471 replies to this topic

#161 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,518 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:33 AM

I could be wrong but it seems like the guy is trying to bring in a partner or sell the place (the former stadium sports bar that is).

I think it was a girl who owned it...actually she was running it but that it was actually her grandmothers place. It's got a nice set up inside, I don't see why a bar can't work there, especially adding the Nets in this year.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#162 skeeter

skeeter

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:55 AM

Anybody have any idea when that John's Pizzeria is opening? Last I heard was this fall but I haven't seen or heard anything in ages. That place pre-game will be bad news for my waistline.
gallery_47_36_882.png
Keeper of Mike Miller's cracking voice
Keeper of Claude the trumpet guy
Keeper of Slapshot the fondlin' mascot

#163 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:40 AM

Anybody have any idea when that John's Pizzeria is opening? Last I heard was this fall but I haven't seen or heard anything in ages. That place pre-game will be bad news for my waistline.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen construction or anything...guess I have to poke around.

#164 The Rock 07

The Rock 07

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:31 PM

They have billboards up in Gateway Center so I guess its happening soon.
Posted Image
I! I believe! I believe that we! I believe that we will win! I believe that we will win! I believe that we will win!

#165 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:40 PM

I actually noticed they had the obligatory notice of moving a liquor license there up the other day. I think it's pretty cool to see the galaries and new restaurants retaking broad and market in a rather organic fashion.

#166 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,518 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:47 PM

Went to the upstairs section of city cafe, because we were running late due to traffic. Nothing has changed, the place still is really bad. I asked the guy what beers they had on draft....no idea what I meant. Then I asked what beers they had at all and he said anything I wanted, which turned out as long as I wanted Heineken, Corona, Bud, or Miller.

We also grabbed their dinner menu which is still filled with horrific spelling errors.

http://sphotos.ak.fb...2_2886474_n.jpg

Meryland Stile Crabs

City Stile

Chiken

All wonderful options. Also, the front listed you can get BBQ and Crabs at the City Cafe, delicious.

Attached Files

• Attached File  city.jpg   77.93KB   10 downloads

Edited by Devils731, 09 October 2010 - 01:48 PM.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#167 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:48 PM

I seriously wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it. How is that place still there. I remember reading an article about the owners 4 or 5 years ago and it seem like no one is actually running the place.

Went to the upstairs section of city cafe, because we were running late due to traffic. Nothing has changed, the place still is really bad. I asked the guy what beers they had on draft....no idea what I meant. Then I asked what beers they had at all and he said anything I wanted, which turned out as long as I wanted Heineken, Corona, Bud, or Miller.

We also grabbed their dinner menu which is still filled with horrific spelling errors.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs726.snc4/64682_445842799115_509654115_5194912_2886474_n.jpg

Meryland Stile Crabs

City Stile

Chiken

All wonderful options. Also, the front listed you can get BBQ and Crabs at the City Cafe, delicious.

#168 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,518 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:23 PM

I seriously wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it. How is that place still there. I remember reading an article about the owners 4 or 5 years ago and it seem like no one is actually running the place.

I assume there must be some illicit activity going on there that's the real money maker. Also, the new upstairs portion was filled with extension cords, no way it was inspected and given the ok to open, which again suggests to me everything isn't above board.

Beer was fine and all, if we were running super late we still might grab a beer there. :lol: We're 2/2 on getting stories from going there.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#169 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:01 PM

Just don't get yourself shot...ijk, I just feel like there are better cheeper places to grab a beer but I tend to stick to North of the arena

#170 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,518 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:51 AM

Just don't get yourself shot...ijk, I just feel like there are better cheeper places to grab a beer but I tend to stick to North of the arena

I come a back way in via 78 and local roads and park in a green lot for quick entrance and exit, so if we're pressed for time we only have city cafe, arena lounge, and chateau du spain on our side of the arena now that Stadium bar closed. It's telling we've only been to City twice in 3 years. :lol:

We planned to hit up Port 44, to see what the food was like. Stopped in after the Season ticket BBQ and enjoyed our beer there and the place is pretty nice inside but we didn't have the time.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#171 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:28 PM

Well being local I am biased but I have like swinging through Port 44 due to having my mug there but I still have yet to do Bellos and that place apparently is a pretty good sports bar.

#172 njdevils2003champs

njdevils2003champs

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:41 PM

So far, the only places that I have visited are Arena Lounge, the Spot and Scullys. Anyone know of any other good places to eat before the game?
Its Game Time! Are You Ready? Devils Hockey...Next!

