29 replies to this topic

#1 Kicksave Brodeur!!

Kicksave Brodeur!!

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:34 PM

"This is how you treat people who may die for this country?" said Bill Squires, an Annapolis graduate (Class of'75) who was on the sidelines for the Friday night game in Piscataway and was shocked by the obscene chants directed at the Navy players and fans throughout the game. "It was the most classless thing I've seen."

''F--- you, Navy. F---you, Navy. F--- you, Navy."

"There were wives and small children up there," said Squires, an academic recruiter for the academy who has been to dozens of away games and never seen such contempt directed at his team. "Our Midshipmen reacted the way they were taught. They didn't respond, but the band started playing 'Anchors Aweigh' to drown them out. Me, I felt like going up there and smacking somebody. I was mad, and it bothered me all weekend."

http://www.nj.com/ne...b....xml&coll=1

#2 TravisZajac

TravisZajac

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:38 PM

Hummmmm.....

That's bad.
Posted Image

#3 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,018 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:57 PM

That is absolutely horrible. Hopefully it was just a couple of drunk, class-less fans and not everyone in the entire section of the stands. I always believe in giving the opponent respect, but considering what the men and women at the military academy's go through, they deserve an even extra amount of respect.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl

My New Jersey Devils Prospect Blog
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#4 Kicksave Brodeur!!

Kicksave Brodeur!!

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:13 PM

Rutgers apologizes for taunting Navy
Angered by some derisive and profanity-laced taunts leveled at the visiting Navy football team and its fans last week, Rutgers University officials sent an open letter to students on Tuesday calling for better behavior.

The letter from athletic director Robert Mulcahy and Greg Blimling, the school's vice president of student affairs, said the behavior exhibited by "a small group" of students at Friday night's game, won by Rutgers 41-24, was "undignified, disrespectful and unacceptable."

The issue gained a wide airing when Mark DiIonno, a columnist for the Star-Ledger of Newark, who is a Rutgers grad and Navy veteran, used his Tuesday column to condemn the students' "loutish" behavior. The Midshipmen, some of whom "may soon be among the young American men and women fighting and bleeding and dying in Iraq and Afghanistan," deserved better, DiIonno wrote.

"At the very least, you'd think the Rutgers students would have some appreciation for the effort the undersize Navy players put out. ... They are what Rutgers was not so many years ago. Students first, athletes second. Except better," DiIonno wrote.

On Tuesday, Rutgers president Richard McCormick sent a letter to Naval Academy officials, apologizing for the students' actions.

"No student-athlete should ever be subject to profane language directed at them from the crowd, and certainly not the young men of the Naval Academy who have made a commitment to serve our nation in a time of war," McCormick wrote.
http://www.chron.com...ts/5127634.html

It's sort of ironic that this happened at rutgers,considering the Imus debacle and the lawsuit that almost was. :noclue:

Edited by Kicksave Brodeur!!, 12 September 2007 - 07:15 PM.

#5 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,762 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:27 PM

Posted in the RU thread.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#6 Kicksave Brodeur!!

Kicksave Brodeur!!

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:41 PM

Posted in the RU thread.

why would you post it there?

#7 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,731 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:35 PM

I had some of those a$$holes sitting in front of me. I was embarrassed to be rooting for the same team as them. It's pretty classless to say stuff like that to any team, but considering this is the US Navy, it is just plain stupid. I hope people don't think of those dumb jackasses as an accurate representation of Rutgers football fans.

Edited by devilsfan26, 12 September 2007 - 08:36 PM.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#8 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,731 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:46 PM

It's sort of ironic that this happened at rutgers,considering the Imus debacle and the lawsuit that almost was. :noclue:

From my assessment of the situation, most people at Rutgers didn't really think badly of Imus and the incident was blown way out of proportion, probably much like this incident will be.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#9 Kicksave Brodeur!!

Kicksave Brodeur!!

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:54 PM

From my assessment of the situation, most people at Rutgers didn't really think badly of Imus and the incident was blown way out of proportion, probably much like this incident will be.

Yeah I guess so,but still, even though your drinking you gotta use your brain just a little.

edit: And your right this will more than likely get blown out of proportion and reflect poorly on RU.

Edited by Kicksave Brodeur!!, 12 September 2007 - 08:58 PM.

#10 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:36 PM

you can yell scream chant and cheer but no one should curse like that.... Sporting events are open to anyone to come and we have to remember to show respect to others.
New Jersey Devils 3 time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003!

Posted Image

#11 metallidevils

metallidevils

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:41 PM

posted in the other thread as well...

