Photo

Marijuana

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

Poll: pot. (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Which category do you fall under

1. No, I dont use it. Arrest the potheads. (13 votes [23.21%])

Percentage of vote: 23.21%

2. I don't use it but I think it should be decriminalized (31 votes [55.36%])

Percentage of vote: 55.36%

3. I smoke pot, but it should not be legalized. (2 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

4. I smoke pot and it should be legalized. (10 votes [17.86%])

Percentage of vote: 17.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 10:57 AM

I dont consider the right to smoke pot or consume alchohol a freedom. I consider it a luxary that I would sacrifice to save the lives of my fellow man who I may or may never meet. You can quote old dead guys until you are blue in the face but if you think Mr. Jefferson wouldn't make the same statement I made before or any rationale caring person on the planet, then you are dillusional.

The problem with this logic is that there's millions of people who wouldnt agree. They tried prohibition before and it led to one of the biggest crime waves in US history. Taking away a freedom is exponentially worse than giving one. Especially one that generations of Americans have had for decades. It would hurt every single bar owner, liquor store owner and convienience store owners.

I completely respect the sentiment but the ramifications from another era of alcohol prohibition would be ten times worse than the rise of Al Capone, prohibition does nothing but promote organized crime. Same with illegal drugs and foreign cartels and domestic drug runners.

Its never been legal therefore its hard to switch

In your lifetime, in my lifetime it's never been legal.

There was a time in this country when cocaine was even legal but it was abused. Marijuana prohibition started in the 30s because of idiots with agendas who demonized it for their own gains. The stigma surrounding it in this country is almost absurd.

http://en.wikipedia....e_United_States

Edited by ghdi, 08 September 2007 - 11:06 AM.

#42 Super 17

Super 17

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 11:02 AM

Posted Image

Edited by Super 17, 08 September 2007 - 11:05 AM.

Posted Image

#43 Kicksave Brodeur!!

Kicksave Brodeur!!

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 11:13 AM

The problem with this logic is that there's millions of people who wouldnt agree. They tried prohibition before and it led to one of the biggest crime waves in US history. Taking away a freedom is exponentially worse than giving one. Especially one that generations of Americans have had for decades. It would hurt every single bar owner, liquor store owner and convienience store owners.

I completely respect the sentiment but the ramifications from another era of alcohol prohibition would be ten times worse than the rise of Al Capone, prohibition does nothing but promote organized crime. Same with illegal drugs and foreign cartels and domestic drug runners.

In your lifetime, in my lifetime it's never been legal.

There was a time in this country when cocaine was even legal but it was abused. Marijuana prohibition started in the 30s because of idiots with agendas who demonized it for their own gains. The stigma surrounding it in this country is almost absurd.

http://en.wikipedia....e_United_States

Very well spoken, I agree completely.

#44 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 11:24 AM

From the Wikipedia article

In 1938, DuPont patented the processes for creating plastics from coal and oil and a new process for creating paper from wood pulp. If hemp would have been largely exploited and also become a comercial success, it would have likely been used to make paper and plastic, and may have hurt DuPont’s profits. Andrew Mellon of the Mellon Bank was DuPont's chief financial backer and was also the Secretary of Treasury under the Hoover administration.

Oi. Another example of the best government money can buy.

-=-=-=-=-=-

You will remember 3 years ago the Liberal government of Canada tried to decriminalize marijuana, but we were told by a certain country that they would stop each and every truck trying to cross the border and search it top to bottom looking for marijuana. The huge economic impact of stopping all transfer trucks crossing the border made the Liberals think twice and they delayed implementation. Then they were given a vote of non-confidence leaving the legislation in purgatory until after the election. Once the Conservatives won the election, Prime Minister Harper, who licks Bush's balls, threw out the legislation and said that Canada would crack down on marijuana use. But that crackdown hasn't come as police have far better things to do with their time - they only arrest people for huge grow-ops or if they are blatantly selling. As previously mentioned in this thread, there are caf

Edited by Don, 08 September 2007 - 07:07 PM.

