54 replies to this topic

#41 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,333 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:21 AM

Give the Yankees brass credit. There's a lot of fans like you who fell for their ploy to make Torre look like a greedy bastard.

Nothing wrong with wanting a new manager. And the Yankees want a new manager, but don't have the stones to say, "We're going in a new direction."

I'm a fan who wanted Torre gone, thinks that the Yankee brass handled everything fine, and I don't feel like Torre is a greedy bastard. It wasn't the contract he was looking for, plain and simple, he just declined it. I don't think this is a big deal, but like Petey said, the Yankee beat writers, especially guys like Pete Abraham, are throwing a fit.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#42 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:24 AM

I'm a fan who wanted Torre gone, thinks that the Yankee brass handled everything fine, and I don't feel like Torre is a greedy bastard. It wasn't the contract he was looking for, plain and simple, he just declined it. I don't think this is a big deal, but like Petey said, the Yankee beat writers, especially guys like Pete Abraham, are throwing a fit.

1) You wanted Torre gone
2) The Yankees offered him a contract
3) You feel Yankee management handled this well

:noclue:

#43 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:52 AM

1) You wanted Torre gone

It's really not that complicated. We wanted Torre gone. However, we understand that Torre has a lot of history with the Yankees and out of respect to that and the fact that the team has to sign guys who were close to Torre this off season we understand why they offered him a contract. For the situation they were in I think they handled it fine. I don't think Torre is a greedy bastard but the idea that the Yankees "lowballed" or "disrespected" Torre in any way lis laughable.

And LOCTB it isn't about someone be a "winner". How much did Torre win before he came here? It is about changing the attitude of the team.

Edited by PeteyNice, 19 October 2007 - 11:54 AM.

"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#44 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 01:04 PM

Triumph, the Yankees don't want Torre. It's as simple as that.

I am aware of that. I am saying they made the offer to save face with Posada and Rivera. If they're not free agents, this whole charade is forgone.

Managers aren't a big deal - at least it's hard to measure what effect they have on the team. Torre was considered a laughably bad manager before his stint in New York, so who knows? I do know that the team will save a bunch of money which they can pay to Posada and Rivera to smooth over any hard feelings.

EDIT: and of course beat writers are throwing a fit - they're worse than fans. They're probably upset that they won't get any good quotes out of the new manager or something similarly asinine. The Yankees had to handle this wrong; just how wrong they handled it will be determined by where Rivera and Posada end up.

Edited by Triumph, 19 October 2007 - 01:06 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#45 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 01:33 PM

I am aware of that. I am saying they made the offer to save face with Posada and Rivera. If they're not free agents, this whole charade is forgone.

Managers aren't a big deal - at least it's hard to measure what effect they have on the team. Torre was considered a laughably bad manager before his stint in New York, so who knows? I do know that the team will save a bunch of money which they can pay to Posada and Rivera to smooth over any hard feelings.

EDIT: and of course beat writers are throwing a fit - they're worse than fans. They're probably upset that they won't get any good quotes out of the new manager or something similarly asinine. The Yankees had to handle this wrong; just how wrong they handled it will be determined by where Rivera and Posada end up.

Whether Joe stayed or went, the Yankees were going to have to pony up for Rivera and Posada, and I believe they will, and that they will both stay. It should be interesting, to say the least.

#46 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,333 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:31 PM

1) You wanted Torre gone

I don't understand what part of my post is confusing. To sum it up, at the end of the day, the Yankees made a decision and Torre made his, now everyone has to get on with their lives. This is only as big of a deal as the beat writers want to make it.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#47 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,333 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:40 PM

Not only is Torre gone, but Bowa is going to Seattle: http://sports.yahoo....f?urn=mlb,49870

I'll miss Bowa, I always loved his intensity and attitude. I wish him the best.

Also, Trey Hillman has signed to be the manager of the Royals, unfortunately the Yankees were too late with their Torre decesion to get him:
http://sports.yahoo....H...p&type=lgns

I really wanted this guy but I guess we have to settle with either Girardi, Mattingly, or Pena, whom Cashman named his three cadidates for the job. http://yankees.lohudblogs.com/

#48 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,860 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 08:17 PM

Torre proves he's better man till very end

[i]

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#49 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:23 AM

I don't understand what part of my post is confusing. To sum it up, at the end of the day, the Yankees made a decision and Torre made his, now everyone has to get on with their lives. This is only as big of a deal as the beat writers want to make it.

You have GOT to be kidding. The beat writers are making too big a deal of this? I don't think so.

The part of your post that is confusing is that you wanted Torre gone (and so did Yankee brass), but you think it's OK that the Yankee management made a half-ass attempt to bring him back. Don't you see how spineless and yellow that is? Don't you see that the Steinbrenners and Levine didn't want to be the ones to technically say no to Joe, instead insulting Torre with some performance-based nonsense that he was likely to turn down?

The bottom line is that Torre is gone, and you're happy, which is fine. But don't tell me the Yankees handled it well. They didn't.

Edited by Jerrydevil, 21 October 2007 - 08:24 AM.

#50 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,333 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 09:55 AM

You have GOT to be kidding. The beat writers are making too big a deal of this? I don't think so.

The part of your post that is confusing is that you wanted Torre gone (and so did Yankee brass), but you think it's OK that the Yankee management made a half-ass attempt to bring him back. Don't you see how spineless and yellow that is? Don't you see that the Steinbrenners and Levine didn't want to be the ones to technically say no to Joe, instead insulting Torre with some performance-based nonsense that he was likely to turn down?

The bottom line is that Torre is gone, and you're happy, which is fine. But don't tell me the Yankees handled it well. They didn't.

