73 replies to this topic

#41 njdevils783

njdevils783

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 06:26 PM

Yea seems that according to all the local media the deal is about done and A-Rod is going to return for around 275 million. Gotta love the fact that Boris was banned from the negotiations by the yankees. In the end its a good move on both parts if it happens. Arod can begin rebuilding his image by taking less money and choosing to go back to New York and now the Yankees dont have to worry about trading away all their young stars for a 3rd basemen.
Posted Image

#42 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 08:13 PM

and all the yank fans who called him the lint in their ass crack? welcome back assrod we didnt mean it ?
OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS - ITS AN A-BOMB FROM ASS ROD
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten. "Starbuck, what do you hear? ... Nothing but the rain...

"Look for my coming, at first light on the fifth day, at dawn, look to the East"

"I have the libido of a 15-year-old boy. " - Megan Fox

- Proud njdevs keeper of the Boss' Sold Out banner at the CAA -

#43 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,435 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 01:38 AM

please, not lowell. please not another horrendous signing based on a lucky year.

alex rodriguez is pure vanity - i get the sense that when you make as much money as alex does, it's not about money anymore - it's about being #1. there's still a chance he signs with the yankees - it's entirely possible that brian cashman was bluffing. boras is calling that bluff. now the yankees wait for the market to appear for a-rod, and swoop in with an offer if there's no one who wants his absurd asking price.

yeah this is basically what happened. the yankees need a-rod. it was him or barry bonds, or they would be choosing to look up at dustin pedroia, josh beckett, and the rest of the gay sox next season.

Edited by Triumph, 15 November 2007 - 01:41 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#44 Vinnie

Vinnie

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:23 AM

I'm not crazy about A-Rod but when you get down to it, who would you rather have (realistically) playing 3rd and batting clean-up? There's no cap and it ain't my money...spend away.

#45 Nature's Minister

Nature's Minister

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 05:17 AM

Olney is saying between 220 million and 230 million. Who knows.
Is that a Japanese configuration?

#46 Kicksave Brodeur!!

Kicksave Brodeur!!

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:45 PM

Congrats to all the stankee fans! The curse of "A"-ROD continues! Wow does your front office looks like fools or what?

#47 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 01:25 PM

Wow does your front office looks like fools or what?

First off... not a Yankee fan here....
and if you ask me the only guy who looks like a fool in this one (FINALLY).. Mister Borus.. the greedy douche weasel who thought he had the world on his shoulders just got OWNED by his star client :evil:
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#48 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 01:56 PM

Should this go down the Yankees front office looks awesome. They tamed Boras something that was thought impossible by a lot of people. They stuck to their guns, they did not chase A-Rod after he opted out. Alex came crawling back and, it appears, accepted the Yankees terms. If they had come running after A-Rod and offered him $350M or whatever then they would have looked foolish. As it is playing out they look brilliant.
"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#49 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 02:04 PM

They stuck to their guns, they did not chase A-Rod after he opted out. Alex came crawling back and, it appears, accepted the Yankees terms. If they had come running after A-Rod and offered him $350M or whatever then they would have looked foolish. As it is playing out they look brilliant.

I guess you can choose to look at it that way. I think good-bye was the best option. Boras might have been humbled, but the A-Rod circus will continue, and his post-season record still hangs ominously ... and hopefully that will continue until he is 42 or whenever his contract runs out.

Next up for Yankees: a Giambi extension. :boogie:

Edited by Jerrydevil, 15 November 2007 - 03:04 PM.

#50 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,899 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 02:31 PM

I guess you can choose to look at it that way. I think good-bye was the best option. Boras might have been humbled, but the A-Rod circus will continue, and his post-season record still hangs ominously ... and hopefully that will continue until he is 42 or whenever his contrat runs out.