"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#45 XxLancerHockeyPridexX

XxLancerHockeyPridexX

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 11:30 AM

I dont smoke, I've never smoke and I dont plan on smoking. I cant stand pot heads. They piss me off to no extent.

Dude17's picture pretty much says it all. Lmao. My friend Dan smokes quite a bit and his reactions and responses are so slow...its quite sad.

I dont know..do people like think they are cool or something when they smoke? Because they aren't. They look like a bunch of a$$holes and most teens only smoke because they think it will make them cool and .... frankly, it doesnt.

Ps. Crack is also whack.

Edited by XxLancerHockeyPridexX, 08 September 2007 - 11:33 AM.

Now you trust me, I carry that so tight
I'll be there for you, if your wrong or your right
It doesn't matter, just reach out to me
I will never question, any opportunity to show you
And prove to you that I care, always you share and you've always been there
Your my best friend, it's easy to see
No matter how bad things in life can be..
...You've always got me...
Joshua James(06/20/08)

#46 SteveStevens

SteveStevens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 12:24 PM

Yeah pot is very stupid and not anything i would ever use or try. Its gross because most of the time they are made in dirty places who want profit so they just move it out.

#47 LizDevil30

LizDevil30

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 12:57 PM

I dont smoke, I've never smoke and I dont plan on smoking. I cant stand pot heads. They piss me off to no extent.

Dude17's picture pretty much says it all. Lmao. My friend Dan smokes quite a bit and his reactions and responses are so slow...its quite sad.

I dont know..do people like think they are cool or something when they smoke? Because they aren't. They look like a bunch of a$$holes and most teens only smoke because they think it will make them cool and .... frankly, it doesnt.
Ps. Crack is also whack.

Talk about painting with a broad stroke. I know people that smoke pot too. They are responsible, respectable, considerate, just great people. I think the "pot heads" that piss you off to no extent would piss you off regardless of whether or not they smoked pot, drank alcohol or abstained from both.
"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."-New Jersey Devils Goaltender Martin Brodeur, of whom I am happy co-keeper with poohbear.
His lean, limber muscles tensed under the skin are ready to contort his body into unnatural goal stopping positions. Tara Sullivan, Bergen Record.
A person's a person, no matter how small. Horton the Elephant, "Horton Hears a Who"
NEW JERSEY home of the Devils, Giants, Jets, Red Bull, Nets and the Statue of Liberty--standing on our front porch waving to the neighbors.

#48 Eltab213

Eltab213

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 01:46 PM

Ps. Crack is also whack.

I used to be somewhat skeptical when it came to the actual effectivness of medical marijuana. About a month ago i was walking through the library and noticed a book about the medical uses of marijuana sitting among the new books collection, thought it looked interesting and decided to inform myself about it, I was quite surprised. Mind you this was a book written by a medical doctor and not a "pot head" which you "can't stand".

The author studied a compelling set of scientific tests which concluded that Marijuana was the best possible medicine for a number of serious medical conditions.

Multiple Sclerosis. In most cases, Marijuana was the best known medicine to combat muscle spasms, tremors, muscle pain, bladder function, and the restlessness associated with Multiple Sclerosis.

Glaucoma. The THC in Marijuana "could safely and effectively lower intraocular pressure more than a variety of drugs then on the market." http://en.wikipedia....ucoma#Treatment Basically Glaucoma is a disease in which your eye slowly asserts pressure to you're retina until you are completly blind. Although Marijuana doesnt cure Glaucoma, it does, however, drastically slow the process.

Nausa from Chemotherahpy. In many chemotherapy cases, Marijuana effectivly reduced the nausious effects (vomiting, disyness) of chemotherapy, and drastically increased the appetite among patients who lost serious amounts of weight as a result of the "loss of appetite" side effect of Chemotherapy.