Wow. Of course the beat writers are going to make a big deal out of this, this is giving them plenty of things to write about and thats what they get paid to do. Its not that hard to understand. I love Peter Abraham and his blog, but he has been a whiny little bitch ever since Torre was not brought back. The bottom line is Torre is not a good manager, and has been living off of his four rings for quite some time.

No, my post wasn't confusing. Because you disagree with me you are just trying to attack me. Get over yourself or learn to read and things will be clear for you. I made it clear I wanted Torre gone, I made it clear that I think management handled it well. Everyone who wanted Torre back has to move on. I'm pretty sure he has already had performance based clauses, and besides, he still would have been the highest paid manager. Like Petey said, I would love if someone decided to make me the highest paid at my job, it wouldn't be insulting.

The bottom line to me is the media is saying the Yankees didn't handle this well. I have talked to a lot of fans that I am friends with or see at work (I travel to tons of mechanics shops all over everyday) and I would say the vast majority of them feel they handled fine. This is a business, and this is how it works.

#51 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:21 PM

Wow. Of course the beat writers are going to make a big deal out of this, this is giving them plenty of things to write about and thats what they get paid to do. Its not that hard to understand. I love Peter Abraham and his blog, but he has been a whiny little bitch ever since Torre was not brought back. The bottom line is Torre is not a good manager, and has been living off of his four rings for quite some time.

No, my post wasn't confusing. Because you disagree with me you are just trying to attack me. Get over yourself or learn to read and things will be clear for you. I made it clear I wanted Torre gone, I made it clear that I think management handled it well. Everyone who wanted Torre back has to move on. I'm pretty sure he has already had performance based clauses, and besides, he still would have been the highest paid manager. Like Petey said, I would love if someone decided to make me the highest paid at my job, it wouldn't be insulting.

The bottom line to me is the media is saying the Yankees didn't handle this well. I have talked to a lot of fans that I am friends with or see at work (I travel to tons of mechanics shops all over everyday) and I would say the vast majority of them feel they handled fine. This is a business, and this is how it works.

So if Joe Torre said yes to the offer, THEN what would your opinion be of Yankee management?

I'm not attacking you. Just arguing. :)

#52 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,333 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:44 PM

So if Joe Torre said yes to the offer, THEN what would your opinion be of Yankee management?

I'm not attacking you. Just arguing. :)

First off, sorry about my tirade before. I kind of woke up on the wrong side of bed and wasn't looking forward to today since it was a busy day for me. I apologize about that.

If Torre said yes, I would say that they made a fair offer. Of course I would have preferred they would have told him they wanted to go another way, as I didn't want him back from day one of the offseason. So I guess if he had said yes, I would have been upset at the management.

I will say this, I love Cashman, but I don't want anyone to think I like Levine. I can't stand that guy. I am reserving opinions on Hal and Hank until I see them make more decisions.

#53 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:03 PM

First off, sorry about my tirade before. I kind of woke up on the wrong side of bed and wasn't looking forward to today since it was a busy day for me. I apologize about that.

If Torre said yes, I would say that they made a fair offer. Of course I would have preferred they would have told him they wanted to go another way, as I didn't want him back from day one of the offseason. So I guess if he had said yes, I would have been upset at the management.

I will say this, I love Cashman, but I don't want anyone to think I like Levine. I can't stand that guy. I am reserving opinions on Hal and Hank until I see them make more decisions.

Levine is slime. And I think you're starting to see what Hank Steinbrenner is like. http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3072881

I think it's good that the Yankees are going in a new direction. But I dislike PR games intensely. I like honesty, and the Yankee management does not have the stones to be honest with what they want. They say they wanted Torre to accept the offer, but I just don't believe them, and neither does Joe Torre.

By the way, the next Yankee manager is under a tremendous amount of pressure isn't he? If the Yankees don't make the ALCS, is that a firable offense? It's a tough situation for anyone, never mind a managerial greenhorn like Don Mattingly, if he ends up getting the job.

#54 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,333 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:26 PM

Levine is slime. And I think you're starting to see what Hank Steinbrenner is like. http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3072881

I think it's good that the Yankees are going in a new direction. But I dislike PR games intensely. I like honesty, and the Yankee management does not have the stones to be honest with what they want. They say they wanted Torre to accept the offer, but I just don't believe them, and neither does Joe Torre.

By the way, the next Yankee manager is under a tremendous amount of pressure isn't he? If the Yankees don't make the ALCS, is that a firable offense? It's a tough situation for anyone, never mind a managerial greenhorn like Don Mattingly, if he ends up getting the job.

I agree about Hank, I really think he should have kept his mouth shut and try to let this die out. PR wars are never good for anyone.

I also agree that the next manager is going to have a helluva time. With the unknowns in Hank and Hal in charge, Torre's success, and the pressure of winning, its going to be a real hard job. I wouldn't say the next manager would need to make the ALCS. That is just my opinion though. I hope they hire someone and at least give the guy a couple of years to make his mark on the team. Unless the manager is a complete bum and tries to burn out the young pitchers and things of that like. I judge more on performance, while the management will probably judge more on results. I can see the management being harsh and having a short leash though.

#55 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 03:45 PM

You know what I find amazing? That one of the Tampa guys helping to make decisions is Felix Lopez, Jessica Steinbrenner's second husband. This guy was the Legends Field groundskeeper and Jessica's former gardener. (Did she leave the window shades up ever so slightly while Felix was trimming the hedges?) The guy goes from grass-cutter to George's son-in-law and Yankee general partner. What a dream come true for him!

Edited by Jerrydevil, 23 October 2007 - 03:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users