NJDevs Keeper of the original 1987-88 Patrick Divison Champions banner, the Ken Daneyko banner, Devils Dawg's cape, 25th anniversary basher board ad, the Utica Devils, the Lowell Devils franchise, the Devils first win at the Rock, Newark Arena's first car-jacking victim, Lowell's pre-"Devil Dawg" mascot's cape, Sections 128 and 129 at "The Rock", Pork Sandwich at The Rock, Jumbotron clapping Godzilla, Mucho Nacho, Grant Marshall first edition Lowell Devils jersey, The first "Rangers suck" chant at the Rock (25th Oct. '07 at Bon Jovi), Bob Gilderstein, the PA voice from 2005-2007, NJ Iromen soccer team, and the Postponed and Continued Lightning/Devils game 1/8/10 and 1/10/10

"Elias, is going to chase it down. Right in front to Arnott, HE SCORES!!!!! JASON ARNOTT HAS SCORED AND THE DEVILS HAVE WON THE CUP!!! JASON ARNOTT!!! JASON ARNOTT has score and the Devils win it 2-1!!!!"-Mike Miller

"The Championship to New Jersey. The Devils win the Stanley Cup"! -Mike Emrick- -June 24, 1995

R.I.P. Mom 2/22/09

#173 The Rock 07

The Rock 07

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:46 PM

So far, the only places that I have visited are Arena Lounge, the Spot and Scullys. Anyone know of any other good places to eat before the game?

Brick City Bar and Grill on Edison is good. Francesca's on McWhorter has amazing Italian food. Je's on the corner of William and Halsey has great soul food. Hobby's Deli on the corner of Halsey and Branford is a classic deli. Mike's Coffee Shop on the corner of Broad and William is good for a cheap slice of pizza.
Glocally Newark has a lot of reviews on places.

Edited by The Rock 07, 12 October 2010 - 02:46 PM.

Posted Image
I! I believe! I believe that we! I believe that we will win! I believe that we will win! I believe that we will win!

#174 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:33 AM

Mr. Devils Champs you are missing out on some great places although alot depends on how much time you have. If you go North of the arena downtown you should try out Nicks, Mix 27 and Killkennys all located right at halsey and central. If you go to the Ironbound there are literally hundreds of places to try, I would always recommend one trip to Fernandez steak house, Iberia, Boi Na Brasa, Adega, Fornos, Spain...hell I could go on for a while but you really should explore the Ironbound restaurant scene.

#175 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,210 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 05:20 PM

Mr. Devils Champs you are missing out on some great places although alot depends on how much time you have. If you go North of the arena downtown you should try out Nicks, Mix 27 and Killkennys all located right at halsey and central. If you go to the Ironbound there are literally hundreds of places to try, I would always recommend one trip to Fernandez steak house, Iberia, Boi Na Brasa, Adega, Fornos, Spain...hell I could go on for a while but you really should explore the Ironbound restaurant scene.

Just went to Casa Vasca in the Ironbound.. Great food and atmosphere!! Sangria was delicious as well.. Apparently my parents have been going there for decades

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#176 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:47 PM

Hell's Kitchen has very good food at a great price. Plus it has plenty of Devils fans before games. I almost always go there when I have the time.

I've been meaning to try a lot of the other places mentioned, but I've only tried BCB&G, Scully's, Fernandes and a quick drink at the Spot and Stadium Cafe.

#177 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,210 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:09 PM

Hell's Kitchen has very good food at a great price. Plus it has plenty of Devils fans before games. I almost always go there when I have the time.

I've been meaning to try a lot of the other places mentioned, but I've only tried BCB&G, Scully's, Fernandes and a quick drink at the Spot and Stadium Cafe.

I've heard Hell's Kitchen is always packed before a game.. that true?

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#178 cj241

cj241

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:20 AM

I've heard Hell's Kitchen is always packed before a game.. that true?

It depends on who they're playing and what time you get there. If you make reservations it's not a problem at all.

Home Opener wasn't nearly as packed as I've seen it before.

#179 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:31 PM

I had to drop off paperwork at city hall the other day and I actually saw a place called Kimora Lounge that looks like they have been trying to get opened for a while. Don't know if it will ever happen but it was cool to see. I also got a shot of the Uber Burger and they said they would be opened next week.

Edited by newarkdev01, 18 October 2010 - 12:38 PM.

#180 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,210 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:13 PM

It depends on who they're playing and what time you get there. If you make reservations it's not a problem at all.

Home Opener wasn't nearly as packed as I've seen it before.

Did not know you could make reservations.. Very interesting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users