HIV, or AIDs wasting. Marijuana has been proven to be a cheap, and effective medicine for the symptoms of AIDs wasting. Many patients, who have never been "pot heads" and who prefer the soothing effects of Marijuana to reduce nausua, vomiting, loss of appetite associated with AIDs wasting, have been arrested and sentenced to jail for buying/growing their own, rather than spend massive amounts of money, for alternative medicines.

Those are just the uses of medical marijuana I can remember from the book. There are others.

So, Lancer. Do you think those people are just "trying to be cool" and "look like abunch of a$$holes" becuase they smoke marijuana ?

Edited by Eltab213, 08 September 2007 - 01:50 PM.

Posted Image

Official Keeper of Pascal Rheume
Official Keeper of Valeri Kamensky
Official Keeper of Alexander Korolyuk

#49 Eltab213

Eltab213

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 02:04 PM

I dont consider the right to smoke pot or consume alchohol a freedom. I consider it a luxary that I would sacrifice to save the lives of my fellow man who I may or may never meet. You can quote old dead guys until you are blue in the face but if you think Mr. Jefferson wouldn't make the same statement I made before or any rationale caring person on the planet, then you are dillusional.

Driving is considered to be a luxury and not a "freedom", should we sacrifice that because it could "save the lives of my fellow man who I may or may never meet" ?

My point is, you should never surrender a freedom or "luxury" as you call it, because it *could* save lives. Would you surrender your privacy rights, if it prevented terrorist attacks, or your second amendment right, so that no one would die from firearms?
Posted Image

Official Keeper of Pascal Rheume
Official Keeper of Valeri Kamensky
Official Keeper of Alexander Korolyuk

#50 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 02:05 PM

Ps. Crack is also whack.

how do you feel about people who drink or smoke cigarettes?

I'm fine with people not wanting to smoke or not liking it or what not, but the absolute cluelessness and stererotyping of this post is absurd. Not everyone who fires up a joint occasionally is a blithering idiot or stinky hippie with no aim in life. There's a big difference between a stoner and a occasional user or even someone who smokes a joint after work every day, same as theres a difference between an alcoholic and someone who goes to the bar once or twice a week or has a drink every night after work.

The point is, marijuana ABUSE is bad, same as alcohol abuse, painkiller abuse, etc is bad. There's a difference between abuse and use. Hell, you can abuse McDonalds and Id say a Big Mac a day is a lot worse in the long run than a joint a day.

Edited by ghdi, 08 September 2007 - 02:12 PM.

#51 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • 21,583 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 02:11 PM

Ps. Crack is also whack.

Wow, that's pretty messed up if you ask me. Could you possibly throw a bigger stereotype into the mix?

To be honest, most people don't smoke because it "makes them look cool," they do it because they like the way it makes them FEEL, they enjoy mellowing out after a stressful day, or they might even do it to try to cut back on some of the pain they're experiencing.

So a person who is suffering from extreme pain (maybe from cancer, maybe from something like RSD) is an a$$hole because they are trying to actually get through the day? Lame.

Open your eyes a bit, bud. If you think smoking pot is bad, that's fine, but don't call those who do a$$holes just because it's not your cup of tea.

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#52 XxLancerHockeyPridexX

XxLancerHockeyPridexX

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 02:13 PM

Talk about painting with a broad stroke. I know people that smoke pot too. They are responsible, respectable, considerate, just great people. I think the "pot heads" that piss you off to no extent would piss you off regardless of whether or not they smoked pot, drank alcohol or abstained from both.

Well I think it more depends on if they are already asses or not.

I used to be somewhat skeptical when it came to the actual effectivness of medical marijuana. About a month ago i was walking through the library and noticed a book about the medical uses of marijuana sitting among the new books collection, thought it looked interesting and decided to inform myself about it, I was quite surprised. Mind you this was a book written by a medical doctor and not a "pot head" which you "can't stand".

