44 replies to this topic

#41 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 04:07 PM

Something else ironic about it, this is the same Shula that a lot of Jet fans will never forgive for the way he monkeyed around with the field in '82 (conveniently forgetting or misplacing the tarp during a rainy week to slop up the field and blunt the Jets' speed advantage before the AFC Championship).

I personally think too much was made of that since the Fins had beaten the Jets twice already that season...but a lot of Jet fans still harbor a big grudge at him for unfairly broadening the definition of home field advantage.

And as much of a Patriot-hater (rather Belichick and Kraft hater) as I am, I wouldn't put an asterisk by the 16-0...they were caught red-handed and punished after one half of one game which they would have still won by 20 if the JETS were videotaping THEM :rolleyes:

I 'will' put an asterisk by the other three titles but not anything they did this year. Unless they do something else and get caught like say, tampering with other teams' audio.

Edited by Hasan4978, 09 November 2007 - 04:11 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#42 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,856 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 05:16 PM

And me buying a baseball almanac and putting an asterisk by the Barry Bonds home run record does jack sh!t for the world at large. It means absolute squat.

The very fact that fans of other teams used to call 1995 "Half a Cup" I wore as a badge of honour as it was bore out of their jealousy. I'll do the same here.
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#43 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:34 PM

And me buying a baseball almanac and putting an asterisk by the Barry Bonds home run record does jack sh!t for the world at large. It means absolute squat.

The very fact that fans of other teams used to call 1995 "Half a Cup" I wore as a badge of honour as it was bore out of their jealousy. I'll do the same here.

You're honestly comparing one team that played by the same rules as everyone else and won to another that skirted around the rules to win?

Edited by Hasan4978, 09 November 2007 - 08:35 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#44 njdevils783

njdevils783

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:51 PM

You're honestly comparing one team that played by the same rules as everyone else and won to another that skirted around the rules to win?

See its all in the eye of the beholder. When its your team you won't question it. Those were the rules of that season and that season only so really by that standard how can you compare it to the wins of any other championship year?
Posted Image

#45 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 10:12 PM

See its all in the eye of the beholder. When its your team you won't question it. Those were the rules of that season and that season only so really by that standard how can you compare it to the wins of any other championship year?

agree 100%

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users