295 replies to this topic

#21 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:12 PM

Things are going alright for me. Just started my third year at Rutgers last week. I'm taking 15 credits which is the most I've ever had, guess I'm not in any sort of rush to graduate. It kinda sucks though because almost all of my classes are a 20 minute bus ride away from my dorm and sometimes I have to wait even longer than that just for it to get to the bus stop. Kind of a pain in the ass but not the worst thing in the world I guess. My roommate never showed up so I have the room to myself for now, which is pretty boring but better than last year since my roommate was the most boring guy in the world. At least now I have the whole room to myself.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#22 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,624 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:14 PM

I'm going to try to get up by 9, go to the gym, shower, and come home and put on real clothes.

And who knows, you might actually meet some people at the gym. :)
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#23 brodeurrocks

brodeurrocks

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:19 PM

Eh I'm still applying for jobs in Public Relations/Communications/Publicity etc and have not heard from anyone yet.... and I have to start paying back my loans in October---which is rapidly approaching. I am probably going to go get a job at a temp agency (that offers medical benefits because those go away in Dec.) or get a job at Starbucks. I'm beginning to wonder if I should just go back to school to become a teacher. I think I would like to d that. Truthfully, I don't know what I really want to do. I like PR, but am I going to like it when I have to make it my lifelong career? Honestly the problem with me is that the idea of being in a career--in a job--and working for the rest of my life is scary. That and I truly have no idea what my "passion" is anymore. When people ask, "If money didn't matter what would you want to do?" I have no answer. I have no idea. Also, on a shallow note I've gained 8-10lbs since graduation and only two pairs of jeans fit --I refuse to go buy more clothes until I lose weight. Hah.

Besides that, I've been in a rut where I sleep until noon, watch TV, sometimes go to the gym, and send out resumes in my sweatpants for the rest of the day. It's super depressing. I'm going to try to get up by 9, go to the gym, shower, and come home and put on real clothes.

I don't go out on the weekends because two of my good friends from home moved away to Boston & Ann Arbor. The rest of my "friends" from HS have stopped talking to me. (Ever since the "I'll pay you to drink incident" --I started a thread where I vented about that on here actually) So yeah my weekends are filled with watching TV/going out to dinner with my parents. The other friend that I talk to here has been hanging out with the group that is no longer including me so therefore I don't get to see her. I don't get to go out and have fun--I don't meet any new people... blah. I've gone from college where I was always around people. I lived with my friends. There was always something to do even if it wasn't particularly fun. I felt like I had a purpose. I even liked learning/being in class---well most of them. Life just sucks at the moment and what makes it worse that I don't even know if getting a job will make it better. I have been really down lately and have cried at the littlest thing. I'm just not in a good place right now I guess. It's scaring me a little to be frank.

thefiestygoat has a good point. Put some time aside to find or get re-involved with a past hobby. It will occupy some time and you should be able to meet some other people with similiar interests.

Edited by brodeurrocks, 11 September 2007 - 11:21 PM.

Posted Image

Official Keeper of David Clarkson's Open Ice Hits!

Official Keeper of the stains on Chico's shirt and tie from "Chico Eats" episodes!

#24 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:28 PM

Or like a 12 pack of doughnuts with jelly filling.......it looked like blueberry but your pissed to find out it's actually grape.....we've all done it.....right? :unsure:

That actually happened to me this afternoon.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#25 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:36 PM

Eh I'm still applying for jobs in Public Relations/Communications/Publicity etc and have not heard from anyone yet.... and I have to start paying back my loans in October---which is rapidly approaching. I am probably going to go get a job at a temp agency (that offers medical benefits because those go away in Dec.) or get a job at Starbucks. I'm beginning to wonder if I should just go back to school to become a teacher. I think I would like to d that. Truthfully, I don't know what I really want to do. I like PR, but am I going to like it when I have to make it my lifelong career? Honestly the problem with me is that the idea of being in a career--in a job--and working for the rest of my life is scary.

