Kicksave Brodeur!!

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 03:38 PM

The Red Sox could use him as a bench coach next year! :whistling:

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3069115

Edited by Kicksave Brodeur!!, 18 October 2007 - 06:15 PM.

#2 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 03:40 PM

Yay!

The Yankees need a new direction and they were never going to get it with Torre.
"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#3 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 03:42 PM

Yep, rejects a 1 year 8 million dollar deal...

Who's going to replace? I'm going with Mattingly edging out Joe Girardi.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#4 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 03:48 PM

OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS ... :wink2:
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten. "Starbuck, what do you hear? ... Nothing but the rain...

"Look for my coming, at first light on the fifth day, at dawn, look to the East"

"I have the libido of a 15-year-old boy. " - Megan Fox

- Proud njdevs keeper of the Boss' Sold Out banner at the CAA -

#5 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 03:50 PM

Actually it was a one year, $5 million deal with bonuses depending on the Yankees' playoff performance.

It was both brilliant and skanky to offer him this. Brilliant because it appears on the surface to be a fair compromise and it caused Torre to turn down the Yankees instead of having to fire him. Skanky because they just flat-out didn't have the guts to fire him after all their tough talk the last two plus years.

Plus Torre would almost certainly have been fired anyway with anything less than a hot start, so that he never would have seen any of that bonus money. They didn't want him back.

#6 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 03:57 PM

Yeah my fault, it was 1 year 5 million guarentees, +1 million if make playoffs, +1 million if they make the ALCS, +1 if they make WS.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#7 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 04:03 PM

Just the $5M base salary would still make him the highest paid manager in baseball by a wide margin. It was a fair offer. One the Yankees had to make to someone with Torre's longevity with the team.
"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#8 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,469 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 04:14 PM

I'm a Mets fan just as a disclaimer and I think the Yankees are better off without Torre. If I was the Yankees I would want to get someone who would bring an energy feel to the team as my limited time watching the Yanks made it seem like they were a little too robotic at times.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#9 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 04:45 PM

lol they actually offered him a contract still? Steinbrunner (however u spell his name) = hypocrite, much? Torre kinda owned him to buy rejecting the offer.. hahahaha
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#10 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,900 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 04:51 PM

Actually it was a one year, $5 million deal with bonuses depending on the Yankees' playoff performance.

It was both brilliant and skanky to offer him this. Brilliant because it appears on the surface to be a fair compromise and it caused Torre to turn down the Yankees instead of having to fire him. Skanky because they just flat-out didn't have the guts to fire him after all their tough talk the last two plus years.

Plus Torre would almost certainly have been fired anyway with anything less than a hot start, so that he never would have seen any of that bonus money. They didn't want him back.

They wouldn't have had to fire him, his contract was up.

I want to say I find it hilarious that after all this media build-up on what the fate of Joe Torre is, that it wound up being Joe Torre himself deciding that fate. But I know better and think that the Yankees intentionally low-balled him. If I'm Joe Torre (with Joe Torre's bank account), I reject it to. A one-year deal basically means a placeholder 'til Don Mattingly steps in, and to take a pay cut (even if it is still the highest managerial contract in baseball) for the right to deal with Steinbrenner and his cronies for another year would be rediculous. Good for Joe. He was the only likeable thing about the Yankees and now he's gone, my hatred of that team can now be 100% unabashed vitriol!

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#11 njdevils783

njdevils783

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 04:52 PM

Really a smart move on the Yankees part. They offer him a contract which would still make him the highest paid manager in baseball but they do it in a way that would really humble Torre. They are going to save face with some fans as they didn't outright fire him they gave him a contract that he almost had to walk on. The guy really has nothing left to prove. He made it to the post season all 12 seasons and has 4 world series championships to show for it yet they wanted him to work on a youll get paid by your level of sucess scenario. It really was genius on Stienbrenners part, now all he has to do is bring in someone like Mattingly who the fans love to really help wipe Torre out of the minds of Yankee fans. If the Yankees end up winning it all under a new manager Stiendbrenner looks like he made the right move. If the yankees miss the playoffs or get bounced early well then hey he can at least say he offered Torre a contract. Pretty smart if you ask me.
Posted Image

#12 E-Devil

E-Devil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 04:53 PM

This had to be done. It has looked like Joe has really stopped caring about 3-4 years ago. I hardly see the Yankees these days do the little aggressive things they used to do when they were winning championships.

