1356 replies to this topic

#1121 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:24 AM

There was crime in the CBD as long as Rutgers Newark Campus and office buildings have been there, so those have done nothing.

Don't know what crime has to do with it but I'll play. There's been crime in DUMBO and Hoboken(not just west on Washington St.)and still is.

a museum that no one really cares about

Yep. One of the most attended in the state and well-known for its world-renowned Tibetan galleries. Obviously no one cares about it.

and I do not see this being built in downtown Newark.

See what? Upscale apartments(Eleven80, Clinton Lofts, etc.)?

Typical inner-city resident who thinks a couple of stores and restaurants will change an entire city center.

Uh. You need these type of stores and restaurants to price out the low-class leftovers already there so a new breed can come in and can add demand for housing. It's slowly but surely about to happen on Market Street. The bars and shops in DUMBO and Hoboken were there before the yuppie invasion. They also have something that Newark doesn't: Manhattan in their backyard. This isn't about being an inner city resident; it's common sense.

Edited by Marv4Life, 09 June 2011 - 10:27 AM.

#1122 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,668 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:32 AM

DevsMan, what is your point? An upscale spot opened in Newark. I dont see what youre trying to say at all. You might not get in with your Devils sweater. Full stop. Dont know how this has to do with DUMBO or Hoboken...

That this area doesn't need a wine bar and I was replying to Marv4Life's comment about gentrification. Will not happen in Newark by just opening wine bars and other shops and restaurants. It's the crime.

#1123 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:11 AM

That this area doesn't need a wine bar and I was replying to Marv4Life's comment about gentrification. Will not happen in Newark by just opening wine bars and other shops and restaurants. It's the crime.

How do you know there won't be a demand or a wine bar?
Where did Marv say gentrification will take place by just opening up a wine bar?

#1124 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,668 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:25 AM

Don't know what crime has to do with it but I'll play. There's been crime in DUMBO and Hoboken(not just west on Washington St.)and still is.

Yep. One of the most attended in the state and well-known for its world-renowned Tibetan galleries. Obviously no one cares about it.

See what? Upscale apartments(Eleven80, Clinton Lofts, etc.)?

Uh. You need these type of stores and restaurants to price out the low-class leftovers already there so a new breed can come in and can add demand for housing. It's slowly but surely about to happen on Market Street. The bars and shops in DUMBO and Hoboken were there before the yuppie invasion. They also have something that Newark doesn't: Manhattan in their backyard. This isn't about being an inner city resident; it's common sense.

Umm not sure where you got that from but the hipsters moved in there before the stores opened and that brought in restaurants and businesses catering to them.

Those are just a couple of decent looking apartments, but no where near what Hoboken and other gentrified locations have.

A Tibetan museum can have 500 visitors a year and I can bet it will still be amongst the move visited Tibetan museums in the world. Very Niche. Also not huge accomplishment since NJ doesn't really have many world-class art galleries. NJ has some nice ones, but considering any of them to be world-class is stretching it.

Fact of the matter is crime really determines where you want to live as well as schools, quality of life, etc. Do you really think people who are already scared of the Newark Abbot District school system, high crime rate are willing to move in cause a few wine bars and art galleries?

First improve the infrastructure, tackle crime, and then the people will come, and then the shops and restaurants follow. Newark is doing it ass-backwards.

#1125 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:01 PM

With the exception of the Broad/Market corridor(which can be fixed believe it or not, there's a 24/7 police unit there)the bulk of the crime isn't located downtown. As far as Abbot schools, that's what private schools are for, but families aren't the ones who start up the gentrification process nor are the bulk of it.

With things like a Marriott and Indigo-branded hotels, wine bars and other upscale/middle class establishments you can price out the lower-class places which lure in the ghetto element that can generate crime like 99 cent stores, hair/nail salons, counterfeit clothing stores, fried chicken joints, pawn shops, etc. The ghetto types won't screw around in areas where they will be reported and constantly watched; why do you think Ferry Street(which just got new market-rate housing built, wonder why, has nothing to do with the restaurants there right?)is almost completely free from their crap?

What's the point of an abundance of new housing if there's nothing decent for these new residents to eat out, drink or shop within walking distance? Eleven80 had this problem but with Better Bites next door, Port 44 nearby and the opening of Dinosaur BBQ the problem's being addressed.

