Help the Devils fill The Rock

felix

Your proposal isn't much different than what the Flyers actually do now. Flyers season ticket holders can use their tickets as a debit card, it's basically what you proposed. You can read about it here...

http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app/?service=pa...ge&id=18151

Also where are you finding out that fans play golf if you can only use the debit card at the prudential center? Are the Devils sending out questionnaires asking fans what other sports they play?

Edited by Satans Hockey

First, I think its a good piece of work. much research was obviously done. However, from a business consulting standpoint, I have to offer a few thoughts.

I feel like the suggested solution was already predetermined prior to writing the report. There are other ways to generate fan loyalty/interest though they were not discussed. You basically say that these are the issues and this is the solution. Well, why is this the only solution? There was a couple of examples given of a successful implementation of such a plan in other sports, and the two NHL examples you did cite (Nashville and Chicago) have had lukewarm successes at best, bordering on failure. Have you been to a Black Hawks game recently? It's no better than our rink.

There was no analysis of the costs of this proposal to the team, nor its expected financial payoff. Now. I realize that you probably weren't privvy to those details, but it would give more meat to your proposed solution. You should also review the standard deviation of results from your proposal and other potential solutions. There is a cost to everything and an expected payout that should fall within a couple of standard deviations from the mean, It would then be the team's job to determine if they wanted to take the risk of implementing a solution.

Good work for a college project. More to be done if you are serious about submitting this to the organization.

Edited by section 110

Great, I do all this work, all this research, and the Flyers already beat me to it. Seriously though, I realize there's a lot more meat that would need to go into something like this if I were to expect a meeting with Jeff Vanderbeek, which I don't. I was limited to 15 pages of text for this project. Believe me, I could have written a thesis on this. There is a lot of research on fan loyalty programs and using CRM in sports.

I feel like the suggested solution was already predetermined prior to writing the report. There are other ways to generate fan loyalty/interest though they were not discussed. You basically say that these are the issues and this is the solution. Well, why is this the only solution?

You feel like the suggested solution was predetermined because it was. My professor did not ask us to pontificate about all possible solutions, that's easy. What's hard is to come up with a solution and defend it. You ask why is this the only solution. Please find where I said it's the only possible solution. It's just what I came up with, and like I said before, I was limited to 15 pages of text for this.

There was no analysis of the cvosts of this proposal to the team, nor its expected financial payoff. Now. I realize that you probably weren't privy to those details, but it would give more meat to your proposed solution. You should also review the standard deviation of results from your proposal and other potential solutions. There is a cost to everything and an expected payout that should fall within a couple of standard deviations from the mean, It would then be the team's job to determine if they wanted to take the risk of implementing a solution.

Once again, no kidding. I'd love to be able to analyze the costs and financial payoff, standard deviation blah blah blah, but as you pointed out I'm not privy to all details, I've never purchased enterprise level CRM software before, and never implemented it. I'm just an MBA student looking for an A.

The Predators and Blackhawks examples were not inserted to show that they have successful loyalty programs. Their attendance records have generally been even lower than the Devils. But they have good ideas that can help bring in revenue. The Devils business model may place more emphasis on bringing in revenue than bringing in fans. So they may be happy with 80% attendance if the revenue is being made up by partnerships with sponsors.

Satan's Hockey asked about the golf question. When you sign up for the Predators program, they ask three questions such as: What do you like to do in your spare time? That's how they found out most of their fans play golf.

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat; who strives valiantly; who errs and may fail again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who does know the great enthusiasm, the great devotion; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

- Theodore Roosevelt