The author studied a compelling set of scientific tests which concluded that Marijuana was the best possible medicine for a number of serious medical conditions.

Multiple Sclerosis. In most cases, Marijuana was the best known medicine to combat muscle spasms, tremors, muscle pain, bladder function, and the restlessness associated with Multiple Sclerosis.

Glaucoma. The THC in Marijuana "could safely and effectively lower intraocular pressure more than a variety of drugs then on the market." http://en.wikipedia....ucoma#Treatment Basically Glaucoma is a disease in which your eye slowly asserts pressure to you're retina until you are completly blind. Although Marijuana doesnt cure Glaucoma, it does, however, drastically slow the process.

Nausa from Chemotherahpy. In many chemotherapy cases, Marijuana effectivly reduced the nausious effects (vomiting, disyness) of chemotherapy, and drastically increased the appetite among patients who lost serious amounts of weight as a result of the "loss of appetite" side effect of Chemotherapy.

HIV, or AIDs wasting. Marijuana has been proven to be a cheap, and effective medicine for the symptoms of AIDs wasting. Many patients, who have never been "pot heads" and who prefer the soothing effects of Marijuana to reduce nausua, vomiting, loss of appetite associated with AIDs wasting, have been arrested and sentenced to jail for buying/growing their own, rather than spend massive amounts of money, for alternative medicines.

Those are just the uses of medical marijuana I can remember from the book. There are others.

So, Lancer. Do you think those people are just "trying to be cool" and "look like abunch of a$$holes" becuase they smoke marijuana ?

Medicinal purposes are different. If you're just smoking it for no apparent reason then you're a loser in my eyes. Sorry.

Wow, that's pretty messed up if you ask me. Could you possibly throw a bigger stereotype into the mix?

To be honest, most people don't smoke because it "makes them look cool," they do it because they like the way it makes them FEEL, they enjoy mellowing out after a stressful day, or they might even do it to try to cut back on some of the pain they're experiencing.

So a person who is suffering from extreme pain (maybe from cancer, maybe from something like RSD) is an a$$hole because they are trying to actually get through the day? Lame.

Open your eyes a bit, bud. If you think smoking pot is bad, that's fine, but don't call those who do a$$holes just because it's not your cup of tea.

Like I just stated medicinal purposes are different. And theres other ways to make you "feel" good after a stressful day...trust me. Also the comment you made about someone smoking to relieve some pain they are experiencing...if its emotional pain then smoking pot isnt going to actually stop that pain...because once you come out of that "trance" the problem STILL persists(depending on the problem and if youve solved it or not.)

Edited by XxLancerHockeyPridexX, 08 September 2007 - 02:15 PM.

Joshua James(06/20/08)

#53 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,686 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 02:13 PM

for once I can almost sorta agree with Lancer there.. ever try to go into a club or bar before the smoking ban... and now how they all hover in front of the front door?? It's a semi-universal arrogance in all smokers that it's their birthright to mess up everyone ELSE'S air by blowing that crap all over the place.... while yes you DO have the right to smoke and Farooq your OWN body... but you don't have the right to mess up the people around you...

so basically ... you don't have the right to exhale :P
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#54 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 02:14 PM

Well I think it more depends on if they are already asses or not.
Medicinal purposes are different. If you're just smoking it for no apparent reason then you're a loser in my eyes. Sorry.

You're a moron. I'm sorry but that's the way I feel.

They DO have a reason to smoke it, they like the way its makes them feel. Abuse and use are different.

Do you feel the same way about people who like to get drunk occasionally?

for once I can almost sorta agree with Lancer there.. ever try to go into a club or bar before the smoking ban... and now how they all hover in front of the front door?? It's a semi-universal arrogance in all smokers that it's their birthright to mess up everyone ELSE'S air by blowing that crap all over the place.... while yes you DO have the right to smoke and Farooq your OWN body... but you don't have the right to mess up the people around you...

so basically ... you don't have the right to exhale :P

You're talking about cigarettes. No one here is calling for marijuana use to be allowed in public places.

