#21 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:45 AM

A-Rod is made for Lo$ Angele$

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#22 metallidevils

metallidevils

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:48 AM

i'm really digging the mets infield next season - castillo at first, wright 2nd, arod 3rd, reyes SS

edit: and posada catching

Edited by metallidevils, 29 October 2007 - 11:48 AM.

"We had our chances. But Martin Brodeur is a hell of a player."
Posted Image
Posted Image of "It's a power play goal! F*** you Sam Rosen!"

#23 brodeurrocks

brodeurrocks

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:54 AM

the Giants? (Replace Bonds)
the Cubs? (Pinella likes him)

still..a total douche move to not wait a few HOURS and let the Red Sox have their moment, but have to get it announced DURING the game right???

He'll break every record in the book and while Bonds gets stigma for steroids... A-Rod till forever have the stigma of being the biggest choke "Superstar" of all time...but hey I guess $35 mil a year buys a lotta tickets for the World Series :P

That it what bothered me. You don't have to like the Red Sox but at least have the class to let the dust settle before trying to steal the spotlight. I appreciate what a great athlete he is but A-Rod makes me wonder sometimes.

Posted Image

Official Keeper of David Clarkson's Open Ice Hits!

Official Keeper of the stains on Chico's shirt and tie from "Chico Eats" episodes!

#24 NJayDevil

NJayDevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:29 PM

Sad sh!t.

His talent makes him so much fun to watch. But to announce his opting out during a game where the biggest rival is about to win another championship and without even sitting down with the team to discuss anything, then goodbye. I guess it really is all about him and he doesn't give two sh!ts about the team he plays for. There's absolutely no one out there that can replace him, but if this is how he really is then it's best he isn't here. Just don't replace him with Mike Lowell, no more Red Sox rejects playing in pinstripes.

And I really hope the Yanks stick by their word and don't go after him. That would be very weak and even more embarrassment to a very embarrassing year. The next time he steps foot into Yankee Stadium will be the first time I ever boo the man. It will be very, very deserved then.
Official Keeper of Little G
New Jersey Devils|3|New York Yankees|27|New York Giants|3|Penn State|4|
"They are the loudest and most loyal students in the country. They call this place Happy Valley?
That's an understatement tonight. This is definitely the best place on Earth. I have seen Paternoville,
I have seen these students...there is nothing like this in the country."

-ESPN College Gameday
"We cannot rank Penn State University against other schools
in the party school category because we feel it is unfair to
rank professionals against amateurs."

-Playboy Magazine
"You're driving along with nothing and then it's like
cow... cow... cow... 20,000 hot chicks!
That's Penn State."

-Jon Stewart

#25 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 01:02 PM

The next time he steps foot into Yankee Stadium will be the first time I ever boo the man. It will be very, very deserved then.

WELL-DESERVED. It wasn't that long ago when he said he wanted to retire a Yankee.

Edited by Jerrydevil, 29 October 2007 - 01:04 PM.

#26 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,209 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:00 PM

Quite honestly I find the Yankees' protesting over and over again about not negotiating with A-Rod a bit of hot air at this point. They said the same things about not giving in on Clemens' 'family plan' and what happened, they eventually gave Clemens Fort Knox and begged him to come back for half a season.

But Bora$$ is even more of a jerk than I give him credit for. It's not as if A-Rod opting out isn't going to be big news no matter what, but he just HAS to announce it during the World Series, managing to upstage BOTH the Red Sox and the Yankees (with their manager search) in one fell swoop. It's neck and neck as to who has the biggest ego in sports this week, Bora$$ or Belicheat.

Edited by Hasan4978, 29 October 2007 - 04:04 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#27 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:03 PM

He is a Boras client. Boras thinks a team will offer him an extra penny and that is good enough. He will go to Anaheim and swat homers in obscurity.

As for the Yankees there is no way to spin this into a positive - unless you are one of those Yankee fans who obsess over the payroll (personally I don't think it was high enough this year since they did not win). You don't just replace A-Rod's numbers. Not only that but it takes their only right handed power threat out of the mix. The Yankees, theoretically, can have a lineup with 8 lefties and Jeter next year. That is not good.

I don't want that steroid freak Lowell but there is not much else available at 3B.

They better not make him a free agent offer. He clearly does not want to be here. Don't do him any favors.
"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#28 SteveStevens

SteveStevens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:14 PM

Im a met fan, and honeslty for the yankees, its better if Arod leaves. You dont need a player, you need pitching, save your money for that.

#29 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:17 PM

You don't just replace A-Rod's numbers. Not only that but it takes their only right handed power threat out of the mix.

And that's potentially a huge problem, like you say.

#30 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,478 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:22 PM

Im a met fan, and honeslty for the yankees, its better if Arod leaves. You dont need a player, you need pitching, save your money for that.

I'm a Mets fan as well but I think the Yanks should just let their 3 young guys take their lumps next season rather than spend to bring in a mediocre pitcher. Pitching on the free agent market is insane so I think a team with 3 guys with good potential should just let them grow. They're all good enough to pitch in the majors and if the Yanks let them get experience 1 or 2 of them should be at a level where they can be good in the post season.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#31 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,970 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:47 PM

Edgar Renteria has been traded to the Detroit Tigers...I do not recall seeing deals like this the day AFTER a World Series and the timing is somewhat interesting given the A-Rod announcement, maybe Atlanta, a team is desperate need of a big ticket item, makes the plunge?

DETROIT (AP) -- The Detroit Tigers addressed one of their biggest needs Monday, acquiring shortstop Edgar Renteria from the Atlanta Braves for two prospects.

