471 replies to this topic

#121 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:42 PM

Msweet, I don't know if you saw the revitalization thread but what about a permanent Newark link or section for topics like the revitalization, parking, food around the rock or just people looking for suggestions when coming into town.

#122 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:53 AM

Maybe bring something like Heaven/Purgatory back? I know they weren't very active forums, but that's what made them perfect for threads like these ... they never got buried.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#123 QuadeConnolly

QuadeConnolly

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:07 AM

It's been a while since I've posted in this thread, but it's not for lack of eating, that's for sure. Here's an onslaught of eating experiences over the past month or so at some different places, both old and new:

Gyro Hero (Street meat gyro)

Reader Tips Pay Off #1 (Another gyro post)

Soup's On (different soups around the area)

Harvest Happy (salads and wraps)

Neva Goin' Back (Worst/funniest food experience ever)

The Kilkenny's Experiment (Average food, cheap beer)

The Story of Francesca's (Good Italian)

Pumpkin Spice vs Pumpkin Spice (TM Ward coffee or Brick City coffee?)

Happy reading!

#124 cj241

cj241

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:19 AM

I'm glad you highlighted Francesca's. I was just going to come in here and post about it. I thought it was phenomenal and the garlic bread is to die for! And yes, it's mostly known for takeout.

Edited by cj241, 08 January 2010 - 10:21 AM.

#125 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:29 PM

Quade,

You really have to take on the "steak on a tile" at Fernandez Steakhouse...absolutetly worth it.

#126 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,468 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:32 PM

That steak sandwich at Neva's just looks brutally awful.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#127 NJTank99

NJTank99

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:32 AM

I recommend going to McWhorter's they have great ribs for $5.
ALL-TIME Wins
Martin Brodeur 595

ALL-TIME Shuouts
Martin Brodeur 108

#128 QuadeConnolly

QuadeConnolly

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I've been to Fernandes a few times, though its never been covered in Glocally. I am in love with everything about that place form the sangria down to the rodizio. Conversely, I don't care for McWhorters. At all. Part of it is that meat on a bone is too much a pain in the ass, and the other part is that I simply don't think it's anything to write home about.

Meanwhile, I've been exploring the University Street area by Rutgers, and here's a couple places that were worthwhile:

University Cafe (Gyros)

Robert's Pizza

#129 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,944 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:52 PM

I recently read a small writeup on Fornos, on NJ Monthly's website. What's everyone's opinion of Fornos?

With regard to Fernandes, can I catch the trolley by that restaurant to go to the game and then back to my car afterward? ... Or more generally speaking, how easy is it to park and eat in the Ironbound section and take the trolley to the game and back afterward?

#130 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:49 PM

95 I have yet to use the trolley so I can't speak to it's convience but I have seen the route. I would say that you still need to walk 6 blocks from where they say the trolley stops to get to Fernandez and you may be better off drive there and taking the trolley back and forth...just an option.

As for Fornos, my parents love it adn it's one of the first places I ever went to in the Ironbound. I would say it's great for a family dinner and attracts a huge birthday crowd so thats pretty much the Fri and Saturday atmosphere. Oh and I should mention you do fornos for the seafood.

Also, have we given it any thought to making these Newark related items into one thread...like the Purgatory or maybe just an Around Hell section. I just notices another newark related thread pop up and it always brings me to that.

#131 J0llyR0ger

J0llyR0ger

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:23 PM

I haven't read the thread so sorry if this was posted, but has anyone ever been to Altas Horas in the Portuguese section? It's like a 10-15 minute walk from the Rock, pretty small little place but really awesome CHEAP food.

I got something called "Da Hora", it's a burger patty, sirloin steak patty, chicken breast, bacon, ham, corn, mayo, potato sticks. I think that's it, anyways it was pretty intense, and all for only 8 bucks. (Most other sandwiches are like 4-5$ bucks for a pretty good side.)
Posted Image

#132 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:25 PM

I haven't read the thread so sorry if this was posted, but has anyone ever been to Altas Horas in the Portuguese section? It's like a 10-15 minute walk from the Rock, pretty small little place but really awesome CHEAP food.

I got something called "Da Hora", it's a burger patty, sirloin steak patty, chicken breast, bacon, ham, corn, mayo, potato sticks. I think that's it, anyways it was pretty intense, and all for only 8 bucks. (Most other sandwiches are like 4-5$ bucks for a pretty good side.)

