39 replies to this topic

#21 langsgirl

langsgirl

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,684 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:42 PM

People can have a hobby... some people dont have time to Start a band. They have other careers that they love. And playing music maybe is somehing they like but dont have time to do regularly.

I dont really see the difference between me playing music in front of a tv or hearing some local band play those same songs at a bar. They play real instruments and sing the same songs that I twice ever played in front of the tv with friends... they do it for a living.. but I have a different job...so I guess I dont see the harm in having fun on occasion, or being in a cover band as a career.

I dont own any video game systems.. not since the original Nintendo when I was a kid.. but I dont see why playing for fun is so bad. Ive played video game systems 3 times in the past year.. and dont find it to be some huge problem.

Edited by langsgirl, 03 December 2007 - 04:43 PM.

Tim O'Connor(my favorite F LIST celeb :) ) :
"Do people still do birthday parties at McDonalds? Like does Ronald McDonald still show up? Whatever happened to Grimace? Do they still run the Hamburgular? They were a hit back in the day. The Hamburgular, Grimace, who else?"
Rob Brink(My favorite writer): "Mayor McCheese."

Tim O'Connor
: Mayor McCheese, oh my God! Holy sh!t how did you remember that?

Rob Brink : [color="purple"]"He was wearing a tuxedo and his head was a fvckin

#22 InstantOatmeal

InstantOatmeal

Draft Pick

• Suspended
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:45 PM

I dont really see the difference between me playing music in front of a tv or hearing some local band play those same songs at a bar.

This is an increasing problem in America.

They play real instruments and sing the same songs that I twice ever played in front of the tv with friends

I suggest you go see some bands that play original songs......
Do your live music experiences consist mostly of wedding bands or something?

#23 langsgirl

langsgirl

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,684 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:46 PM

Well thats as far off as possible as I have been to hundreds upon hundreds of concerts starting back when I was in 4th grade. Original....
but at local bars and clubs here, 90% of the time, they are playing covers all night or playing a bunch of them.

I just think your logic is all off.

I think if you said.. America should not allow kids too play video games as much as they do... then id be like I agree...
but I dont agree that adults cant play a game on occasion in some free time. Its like playing a board game, or Poker..all things we do in the limited free tme we have with our friends at this stage in life.

Edited by langsgirl, 03 December 2007 - 04:49 PM.

"Do people still do birthday parties at McDonalds? Like does Ronald McDonald still show up? Whatever happened to Grimace? Do they still run the Hamburgular? They were a hit back in the day. The Hamburgular, Grimace, who else?"

Tim O'Connor

#24 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,518 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:47 PM

Me and my friends had 2 free hours on Saturday night, so we all formed a band, bought instruments, learned instruments, got a manager, booked a performance, played a show at a bar...all within those 2 hours. B )
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#25 SteveStevens

SteveStevens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:49 PM

I already play a real instrument, play at local cofeeshops, certified to give lessons and give 12 lessons weekly etc. I 4m 7h3 pwnerz.

#26 langsgirl

langsgirl

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,684 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:51 PM

Me and my friends had 2 free hours on Saturday night, so we all formed a band, bought instruments, learned instruments, got a manager, booked a performance, played a show at a bar...all within those 2 hours. B )

You could totally play at a bar - oooh that stage presense :)

I already play a real instrument, play at local cofeeshops, certified to give lessons and give 12 lessons weekly etc. I 4m 7h3 pwnerz.

So do you think we shouldnt play Rock Band or Guitar Hero for fun?

Just curious since you play out and are certified and learned the instrument etc... if your opinion is the same as the other poster or different.

And believe me..Im all for kids learning music and to play, because really my favorite thing to do is listen to music...pretty much my whole life, but I dont get why a game like such is so bad. :)

Tim O'Connor

#27 InstantOatmeal

InstantOatmeal

Draft Pick

• Suspended
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:54 PM

You could totally play at a bar - oooh that stage presense :)
So do you think we shouldnt play Rock Band or Guitar Hero for fun?

Just curious since you play out and are certified and learned the instrument etc... if your opinion is the same as the other poster or different.

And believe me..Im all for kids learning music and to play, because really my favorite thing to do is listen to music...pretty much my whole life, but I dont get why a game like such is so bad. :)

You know what youre right....Im barking up the wrong tree, because if I actually inspired one of you to form a band you would just cover oasis and coldplay songs anyway. :lol:

Edited by InstantOatmeal, 03 December 2007 - 04:55 PM.

#28 SteveStevens

SteveStevens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:56 PM

i love playing rockband and guitar hero, its alot of fun. I dont see any problem with it.

You know what youre right....Im barking up the wrong tree, because if I actually inspired one of you to form a band you would just cover oasis and coldplay songs anyway. :lol:

what do you suggest we play mr.oatmeal

#29 langsgirl

langsgirl

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,684 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:58 PM

i love playing rockband and guitar hero, its alot of fun. I dont see any problem with it.

Sorry - I should ahve gone back to the first page where you mentioned playing it a lot :)

I too find it enjoyable.. just like Im sure people who can and cant play sport and who are already on a team or arent, enjoy playing sports games on gaming systems.

Tim O'Connor

#30 SteveStevens

SteveStevens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:03 PM

I think its a great idea, its not like everyone can just pick up a guitar learn to play and sing and be a good musician or even have the resources too. I thank my mom for getting me into it when i was 11 or 12 and ive played since, im truly blessed to have my mom influence me in a positive way like that, and to help me with funds to get equipment.

