• 6,184 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:36 PM

This place looks to be coming along.

http://www.facebook....100002050934698

I can't seem to find much on Loft 47, the place going in next to EAH
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#242 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:39 AM

Just went to Loft 47 yesterday, Inside was pretty cool. Reminded me of a simpler loungier BCBG. I know I have seen the link for it on wired or here... Oh and the Ale house is supposed to be open next month and a new place opened up on Ferry st (tapas / sushi bar).

#243 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,856 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:48 AM

Just saw this from the comments section on TG's latest post on his blog:

Monday, July 11th at 11:30 a.m. Mayor Booker, Devils Arena Entertainment Chairman Jeff Vanderbeek, and Newark Downtown District Executive Director Anthony McMillan will cut the ribbon to open the new outdoor café at the Prudential Center’s Championship Plaza.

Anyone seen or know anything about this? I can imagine a few cheap tables with a food cart selling over-priced finger food.

#244 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:26 PM

Here's a link to pics from the event.. Seems like it will be a good way for local businesses to get more recognition from the numerous workers in the area.. I know my mom is always looking for a new place to try since she works in that area.. Seems like it's worth checking out

http://www.facebook....496.53184441686

Anyone seen or know anything about this? I can imagine a few cheap tables with a food cart selling over-priced finger food.

For someone who knows nothing about it and is acting on the smallest of first impressions, you seem so optimistic :P

Edited by Colin226, 11 July 2011 - 08:28 PM.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#245 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,856 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:02 PM

Name me a cool thing that is touched in the slightest bit by the devils that meet expectations? Do you really want to go into the devils alley pub?

#246 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:22 PM

Name me a cool thing that is touched in the slightest bit by the devils that meet expectations? Do you really want to go into the devils alley pub?

You make a great point with that, because I'm with you on the pub thing.. But this is more of a "growing the Downtown Newark local business community" than a Devils project.. They're just using Championship Plaza because it looks nice, represents a team that is committed to the future of Newark, and helps local eateries get some exposure to the numerous people who work in that area and maybe don't get out much..

*And yes I do believe I had one or two run on sentences in that paragraph i apologize :giggle:

Edited by Colin226, 13 July 2011 - 11:22 PM.

Posted Image

#247 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,856 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:11 AM

You make a great point with that, because I'm with you on the pub thing.. But this is more of a "growing the Downtown Newark local business community" than a Devils project.. They're just using Championship Plaza because it looks nice, represents a team that is committed to the future of Newark, and helps local eateries get some exposure to the numerous people who work in that area and maybe don't get out much..

*And yes I do believe I had one or two run on sentences in that paragraph i apologize :giggle:

Well until I actually go to the outdoor cafe, I am still reserved in my preliminary judgement based on past experiences.

#248 Copper Kettle

Copper Kettle

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:57 AM

Didn't see this posted, Port 44 is for sale.

Port 44 sale

#249 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,856 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:45 AM

Didn't see this posted, Port 44 is for sale.

Port 44 sale

Hope the new owner can put out a halfway decent food menu.

Beer there is great, but the food not so much.

#250 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:47 AM

Not surprising. It's a killer time to be in that industry and they aren't on Edison so they loose out on arena business with places opening up right next to the arena.

#251 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:34 PM

Not surprising. It's a killer time to be in that industry and they aren't on Edison so they loose out on arena business with places opening up right next to the arena.

For certain. Higher beer quality alone is not going to get it done for that place. They need a better menu (as DM84 said) and a price for drinks that, combined with quality, makes people say that the extra 8 minutes of walking is worth it (those that know it exists that is).
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#252 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,477 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:54 PM

Too bad, I enjoyed grabbing a beer at Port 44 at times. It was on the opposite side of the arena for me though, so we didn't often budget or have the extra time to walk over there. Hopefully someone will like the concept and just tweak what's already going on there.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#253 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:54 AM

Hopefully Sheehan stays on board with whoever buys. The menu may have been lacking, but I definitely enjoyed the brews.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#254 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,856 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:22 AM

Hopefully Sheehan stays on board with whoever buys. The menu may have been lacking, but I definitely enjoyed the brews.

