23 replies to this topic

#1 Camden28

Camden28

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:48 AM

WASHINGTON - A study by two nonprofit journalism organizations found that President Bush and top administration officials issued hundreds of false statements about the national security threat from Iraq in the two years following the 2001 terrorist attacks.

The study concluded that the statements "were part of an orchestrated campaign that effectively galvanized public opinion and, in the process, led the nation to war under decidedly false pretenses."

The study was posted Tuesday on the Web site of the Center for Public Integrity, which worked with the Fund for Independence in Journalism.

White House spokesman Scott Stanzel did not comment on the merits of the study Tuesday night but reiterated the administration's position that the world community viewed Iraq's leader, Saddam Hussein, as a threat.

"The actions taken in 2003 were based on the collective judgment of intelligence agencies around the world," Stanzel said.

The study counted 935 false statements in the two-year period. It found that in speeches, briefings, interviews and other venues, Bush and administration officials stated unequivocally on at least 532 occasions that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction or was trying to produce or obtain them or had links to al-Qaida or both.

"It is now beyond dispute that Iraq did not possess any weapons of mass destruction or have meaningful ties to al-Qaida," according to Charles Lewis and Mark Reading-Smith of the Fund for Independence in Journalism staff members, writing an overview of the study. "In short, the Bush administration led the nation to war on the basis of erroneous information that it methodically propagated and that culminated in military action against Iraq on March 19, 2003."

Named in the study along with Bush were top officials of the administration during the period studied: Vice President Dick Cheney, national security adviser Condoleezza Rice, Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld, Secretary of State Colin Powell, Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz and White House press secretaries Ari Fleischer and Scott McClellan.

Bush led with 259 false statements, 231 about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and 28 about Iraq's links to al-Qaida, the study found. That was second only to Powell's 244 false statements about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and 10 about Iraq and al-Qaida.

The center said the study was based on a database created with public statements over the two years beginning on Sept. 11, 2001, and information from more than 25 government reports, books, articles, speeches and interviews.

"The cumulative effect of these false statements amplified by thousands of news stories and broadcasts was massive, with the media coverage creating an almost impenetrable din for several critical months in the run-up to war," the study concluded.

"Some journalists indeed, even some entire news organizations have since acknowledged that their coverage during those prewar months was far too deferential and uncritical. These mea culpas notwithstanding, much of the wall-to-wall media coverage provided additional, 'independent' validation of the Bush administration's false statements about Iraq," it said.

#2 Devilish34

Devilish34

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,324 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:01 PM

Not to beat a dead horse here but post a link and a summary so as DM doesn't get in trouble.

86 the Kool Ade -- we need some fvcking icewater for these pussies

Posted ImageRIP Bill 1931-2007
RIP Major/Dr. John Paul Pryor killed in Iraq on 12/25/08. You will be greatly missed and can never be replaced.
What Happened To Dr Pryor?

You might be a Redneck if you brag about running a 11.57@118.14Posted Image

#3 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:02 PM

Not to beat a dead horse here but post a link and a summary so as DM doesn't get in trouble.

I will give him the benefit of the doubt. Since there is no link I think it is his original work so he can post it in its entirety if he so desires.
"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#4 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:04 PM

I will give him the benefit of the doubt. Since there is no link I think it is his original work so he can post it in its entirety if he so desires.

That's a lot of benefit.
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#5 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,468 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:07 PM

And he releases his writings from Washington :D
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#6 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:09 PM

And he releases his writings from Washington :D

That is the magic of the Internets! :lol:

Palin 2012

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

#7 Camden28

Camden28

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:13 PM

It WAS the lead story on Yahoo news an hour ago, but mysteriously has buried to the end of the features story list.

http://news.yahoo.co...bcMWAPzhEmyFz4D

#8 Devilish34

Devilish34

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,324 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:40 PM

Or not :P

86 the Kool Ade -- we need some fvcking icewater for these pussies

Posted ImageRIP Bill 1931-2007
RIP Major/Dr. John Paul Pryor killed in Iraq on 12/25/08. You will be greatly missed and can never be replaced.
What Happened To Dr Pryor?