It was a classy move by the Yankees to make it look like he is quitting rather then outright fire him. His friendship with the Yankees top brass is really no secret anyways.
"Playing with him now, I have an even greater respect for him," center Joe Nieuwendyk said of Stevens. "He's a true captain. He's a leader."

#13 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,900 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 05:26 PM

This had to be done. It has looked like Joe has really stopped caring about 3-4 years ago. I hardly see the Yankees these days do the little aggressive things they used to do when they were winning championships.

It was a classy move by the Yankees to make it look like he is quitting rather then outright fire him. His friendship with the Yankees top brass is really no secret anyways.

This is the third mention of making him quit versus firing him...am I misinformed? I could have sworn his contract was up this year, which would mean they didn't have to fire him, they only had to not re-hire him.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#14 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 05:43 PM

Finally! I love Torre for the late nineties, but I have wanted him gone for some time now. Trey Hillman for manager 08!

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#15 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,937 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 05:46 PM

13 years of the playoffs is not enough.

Smooth move.

Talk all you want about "Joe needed to move on" this is a ZERO class, lowball move by the Yankee$ no matter how you $lice it.

Loyality means $***

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#16 TravisZajac

TravisZajac

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 06:03 PM

13 years of the playoffs is not enough.

Smooth move.

Talk all you want about "Joe needed to move on" this is a ZERO class, lowball move by the Yankee$ no matter how you $lice it.

Loyality means $***

Yeah.... Dude, for about the last 6years, the Yanks didn't win the World Series with the highest Salary cap. There has to be a problem, and it starts with George, then Torre.

E$PN :P
Posted Image

#17 Nature's Minister

Nature's Minister

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 06:12 PM

The Yankees have needed a new manager for a while now. The problem is, there aren't currently any good ones looking for a job.
Is that a Japanese configuration?

#18 brodeurrocks

brodeurrocks

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 06:26 PM

1 Year / $8 Million.... :o

Posted Image

Official Keeper of David Clarkson's Open Ice Hits!

Official Keeper of the stains on Chico's shirt and tie from "Chico Eats" episodes!

#19 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,937 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 07:02 PM

The Yankees have needed a new manager for a while now. The problem is, there aren't currently any good ones looking for a job.

Well who is SO much better and available? Saying that, how does that justify lowballing a manager who won you 4 World Series titles??

Oh that's right, the Yankees are SUPPOSED to win the World Series EVERY SEASON...so I guess old great Yankees managers like Casey Stengal, if he didnt win a WS after 6 years....f him, can his a$$.

Disgra$eful.

Edited by LOTCB, 18 October 2007 - 07:03 PM.

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#20 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,995 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 07:12 PM

This is the third mention of making him quit versus firing him...am I misinformed? I could have sworn his contract was up this year, which would mean they didn't have to fire him, they only had to not re-hire him.

You're arguing semantics, they let him go no matter which way you slice it.

I'm a Mets fan granted, so take this fwiw but to me either they should have given him a fair offer or just don't make him an offer at all. Don't insult everyone's intelligence, the Yankees came off rather nutless here. This is the same franchise that once fired Stengel after 10 WS appearances in 12 years, they couldn't just fire Torre the day after the season? They had to drag out this charade for almost two weeks to sell papers and make it look like they wanted him back when everyone knows they didn't.

And as for dismissing the fact that the Yankees have made the playoffs 12 years in a row and they need a new voice, I don't think every manager keeps the team even-keel enough to make the playoffs this year when they were a game under at the break or two years ago when they had that 11-19 start. Especially with all the inherent distractions of managing in NY, and managing under King George - even a diminished shadow of him.

Ironically it would have been better to dump him last year before the job he did this year and when Pinella was still sitting out there. Now what are the Yankees going to do? I'd love to see them get LaRussa, as someone who dislikes him it'd be fun to see him squirm in the NY glare. He's the total anti-Torre. He's the biggest name granted, but the other options aren't that appealing either.

That's because the Yankees have brought in a different type of player the last few years. They always go for the big-name big-star instead of having a team of solid players that don't have to put up big numbers the way they had when they were winning titles.

Edited by Hasan4978, 18 October 2007 - 07:15 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users