If you're worried about PR being an unenjoyable career in the future, but you think you wouldn't mind it now, I would recommend sticking with it for a while now, and then if you start to dislike it, then go back to school to become a teacher. This way you can at least get a taste of it before you decide against it. Plus you can use the money you make from your salary to start paying back your loans. I'm no expert at this and I haven't gotten to that point yet since I'm still in school, but as I was reading your post, this idea just kinda popped into my head.

That and I truly have no idea what my "passion" is anymore. When people ask, "If money didn't matter what would you want to do?" I have no answer. I have no idea.

Eh that's not a big deal. Money does matter, so that is just a hypothetical question...so who cares if you don't have an answer? I have no idea what I would do either.
--John Buccigross

#26 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,584 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:37 PM

thefiestygoat has a good point. Put some time aside to find or get re-involved with a past hobby. It will occupy some time and you should be able to meet some other people with similiar interests.

I like that idea too. I stopped writing for a while after I switched majors (also out of frustration because I had a decent amount of time and credits to make up because of the change), and I really think the best thing to happen to me in a long time was 2MA. It's almost made me want to go back to journalism, but I'm having such a blast having the best of both worlds, so why ruin a good thing?

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#27 Devilish34

Devilish34

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,324 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:52 AM

Is that a cat shark?

Would that be a Cark or a Chark??

86 the Kool Ade -- we need some fvcking icewater for these pussies

Posted ImageRIP Bill 1931-2007
RIP Major/Dr. John Paul Pryor killed in Iraq on 12/25/08. You will be greatly missed and can never be replaced.
What Happened To Dr Pryor?

You might be a Redneck if you brag about running a 11.57@118.14Posted Image

#28 NJDevsFireOnIce

NJDevsFireOnIce

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:15 AM

I'm doing swell. Working the nice ol' 8-430 shift in my dads office, going home and doing nothing but lying around the house and napping before I go to bed. Thats the life! sighon the + side, I am getting a new car in december (either an escape or a Jaguar x-type 3.0...i dont know what that means but thats what me and my pops were looking into getting) im going to Opie and Anthonys traveling virus this saturday at the tweeter center and the Devils game on monday. holla. But in all seriousness (I dont know if i spelled that right, or if thats a real word) I'm pretty okay. Thanks for asking!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Lazy

#29 moustic

moustic

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:54 AM

i'm half-happy, half-frightened to death !

I'm going this weekend to Egypt !!!
(that's the happy side)
with a plane
(that's the scary part)

A travel throught the NIL... The love boat for me & Miss Stic
But damn i'm scared ! I hate plane ! (and maybe a little scare to of terrorism) (but I've to live with this fear ! and keep doing stuff I wanna do)

So... to be on-topic
I don't know very well how I feel now...

#30 Belizarius

Belizarius

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:00 AM

I'm fine... just found a nice girlfried :)
Hockey season starts...
A lot of promising books waiting for a read...

On the other side, I like my job. Really. But... I want a change, soon! So poor management here... Everybody here dislikes the chiefs, who are not very competent. Bad decisions one after another, not a cool management and just... letting the things go that way, without any change. When they are here of course (and it's less and less often).
Tired of working for people who just don't show at work... but say you're not working enough :(
Diable Noir

Posted Image

#31 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:12 PM

Hockey season starts...
A lot of promising books waiting for a read...

On the other side, I like my job. Really. But... I want a change, soon! So poor management here... Everybody here dislikes the chiefs, who are not very competent. Bad decisions one after another, not a cool management and just... letting the things go that way, without any change. When they are here of course (and it's less and less often).
Tired of working for people who just don't show at work... but say you're not working enough :(

Congratulations on the girlfriend man, good luck! By the way, are you going to be updating your prospect stat site this year? I always loved going there to check up on all the prospects around the world.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#32 LA03

LA03

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:46 PM

Thanks for the advice and input guys--as always I appreciate probably more than you know. Seriously I have found myself TALKING to myself around the house sometimes--like a crazy person. I'm even excited to see my parents when they come home from work...that is until they start trying to be helpful with job advice.

