Photo

Marijuana

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

Poll: pot. (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Which category do you fall under

1. No, I dont use it. Arrest the potheads. (13 votes [23.21%])

Percentage of vote: 23.21%

2. I don't use it but I think it should be decriminalized (31 votes [55.36%])

Percentage of vote: 55.36%

3. I smoke pot, but it should not be legalized. (2 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

4. I smoke pot and it should be legalized. (10 votes [17.86%])

Percentage of vote: 17.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,468 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 05:06 PM

The argument thrown back was that:
(a) marijuana users hurt more then themselves via DUI
(b) it's a gateway drug leading to harder drugs which people kill for

Don, I would respond to them that driving under the influence would still be illegal. If the threshold is that someone driving a car can be dangerous, I agree, but cough medicine can have harmful affects on drivers as well but that shouldn't be banned. Making things illegal because it's only 1 step away from something bad doesn't fly for me in most cases.

I don't think there has been anything definitive that says someone doing pot leads to harder drugs anymore than any other addiction does.

I agree that it's hard to understand how all cigs, pot, and alcohol are not all grouped together.

"Freedom is the right to do anything you want so long as it does no harm to others" is still a fuzzy definition

No quick one line definition can fit every possible circumstance, the world is full of greys, not all black and white, but I think it's a nice starting off point. As to the cocaine thing I think it probably should be legal if you are not hurting others through it's use(I know, huge grey area). We allow people to overeat themselves to death, as I think we should, so there are plenty of other harmful activities we allow but then others we decide we'll protect from them from themselves over.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#22 GA Devil

GA Devil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 05:44 PM

I am proud, I'll repeat PROUD, to say I smoke every day.

Every god-damned day.

So duh, yes it should be legal.

It is God's way of saying, "Relax. Have fun."
Let the celebration begin in the Daneyko household!!!!

#23 Senators Advocate

Senators Advocate

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:19 PM

I no longer smoke pot (been about 3 years since serious use stopped).

It should be legal.
Go Sens Go!!
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Polish God and first ever Sen Peter Sidorkiewicz and his severely underrated 4 game stint with Your New Jersey Devils.
2008 Philadelphia Phillies: World fvcking Champions!!

#24 Kicksave Brodeur!!

Kicksave Brodeur!!

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:47 PM

uh.. I usually smoke every day,either when I'm with my friends or by myself...uh whatever....

#25 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,899 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 08:56 PM

uh.. I usually smoke every day,either when I'm with my friends or by myself...uh whatever....

If no one smoked pot, there no one would like Dave Matthews Band.

THERE'S your perfectly good reason why it's illegal!

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#26 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:25 PM

I have never smoked pot, and I never will. I can really go either way if it should be legal or illegal, as long as no one bothers me, then I don't care what other people do on their time, with their money.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#27 TravisZajac

TravisZajac

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:37 PM

I smoke one time WEED,one time HASCH

I will never smoke again...Never.I'm not that type of guy..
Posted Image

#28 LetsGoDevils

LetsGoDevils

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 10:52 PM

Keep it illegal.
So Say We All

#29 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,279 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:47 PM

Alchohol and Marijuana are both impairing agents and thus create situations where you are more likely to hurt other innocent people then if you didnt consume either substance. They should both be banned and outlawed, the problem with the former is its pretty much grandfathered in since its so socially acceptable. While pot might even predate the use of alchohol it just never because a societal norm atleast in this country. Its never been legal therefore its hard to switch, same with alchohol except reversed, its always been legal and as we learned in the turn of the century very hard to make illegal.

Im an avid drinker, so that statemnt is kind of hippocritical but I would surrender my rights to consume alchohol in a second if it meant no more drunk driving accidents.

There is no benefit to legalizing pot.

#30 Kicksave Brodeur!!

Kicksave Brodeur!!

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:55 PM

Alchohol and Marijuana are both impairing agents and thus create situations where you are more likely to hurt other innocent people then if you didnt consume either substance. They should both be banned and outlawed, the problem with the former is its pretty much grandfathered in since its so socially acceptable. While pot might even predate the use of alchohol it just never because a societal norm atleast in this country. Its never been legal therefore its hard to switch, same with alchohol except reversed, its always been legal and as we learned in the turn of the century very hard to make illegal.

Im an avid drinker, so that statemnt is kind of hippocritical but I would surrender my rights to consume alchohol in a second if it meant no more drunk driving accidents.

There is no benefit to legalizing pot.

If there is one thing I learned in my life, up until now,it is that you never give up your rights to ANYTHING.

#31 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,850 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:56 PM

I don't care either way. Whatever makes people happy. I don't smoke either.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#32 Kicksave Brodeur!!

Kicksave Brodeur!!

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 12:07 AM

I don't care either way. Whatever makes people happy. I don't smoke either.

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

"Speak out so everyone knows how you think,and the knife makers will be out of business."
- Kicksave Brodeur!!

#33 Kicksave Brodeur!!

Kicksave Brodeur!!

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 12:14 AM

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

"Speak out so everyone knows how you think,and the knife makers will be out of business."
- Kicksave Brodeur!!

I guess thats why I've always liked guns :kill:

#34 Kicksave Brodeur!!

Kicksave Brodeur!!

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 12:19 AM

I guess thats why I've always liked guns :kill:

ahh crap.. I had too much to smoke tonight..sorry everybody.. :dizzy:

#35 annabelle

annabelle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 01:33 AM

I used to use it every day/night/evening/holidays..lol Whatever was pretty hardcore but don't anymore for various reasons. I don't see why it shouldn't be legalied..think of how mch the gov could make off of it if it were legal......maybe thats a reason for it not to be.

