73 replies to this topic

#41 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 10:52 AM

alou hit like .450 down the stretch, i'll take him on the team next year with open arms.

He was terrific. As was El Duque for a good stretch. As was Glavine for a couple of months. But the problem with old guys is that they BREAK DOWN, and can't be counted on to stay healthy or effective over the course of 162 games. It took forever for Alou to heal from a simple quad pull. Do you really think he's going to be less brittle and injury-prone next season?

This team needs to get younger.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#42 Devilish34

Devilish34

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,324 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:01 AM

Hey..I was wrong...call me out if that makes you feel all better...Im wrong hundreds of times a week...especially about sports.

I'm listening to WFAN right now...man even as a Yankees fan this is hard to listen to..

If you're referring to my post ehh you went with the law of averages

86 the Kool Ade -- we need some fvcking icewater for these pussies

Posted ImageRIP Bill 1931-2007
RIP Major/Dr. John Paul Pryor killed in Iraq on 12/25/08. You will be greatly missed and can never be replaced.
What Happened To Dr Pryor?

You might be a Redneck if you brag about running a 11.57@118.14Posted Image

#43 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:14 AM

Mets lost.. Theres gonna be hell to pay for those fish.. Im not just saying this because they beat the MEts but they are big douche-bags. Anyone read the Record article about the Marlins this morning? a$$holes like Ramirez making ridiculous comments about how hes gonna kick the Mets' "butts" .. and Olivo's comments were even more disrespectful, who pointed that he can beat up anyone/anytime, i would love to see that fvck say that to my face.. maybe he should learn to be a catcher the fvckin jerk he is, i swear if i was at the Mets game today and if Olivo came up to bat i would've tackled his ass and got thrown out and fined, it would be well worth it! Olivo also singled out Perez and DiFelice as being "garbage" players.. fvck you stupid MArlins, you are only crying because you are in dead last.. fish fried once again.

Watch your back next year Olivo... if you even are with the fish.. which i doubt..

Throw the Marlins in the same boat with the Nationals and others, who hate the Mets and their cocky attitudes. There's a reason the Marlins said the things they did.

That "sipping champagne" comment has come back to bite Willie in the ass, hasn't it?

#44 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:16 AM

Milledge's career doesn't project to be that great - he's probably going to be another Rondell White. A solid, not-great journeyman type outfielder. The Mets aren't going to get much back for him.

Willis is a mechanical nightmare.

Obviously trading for Santana would mean locking him up long-term first.

I don't know what bullpen guys are available this off-season - most of them are bad anyway, usually - there's a lot more Kyle Farnsworths than good pitchers.

The Mets should obviously retain Alou next season. What else are they going to do in left field - put Carlos Gomez there?

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#45 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:32 AM

Giving multi year deals to Duque, Mota and Schoenweis really hurts right now for the Mets. Should the Yankees be fortunate enough to have some champagne you know they will share some with a true Yankee like Willie Randolph.

What I have not seen mentioned much in the postmortem is that the Mets blew a 7 game lead in the Wild Card with 17 to play as well. At least the '64 Phillies didn't have the Wild Card to fall back on.
"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#46 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:38 AM

Giving multi year deals to Duque, Mota and Schoenweis really hurts right now for the Mets. Should the Yankees be fortunate enough to have some champagne you know they will share some with a true Yankee like Willie Randolph.

What I have not seen mentioned much in the postmortem is that the Mets blew a 7 game lead in the Wild Card with 17 to play as well. At least the '64 Phillies didn't have the Wild Card to fall back on.

It is the second-worst collapse in major league history. The worst still belongs to the California Angels of 1995, who blew a 9.5 game division lead on August 20th, as well as a 12.0 game lead for the Wild Card. The Mets were a 500-to-1 shot to fall out of the playoffs, the Angels an 8332-1 shot.

#47 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:47 AM

It is the second-worst collapse in major league history. The worst still belongs to the California Angels of 1995, who blew a 9.5 game division lead on August 20th, as well as a 12.0 game lead for the Wild Card. The Mets were a 500-to-1 shot to fall out of the playoffs, the Angels an 8332-1 shot.

I dunno. I saw that article but I dare say this is worse since it happened so close to the end of the season. With 17 games to go the Angels had already blown their lead and were a game out of first in the AL West and 1.5 behind the Yankees for the WC. The Mets, OTOH, were still rulers over all they surveyed with the best record in the National League.

Palin 2012

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

#48 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:50 AM

I dunno. I saw that article but I dare say this is worse since it happened so close to the end of the season. With 17 games to go the Angels had already blown their lead and were a game out of first in the AL West and 1.5 behind the Yankees for the WC. The Mets, OTOH, were still rulers over all they surveyed with the best record in the National League.

Meh, 8000-1 shot > 500-1 shot. Let's just say they're both awful. Plus, I'm sure the three or four Angels fans at that time weren't TOO upset about it.

#49 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:51 AM

Aren't you a Yankee fan?

Shouldn't you be celebrating their wild card berth and worrying about their upcoming playoff series instead of coming on this thread to take cheap shots?

