Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,298 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:19 PM

http://www.newsday.c...ports-headlines

Posted Image

Bridgeport Bluefish catcher John Nathans, right, prevents Long Island Ducks' Jose Offerman (18) from hitting Bluefish pitcher Matt Beech with a bat.

BY MARSHALL LUBIN | marshall.lubin@newsday.com
4:30 PM EDT, August 15, 2007

Jose Offerman has been suspended indefinitely by the Atlantic League after a wild bat-swinging incident Tuesday night in Bridgeport, Conn. The Long Island Ducks infielder was arrested after charging the mound and injuring two players with his bat in the second inning of the Ducks' 13-12 win.

Offerman had homered on the game's first pitch. He came to bat in the second inning and after a first-pitch strike, he was hit on the left calf by lefthander Matt Beech. Bat in hand, he charged the mound, taking three swings at Beech and also hitting catcher John Nathans in the back of the head with a backswing. According to Bridgeport police, Beech broke the middle finger of his right hand and Nathans suffered a concussion. Offerman, Beech and Bluefish manager Tommy John were ejected after order was restored. Nathans remained in the game but upon returning to the dugout at the end of the inning, he passed out.

Police arrested Offerman in the visiting clubhouse, allowing him to dress before taking him from the stadium in handcuffs. He was charged with two counts of assault in the second degree and posted $10,000 bond. He will be arraigned Aug. 23.

"This type of thing happens but you don't go at a man with a bat," said Frank Boulton, the Ducks' principal owner and chief executive of the league. "It was not unprovoked but in no way do the Long Island Ducks condone Jose Offerman's actions."

John said that a pitcher intentionally hitting a batter is part of the game but doubted that was the case here.

"If you're going to hit somebody, you're not going to hit him on the calf," John said on ESPN's "First Take." "If you're incensed and think the pitcher's throwing at you, you drop the bat."

While Boulton wasn't sure why Offerman was arrested for an on-field incident, John said that Beech and Nathans filed charges. Atlantic League executive director Joe Klein is in Bridgeport speaking with the umpires and all parties involved. He suspended Offerman and released a statement saying that the incident is "under review and a decision on his status and that of other participants will be announced by week's end."

According to John, Beech will attempt to make his next start with his finger splinted, pending the league's investigation while Nathans is expected to miss the remainder of the season.

Edited by Satans Hockey, 15 August 2007 - 05:19 PM.

#2 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,927 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:34 PM

I want a video dammit!!! :P
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#3 brodeurrocks

brodeurrocks

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:51 PM

Holy Jose! What a whack job! Yeah, a video would be nice.

Posted Image

Official Keeper of David Clarkson's Open Ice Hits!

Official Keeper of the stains on Chico's shirt and tie from "Chico Eats" episodes!

#4 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,521 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:09 PM

If he didn't hit dogs then I don't think it matters.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#5 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,873 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:31 PM

Pathetic and sad.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#6 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,274 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:02 PM

Funny, but to many people that is very true.

I am surprised people don't make a bigger deal when pitchers throw 100 mph fastballs to batters' heads. That is even more dangerous.

Edited by devilsrule33, 15 August 2007 - 10:03 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#7 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,856 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:13 PM

Is the insinuation there that this guy assaulting two people is a serious crime, while what Vick supposedly did was not?
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#8 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,521 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:15 PM

Is the insinuation there that this guy assaulting two people is a serious crime, while what Vick supposedly did was not?

No, it's that people went crazy over Vick but really couldn't care less that this guy could have killed people.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#9 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,856 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:27 PM

No, it's that people went crazy over Vick but really couldn't care less that this guy could have killed people.

If Vick attacked two people with a baseball bat I think there would be the same condemnation and the same suspension. The Vick situation was more a factor of his celebrity - this guy here is a minor league baseball player I've never heard of before (though you could rattle off the entire line-up of the Anaheim Angels and I'd likely not know anyone).

Though, just out of curiosity, which is the worse crime in your opinion: "attacking two people with a baseball bat and giving one a concussion" or "torturing and killing several dogs"?
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#10 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,521 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:41 PM

It doesn't matter which is worse, they're both horrible. Offerman could have killed the guy he gave a concussion to. Why do you want to play a which is worse game when both are so bad?

Offerman was a 2 time all-star and was one of the better lead off guys in the league for a time so it isn't like he is an unknown player to baseball fans,

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#11 Deke

Deke

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:43 PM

The Devils should sign this guy, he could be that extra piece of grit we need.
Go Carp, go!
Salmonbellies rule!
Hit 'em harder cops!
But a hockey team called the Mighty Ducks?
Aw, man.

#12 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,927 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:45 PM

Offerman:
2 f's
50 E's
and one bat :P
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#13 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,378 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:56 PM

Pathetic and sad.

That sums it up perfectly.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#14 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:02 AM

Offerman was one of the better lead off guys in the league for a time.

Yikes, that's a stretch. I'd call him a one-dimensional player who's one dimension was a good batter's eye. He couldn't run, couldn't field, couldn't hit for power and didn't hit for an exceptionally high average.

#15 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,521 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:03 PM

His 95-99 were very good for lead off hitters. Offense was down then and his OBP was .380+ 4 of those 5 seasons. He didn't make 2 all star teams for no reason.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#16 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 05:46 PM

He didn't make 2 all star teams for no reason.

You're right. There is a reason. Someone from KC had to go!

#17 harpua19

harpua19

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 11:37 PM

dude is just nuts
"We're coming to your town
We'll help you party down!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users