The fact is that it doesn't matter, legal or not people who smoke pot are going to do it regardless..
This post was brought to you by the letters, D, P & H

"I wasn't trying to be funny. If I was you would have noticed because you'd be laughing.."-C.G 04/14/07

"The winters of my childhood were long, long seasons. we lived in three places, the school, the church, and the skating rink. But our real life was on the skating rink" (from the back of the 5 Dollar bill, proof that Canada IS hockey country..)

Loyalty above all, Save honour

15 seconds left, your team is down a goal...Are YOU in the parking lot or still in the stands?

OFFICIAL MEMBER OF Team Awesome.ca...KEEPING MANITOBA AWESOME!!!!

"FLAMES FANS- the new generation of the 90's Leaf fans, naive and stupid with no actual hockey intelligence..(which is expected when 80% of your fanbase are bandwagoners who started watching April 2004)"- PureTalent#19

Keeper of the Sprite in Marty's water bottle
Posted Image

#36 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 02:07 AM

sorry for the long winded post

The problem with the prohibition of marijuana is that the gov't overstates its harm to the public. That said, the benefits are also overstated by the supporters of legalization. Like anything, it can be abused. Those of you have never smoked, or say it should still be illegal, I wonder why. Once you've used it, you see for yourself that its not that much different (in terms of impairment) than having 3 or 4 cocktails and if you dont like the effects, thats just you. Gateway drug is BS as well, I would say cigarettes and alcohol are more of a gateway to illegal intoxicants simply because of the abundance/legality of them and the fact kids are exposed to both at early ages. I didnt discover pot till I was in HS but I stole one of my grandmothers cigarettes at age 7 just to see what it was, and I was sometimes allowed a sip of beer from my dad at about that same age. A cigarette buzz does a lot to a psyche, especially if thats your first intoxicated moment.

I don't think legalization is the answer though. I think an across the board lifting of the prohibition would do more harm than good at the beginning, but decriminalization or at the very least a major lessening of penalties at the federal and most state levels is warranted, the federal penalties alone are so archaic it's not even funny. Imagine going to federal prison for a year because you had a pound of pot in your house? The same amount that first time assaults, and some sex crimes get. I can understand penalties for marijuana on some levels but most of the people doing time for it should never get as long as they sometimes do.

The positives to it being decriminalized (contrary to belief it is not "legal" in the Netherlands, its decriminalized, there are limits to possession amounts) are huge. The massive amounts of money spent by countless administrations on the so called "war on drugs" would be lessened as a major amount of that goes to fighting marijuana on both the FL, Mexican and Canadian borders. There would be less people put in jail amongst violent offenders for selling weed. The quality could be controlled and it would virtually eliminate the black market that exists in virtually every town in this country. Taxation alone would show an immediate spike in gov't surplus, especially considering that as of 2006, marijuana was the biggest cash crop in the US http://abcnews.go.co...=2735017&page=1 it's cheap to produce and with gov't oversight it can be controlled at virtually every level from THC level to pesticide usage. Hell, most of the best weed in the united states comes from the gov't themselves in places that allow medicinal use and the few pot dispensaries for those with prescriptions. The Alaska experiment has worked for a few years now, and although the population is much sparser up there (its decriminalized to have an ounce in possession but all sale is illegal), it still shows that Americans can handle it.

The negatives are there though, although there is a argument that alcohol, cigarettes and even some prescription drugs are far worse, its still something that can be abused and the culture surrounding it now promotes recreational use so it has to be treated as something that can potentially cause problems, however there are benefits to it especially when suffering from certain diseases/ailments like glaucoma or to counteract the side-effects of chemotherapy and radiation treatments. If alcohol and cigarettes and major narcotic prescriptions can be controlled, so can marijuana. Don't give me the kid argument either, when I was in HS it was easier to get a dimebag than it was to get a pack of cigarettes.

It's a shame that marijuana is so stigmatized in the US in terms of a law level. I implore all of you, especially those with a negative perception to watch "In Pot We Trust" which is a recent documentary that aired on Showtime, it has people from both sides of the argument speaking about the issue.

Edited by ghdi, 08 September 2007 - 02:12 AM.

#37 Eltab213

Eltab213

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 02:39 AM

Its never been legal therefore its hard to switch

Apparently, you didn't read the link I provided

I would surrender my rights to consume alchohol in a second if it meant no more drunk driving accidents.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." Thomas Jefferson

Edited by Eltab213, 08 September 2007 - 02:40 AM.

Posted Image

Official Keeper of Pascal Rheume
Official Keeper of Valeri Kamensky
Official Keeper of Alexander Korolyuk

#38 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:08 AM

Eh that Jefferson what they hell did he know. ;)

Edited by LizDevil30, 08 September 2007 - 09:08 AM.

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#39 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,279 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 10:00 AM

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." Thomas Jefferson

I dont consider the right to smoke pot or consume alchohol a freedom. I consider it a luxary that I would sacrifice to save the lives of my fellow man who I may or may never meet. You can quote old dead guys until you are blue in the face but if you think Mr. Jefferson wouldn't make the same statement I made before or any rationale caring person on the planet, then you are dillusional.

#40 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 10:05 AM

I dont consider the right to smoke pot or consume alchohol a freedom. I consider it a luxary that I would sacrifice to save the lives of my fellow man who I may or may never meet. You can quote old dead guys until you are blue in the face but if you think Mr. Jefferson wouldn't make the same statement I made before or any rationale caring person on the planet, then you are dillusional.

Yeah, well, that was tried once. Let's just say that it didn't go well. It went about as well as the "War on Drugs".
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users