16 replies to this topic

#1 NJD Jester

NJD Jester

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,719 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 05:20 PM

I'm doing a mini-series on FanHouse about the NHL in London, so when I saw that our own Chimaira_Devil_#9 would be attending his first game this weekend, I decided to touch base for an interview. The end result is here:

http://sports.aol.co...-nhl-fan-in-lo/

Thanks to Ben for a great, enlightening interview. There's some very eye-opening stuff in there about what it's like to follow the NHL having never lived in North America.

<JESTER>

Edited by NJD Jester, 27 September 2007 - 05:31 PM.

Posted Image

"Glow Pucks & 10-Cent Beer: The 101 Worst Ideas in Sports History" is available now online and at local bookstores.

Get your NJD fan stories published in Hell & Back: A People's History Of The New Jersey Devils. Visit The Hell & Back Homepage for details!

#2 brodeurrocks

brodeurrocks

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 05:25 PM

I have a friend in England who basically said the same thing. The coverage of the NHL is very poor due to time differences.
He has to stay up until 2 or 3 in the morning for some games. These games being played there will be good for exposure but there is no way an NHL team could survive there right now.

Edited by brodeurrocks, 27 September 2007 - 05:26 PM.

Posted Image

Official Keeper of David Clarkson's Open Ice Hits!

Official Keeper of the stains on Chico's shirt and tie from "Chico Eats" episodes!

#3 Devs4LIFE

Devs4LIFE

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 05:32 PM

Pretty good article, it's always good to see other people's opinions, especially if they come from a different culture.
Posted Image

#4 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,323 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 05:36 PM

Great article.

Have a great time at your first game Ben!

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#5 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 07:12 PM

Cheers guys im heading down to the arena tomorrow to try and get in to watch a practice session.

Thanks to Jester for giving me the oppertunity. :evil:

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#6 Devilswede

Devilswede

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 07:40 PM

I sure feel his pain. I sit up for at least 82 Devils games a year, just to listen to them...it's a HUGE bonus when a Devils game is on TV over here or online. But I also watch the other teams as much as I can. I have obligations with the studies and all...but I just can't skip Devils games.

It's 3 am over here right now, but I'm up because I just can't wait for the season to start! :)
I met this really kinky girl last night. "Humiliate me", she said. ..So I bought her a Rangers jersey...

#7 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,249 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:26 PM

I've never looked but are there any nhl torrent websites? I follow the EPL and don't get to watch every game on tv that I want to watch but I have ended up finding good soccer torrents to download games from.

#8 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:13 PM

Cheers guys im heading down to the arena tomorrow to try and get in to watch a practice session.

Enjoyed the read jester/ben. there are pockets in the US that is horrible as well for hockey coverage. Ben, I know it's expensive, but have you made a trip to the states? or do you have one planned?

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#9 TravisZajac

TravisZajac

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:22 PM

"Isn't that like a specialty in Quebec, like chips, cheese and gravy?"

Fries/Cheese and a POUTINE SAUCE!

BTW, Great article and good luck BEN!
Posted Image

#10 moustic

moustic

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 03:57 AM

Now I wanna to see NHL come to France...
Just to have my interview !

#11 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 08:43 AM

Enjoyed the read jester/ben. there are pockets in the US that is horrible as well for hockey coverage. Ben, I know it's expensive, but have you made a trip to the states? or do you have one planned?

Yeah i am gonna make a trip some time next year, i tried to go for the opening of the rock , but last year i spent

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#12 threestars

threestars

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 09:50 AM

I'll say one word to you Chimaira......(ok technically it is two words)........GRAD SCHOOL........they pay YOU, it is fantastic.

Oh and enjoy the game tomorrow......we want a full report.

Posted Image

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Lowell Devils' Goalies: Frank Doyle and (co-keeper) Jordan Parise; Keeper of former Ottawa Senator Dean McAmmond; co-Keeper of David Clarkson; Keeper of the first goal at The Rock (thank you Meszaros/Neil) and the first EN goal at The Rock (thanks Alfie); and co-Keeper of NJDevs.com Keepers.

Proud recipient of the 2008 NJDevs.com Joe Nieuwendyk Award for Best Non-Devils Fan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

GO SENS GO!!!Posted ImageGO SENSGO!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I curse you Noah Webster for your defamation of the English language. I spit on you.

#13 peteyvegas

peteyvegas

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:29 AM

Good Luck. Wait 'till you get a load of NHL for the first time. Hell, I dreamt about it every night for months! And I was already a teenager!! The first image lasts forever.

#14 ev0lemi

ev0lemi

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 02:03 PM

dude when i was in london last year during the playoffs i was DYING because i couldn't watch the games! I never made it over to the Maple Leaf but that was th e only place i had hoped would air games.
---
Keeper of the Red and Black, Parise's first NHL goal and the smoking section outside of gate D.
"If you are going to go the TMI route you may as well take every exit!" - sammyk!

#15 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 08:04 PM

dude when i was in london last year during the playoffs i was DYING because i couldn't watch the games! I never made it over to the Maple Leaf but that was th e only place i had hoped would air games.

That place is cool they always show sport , and the have a canada day parade. :dance:

I know of a few other places that show it but if anything else is on they dont.

When i was in Santorini in greece on a feild trip , i found a sports bar, and Irish bar called Murphys and they showed most NHL playoff game, Good times.

If you want Irish beer, American sport and your stuck in Greece thats the place to go :boogie:

Posted Image

#16 elias2600

elias2600

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:17 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed this one. great job!

#17 Belizarius

Belizarius

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 09:55 AM

Nice read... I feel about the same in France as most of the hockey fans are following French league and a little but the NHL, but far behind.
I don't know a place to watch games in my town unfortunately, even if Tours is a pretty big hockey town.
As for Crosby, I think in France you'll be lucky if you find 5 people knowing him. I'm pretty sure it would be less.
Diable Noir

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users