thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,287 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:14 AM

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

"Posada has his deal: 4 years/$52 million"

"Rivera was in the Dominican Republic today but is supposedly on his way home. I would expect his deal to get done in the next 24-36 hours."
-------------------
I am really happy to have Posada back but on the other hand I don't like this deal. I really thought 3 years was excessive but necessary to get him to sign, so having to shell out 4 years is insane. Hopefully he can continue to defy the odds and play well but I won't get my hopes up. Oh well, welcome back Jorge and teach the young pitchers a lot over the next 4 years!

EDIT: Jose Molina agrees to a two year deal according to WFAN.
-----
This is the first good news of the offseason, he was a solid backup catcher, something they needed for years, awesome news.

Edited by thefiestygoat, 16 November 2007 - 10:10 AM.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#2 SteveStevens

SteveStevens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:28 AM

Thats an insane contract, im a met fan but im happy to see him return to the Yankees.

#3 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 01:30 AM

Good to see the Yanks bringing back the geezers. Go Sox!!!!

#4 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,790 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 01:35 AM

I don't think the Yankees' intention is to have Posada play catcher for all 4 of those years. It's still a nutty deal but given the market, the Yankees had to pay that.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#5 njdevils783

njdevils783

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:58 AM

Wow Torre leaving must have really put their jewels in a vice because this contract is absoutly insane. I mean can we really expect him to repeat on his numbers from last season? He's already past the age where catchers begin to decline so how much can we expect from him on the back 2 back end years of this contract.
Posted Image

#6 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,287 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:39 PM

I don't think the Yankees' intention is to have Posada play catcher for all 4 of those years. It's still a nutty deal but given the market, the Yankees had to pay that.

Regardless of where he plays I am worried about how his body will hold up. At some point his age will catch up with all those grueling years of being a catcher.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#7 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,505 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 01:17 PM

What position will Posada play that would make him worthwhile in 2 years? I doubt he hits well enough to be a first baseman or DH and be worthwhile making that money.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#8 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,790 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:58 PM

What position will Posada play that would make him worthwhile in 2 years? I doubt he hits well enough to be a first baseman or DH and be worthwhile making that money.

No, but given the other catchers on the market this year, the Yankees are prepared to overpay for his 2-3 years worth of catching services to receive league average 1B or DH play at the end of the contract.

The Yankees front office has to know that last year was incredibly lucky for Jorge Posada, and he'd be lucky to have a .280 BA next season.

#9 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 04:15 PM

Again with luck Tri? Baseball is not all about luck. It is an awful contract but Posada had the Yankees over a barrel and he knew it. This is where the lack of position prospects hurts the Yankees. It's all well and good to have lots of pitching prospects but you can't win games 0-0. One of the side effects of having a pitching heavy minor league system is that you have to overpay either in talent in a trade or dollars/years in a contract to bring back hitters.
"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#10 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,790 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 01:36 AM

Again with luck Tri? Baseball is not all about luck. It is an awful contract but Posada had the Yankees over a barrel and he knew it. This is where the lack of position prospects hurts the Yankees. It's all well and good to have lots of pitching prospects but you can't win games 0-0. One of the side effects of having a pitching heavy minor league system is that you have to overpay either in talent in a trade or dollars/years in a contract to bring back hitters.

Posada's batting average last year was luck.

Here's his BAs the last 5 years:

You really think a 35 year old finally figured out how to hit major league pitching? he'll be lucky to hit .290 next year.

#11 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,287 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:11 AM

Updated first post to include Molina signing for 2 years. Figured it wasn't worthy of its own thread so I put it here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users