You might be a Redneck if you brag about running a 11.57@118.14Posted Image

#9 emptynet

emptynet

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:50 PM

Just shows how easy it is to manipulate people when they are emotional.
"He tried to run him into next week and only got a day and a half..." Doc Emeric

I think I need to go home and lie down... nothing makes sense any more. - MDDEVSFAN

Official Keeper of the Devils locker room

#10 LetsGoDevils

LetsGoDevils

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:52 PM

Soros. Enough said.
So Say We All

#11 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,261 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:15 AM

Soros. Enough said.

Yes, Soros made them lie.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#12 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:03 AM

Soros. Enough said.

No, Soros funds these radicals who distort to try and create an America no one here would recognize. Sheep like Manta, PeteyN, and Camden can't see through this fog.

Funny, they don't link to all the Dems who said Saddam had weapons, etc.

Not worth the paper it's written on. Funny how we instituted a "Newsmax" rule, but our resident loons can post any garbage they wish.

http://www.snopes.co...r/wmdquotes.asp

Edited by Jimmy Leeds, 24 January 2008 - 10:03 AM.

I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#13 Camden28

Camden28

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:05 PM

No, Soros funds these radicals who distort to try and create an America no one here would recognize. Sheep like Manta, PeteyN, and Camden can't see through this fog.

Not worth the paper it's written on. Funny how we instituted a "Newsmax" rule, but our resident loons can post any garbage they wish.

Keeping your head in the sand isn't a solution. Ignoring reality because you can't accept it is probably why your so bitter to begin with.

Edited by Camden28, 24 January 2008 - 12:05 PM.

#14 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:14 PM

Did you even read those? All of them before Bush was appointed President talk about "potential" and "programs". The talk of actual physical weapons didn't start until Bush and his people made it up out of whole cloth.

Bush would have said Saddam was the father of Britney's baby if he thought it would help sell his war.

Palin 2012

#15 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:24 PM

Keeping your head in the sand isn't a solution. Ignoring reality because you can't accept it is probably why your so bitter to begin with.

Haha. Looking for conspiracy's under every rock isn't going to get you very far.

How does your husband deal with it?
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#16 LOULAM1

LOULAM1

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:37 PM

It WAS the lead story on Yahoo news an hour ago, but mysteriously has buried to the end of the features story list.

http://news.yahoo.co...bcMWAPzhEmyFz4D

Wow! Credible source! Yahoo news... is that associated press writer linked to the LA Times, San Fran Chronicle or the famous NY Times? Do your homework before you post and at least try to grab an objective news source.

To the point of Leeds, if NewsMax is not allowed... ban Yahoo and the NY/LA Times!

#17 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:41 PM

Yahoo News just repackages AP stories. It is entirely legitimate. The NY Times and LA Times may be right of center papers but they are not unabashedly partisan like NewsMax or Fox News. Although it seems you think some place has to be unabashedly partisan to your side to be "objective".

Palin 2012

#18 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:44 PM

Yahoo News just repackages AP stories. It is entirely legitimate. The NY Times and LA Times may be right of center papers but they are not unabashedly partisan like NewsMax or Fox News. Although it seems you think some place has to be unabashedly partisan to your side to be "objective".

It must be interesting living in your warped world, or are you just kidding us with this?

How can you be taken seriously when you write the NYTimes and LATimes "may be right of center".

Unbelievably deranged.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#19 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:51 PM

It must be interesting living in your warped world, or are you just kidding us with this?

How can you be taken seriously when you write the NYTimes and LATimes "may be right of center".

Unbelievably deranged.

Did you read any of their pre-war coverage? They carried the water for the administration. They also sat on the illegal spying story until after the 2004 election. Those are not things liberal newspapers do.

Palin 2012

#20 LOULAM1

LOULAM1

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:53 PM

To my point.. The NY Times writers are picked up by Yahoo and 99% of the internet and liberal media news outlets (including print) via the associated press! You don't get the point do you Peetee? Sure Yahoo is legit, so is NewsMax and there is no reason why one should be banned while liberal :puke: is nothing but the liberal LA/NY Times writers being picked up by the associated press wires!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users