First step, to get yourself out of your rut, try to get on a different schedule: Get up at 730am, shower, dress good, it will make you feel better...eat good etc...get yourself in a positive frame of mind. If you cannot do that, how can you be completely confident and positive for an interview? So take care of #1 first and foremost...

As for finding a job, believe me, that 1st job out of college is not easy...heck, I got into the IT field, which I did NOT go to school for....advice: Think outside the box...and hey, if you have to work for a place like Starbucks for awhile, there are worse things, you would probably get benefits I imagine and you will have income coming in and that is a start.

I haven't gotten up at 7:30 in about three weeks since my temporary summer job ended and I don't know if I can do that now since I know that I don't really have to be anywhere. (I'm not a morning person.) So I guess I'll shoot for no later than 9:00am. I really should get into a habit of getting up earlier in case I do get a job so that it's not such a shock to make that transition again.

Working at Starbucks I know won't be really bad. I am not looking down at that job by any means. And who knows it might be fun. I know I shouldn't care what other people think, but when I tell people (my parent's friends, other people who have recently graduated that have jobs) that I still don't have a job----it's almost embarrassing.

I'm doing well. I work in a hospital. When I am bummed I have a quick fix. I simply go for a short walk and view a few things.....1) A quick walk through the Oncolgy ward reminds me of just how lucky I am. 2) As keeper of the morgue, I have a constant reminder of the fact that we all end up there someday.

All of a sudden life and it's associated ups and downs (struggles to pay bills, girlfriend troubles) don't seem to be a big deal.

When things get to be too much.....have a big cold glass of :koolaid: !

Wow yeah, working in a hospital must really put things into perspective---wow yeah I sound like such a whiny brat... I should really start to be thankful for the things I do have (at least I have a roof over my head for example) than what I don't...

I've personally gone through the friend transition phase of my life twice already... it does really really suck I can agree on that... but once you do start finding new friends (even if they are from starbucks B ) ).. you'll find these friends may be more real and have much more substance then the party crowd you knew in college, and you won't even miss them... honest!!

and something I learned tonight from this guy I may be doing some work with.. FOLLOW UP on your resumes... he told me tonight he didn't get back to ANY who sent a resume unless they followed up... "I don't wanna hire anyone who doesn't want to be here bad enough to ask twice".. so keep that in mind :)

I don't understand why things all of a sudden went sour between my friend Stefanie and I. I expected her to give me a call after the incident with the trying to make me drink at that party. But after she got back from vacation she didn't call me---and she hasn't called me since. It's not like I didn't keep in touch with her during the years I was in school. We kept in touch through IM, email, and phone. I saw her when I was home. She even came up to visit. I didn't think there was any resentment there. It just really hurts my feelings because I thought we were better friends... but obviously she really just doesn't care that we're not speaking anymore? And for what? Is she really that pissed that I turned down her $20 and wouldn't get drunk that night?

I am pretty optimistic in the fact that I will stay in touch with my college friends. There are a lot of us in our little group---and there are definitely little sub-groups that exist, but I think we will all stay in contact even if it's just through facebook messages and email. It's hard to get ALL of us together, but I think we will at least once a year. It's a unique bond I have with some people at school and I miss all of them very much. But who knows? I thought Stef and I had a pretty solid friendship.

I hate hate hate following up on resumes. People either say to you, "We said no phone calls. Thanks." or they say, "We are in the process of reviewing all resumes we will contact you if we are interested. Thanks." Blah blah blah. It's so awkward, but you are right... I could call a person who actually finds it impressive that I thought to follow up.