The brews were def good there the couple of times I went. I liked their idea of joining their club where they give you a glass that is a little larger than a pint and when you bring it they charge you the pint price even though you are getting more. Problem is, I do not want to drag a glass from home to go to Port 44 and have it with me during the game.

#255 Copper Kettle

Copper Kettle

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:55 AM

The brews were def good there the couple of times I went. I liked their idea of joining their club where they give you a glass that is a little larger than a pint and when you bring it they charge you the pint price even though you are getting more. Problem is, I do not want to drag a glass from home to go to Port 44 and have it with me during the game.

What? They held the mugs for you.

#256 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,856 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:05 AM

What? They held the mugs for you.

They did? Then I am mistaken but they never indicated that from the postings on facebook and the promos I have seen.

#257 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:27 PM

They did? Then I am mistaken but they never indicated that from the postings on facebook and the promos I have seen.

Yeah they held it for you.. Well the owner never wanted to bring in a chef who knew what he was doing, so word spread quickly that the food was not good..

Look at Triumph in Princeton.. Great beer and great food.. Port 44 was missing one, and it just wasn't worth it to only go there for beer.. I don't have time pre-game (or during lunch) to grab a beer in one spot and food in another.. Hence why I went to Hell's Kitchen, McGovern's, Uber Burger, and Arena Lounge instead.. Hopefully the next owner gets it
Posted Image

#258 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,856 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:51 AM

Yeah they held it for you.. Well the owner never wanted to bring in a chef who knew what he was doing, so word spread quickly that the food was not good..

Look at Triumph in Princeton.. Great beer and great food.. Port 44 was missing one, and it just wasn't worth it to only go there for beer.. I don't have time pre-game (or during lunch) to grab a beer in one spot and food in another.. Hence why I went to Hell's Kitchen, McGovern's, Uber Burger, and Arena Lounge instead.. Hopefully the next owner gets it

Exactly and this is a common theme amongst brewpubs at least in NJ. If they have great beer, the food tends to be weak and vice versa. The only one that consistently have great beer and great food every time I visit has been Long Valley Brew Pub, but that is way out of the way for me. I love Triumph and that will always be my favorite but the food is uneven at times. I can go there one time and the food is great and sometimes I go there and it is average. I never had a bad meal there until a couple months ago where I had the food taken back as it was awful and thank god it is now off the menu (in case you are curious it was the Udon Noodle Bowl).

These brewpubs years ago used to be able to get away with bad food because the novelty of house-brewed beer overshadowed the shortcomings of the kitchen. Now that there are a good dozen brewpubs in NJ and a new one seems to open every couple of years, they now have to make you want to come back and to attract others than the hardcore beer lovers.

#259 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:36 AM

I just got back from a great brew pub in Lancaster (Iron Hill Brewery) and I was happy that the menu was strong (corporate style) and that needs to be the minimum for a place that is going to be charging the same as a Fridays or Houlihans. Port 44 is at this point half done. the interior was bleak and they just never had the food. I haven't eaten at loft on Edison yet but I know that when we go BCBG the food is dependable and that is important.

#260 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,856 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:58 AM

I just got back from a great brew pub in Lancaster (Iron Hill Brewery) and I was happy that the menu was strong (corporate style) and that needs to be the minimum for a place that is going to be charging the same as a Fridays or Houlihans. Port 44 is at this point half done. the interior was bleak and they just never had the food. I haven't eaten at loft on Edison yet but I know that when we go BCBG the food is dependable and that is important.

You are right about the interior at Port 44. It does look bleak and half-done. I hope whoever buys the one share does something about that and the food.

Also when is Edison Ale House opening? Their FB page kept saying end of July and haven't really heard anything since.

Edited by DevsMan84, 01 August 2011 - 10:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users