We're well aware what the lead was and how many games were left in the season. We don't need you to point it out to us. So instead of posting for no other reason than to annoy Met fans, why not just enjoy what the Yankees have done with other Yankee fans?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 01 October 2007 - 11:52 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#50 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:05 PM

Aren't you a Yankee fan?

Shouldn't you be celebrating their wild card berth and worrying about their upcoming playoff series instead of coming on this thread to take cheap shots?

We're well aware what the lead was and how many games were left in the season. We don't need you to point it out to us. So instead of posting for no other reason than to annoy Met fans, why not just enjoy what the Yankees have done with other Yankee fans?

Awww, here have a cookie:

Posted Image

A giant cookie to relieve the giant pain of your team's epic collapse. The collapse all later collapses will be measured by. Don't worry though. The Yankees have your back. They are ready to step in and provide you with a real baseball team to root for. One that wins titles.

Palin 2012

#51 metallidevils

metallidevils

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:18 PM

petey stick to hockey
"We had our chances. But Martin Brodeur is a hell of a player."
Posted Image
Posted Image of "It's a power play goal! F*** you Sam Rosen!"

#52 Nature's Minister

Nature's Minister

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:23 PM

Considering the potshots Mets fans were taking earlier this season (on this board, even) I don't think he's too out of line, tbh.
Is that a Japanese configuration?

#53 Devilish34

Devilish34

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,324 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:25 PM

A giant cookie to relieve the giant pain of your team's epic collapse. The collapse all later collapses will be measured by. Don't worry though. The Yankees have your back. They are ready to step in and provide you with a real baseball team to root for. One that buys titles.

Fixed

86 the Kool Ade -- we need some fvcking icewater for these pussies

Posted ImageRIP Bill 1931-2007
RIP Major/Dr. John Paul Pryor killed in Iraq on 12/25/08. You will be greatly missed and can never be replaced.
What Happened To Dr Pryor?

You might be a Redneck if you brag about running a 11.57@118.14Posted Image

#54 Nature's Minister

Nature's Minister

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:27 PM

The Mets have a higher payroll than the Padres and the Rockies combined.

#55 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,452 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:31 PM

oh come now... now I don't give a damn about baseball (but I watch and listen to make conversations at work)

but a Met fan crying about the Yankee payroll is like a Nazi calling Al Sharpton a big racist :P

it's been done plenty of times in baseball... big payroll teams that lay eggs... the Orioles had them... the Dodgers have them... this is the second coming of a Mets team that did it....

this whole team came APART at the seams in a way you may never see again in sports!
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#56 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,129 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:33 PM

Willie needs to go. He has no character and had no idea how to manage a bullpen.
I like LoDuca, at least he has heart.
Glavine better not be back in a Mets uniform.
Schoeneweis decent? Feliciano terrible? Are you kidding me? Feliciano was our best reliever this season, and Schoeneweis is probably our worst, after mota...are you kidding about that statement?

No Im not. During the times when our bullpen was weak it was SCHOEWENWEIS who got that big out or 2, or that full inning. NOT Feliciano.. Yea the whole 'pen was good the first half of the year but they all struggled with each other in August/September.. It was sorta odd; Schoewenweis struggled first half of season, then when the other BP pitchers sucked, he stepped up and did great. My statement is not a joke, i find it strange you think that.. Maybe i underestimated Feliciano due to being angery when i posted that, however I still believe Schoewenweis came up big when he needed to while everybody did not..
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#57 Nature's Minister

Nature's Minister

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:37 PM

He had an ERA above 5. He was not a good reliever. The whole "big out" thing is flawed, as bad pitchers can get hot and good hitters can go cold.

Feliciano, on the other hand, had an ERA around three, a WHIP .31 lower, a much higher k/9, etc. There's no comparison. Feliciano was the better reliever.

Edited by Nature's Minister, 01 October 2007 - 12:40 PM.

#58 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:41 PM

Posted Image

A giant cookie to relieve the giant pain of your team's epic collapse. The collapse all later collapses will be measured by. Don't worry though. The Yankees have your back. They are the authors of the worst post-season collapse of all time. So they know how you feel.

Fixed Petey's post.

#59 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,129 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:43 PM

He had an ERA above 5. He was not a good reliever. The whole "big out" thing is flawed, as bad pitchers can get hot and good hitters can go cold.

Feliciano, on the other hand, had an ERA around three, a WHIP .31 lower, a much higher k/9, etc. There's no comparison. Feliciano was the better reliever.

Feliciano got his ass bailed out by other relievers at times.. I didn't say Feliciano was worse overall, I just think THIS season when it counted most (last month) our best reliever was clearly Schoewenweis.. Im not gonna argue anymore if you people actually think others did better in September.. I dont trust ERAs for relievers, at all.. it never says how a reliever does, because he can always be helped out by other relievers..
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#60 Nature's Minister

Nature's Minister

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:44 PM

His peripherals were much better than Schoenweiss'. Getting bailed out won't raise your k/9 or lower your WHIP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users