It really sucks about your friends but look at it as the opportunity to meet new people. I know its easier said than done but try not to stress too much. I think the best way for you to meet some new people is either to go back to school or to get a job. Once you are surrounded by people you should be fine. Also, try to use a hobby as a way to deal with stuff. I grew up playing drums, learned guitar in high school and now I am learning bass. Music is the best way for me to release negative energy and make it a positive. You just have to find a way to take negatives and make them positives.
Good luck!

Thanks...

I would love to go back to school (so I don't have to search for a job haha and have something to do..) but unless I decide to pursue a totally different career path there is really no need for me to do that at the present time. (Plus I am already way in debt.) At my last job I didn't meet any new people because they were all older middle-aged woman who were friendly enough, but I really didn't have much in common with them. I hope my next part-time job (which I should get soon to get some money) has some people I can relate to more. I also hope that when I eventually find a "real job" that there are some people I have things in common with there. That would be awful.

The hobby idea IS really good. I honestly don't know what the hell I could do as a hobby. I don't think I've ever had a hobby... ever. How boring is that? Haha

And who knows, you might actually meet some people at the gym. :)

I wish that was a possibility.. however when I go to the gym there are like 4 people there. And it's women only gym and there are always really older women there when I'm there. Not to put them down or anything, but I really don't think they have any interest in becoming friends with me.

If you're worried about PR being an unenjoyable career in the future, but you think you wouldn't mind it now, I would recommend sticking with it for a while now, and then if you start to dislike it, then go back to school to become a teacher. This way you can at least get a taste of it before you decide against it. Plus you can use the money you make from your salary to start paying back your loans. I'm no expert at this and I haven't gotten to that point yet since I'm still in school, but as I was reading your post, this idea just kinda popped into my head.

I know that's a good idea.. to stick with it and after I get involved with it make that decision. I guess I'm just stressed out about not having a job----I just want to be doing SOMETHING already. I feel like such a waste.

Congrats on the new gf! :)

#33 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:54 PM

Working at Starbucks I know won't be really bad. I am not looking down at that job by any means. And who knows it might be fun. I know I shouldn't care what other people think, but when I tell people (my parent's friends, other people who have recently graduated that have jobs) that I still don't have a job----it's almost embarrassing.

I don't understand why things all of a sudden went sour between my friend Stefanie and I. I expected her to give me a call after the incident with the trying to make me drink at that party. But after she got back from vacation she didn't call me---and she hasn't called me since. It's not like I didn't keep in touch with her during the years I was in school. We kept in touch through IM, email, and phone. I saw her when I was home. She even came up to visit. I didn't think there was any resentment there. It just really hurts my feelings because I thought we were better friends... but obviously she really just doesn't care that we're not speaking anymore? And for what? Is she really that pissed that I turned down her $20 and wouldn't get drunk that night?

I am pretty optimistic in the fact that I will stay in touch with my college friends. There are a lot of us in our little group---and there are definitely little sub-groups that exist, but I think we will all stay in contact even if it's just through facebook messages and email. It's hard to get ALL of us together, but I think we will at least once a year. It's a unique bond I have with some people at school and I miss all of them very much. But who knows? I thought Stef and I had a pretty solid friendship.

I hate hate hate following up on resumes. People either say to you, "We said no phone calls. Thanks." or they say, "We are in the process of reviewing all resumes we will contact you if we are interested. Thanks." Blah blah blah. It's so awkward, but you are right... I could call a person who actually finds it impressive that I thought to follow up. Thanks...

If anything the Starbucks job is a low-end example at public relations and dealing with people (and I just love their damn fruit baskets :P)....and it's a decent enough place to work... just don't be like one of my "friends" who I had a short job... like $150 a week... basically going to this guy's home/office and cleaning it up and sorting papers and his excuse was "I'm depressed and I can't wake up before Noon"... which I had no part of ... first of all the he talks about his "depression" (he's a known drama queen and liar) like people talk about walking... anyway... each job is a learning experience and a chance to learn something new

and not to be harsh... if you keep tabs with ONE of your friends from school it will be a lot.... some will marry and have kids and disappear... some will move... and some are just shallow and worthless nothings that you just fade from as you yourself grow up... don't let it make you think less of your time and fun with them but all good things end.....

