#1 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,623 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:49 PM

http://sports.yahoo....s...p&type=lgns

"I believe he's made great strides from last year until now," said Stars co-general manager Brett Hull. "He's just scratching the surface. It's not a one-hit wonder type of season."

Yes, I'm sure his 36.8% shooting percentage is sustainable. Good thing you're off TV now, Mr. Hull.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#2 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • 21,582 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:53 PM

Ew.

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#3 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:01 AM

Of course Ribs is overachieving because he is looking at a new deal. Looks like the Stars haven't learned anything from those big signings.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Chocolate + Devil = My life

#4 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:02 AM

Dallas's desperate ploys to throw money at the few players who won't require walkers and prune juice in the next 2 years!!!! :evil:
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

#5 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,482 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:30 AM

HAHAHAHA, just shows that Hull was a great player who doesn't understand how to judge other players talent.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#6 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,482 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:40 AM

http://www.njdevs.co...hl=mike ribeiro

Tri nailed it exactly at a team way overpaying at 5 million a year.

It's amazing how so many of us can see that Ribeiro can't possibly do this again but NHL professionals don't.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#7 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,623 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:00 AM

It's amazing how so many of us can see that Ribeiro can't possibly do this again but NHL professionals don't.

haha awesome, nice find.

It is slightly unfair to the Stars to rake them over the coals for this given the market for centers this offseason and the fact that almost all of them will get overpaid, but the problem is that Ribiero is really only a league average player - he's small, he doesn't skate very well, and he rarely shoots the puck. He's got a good shooting percentage for his career and is a solid passer. But he's never been good defensively either.

The Devils' deal for Zubrus looks 10 times better even if Zubrus hasn't worked out as a center. Hell, who would you rather have at center over the next 5 years, Ribiero or Elias for a million dollars more a season?

Edited by Triumph, 08 January 2008 - 01:01 AM.

#8 NJD Jester

NJD Jester

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,719 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:21 AM

Of course Roloson is overachieving because he is looking at a new deal. Looks like the Oilers haven't learned anything from those big signings.

Fixed.

<JESTER>
Posted Image

"Glow Pucks & 10-Cent Beer: The 101 Worst Ideas in Sports History" is available now online and at local bookstores.

Get your NJD fan stories published in Hell & Back: A People's History Of The New Jersey Devils. Visit The Hell & Back Homepage for details!

#9 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:39 AM

Not a great deal but at least he is only just coming up to 28.

If he can maintain his performance at around the same level for 2 and half years of that contract he might be worth it.

His numbers are steadily getting better, so who knows.

I expect the Stars GM tandem will be getting a lot of phone calls around Febuary from other GM's hoping to cash in on some inexperience.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#10 xxchaznjxx

xxchaznjxx

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:55 AM

i remembered somebody on this board called it. i just thought it would happen in the off season. dallas made a big mistake here. i'd be interested to see how he plays from this point on now that he's got his contract.

#11 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:48 AM

big Ribiero fan will put up gomez type numbers for 2 million less. great singing for dallas.

Edited by Beetlebum, 08 January 2008 - 10:48 AM.

#12 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,623 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:57 AM

big Ribiero fan will put up gomez type numbers for 2 million less. great singing for dallas.

i would absolutely love to put money on this. you do notice that gomez is leading the punchless rangers in points right now, correct?

#13 NJD Jester

NJD Jester

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,719 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:59 PM

I've got a Ribeiro rant on Deadspin today:

http://deadspin.com/...cheap-animation

<JESTER>
Posted Image

"Glow Pucks & 10-Cent Beer: The 101 Worst Ideas in Sports History" is available now online and at local bookstores.

Get your NJD fan stories published in Hell & Back: A People's History Of The New Jersey Devils. Visit The Hell & Back Homepage for details!

#14 Nieuwy25

Nieuwy25

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:59 PM

The problem is not the signing - he's been a good player for us. The problem is that he *is* our best scorer. My, how the mighty have fallen.
Winner of the 2004 Lady Byng Award and the 2003 and 2004 Joe Nieuwendyk award.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"He has no ego," says Lou Lamoriello, general manager of the New Jersey Devils. "I don't think he has a selfish bone in his body. It gets infectious with people around him, but that's Joe. Having him here was something very special."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
And the simple truth is this -- before and after Joe Nieuwendyk, this franchise has not been as good. Yes the same could be said for others, but Nieuwendyk's effect on his team, on his team's best players, on the fans and in the community can only be compared to, well, what Jarome Iginla is doing now in Calgary. Ralph Strangis, dallasstars.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

#15 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:39 PM

i would absolutely love to put money on this. you do notice that gomez is leading the punchless rangers in points right now, correct?

with 39 points nice one.

#16 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,623 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:09 PM

with 39 points nice one.

sigh.

gomez was one of the worst signings of last off-season.

as an analogue, marc savard got paid $5 million a season after 05-06 - he scored 97 points, after having averaged a point a game pre-lockout with some injury troubles. savard is far better than ribiero but they are analogous players (slow-ish playmakers who've had discipline/injury problems in the past). Salaries have probably gone up 10-15% since then, but are you really contending that you would sign this Ribiero for like 4.2 million back in 05-06?

also i'd make a long point about marginal value but that's probably lost on you

#17 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,235 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:31 PM

Horrible, horrible deal for the Stars.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#18 brodeurrocks

brodeurrocks

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:33 PM

Ugly, ugly deal.

Posted Image

Official Keeper of David Clarkson's Open Ice Hits!

Official Keeper of the stains on Chico's shirt and tie from "Chico Eats" episodes!

#19 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,005 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:54 PM

I'll admit I dont know much about Ribiero, but maybe they are hoping that 3-5 years from now with the cap increases' each year(most likey) it would be a good deal for them.

#20 SteveStevens

SteveStevens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:22 PM

Signing players when theyre hot is just a moment of passion and worthless money. They cant seriously expect him to play he did this year, and when this guy is 33-34, 5 mil isnt worth it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users