I do rather enjoy how the NYC tabloids have suddenly dropped the "0-for-27 with runners on base in the playoffs since 2004" stat that they suddenly discovered last week now that this news has come up. Funny how that works.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#51 Nature's Minister

Nature's Minister

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 03:25 PM

A-rod did better than the whole Mets' team in the playoffs this past season.

I still don't really like him, however.

#52 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 07:53 PM

I guess you can choose to look at it that way. I think good-bye was the best option. Boras might have been humbled, but the A-Rod circus will continue, and his post-season record still hangs ominously ... and hopefully that will continue until he is 42 or whenever his contract runs out.

I agree that good-bye was the best option. A-Rod isn't ever going to do jacksh!t in the postseason.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#53 Nature's Minister

Nature's Minister

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:35 PM

he's a stupid moneyhungry jerk but he's still a great ballplayer. the last few postseasons are pretty much the very definition of a small sample size and i don't know how you can weigh them more heavily than the fantastic ones he had prior.

Edited by Nature's Minister, 15 November 2007 - 08:47 PM.

#54 westcoastdevfan

westcoastdevfan

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:38 PM

I've never seen a more bitter bunch of a-holes. A-Rod was the Yankees best bet. They have Posada back and can keep their young arms. If they can land a guy like Santana and maybe a solid Center fielder the Yanks are set.

A side note: The Red Sox fans on this board can be as cocky as they want because they have the best team. The Mets fans on this board continually come off as childish and if you ask me, a bit insecure. It has to be hard being known as the other team in New York. Long live the days of prostitutes, booze and coke on the team flight! :rolleyes:
Posted ImageOF LOU'S SACRED KOOL-AID!
Follow me on Twitter @westcoastdevfan
Check me out at dekingdevils.com

#55 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:37 PM

A-Rod was the Yankees best bet. They have Posada back and can keep their young arms. If they can land a guy like Santana and maybe a solid Center fielder the Yanks are set.

Just another shopping trip at the grocery store, eh? Paper or plastic?

#56 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,435 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 02:06 AM

I agree that good-bye was the best option. A-Rod isn't ever going to do jacksh!t in the postseason.

right, like that series against Minnesota for the Yankees where he was terrible. A-Rod will produce in the postseason - if not for the Yankees, then somewhere else.

After this year's playoffs, Yankee fans should look at Jeter as the choker - he was awful.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#57 Nature's Minister

Nature's Minister

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 03:19 AM

Jeter's knee was pretty messed up at that point iirc.

#58 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:55 AM

Arod just got 10 years, 275 million, and people are talking like HE and Boras got hosed by the lack of a market. 275 million dollars???? thats ridiculous. Long live a dysfunctional yankee clubhouse.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#59 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:02 AM

right, like that series against Minnesota for the Yankees where he was terrible. A-Rod will produce in the postseason - if not for the Yankees, then somewhere else.

After this year's playoffs, Yankee fans should look at Jeter as the choker - he was awful.

I don't like A-Rod's personality and image, so I don't really care if I treat him fairly or unfairly. He is the one making tons of money and has to put up with criticism, its part of it. I really have no faith in A-Rod ever producing. He is mentally weak and lets the little things get to him, then builds up pressure on himself. Sure, Jeter choked but he has done a helluva lot more than A-Rod is ever will for Yankee fans. He can get a pass.

First, the bad Posada contract, now this. This offseason is going pretty horrible so far.

EDIT: Hell this offseason sucks, even Jeter is in trouble with the law because of tax evasion.

Edited by thefiestygoat, 16 November 2007 - 10:07 AM.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#60 njdevils783

njdevils783

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:43 AM

I really never understood why fans get so upset with the money thing. To most teams the posada and a-rod contracts are ridiculous but to the Yankees they wont even feel it. I mean they make the money for salary back in ticket sales alone. They sell out tons of games I mean were not talkinga bout the Devils here. Then add in the concessions, merchandise, and now the multi billion dollar yes network and its just a drop in the hat. They play by the rules of the game and its good for TV.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users