65 replies to this topic

#21 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,924 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:15 AM

I'm starting to think this problem is more in LOTCB's head than in reality at this point.

How so?

Ok, lets recap...yes, we know the Yankees enjoy a HUGE advantage $ wise over the Red Sox..and so many anti-Yankees haters are so quick to point this out (and rightfully so in some case I might add)...but now, when looking at the major difference between the Red $ox payroll and Colorado and Cleveland, it is not much of an issue with the same people who bitch amd moan about the Yankee$ major advantage $ wise over the teams they have beaten, especially during the World Series runs.

And to me, I find that very hypocritical.

My head is perfectly fine

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#22 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,468 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:19 AM

Well it's just you brought it up in a thread about the world series, comparing this to the Yankees. There wasn't any need to bring up the Yankees or even the salaries really. If you wanted to make the comparision then go ahead and make it but to complain nobody is making the comparison(when it seems to me it is being made) seems to be obsessive about it. I heard a lot of David vs Goliath for the last series and that was a direct result of the salaries of the 2 teams so I feel like you may be filtering some of that out because you want to complain the comparison isn't being made and it's unfair to the Yankees.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#23 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:53 AM

If you're Terry Francona, how do you manage Ortiz/Youkilis for the games in Colorado? It's hard to believe that Big Papi will sit ... but maybe he will.

#24 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,924 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:51 PM

There wasn't any need to bring up the Yankees or even the salaries really.

I'm just acting like people did 7-10 years ago....and exploting the hypocri$y of others that is all.

Edited by LOTCB, 22 October 2007 - 01:52 PM.

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#25 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 02:34 PM

Wah! Wah! Boston has all the $$$$$!!! They buy players!!!!!! Im done with baseball!! It is a farce!! A Joke!!

(sorry, slipped into bitter red sox/met fan face from the late 90's) :lol: :lol:

I've repeatedly mentioned the Red Sox's payroll. Because that means that the Jays can't even qualify for the wild card because whomever doesn't win the division in the east wins the wildcard.
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#26 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 02:48 PM

I've repeatedly mentioned the Red Sox's payroll. Because that means that the Jays can't even qualify for the wild card because whomever doesn't win the division in the east wins the wildcard.

That's just one of the Blue Jays' problems.

#27 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 04:00 PM

If you're Terry Francona, how do you manage Ortiz/Youkilis for the games in Colorado? It's hard to believe that Big Papi will sit ... but maybe he will.

I also find it hard to believe that Ortiz will sit. What actual "position" does he play, if any? Did he play in the 2004 Series? Or has he always been a DH?

Also, I'm hoping for a Rockies win in 5. But to be honest, I don't have much in the way of hard facts about the Rockies, so I couldn't tell ya who wins when. Based on what I'm reading from this MLB.com article, the Rockies obliterated Boston at home. I don't expect them to get their roll on again (I'll be AMAZED if Col keeps them batting 3 for 27 with runners in scoring position), but I expect the Rockies to take an early advantage, maybe spilt the first two at Fenway. When they shift to Colorado is when the series will be decided.

Below assumes that the Rox are a competent pitching, fielding, and hitting ballclub.

-If the Red Sox have to sit Big Popi, the rest of the role players don't step up, and the Rockies can pitch around Ramirez, then the Rox could end as early as five.
-If Ortiz somehow plays in Col and does not become a defensive liability, and/or the Boston hitting stays like it has this postseason rather than near the end of the regular season, then I'm liking Boston in the five to six range.
-If this comes down to Beckett vs. Francis Game 7, I like Beckett's chances of winning that game. The Rox will want to avoid that at all costs.

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!, 22 October 2007 - 04:06 PM.

VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#28 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:53 PM

Who cares how much a team spends or not? There is no salary cap limit and no one is breaking any rules. All that should matter is performance on the field.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#29 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:51 PM

Who cares how much a team spends or not? There is no salary cap limit and no one is breaking any rules. All that should matter is performance on the field.

Exactly correct. I detest the rules and therefore don't watch. No loss. Personal opinion.

