Photo

Marijuana

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

Poll: pot. (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Which category do you fall under

1. No, I dont use it. Arrest the potheads. (13 votes [23.21%])

Percentage of vote: 23.21%

2. I don't use it but I think it should be decriminalized (31 votes [55.36%])

Percentage of vote: 55.36%

3. I smoke pot, but it should not be legalized. (2 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

4. I smoke pot and it should be legalized. (10 votes [17.86%])

Percentage of vote: 17.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TrentonDevils

TrentonDevils

Senior Devil

• Suspended
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 01:42 PM

What does everyone think about weed?
"If you don't think drugs have done good things for us, then take all of your records, tapes and CD's and burn them" - Bill Hicks
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out."
-Bill Hicks

"Facts are stupid things" - President Ronald Reagan

Posted Image

#2 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,056 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 02:53 PM

I used to smoke every day- I was what you would definately call a pothead. I quit as an every day smoker a couple of years ago, but I will still toke up from time to time with my friends if it's offered. It should absolutely be legal. I've argued for years that if alcohol and cigarettes (which I also smoke) can be legal, than I have no idea why pot can't be. Alcohol is is 20 times more harmful than weed. Cigarettes are probaly 50 times more harmful. Just look at the statistics. How many people die cigarette and alcohol related deaths every year? How many people do you know ever died because they smoked too much weed? 'Nuff said.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#3 Vinnie

Vinnie

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 02:54 PM

There's no good reason it should be illegal.

#4 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,056 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:11 PM

I've heard it's de-criminalized in Vancouver Vinnie. You guys have weed bars in town too from what I've heard. True?

#5 NJDevsFireOnIce

NJDevsFireOnIce

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:11 PM

i used to smoke it alot, stopped and now every once in awhile i dabble in it..but there is no reason why it should be illegal...but then again there really isnt a reason why it should be legal ...sigh i dont know. :noclue:

Edited by NJDevsFireOnIce, 07 September 2007 - 03:12 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Lazy

#6 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,477 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:15 PM

i used to smoke it alot, stopped and now every once in awhile i dabble in it..but there is no reason why it should be illegal...but then again there really isnt a reason why it should be legal ...sigh i dont know. :noclue:

The argument it should be legal would be that you should have a right to do anything you want as long as there isn't a reason why it's harmful to others(thus being illegal), IMO.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#7 SteveStevens

SteveStevens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:15 PM

I dont and never have or will smoke. It dosent effect me when others use it so it dosent matter if someone dose to me.

#8 UnderDogX

UnderDogX

Graphics Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:20 PM

I've never used it...never will either, but what anyone else does is fine by me as long as it doesn't affect me. As far as it being legal...more good would come out of it being cultivated and harvested by legitimate US farmers and then sold much like cigarettes which are insanely taxed than harm in my opinion..
'05-'06 Hobey Baker Award Winner (Best Rookie Poster)

*click click* *whistle whistle* "Its my thing, my trademark...its what I do."

#9 TrentonDevils

TrentonDevils

Senior Devil

• Suspended
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:21 PM

The argument it should be legal would be that you should have a right to do anything you want as long as there isn't a reason why it's harmful to others(thus being illegal), IMO.

.......what?
"If you don't think drugs have done good things for us, then take all of your records, tapes and CD's and burn them" - Bill Hicks
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out."
-Bill Hicks

Posted Image

#10 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,477 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:23 PM

.......what?

Ya, it's in plain English, I don't know if I can really help you understand it any more than it's written. It was in response to the post above it saying there was no reason for it to be illegal but also no reason for it to be legal so I was explaining that anything without a reason to be illegal should be legal. That there doesn't need to be a reason for something to be legal, it only needs a lack of reason to be illegal.

Edited by Devils731, 07 September 2007 - 03:27 PM.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#11 TrentonDevils

TrentonDevils

Senior Devil

• Suspended
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:29 PM

Ya, it's in plain English, I don't know if I can really help you understand it any more than it's written. It was in response to the post above it saying there was no reason for it to be illegal but also no reason for it to be legal so I was explaining that anything without a reason to be illegal should be legal. That there doesn't need to be a reason for something to be legal, it only needs a lack of reason to be illegal.

Do you write our presidents speeches?
-Bill Hicks

Posted Image

#12 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,477 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:44 PM

It's very easy to get so I don't know why you can't, I doubt others are having trouble.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#13 TrentonDevils

TrentonDevils

Senior Devil

• Suspended
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:50 PM

It's very easy to get so I don't know why you can't, I doubt others are having trouble.

Im busting your balls, I know what you were saying, its just you said it in a kind of awkward, roundabout sort of a way

You couldve said something like, "The argument for it being legal should be based on whether or not its harmful to others." whatever. Its also 5 on a friday and im in golf mode already.

