Food around the Rock

Reverend_Hellh0und

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just talked with some people from the city and there are actually two restaurants in the works for Edison Place and a possible change coming to Arena Bar. Details were sketch but it's nice to see things moving along.

I think Vanderbeek mentioned that at some point. Good to hear!

• 2 weeks later...

So is Stadium Sports Bar and Grill gone for good or what? Some speculated it was just closed for the offseason but who knows.. I loved the cheap beer and good food

It actually closed before the season ended last year. There was a shooting outside of it at like 4 AM one night or something, and it never opened again as far as we could tell.

It actually closed before the season ended last year. There was a shooting outside of it at like 4 AM one night or something, and it never opened again as far as we could tell.

Sh!t... I mean I knew about the shooting but didn't know it had closed.. So where is the next best place to get cheap beer and good food?

Sh!t... I mean I knew about the shooting but didn't know it had closed.. So where is the next best place to get cheap beer and good food?

I dunno. There is that new Italian place that should be open about a block and a half closer to the arena on the same street. Hopefully that will be decent and have liquor.

Chateau Du Spain isn't bad for a quick bite, and it's never too busy downstairs in the bar like section. Has a liquor license too.

City Cafe must be some sort of front for illegal activity, so I don't both with food or drink there.

Even though it's on the other side of the arena, Port 44 will be a new option.

This side of the arena is definitely lacking in good establishments, since Arena Bar is always so packed.

I'm still holding out hope that Stadium will re-open. :lol:

I could be wrong but it seems like the guy is trying to bring in a partner or sell the place (the former stadium sports bar that is).

I think it was a girl who owned it...actually she was running it but that it was actually her grandmothers place. It's got a nice set up inside, I don't see why a bar can't work there, especially adding the Nets in this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the upstairs section of city cafe, because we were running late due to traffic. Nothing has changed, the place still is really bad. I asked the guy what beers they had on draft....no idea what I meant. Then I asked what beers they had at all and he said anything I wanted, which turned out as long as I wanted Heineken, Corona, Bud, or Miller.

We also grabbed their dinner menu which is still filled with horrific spelling errors.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs726.snc4/64682_445842799115_509654115_5194912_2886474_n.jpg

Meryland Stile Crabs

City Stile

Chiken

All wonderful options. Also, the front listed you can get BBQ and Crabs at the City Cafe, delicious.

post-114-081973800 1286650023_thumb.jpg

Edited by Devils731

I seriously wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it. How is that place still there. I remember reading an article about the owners 4 or 5 years ago and it seem like no one is actually running the place.

Went to the upstairs section of city cafe, because we were running late due to traffic. Nothing has changed, the place still is really bad. I asked the guy what beers they had on draft....no idea what I meant. Then I asked what beers they had at all and he said anything I wanted, which turned out as long as I wanted Heineken, Corona, Bud, or Miller.

We also grabbed their dinner menu which is still filled with horrific spelling errors.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs726.snc4/64682_445842799115_509654115_5194912_2886474_n.jpg

Meryland Stile Crabs

City Stile

Chiken

All wonderful options. Also, the front listed you can get BBQ and Crabs at the City Cafe, delicious.

I seriously wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it. How is that place still there. I remember reading an article about the owners 4 or 5 years ago and it seem like no one is actually running the place.

I assume there must be some illicit activity going on there that's the real money maker. Also, the new upstairs portion was filled with extension cords, no way it was inspected and given the ok to open, which again suggests to me everything isn't above board.

Beer was fine and all, if we were running super late we still might grab a beer there. :lol: We're 2/2 on getting stories from going there.

Just don't get yourself shot...ijk, I just feel like there are better cheeper places to grab a beer but I tend to stick to North of the arena

I come a back way in via 78 and local roads and park in a green lot for quick entrance and exit, so if we're pressed for time we only have city cafe, arena lounge, and chateau du spain on our side of the arena now that Stadium bar closed. It's telling we've only been to City twice in 3 years. :lol:

We planned to hit up Port 44, to see what the food was like. Stopped in after the Season ticket BBQ and enjoyed our beer there and the place is pretty nice inside but we didn't have the time.

So far, the only places that I have visited are Arena Lounge, the Spot and Scullys. Anyone know of any other good places to eat before the game?

Brick City Bar and Grill on Edison is good. Francesca's on McWhorter has amazing Italian food. Je's on the corner of William and Halsey has great soul food. Hobby's Deli on the corner of Halsey and Branford is a classic deli. Mike's Coffee Shop on the corner of Broad and William is good for a cheap slice of pizza.

Glocally Newark has a lot of reviews on places.

Edited by The Rock 07

Mr. Devils Champs you are missing out on some great places although alot depends on how much time you have. If you go North of the arena downtown you should try out Nicks, Mix 27 and Killkennys all located right at halsey and central. If you go to the Ironbound there are literally hundreds of places to try, I would always recommend one trip to Fernandez steak house, Iberia, Boi Na Brasa, Adega, Fornos, Spain...hell I could go on for a while but you really should explore the Ironbound restaurant scene.

Mr. Devils Champs you are missing out on some great places although alot depends on how much time you have. If you go North of the arena downtown you should try out Nicks, Mix 27 and Killkennys all located right at halsey and central. If you go to the Ironbound there are literally hundreds of places to try, I would always recommend one trip to Fernandez steak house, Iberia, Boi Na Brasa, Adega, Fornos, Spain...hell I could go on for a while but you really should explore the Ironbound restaurant scene.

Just went to Casa Vasca in the Ironbound.. Great food and atmosphere!! Sangria was delicious as well.. Apparently my parents have been going there for decades