29 replies to this topic

#21 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:16 AM

This incident is being blown way out of proportion. The Rutgers fans were not booing the work that the Navy does in keeping our country safe. They were just booing the Navy Football team.

"The Devils always find a way to win, ... That will continue." -Scott Stevens
"I wouldn't think so. Nothing is broken. It's just a bruise." -Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image

#22 Kicksave Brodeur!!

Kicksave Brodeur!!

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:31 AM

This incident is being blown way out of proportion. The Rutgers fans were not booing the work that the Navy does in keeping our country safe. They were just booing the Navy Football team.

If it was "just" booing, I doubt this would have been a story.

#23 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 12:50 PM

Sorry, I did not mean that they were actually booing. I intended it to mean that whatever the fans said was not directed at the actual Navy, just the Navy Football team. I will try to be clearer next time.

"The Devils always find a way to win, ... That will continue." -Scott Stevens
"I wouldn't think so. Nothing is broken. It's just a bruise." -Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image

#24 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 01:07 PM

1st off - I didn't like the negative conotations the articles' author lays on "painted fans". Just because yer an avid fanatic, doesn't mean yer an a-hole cursin idiot. This guy is a bigot to start with. :whistling:

2ndly - the people who swore went too far, but.... It happens in every sport, in every game. Some drunk/drunks act like a-holes. The only reason this guy wrote this was because it happened around 9/11 and he connected dots that are not even on the same page.

What do you think happens at the Army-Navy game??? They raz each other.

Mark Di Ionno is an idiot by this statement alone.
"Football has always marched to a militaristic or tribal drum beat, to whip up players to greater levels of violence. The game is always likened to war by coaches, players, announcers and writers who haven't been to war. "

I've been to war, and I've played football. There is a legitimate analogy there. What a whining jackass.

No need to bring the fact that it was Navy into this. Just that it was yet another example of how people should NOT act at ANY sporting event. Stirring up crap.

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#25 metallidevils

metallidevils

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 01:20 PM

It still would have. The booing/cursing has been there at every RU football game I've ever attended...but never once has it been written up. The stories aren't a result of the cursing; they're a result of the animosity towards the Navy team, which IMO is BS. Even if it was just booing, the stories would still be written. I don't care if Rutgers is playing a team of priests. If they're dressed in football uniforms and trying to beat our team, booing is fine.
"We had our chances. But Martin Brodeur is a hell of a player."
Posted Image
Posted Image of "It's a power play goal! F*** you Sam Rosen!"

#26 Kicksave Brodeur!!

Kicksave Brodeur!!

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 01:35 PM

So shouting the F word..oh I'm sorry...Booing the other team, loud enough for their families to get up and leave because they were offended, is okay because I'ts always been done in the past?

#27 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 01:45 PM

Sorry, I did not mean that they were actually booing. I intended it to mean that whatever the fans said was not directed at the actual Navy, just the Navy Football team. I will try to be clearer next time.

That is true, they were just implying it toward the football team, and the fact that they were trying to beat our football team, but saying "fvck you, Navy" just does not sound like that and you sound like an ungrateful loser when you say it.

So shouting the F word..oh I'm sorry...Booing the other team, loud enough for their families to get up and leave because they were offended, is okay because I'ts always been done in the past?

Nobody is saying it was okay for them to be cursing off the navy. What are you trying to say?
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#28 metallidevils

metallidevils

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 01:45 PM

no, it's just not any worse doing it against Navy than it is against any other team. I've already said countless times that I don't approve of cursing at sports events. Hell, I hate the 'Rangers Suck' chants.

However, if families leave because of booing..well then they don't belong at sporting events.
"We had our chances. But Martin Brodeur is a hell of a player."
Posted Image
Posted Image of "It's a power play goal! F*** you Sam Rosen!"

#29 Kicksave Brodeur!!

Kicksave Brodeur!!

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 02:03 PM

no, it's just not any worse doing it against Navy than it is against any other team. I've already said countless times that I don't approve of cursing at sports events. Hell, I hate the 'Rangers Suck' chants.

However, if families leave because of booing..well then they don't belong at sporting events.

It sounds like we agree, that there is little room in sports for the kind of cursing (in unison by a large group of fans) that was reported at the RU game.Even tho I doubt that a family would get up and leave just because they heard "booing",there is a fine line (semantics?) between one person being offended and the next...i.e. your team sucks vs f your team.So I guess what I'm saying is since we have already beat this horse to death, I'll give the benefit of doubt and say RU fans are enthusiastic and didn't mean to hurt anyones feelings.

#30 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 02:10 PM

It sounds like we agree, that there is little room in sports for the kind of cursing (in unison by a large group of fans) that was reported at the RU game.Even tho I doubt that a family would get up and leave just because they heard "booing",there is a fine line (semantics?) between one person being offended and the next...i.e. your team sucks vs f your team.So I guess what I'm saying is since we have already beat this horse to death, I'll give the benefit of doubt and say RU fans are enthusiastic and didn't mean to hurt anyones feelings.

It wasn't really a large group of fans. It was only a few, but they were near the Navy band, cheerleaders, and fans.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users