#30 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:43 AM

THe Rockies reminded me the Ducks of 2003. So, I'll pick the Sox to win in 7.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Chocolate + Devil = My life

#31 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 02:21 AM

The two teams I have been rooting against throughout the entire playoffs are now meeting in the World Series. How splendid. :angry:
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#32 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 02:24 AM

Starting Ortiz in 2004 in St. Louis turned out to be a success as he was not a large downfall overall. He actually made a few good plays. That being said, the lineup would probably look like:

Pedroia
Lugo
Ortiz
Ramirez
Lowell
Drew
Varitek
Crisp
Pitcher

Still, pound for pound, better than The Rockies lineup.

Pitching:
Francis is good, but Beckett is better.
Jiminez is good, but Schilling is better, especially in the post season.

In my opinion the Rockies should have a backwards rotation and put Francis and Jiminez in games 3 and 4 against Dice K and Wakefield. If Beckett, Schilling and the Sox lineup take care of the first two games in Boston, then the Rockes are DONE.

The Rox should hope that Cooke and Fogg keep the Rockies in the game for the first two and maybe even steal one from the Sox at Fenway. Because in the cold weather, games 3 and 4 at Coors with Francis and Jiminez pitching, the Rockies have the chance to take control.

Sox in 6

#33 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,924 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 10:03 AM

Exactly correct. I detest the rules and therefore don't watch. No loss. Personal opinion.

I must ask though Don...all due respect....you do spend time in the baseball threads...you must have SOME interest in baseball at some level...

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#34 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:06 AM

I must ask though Don...all due respect....you do spend time in the baseball threads...you must have SOME interest in baseball at some level...

As in the sport or as in MLB?

Baseball is my game. When I was 4 the doctor diagnosed a joint problem in my foot that would prevent me from skating, so my parents put me in baseball. I played until I was 17 and then I became a coach, coaching youngsters until I was in my early 20s. I still love playing and absolutely love the sport.

But I've given up on MLB. I'll read the threads here, but I also read the threads here about alchie ex-boyfriends.

#35 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,924 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:40 PM

As in the sport or as in MLB?

Baseball is my game. When I was 4 the doctor diagnosed a joint problem in my foot that would prevent me from skating, so my parents put me in baseball. I played until I was 17 and then I became a coach, coaching youngsters until I was in my early 20s. I still love playing and absolutely love the sport.

But I've given up on MLB. I'll read the threads here, but I also read the threads here about alchie ex-boyfriends.

So even if the Blue Jays turn things around and starting winning big (which I think they can with current ownership) that would not bring you back?

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#36 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 02:37 PM

Actually, I don't think so.

To compete with the Yankees and the Red Sox, Rogers is running the Jays at a loss, paid for by profits from their other ventures. They have an oligopoly running with Bell providing cable, internet, cell phone and other communication services.

Over the last two years Ted Rogers has near doubled the payroll of the Jays in an attempt to compete with the other payrolls in the division. To pay for that, basic cable has gone up, phone charges have gone up, data rates that you would get from AT&T for $60 you get from Rogers for $1700.

Would I want to see the Jays run at a loss to be competitive while Ted Rogers price gouges Ontario consumers? Absolutely not.

There needs to be a salary cap so that small to mid-market teams can compete WITHOUT running the enterprise at a loss.

#37 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:12 PM

Giuliani is not a real Yankee Fan

Sounds like a baseball flip-flop. Rudy Giuliani, a lifelong New York Yankees fan, said Tuesday he's pulling for their most hated rivals, the Boston Red Sox, to win the World Series over the Colorado Rockies.

"I'm rooting for the Red Sox," the Republican presidential contender said in response to a question, sparking applause at the Boston restaurant where he was picking up a local endorsement.

"I'm an American League fan, and I go with the American League team, maybe with the exception of the Mets," he said. "Maybe that would be the one time I wouldn't because I'm loyal to New York."

Typical politician.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#38 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:20 PM

Typical politician.

A FRAUD.

#39 nmadd

nmadd

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:16 AM

Typical politician.

Man, I love the Daily News and the Post. This is front page!

#40 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,924 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:44 PM

I will never understand fans that will root for their conference, ESPECIALLY when it is a team that is DESPISED...I can A$$URE you..if the Jet$, Dolphin$ or the Pat$ make the SB..I hope they get their a$$e$ handed to them!!!!!

Truly, The Anti-Regier

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users