And it's one thing I learned in the computer biz early... follow EVERYTHING up... also makes sure they got the resume and lets you know your chances somewhat ... and shows you ARE interested... if they blow you off you then too know you need to look elsewhere... it's a no-lose situation :)

The hobby idea IS really good. I honestly don't know what the hell I could do as a hobby. I don't think I've ever had a hobby... ever. How boring is that? Haha

Wanna come play hockey tomorrow ??? :thumbsup:
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#34 threestars

threestars

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:43 AM

I kinda know how you feel LA....the prospect of needing to get a real job scares me. I have no idea what I want to do once I am done with my PhD, and just recently I have been reconsidering why I am even doing this now, but what would I rather be doing. I all seriousness I have absolutely no clue. I never wanted to be the kind of person that had no direction in life, but I find myself here now. I have been completely disillusioned numerous conferences.....I do not want to become one of those people, all they talk about is work...all the time. Also I am not one of those people that is completely driven...I am lazy, I lack motivation unless pressed by a firm deadline. So how would I ever become a professor, or lead a research group if I have no one towering over me and demanding my work.

Eh...I just feel in limbo. And it sucks. Apparently I also now have anxiety (I am finding out pretty much everyone else also does), so that really ain't helping. I have always been a healthy, non-sick person, so I feel very much out of my comfort zone.

Anyway, that is me whining.

brodeurrocks you have a very unique view of life, and death, something we could possibly all benefit from at times. We have a lot to be greatful for, we have so much and yet we focus on the petty details that are wrong with our lives.

Posted Image

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Lowell Devils' Goalies: Frank Doyle and (co-keeper) Jordan Parise; Keeper of former Ottawa Senator Dean McAmmond; co-Keeper of David Clarkson; Keeper of the first goal at The Rock (thank you Meszaros/Neil) and the first EN goal at The Rock (thanks Alfie); and co-Keeper of NJDevs.com Keepers.

Proud recipient of the 2008 NJDevs.com Joe Nieuwendyk Award for Best Non-Devils Fan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

GO SENS GO!!!Posted ImageGO SENSGO!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I curse you Noah Webster for your defamation of the English language. I spit on you.

#35 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,476 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 03:32 PM

LA sounds like I imagine Niedermayer fears he'll be if he retires for real and true :rofl: :unsure: yeah... i crack myself up.

i will be saying safty prayers for moustic...I hear you so much! I see planes in teh air and still think of them as big torpedos or something. My husband is fine with flying because he wants to go places. I - while I know chances of death are even higher, prefer driving long distances. Of course it will be pretty hard getting to Paris by automobile.

I'm here for the party

#36 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • 21,584 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 03:43 PM

...it will be pretty hard getting to Paris by automobile.

Hard, but not impossible. If anyone can do it, it's you PK.

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

#37 SteveStevens

SteveStevens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 03:53 PM

You just need a really fast car with a good ramp or some swimmies on it.

#38 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • 21,584 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 03:59 PM

You just need a really fast car with a good ramp or some swimmies on it.

Now that's just silly.

#39 TravisZajac

TravisZajac

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 04:30 PM

I think it woudl be good to jsut have a thread just to reflect on life.

Ill start it off. Ive been stressing over class, i just finished a 8 page ap-physics report on how a humidified baseball absorbs the shock and dosent go as far when hit compared to a normal regulation one. Ive been typing that up and listening to Wilco's, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, to relax out a bit.

So how is everyone else doing?

I'm back from High school...Had a not so bad morning(I had..Physical Sciences, French, Physical Education,Option Physical Education)

I did..13.79 on the 100meters , and the last period with the Option P.E we played touch Football, in which we won 14-0!
Posted Image

#40 moustic

moustic

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 04:40 PM

Now that's just silly.

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image