Edited by Marv4Life, 09 June 2011 - 12:10 PM.

#1126 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:10 PM

wow, that just jumped the shark...listen I have talked with the owner of Loft and right now her place is in a less than desirable spot (if I remember correctly is was central ave). She wants something a bit more upscale and trending but no one is going to turn away arena traffic. Ultimately all four restaurant owners want the same thing, a dynamic block that becomes a destination spot...I don't think you are going to call a block Hoboken which is just an entirely different animal. The spot will be alright but I think I am still holding out for Dino BBQ.

#1127 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:12 PM

With the exception of the Broad/Market corridor(which can be fixed believe it or not, there's a 24/7 police unit there)the bulk of the crime isn't located downtown. As far as Abbot schools, that's what private schools are for, but families aren't the ones who start up the gentrification process nor are the bulk of it.

With things like a Marriott and Indigo-branded hotels, wine bars and other upscale/middle class establishments you can price out the lower-class places which lure in the ghetto element that can generate crime like 99 cent stores, hair/nail salons, counterfeit clothing stores, fried chicken joints, pawn shops, etc. The ghetto types won't screw around in areas where they will be reported and constantly watched; why do you think Ferry Street(which just got new market-rate housing built, wonder why, has nothing to do with the restaurants there right?)is almost completely free from their crap?

What's the point of an abundance of new housing if there's nothing decent for these new residents to eat out, drink or shop within walking distance? Eleven80 had this problem but with Better Bites next door, Port 44 nearby and the opening of Dinosaur BBQ the problem's being addressed.

Actually to this point it is quit interesting. There is a sort of vacume between he colleges and the Ironbond that is slowly getting a bit of an infill. It may take 10-20 years to get to there but it's interesting to watch parts year over year come into place.

#1128 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:31 AM

Don't know if this got missed, but I think it's significant:

http://www.northjers...ation_says.html

Prudential No. 3 in continental U.S. for earnings, publication says
Saturday, June 25, 2011 Last updated: Saturday June 25, 2011, 4:56 PM
BY JOHN BRENNAN
STAFF WRITER
The Record
Print | E-mail

The Prudential Center in Newark has climbed to No. 3 in the continental U.S. and to No. 8 in the world in gross earnings for concerts and family shows for the most recent six-month period, according to a leading industry publication that will announce these results next week.

Only New York’s Madison Square Garden and the Staples Center in Los Angeles — the East and West Coast’s iconic venues — ranked ahead of the four-year-old Prudential Center among continental U.S. arenas, according to an advance copy of the Venues Today obtained by The Record. The rankings are based on earnings during the period from mid-October until mid-May, and don’t include sports tenants, such as Devils, Nets and Seton Hall University. But such events as mixed martial arts and the NCAA East Regional men’s basketball semifinals and final in March are included.

The Izod Center was not among the 20 top arenas on the list.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#1129 block921

block921

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:21 PM

Better Bites? LOL I was just there today for lunch from 12:10 to 1:15 and there only 3 of us there. They even pulled out chairs and tables to create a CAFE style atmosphere and still little to no bites.

Bars will not gentrify an area do you think the middle class are just a bunch of drunks?? First you need low cost areas for the artists, just out of college and hipsters to be able to move in, crime goes down. Then other amenities will open up like grocery stores, coffee shops, book stores . When Hoboken was turning around "LOFTS" were dirty, grimey CHEAP places for artists to move in which was the trigger for gentrification. In Newark the rent is sky high and is much cheaper out in the burbs hence the cost opportunities are not there for gentrification to occur the same way the waterfront in Jersey city or the Hoboken occurred. Today "LOFTS" mean a 200k condo with 300-500 dollar monthly community fee or rent (1180) for 1500 for a Studio.

With the out of control crime:
http://www.nj.com/ne..._following.html

Posted Image

http://www.nj.com/ne...in_stabbin.html

Things won't change for a long LONG time, even under Booker its the same old game: http://www.nj.com/ne...ent_newark.html .. actually its worse. I've never heard of a teenager making 8,000 for a report on Newark parks... so much for change.

#1130 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,668 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:16 PM

Thank you exactly what I was saying. Coffee shops and bars do not change an area.

#1131 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:58 AM

1st off block the map is misleading. Nothing happened on Columbia Street downtown, it was Columbia Avenue in Vailsburg.