The game is like 100, expensive for a game but everyone love music, there isnt a problem with anyone picking it up and playing as much as they want, its fun, its clean, better then kids doing drugs and other stuff.

I know what goes on with kids my age, im 18 and a high school senior, video games arent nearly as bad as what most kids do at this age. I might be differant since im one of the few straightedge teenagers, but my overall opinion on the game is great for entertainment.

#31 InstantOatmeal

InstantOatmeal

Draft Pick

• Suspended
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:05 PM

what do you suggest we play mr.oatmeal

A song that you wrote. As in, not someone elses song.

And hey, I play hockey, and I love playing NHL 08..The difference to me is that I know I could never be in the NHL.....But if you spend a year really practicing and learning an instrument, youll be good enough to get in a band and play out....which is much more rewarding than playing someone elses sh!t in your living room, you know?

And I have friends that love this game, my one friend Ive seen spend at least an hour or two a day on thie freaking game, and I tell him all the time "if you spent this amount of time learning the acutal guitar, you could play half the songs you learned on 'guitar hero' on a real guitar."
He doesnt care, but I digress.....
For someone in their mid 20s and up I understand how it would not be attractive to learn an instrument, because you work full time, etc....and its easier to learn the game, obviously
But if youre a younger person or a little kid....for example...if I had a 10 year old who was addicted to this game, I would cut him off, and make him learn a real guitar...he would thank me later. or at least make him split video guitar and real guitar time....

This way, you can play all those classic rock songs and whatnot, but the beautiful part is when you make something up yourself and somebody else wants to play what YOU wrote.....

#32 langsgirl

langsgirl

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,684 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:09 PM

A song that you wrote. As in, not someone elses song.

And hey, I play hockey, and I love playing NHL 08..The difference to me is that I know I could never be in the NHL.....But if you spend a year really practicing and learning an instrument, youll be good enough to get in a band and play out....which is much more rewarding than playing someone elses sh!t in your living room, you know?

And I have friends that love this game, my one friend Ive seen spend at least an hour or two a day on thie freaking game, and I tell him all the time "if you spent this amount of time learning the acutal guitar, you could play half the songs you learned on 'guitar hero' on a real guitar."
He doesnt care, but I digress.....
For someone in their mid 20s and up I understand how it would not be attractive to learn an instrument, because you work full time, etc....and its easier to learn the game, obviously
But if youre a younger person or a little kid....for example...if I had a 10 year old who was addicted to this game, I would cut him off, and make him learn a real guitar...he would thank me later. or at least make him split video guitar and real guitar time....

This way, you can play all those classic rock songs and whatnot, but the beautiful part is when you make something up yourself and somebody else wants to play what YOU wrote.....

First off - I didnt say that so I dont know why you have quoted me as saying it....

2nd.... You are saying you know you cant become a professional athlete...well we know we cant become successful professional musicians. You can however, go to the town and join a local sports team... which in my opinion is the equivalent to forming a band and playing local gigs.

A professional athlete who makes millions should be compared to a musician who makes millions and I think most people playing these games dont feel they are gonna make millions as a musician as you are admitting you wont make as an athlete and thats why you play the sports games.

Edited by langsgirl, 03 December 2007 - 05:12 PM.

Tim O'Connor

#33 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • 21,585 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:10 PM

InstantOatmeal already reminds me of TrentonDevils. I wonder...

Edited by RD, 03 December 2007 - 05:11 PM.

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#34 SteveStevens

SteveStevens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:11 PM

Haha i was thinking the same thing.

#35 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,624 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:34 PM

;) :lock:
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#36 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,598 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:38 PM

Wow, how did I miss this nonsense? Probably because I have no interest in this video game!

He even uses pictures to reply...guess he couldn't change that about himself.
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#37 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:50 PM

Okay, my one friend is personally opposed to the concept of Guitar Hero/Rock Band. This has been my logic against him.

Not everyone has the talent to be in a real band. Not everyone has the time, friends or money. Or the patience. But everyone can pick this game up and have fun playing it. It's a really entertaining game no matter how you slice it, and just because it's a "simulation," aren't a lot of good video games? Sports games, racing games, adventure games are all included. It's really fun, it's something different and it's another step toward the inevitable virtual reality type of games to come in the next decade or so.

So that's my two cents.

#38 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 07:43 AM

You know whats even more fun than spending hours learning how to play a virtual instrument?
Spending that time learning how to play a REAL one.

I know how to play a real instrument. I play the skin flute.

You gotta problem? Huh?
"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#39 metallidevils

metallidevils

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 02:17 PM

I played rock band for the first time last night, with two of my friends.

The group experience of rock band far outweighs the group experience of guitar hero.

If all you want one of the games for is solely the guitar, then go with guitar hero - it has better songs, you can actually see the hammerons and pulloffs, the guitar is way better, and overall the experience is better.

if you're going to play in a group, go with rock band. the songs are pretty bad, and the drums are hard, at least for me, but its a lot of fun. the only songs i've even ever heard of are Sandman, Run to the Hills, and Wanted Dead or Alive. I got 99% Vocals on hard for Enter Sandman :)
"We had our chances. But Martin Brodeur is a hell of a player."
Posted Image
Posted Image of "It's a power play goal! F*** you Sam Rosen!"

#40 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:25 AM

http://xkcd.com/359/

0 user(s) are reading this topic