Renteria batted .332 in 124 games with the Braves this year, finishing with 12 homers and 57 RBIs. Detroit went into the offseason needing to add a shortstop after deciding to shift Carlos Guillen to first base.

The Tigers gave up right-hander Jair Jurrjens, who showed signs of promise last season, and minor league outfielder Gorkys Hernandez.

"We are excited to add an All-Star-caliber shortstop in Edgar Renteria to the Tigers organization," Detroit president and general manager Dave Dombrowski said in a statement. "Edgar is a quality player, proven winner and tremendous leader that solidifies our infield."

It was the first major trade for new Braves GM Frank Wren, who took over when John Schuerholz stepped aside this month to become team president.

Renteria, a five-time All-Star, has a .291 career batting average over 12 seasons. The deal reunites him with Detroit manager Jim Leyland, who was in charge when Renteria and the Marlins won the World Series in 1997.

"Edgar is a premier major league player that is a great fit for our club," Leyland said. "I have a great history with him and I'm looking forward to being reunited with him."

Jurrjens started seven games for the Tigers this year, going 3-1 record and 4.70 ERA. Hernandez batted .293 with four homers and 50 RBIs for Single-A West Michigan this season.

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#32 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:56 PM

Good news, sounds like Cashman is serious about not joining the bidding war for A-Fraud:

http://yankees.lohudblogs.com/

I received a message from Scott Boras last night informing me that Alex Rodriguez formally opted out of the final three seasons of his contract. We always understood that it was his contractual right to do so.

We expressed our interest in keeping him in pinstripes, and requested the opportunity to convey those feelings to him directly with the Steinbrenner family in an open, face-to-face dialogue.

Alex was a key part of our success over the last four seasons, and I appreciate having the opportunity to work with him. I wish Alex, Cynthia and their growing family the best of luck in the future. I only wish we could have raised a championship trophy together during his time here, which was the ultimate goal we all shared.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#33 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,970 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:08 PM

Good news, sounds like Cashman is serious about not joining the bidding war for A-Fraud:

http://yankees.lohudblogs.com/

I received a message from Scott Boras last night informing me that Alex Rodriguez formally opted out of the final three seasons of his contract. We always understood that it was his contractual right to do so.

We expressed our interest in keeping him in pinstripes, and requested the opportunity to convey those feelings to him directly with the Steinbrenner family in an open, face-to-face dialogue.

Alex was a key part of our success over the last four seasons, and I appreciate having the opportunity to work with him. I wish Alex, Cynthia and their growing family the best of luck in the future. I only wish we could have raised a championship trophy together during his time here, which was the ultimate goal we all shared.

:dance:

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#34 njdevils783

njdevils783

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:30 PM

A-rod looks like the biggest a$$hole in all of sports. His reasoning behind leaving is absolute bullsh!t. He signed with the Texas Rangers for 10 years and that team blew. Now all of a sudden he is worried about the direction of the Yankees with their different free agents. What a joke. I've lost all respect for the guy and it's really a shame since I've been a fan of his since he and Jeter came up.
Posted Image

#35 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:41 PM

Hank Steinbrenner's statement:

http://www.nytimes.c...amp;oref=slogin

Its a shame, Hank Steinbrenner, who is now running the Yankees, said late Sunday night. But we are all in agreement: myself, my dad, my brother, all the baseball people. If you dont want to be a Yankee and paid what youre being paid, we dont want you, thats the bottom line. Youd be hard-pressed to argue that point. If you dont understand the magnitude of being a Yankee and understand what that means, and being the highest-paid player in baseball, I think its pretty obvious.

Does he want to go into the Hall of Fame as a Yankee, Steinbrenner said, or a Toledo Mud Hen?

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#36 harpua19

harpua19

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:41 PM

Where you think he will wind up?
"We're coming to your town
We'll help you party down!"

#37 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:28 PM

I'm wondering which team will be ABLE to sign this guy.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Chocolate + Devil = My life

#38 E-Devil

E-Devil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 05:27 PM

Wouldn't it be really funny if nobody wanted his insane salary and ended up having to take a pay cut. But I doubt that would ever happen, some team is going to pay out that ass for that spoiled brat.
"Playing with him now, I have an even greater respect for him," center Joe Nieuwendyk said of Stevens. "He's a true captain. He's a leader."

#39 XxLancerHockeyPridexX

XxLancerHockeyPridexX

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 06:23 AM

This team is just ripping at the seams.

Does he want to go into the Hall of Fame as a Yankee, Steinbrenner said, or a Toledo Mud Hen?

:giggle: Touche.
Now you trust me, I carry that so tight
I'll be there for you, if your wrong or your right
It doesn't matter, just reach out to me
I will never question, any opportunity to show you
And prove to you that I care, always you share and you've always been there
Your my best friend, it's easy to see
No matter how bad things in life can be..
...You've always got me...
Joshua James(06/20/08)

#40 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 05:53 PM

Looks like A-Fraud may make a return to the Yankees:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

http://arod.mlb.com/...sp?story=111407

"An official statement from A-Rod - he and his wife spoke with the Steinbrenners today. Contract talks are expected to continue and it looks positive. I'm also getting emailers from readers who have heard from John Sterling, Yankees radio announcer. Sterling apparently has a source close to Rodriguez saying that the chance of A-Rod re-signing is 101 on a scale of 1 to 100. "
------------------
I am really disappointed that the Yankees are even entertaining A-Fraud. They should tell him to go to hell but it looks like they are being extremely weak. If this guy ends up back on the Yankees there is no way I would cheer for him. He is talented but he is also a pretty, rich boy, who chokes in the playoffs. If he ends up back on the Yankees then I will boo him every chance I get regardless of his performance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users