#55 XxLancerHockeyPridexX

XxLancerHockeyPridexX

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 02:16 PM

how do you feel about people who drink or smoke cigarettes?

I'm fine with people not wanting to smoke or not liking it or what not, but the absolute cluelessness and stererotyping of this post is absurd. Not everyone who fires up a joint occasionally is a blithering idiot or stinky hippie with no aim in life. There's a big difference between a stoner and a occasional user or even someone who smokes a joint after work every day, same as theres a difference between an alcoholic and someone who goes to the bar once or twice a week or has a drink every night after work.

The point is, marijuana ABUSE is bad, same as alcohol abuse, painkiller abuse, etc is bad. There's a difference between abuse and use. Hell, you can abuse McDonalds and Id say a Big Mac a day is a lot worse in the long run than a joint a day.

Well my mom and sister smoke cigs and I drink so... I dont really care. I dont abuse alcohol...I dont drink it all the time. To me marijuana is just...stupid. Sorry but it is.

Edited by XxLancerHockeyPridexX, 08 September 2007 - 02:19 PM.

Joshua James(06/20/08)

#56 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 02:17 PM

And theres other ways to make you "feel" good after a stressful day...trust me..)

Coming from someone who claims to never have smoked, this is another ignorant and myopic statement. Different strokes for different folks. People like the feeling of getting high over other things, and if they're doing it in ways that harms no one else and they're able to function and be contributing members to society, whats the harm?

Again, there's a major difference between use and abuse.

#57 XxLancerHockeyPridexX

XxLancerHockeyPridexX

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

You're a moron. I'm sorry but that's the way I feel.

They DO have a reason to smoke it, they like the way its makes them feel. Abuse and use are different.

Do you feel the same way about people who like to get drunk occasionally?
You're talking about cigarettes. No one here is calling for marijuana use to be allowed in public places.

I'm a moron because I dont like drugs? Oh wow thats a low blow. Get over yourself, seriously. And they don't always have a reason to smoke it. Medicinal purposes, whatever. Abusing it, you're a fvcking moron. Using it, have fun killing your brain cells because you "feel" good doing it.
Joshua James(06/20/08)

#58 Kicksave Brodeur!!

Kicksave Brodeur!!

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Driving is considered to be a luxury and not a "freedom", should we sacrifice that because it could "save the lives of my fellow man who I may or may never meet" ?

My point is, you should never surrender a freedom or "luxury" as you call it, because it *could* save lives. Would you surrender your privacy rights, if it prevented terrorist attacks, or your second amendment right, so that no one would die from firearms?

[attachment=1122:images.jpg] look what your trying to open :rolleyes:

Edited by Kicksave Brodeur!!, 08 September 2007 - 02:18 PM.

#59 XxLancerHockeyPridexX

XxLancerHockeyPridexX

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 02:18 PM

Coming from someone who claims to never have smoked, this is another ignorant and myopic statement. Different strokes for different folks. People like the feeling of getting high over other things, and if they're doing it in ways that harms no one else and they're able to function and be contributing members to society, whats the harm?

Again, there's a major difference between use and abuse.

Coming from someone who doesn't smoke? Yeah...your fvckin point? My sisters boyfriend does drugs and I've seen whats it done to people.. so I dont agree with it.

Edited by XxLancerHockeyPridexX, 08 September 2007 - 02:19 PM.

Joshua James(06/20/08)

#60 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 02:18 PM

Well my mom and sister smoke cigs and I drink so... I dont really care. I dont abuse alcohol...I dont drink it all the time. To be marijuana is just...stupid. Sorry but it is.

So why do you drink? Do you like being drunk or getting the buzz?

Its the same reason why people like to smoke marijuana. And since you've never smoked, you wouldnt know how it feels. You're buying into the stigma that this country has attached to it with no first hand knowledge other than being around a couple of stoners.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users