi is the next manager, hopefully he does well.

http://www.nyjournal...387/1034/SPORTS

The Yankee coaches' contracts expire on Wednesday. Along with Pena, the organization hopes to retain hitting coach Kevin Long. Third-base coach Larry Bowa has an offer from Seattle but delayed a decision in hopes of returning to the Yankees.

Pitching coach Ron Guidry is likely to be replaced. The same is probably true of bullpen coach Joe Kerrigan.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#652 InstantOatmeal

InstantOatmeal

Draft Pick

• Suspended
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:39 PM

Pettitte to Return to the Yankees

#653 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,223 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 05:10 PM

Pettitte to Return to the Yankees

It's official, you're TrentonDevils.

A jerk, idiot, ignorant loser, whp happens to like the Yankees (which isn't a flaw, just so y'know)

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#654 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 09:45 AM

It's friggin DECEMBER PEOPLE!!!!
:argh:
Enough about the friggin Yankers!!

How do I put a thread on "IGNORE" :doh1:

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#655 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,382 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 06:58 PM

It's friggin DECEMBER PEOPLE!!!!
:argh:
Enough about the friggin Yankers!!

How do I put a thread on "IGNORE" :doh1:

You could always just avoid clicking on it, that works too. :P Who cares if it is December, sports is a year round drama event.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users