I've read enough articles on the subject, and my view has not changed - there was NOTHING wrong with the booing, and although the cursing was wrong, it's wrong for EVERY game, not just this one. Why is it OK to boo/curse other football teams, who I'm sure also have players who will help make the world a better place? Cursing publicly in front of families/kids is a wrong thing to do. But booing? It's not we are booing them personally. We're trying to make an environment as hostile as possible (while still hopefully keeping it clean) for the opposing team. And why not? They're trying to beat our football team. Cursing is wrong, but it's no more wrong than it was last week against Buffalo, although no one seemed to write about that. It's not like we're booing their choice to join the Navy, or booing the fact that they will one day be fighting for our country...just booing the fact that they, as football players, are trying to beat our team...it's nothing personal; it's just football.
"We had our chances. But Martin Brodeur is a hell of a player."
Posted Image
Posted Image of "It's a power play goal! F*** you Sam Rosen!"

#12 Kicksave Brodeur!!

Kicksave Brodeur!!

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:09 PM

posted in the other thread as well...

I've read enough articles on the subject, and my view has not changed - there was NOTHING wrong with the booing, and although the cursing was wrong, it's wrong for EVERY game, not just this one. Why is it OK to boo/curse other football teams, who I'm sure also have players who will help make the world a better place? Cursing publicly in front of families/kids is a wrong thing to do. But booing? It's not we are booing them personally. We're trying to make an environment as hostile as possible (while still hopefully keeping it clean) for the opposing team. And why not? They're trying to beat our football team. Cursing is wrong, but it's no more wrong than it was last week against Buffalo, although no one seemed to write about that. It's not like we're booing their choice to join the Navy, or booing the fact that they will one day be fighting for our country...just booing the fact that they, as football players, are trying to beat our team...it's nothing personal; it's just football.

Someone who had the ability to report on the event and witness the poor behavior, plus the fact that they had a vested interest in the visiting team was all it took to start this.I agree that as a fan I want to give the visiting team as much of a hostile environment as possible. But common sense says there are limits that should be followed.The next time you shout the F bomb in the "Rock" will probably be the last time that anyone will do it regardless of what team they root for.But as "higher"(pun intended) educated students they knew better,all they had to do was look at the families they were shouting at.

#13 metallidevils

metallidevils

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:54 PM

I understand and agree with the opinion that there is no room for cursing in sports. However, I still feel that Friday's game was no different than any other game, and that if McCormick didn't feel the need to apologize to Buffalo for the cursing chants, then this past game is no different.
"We had our chances. But Martin Brodeur is a hell of a player."
Posted Image
Posted Image of "It's a power play goal! F*** you Sam Rosen!"

#14 Kicksave Brodeur!!

Kicksave Brodeur!!

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:27 PM

I understand and agree with the opinion that there is no room for cursing in sports. However, I still feel that Friday's game was no different than any other game, and that if McCormick didn't feel the need to apologize to Buffalo for the cursing chants, then this past game is no different.

"Now that Rutgers is big-time, the old-time academic-and adult-minded fans are being elbowed aside by gangs of frat boys thrusting their fists and faces into the rolling ESPN cameras. What was it your old football coach used to say? Act like you've been there before. Not in the RU student section"... Buffalo,Navy,Norfolk State, thats not exactly murderers row.

#15 Devs4LIFE

Devs4LIFE

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:41 PM

This is like when I went to a Devils/Rangers game and the Devils fans started chanting "Rangers suck" while the national anthem was being played, it was embarrassing as a Devils fan.
Posted Image

#16 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,915 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:49 PM

Should we at all suprised?

#17 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,762 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 12:00 AM

why would you post it there?

Why wouldn't I? It's Rutgers related.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#18 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,731 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 12:14 AM

Yeah I guess so,but still, even though your drinking you gotta use your brain just a little.

Well yea those people were being a$$holes, I'm not defending them in any way. I would also like to point out that there were only a handful of students out of the thousands in attendance who were shouting "F you Navy" etc. The only reason this is becoming a big deal is because those people happened to be sitting by the Navy band, cheerleaders, and fans. I guess my point is that those people were a$$holes, but most RU students who go to the games aren't a$$holes.

Edited by devilsfan26, 13 September 2007 - 12:15 AM.

--John Buccigross

#19 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,731 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 12:18 AM

That is absolutely horrible. Hopefully it was just a couple of drunk, class-less fans and not everyone in the entire section of the stands. I always believe in giving the opponent respect, but considering what the men and women at the military academy's go through, they deserve an even extra amount of respect.

That's exactly what it was. They were sitting right in front of me. My friends and I were shaking our heads in disgust. We tried to get it through their heads that this is the UNITED STATES NAVY that they are saying "fvck you" to.
--John Buccigross

#20 Kicksave Brodeur!!

Kicksave Brodeur!!

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 10:51 AM

Why wouldn't I? It's Rutgers related.

A thousand pardons oh "great" one. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users