Jolly that sandwich is the best drunken munchie food...Just thinking about it makes me feel buzzed.

#133 skeeter

skeeter

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:16 AM

Fernandes is still the best in the area IMO. I wish the trolley made a stop closer to there, but they do have a parking lot.
gallery_47_36_882.png
Keeper of Mike Miller's cracking voice
Keeper of Claude the trumpet guy
Keeper of Slapshot the fondlin' mascot

#134 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:39 AM

I've never taken the trolley, nor have I ever been to Fernandez Steakhouse, but according to the trolley map and google, the trolley's I7 stop is one block away from the restaurant.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#135 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:48 AM

I've never taken the trolley, nor have I ever been to Fernandez Steakhouse, but according to the trolley map and google, the trolley's I7 stop is one block away from the restaurant.

Ya that map is deceptive, they associate stops with regions that have those restaurants. Fernandez is in the East Ironbound and 6-8 blocks from that stop. You would just walk down fleming and at the end of fleming is Fernandez.

#136 njdevils2003champs

njdevils2003champs

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:18 PM

Just out of curiousity, whats so bad about the Brick City Bar and Grill? I'm just wondering since the viewing party is there in a couple weeks.
Its Game Time! Are You Ready? Devils Hockey...Next!

NJDevs Keeper of the original 1987-88 Patrick Divison Champions banner, the Ken Daneyko banner, Devils Dawg's cape, 25th anniversary basher board ad, the Utica Devils, the Lowell Devils franchise, the Devils first win at the Rock, Newark Arena's first car-jacking victim, Lowell's pre-"Devil Dawg" mascot's cape, Sections 128 and 129 at "The Rock", Pork Sandwich at The Rock, Jumbotron clapping Godzilla, Mucho Nacho, Grant Marshall first edition Lowell Devils jersey, The first "Rangers suck" chant at the Rock (25th Oct. '07 at Bon Jovi), Bob Gilderstein, the PA voice from 2005-2007, NJ Iromen soccer team, and the Postponed and Continued Lightning/Devils game 1/8/10 and 1/10/10

"Elias, is going to chase it down. Right in front to Arnott, HE SCORES!!!!! JASON ARNOTT HAS SCORED AND THE DEVILS HAVE WON THE CUP!!! JASON ARNOTT!!! JASON ARNOTT has score and the Devils win it 2-1!!!!"-Mike Miller

"The Championship to New Jersey. The Devils win the Stanley Cup"! -Mike Emrick- -June 24, 1995

R.I.P. Mom 2/22/09

#137 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,899 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:59 PM

Just out of curiousity, whats so bad about the Brick City Bar and Grill? I'm just wondering since the viewing party is there in a couple weeks.

I don't mind BCB&G, but because it's right there, it seems to get crowded way quicker than some of the other places, so I rarely go there. The few times I got something to eat there last year, the food was good.

The Zeppelin Hall beergarden was an AMAZING place to do the viewing party. I hope they have a bunch more there, great atmosphere, and room for hundreds of people - literally up to two THOUSAND people when it's nice out and they can open the outdoors sections.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#138 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:08 AM

I had never heard of that till a friend of mine posted about it and now I have to find my way over to Jersey city....Im actually going to Germany this year so I am very pysched.

#139 skeeter

skeeter

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 01:24 AM

They have an "event night menu" which is a stripped down version of their regular menu and charge $2 more than their already ridiculous prices on game nights. Shame too, because the backyard bbq burger was my favorite burger ever, but it was $14 to begin with.

In other news, I just got an email from Rio 22, which is a pretty awesome Rodizio and sushi place on route 22 in Union. They're opening a new location on Route 21 on Friday Feb. 5th, but it's further up near the ballpark. Could be a good pre or post-game stop if you're driving in or don't mind a sangria-induced long stumble to the arena for the game.
gallery_47_36_882.png
Keeper of Mike Miller's cracking voice
Keeper of Claude the trumpet guy
Keeper of Slapshot the fondlin' mascot

#140 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:01 PM

Skeeter, This may have been an isolated incident but I had a lousy experience at Rio (formerly Seabras Rodizio). Same mediocre meat when it was Seabras and some exceptionally clueless, lousy servers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users