Edited by TrentonDevils, 07 September 2007 - 03:51 PM.

-Bill Hicks

Posted Image

#14 Eltab213

Eltab213

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:52 PM

http://www.druglibra...ory/whiteb1.htm

Explains why marijuana is illegal. If you read the article, the reason's for the illegalization of marijuana are incredibly stupid. It also gives you insight into just how incompotent/rediculous our system of government can be.

As others have said in this thread, pot is much less harmful than cigerettes (pot will only cuase lung cancer if you smoke it, it wont, however, if you eat it) and alcohol, hell its even less harmful than Mc-Donalds cheesburgers.

Aside from the erroneous "harmful" effects arguement , most people will also use the "if pots legal, people will be stoned all the time and unproductive" arguement. Which doesnt make sense either. Is it the case that everyone goes to work smashed from drinking 2 bottles of whisky everyday, since the legalization of alcohol? No
Posted Image

Official Keeper of Pascal Rheume
Official Keeper of Valeri Kamensky
Official Keeper of Alexander Korolyuk

#15 TrentonDevils

TrentonDevils

Senior Devil

• Suspended
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:55 PM

Explains why marijuana is illegal. If you read the article, the reason's for the illegalization of marijuana are incredibly stupid. It also gives you insight into just how incompotent/rediculous our system of government can be.

As others have said in this thread, pot is much less harmful than cigerettes (pot will only cuase lung cancer if you smoke it, it wont, however, if you eat it) and alcohol, hell its even less harmful than Mc-Donalds cheesburgers.

Aside from the erroneous "harmful" effects arguement , most people will also use the "if pots legal, people will be stoned all the time and unproductive" arguement. Which doesnt make sense either. Is it the case that everyone goes to work smashed from drinking 2 bottles of whisky everyday, since the legalization of alcohol? No

good post.

I think the real reason its illegal is because there really is no way for the government to tax or regulate it because its so easy to grow. And you can grow enough for personal use on your deck or in your back yard very easily. Youre not gonna grow an entire crop of tobacco, and pot is one of the easiest plants to grow.

Ha. after reading my own post, I realized I may have forgotten to mention...
its really easy to grow

Edited by TrentonDevils, 07 September 2007 - 03:56 PM.

-Bill Hicks

Posted Image

#16 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,056 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:58 PM

Right on. And pot, while making people tired and lethargic, can also have the opposite effect sometimes. In college, I wrote one of the best papers of my life stoned out of my mind. It got an A.

#17 Eltab213

Eltab213

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 04:20 PM

good post.

I think the real reason its illegal is because there really is no way for the government to tax or regulate it because its so easy to grow. And you can grow enough for personal use on your deck or in your back yard very easily. Youre not gonna grow an entire crop of tobacco, and pot is one of the easiest plants to grow.

Ha. after reading my own post, I realized I may have forgotten to mention...
its really easy to grow

People would still go to the store and buy it, assuming it wasn't taxed to hell.
Posted Image

Official Keeper of Pascal Rheume
Official Keeper of Valeri Kamensky
Official Keeper of Alexander Korolyuk

#18 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 04:51 PM

I used to smoke pot almost every day for a couple years, stopped, and then started a few years back after a friend recommended I try it for pain. I don't use it anymore and haven't for nearly two years, but I do like the idea of medicinal marijuana. Having it legalized outright? I dunno. I could go either way, I suppose.

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#19 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 04:58 PM

Hrm. That's exactly the definition of "freedom" that we used in my Grade 12 English class.

The argument thrown back was that:
(a) marijuana users hurt more then themselves via DUI
(b) it's a gateway drug leading to harder drugs which people kill for

I can understand that point of view. It has some logical basis. But what I can't wrap my head around is those that say alcohol should be legal but marijuana not. And certainly not cigarettes given the links of second hand smoke to emphysema (thus harmful to others). Really, I think the argument that all three should be legal is the easiest to make and the argument that all three should be illegal the second easiest case to make. Anything in between would be difficult to argue.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Freedom is the right to do anything you want so long as it does no harm to others" is still a fuzzy definition. It could be argued that wealthy men are able to support a cocaine habit without doing harm to others. Should cocaine be legal? And here we have 101 safety laws (ie bike helmets, seatbelts) on the basis that if someone harms themselves, we all pay for it in the long run given socialized medicine.

People would still go to the store and buy it, assuming it wasn't taxed to hell.

Agreed.

Radishes are very easy to grow. Their very name MEANS easily grown. Yet I buy mine at the grocery store.
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#20 brodeurrocks

brodeurrocks

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 05:03 PM

Never used it. I say legalize it as all it does is tie up an already over burdened justice system.

Posted Image

Official Keeper of David Clarkson's Open Ice Hits!

Official Keeper of the stains on Chico's shirt and tie from "Chico Eats" episodes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users