Also restaurants and bars don't make the area perfect, but they make the area somewhat stable and less worn out, replacing the lower class element(hair/wig shops, African stores, etc along Edison, Mulberry and Market pre-Rock completion). When the arena first opened what was the major complaint people had about the area, on here, other Devils forums and the media? That there's nothing around the place to eat or drink. Would you rather have Edison/Market remained abandoned and burnt out like it was in 07?

Jersey City(aka Newport) already had something to bring in the yuppies: a mall, and Manhattan across the river. Hoboken had nice restaurants and Manhattan across the river before new housing took over. Other than the Rock and NJPAC--which you have to pay to get in and aren't open all the time, what draw does downtown Newark have to lure a crapload of yuppies in? The restaurants are needed believe it or not.

#1132 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:43 AM

1st off block the map is misleading. Nothing happened on Columbia Street downtown, it was Columbia Avenue in Vailsburg.

Also restaurants and bars don't make the area perfect, but they make the area somewhat stable and less worn out, replacing the lower class element(hair/wig shops, African stores, etc along Edison, Mulberry and Market pre-Rock completion). When the arena first opened what was the major complaint people had about the area, on here, other Devils forums and the media? That there's nothing around the place to eat or drink. Would you rather have Edison/Market remained abandoned and burnt out like it was in 07?

Jersey City(aka Newport) already had something to bring in the yuppies: a mall, and Manhattan across the river. Hoboken had nice restaurants and Manhattan across the river before new housing took over. Other than the Rock and NJPAC--which you have to pay to get in and aren't open all the time, what draw does downtown Newark have to lure a crapload of yuppies in? The restaurants are needed believe it or not.

:blink: ??

Agreed with what youre trying to say but dont make it a race issue. African stores are not lower class by virtue of being African, nor do they prevent gentrification and middle-class folks from moving in.

#1133 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:19 AM

Not trying to but just pointing what was there before it opened. Should've mentioned a sleazy dive bar and discount store was there too, but those properties weren't exactly well-maintained.

#1134 block921

block921

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:34 PM

African stores?!? Please take your racist comments elsewhere.

#1135 block921

block921

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:47 PM

"Fact of the matter is crime really determines where you want to live as well as schools, quality of life, etc. Do you really think people who are already scared of the Newark Abbot District school system, high crime rate are willing to move in cause a few wine bars and art galleries?"

And you really nailed it.. good SCHOOLS are what is going to attract a middle class into Newark.. either public or private. Right now the only good school in Newark is Robert Treat and that is based on a very competitive lottery system. If you don't get in you are S C R E W ED.

#1136 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:37 PM

Well I'm glad that you are consistent block...gloom and doom everywhere! Burn the city down and give up....
In other news, I'll ask a very simple question to anyone that stumbles across this thread. Do you think you would have had any reason to venture into Newark and do anything 10, 20 or 30 years ago. Block, I get the gloom and doom but seriously do think the city is worse now than 5, 10 or 15 years ago? Newark has HUGE HUGE HUGE problems, but it also has tremendous opportunities, I just don't see how the sensationalism of it's problems accomplishes anything other than aimless bitching.
I find myself wondering...would you go on general NJ threads and post every time something goes wrong in the state?

Edited by newarkdev01, 14 July 2011 - 09:38 PM.

#1137 oat77

oat77

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:13 AM

Newark restaurant row

Didn't see this posted

"I love working for New Jersey," Burns said. "They've been great to me. They've supported me. (General manager) Lou (Lamoriello) is a godsend for me because he's looked after me, and I know I can stay close to hockey."

#1138 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:28 AM

Newark restaurant row

Didn't see this posted

I hope saturation doesn't take hold but they say competition is a good thing.

#1139 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:37 AM

And the Rock’s management “fully expects” a sports-themed restaurant called The Penalty Box, situated in the building’s ground-floor space on Edison Place, to be open by the spring, said arena spokesman Bob Sommer.

Didn't realize that this would be opening so soon.. Can't wait to check it out.. I like the idea of making Edison a restaurant row
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#1140 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,668 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:00 AM

Didn't realize that this would be opening so soon.. Can't wait to check it out.. I like the idea of making Edison a restaurant row

I had no idea they were building that. Is it right next to the Devils Den or further down?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users