1345 replies to this topic

#1321 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:32 AM

Sounds from that article like they're wanting to build a new station at the airport. Why not use the existing Newark Airport Station that NJ Transit and Amtrak use?

Also, I only support this if it means a new station for South Street in Newark. Otherwise this move only really benefits Lower Manhattan and Jersey City.

I would think it might be because the PATH uses a third rail and maybe they don't want to mix and match power sources for that line.

#1322 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:30 PM

I would think it might be because the PATH uses a third rail and maybe they don't want to mix and match power sources for that line.

I understand that, but in that case just add a platform to the existing Airport Station. Why build a whole new station?

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#1323 oat77

oat77

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:49 AM

Saw this on WiredNewYork.com.  A pdf magazine of Newark. Joe Piscopo is opening a (comedy/lounge/night) club on Edison Place. Which I think is really cool. And some stuff on the Devils and Red Bulls.

http://mydigimag.rrd...ation/?i=172677

I really hope Edison Place turns into our version of Yawkey Way in Boston. It's already well on its way, but it needs more. If it could get some outdoor vendors (food, beer, merchandise) on the street and some music playing too. That would just be awesome. Let the bars there sell beer and food outside. The Devils can sell stuff, and maybe get a good food cart out there. I know we have Championship Plaza, but I think it should continue around the corner and up Edison. Just start with Opening Day and good weather weekend games.  The Devils are just wasting space on that side of the arena.

I wish they had made the Devils Den bigger instead of having the PNC Bank right there. You can't move in there on game night. And they're just losing money not putting in some kind of bar restaurant down there. One that the whole front opens in nicer weather. It's plenty warm in October and April through the playoffs. I'm not saying during Jan / Feb.  And all those other bars right there should have front windows that open up to the street and some outdoor seating too.

Attached Files

"I love working for New Jersey," Burns said. "They've been great to me. They've supported me. (General manager) Lou (Lamoriello) is a godsend for me because he's looked after me, and I know I can stay close to hockey."

#1324 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:59 PM

If this only extends the Path with one stop at the airport, it's an epic fail. This really needs to result in 3-4 new stops that could revitalize the southern downtown, South Ironbound, and ultimately the South Ward. I have always thought, South st, Pioneer, Frelenheisen and the Airport. I will wait till this is officially announced wiht the capital plan before I celebrate.

#1325 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

In other great news, The Prudential site is chugging along and Cablevision just broke ground on their new building. I think the Indigo is about half a year off from opening so we should see lots of new places over the next year or two. Oh..rumor millon wired has Chipolte opening up next to Dino.

#1326 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:40 PM

In other great news, The Prudential site is chugging along and Cablevision just broke ground on their new building. I think the Indigo is about half a year off from opening so we should see lots of new places over the next year or two. Oh..rumor millon wired has Chipolte opening up next to Dino.

ugh really?  Chipotle is by far the worst of the burrito places.

#1327 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:57 PM

ugh really?  Chipotle is by far the worst of the burrito places.

Are you high?!? If not, try Chipotle when you are it's amazing :P ... But seriously, how can you say this?!?! Moe's is awful as everything is pre-made.. Their guacamole comes in a large plastic sack and is more like avocado soup

Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#1328 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:40 PM

Are you high?!? If not, try Chipotle when you are it's amazing :P ... But seriously, how can you say this?!?! Moe's is awful as everything is pre-made.. Their guacamole comes in a large plastic sack and is more like avocado soup

I like Moe's, but their quality depends from location to location.  Baja Fresh is the sh!t, but half their stores in northern NJ seemed to have shut down in the last year or so.

As for Chipotle, everything they make tastes funny.  I eat all natural, free-range organic stuff every day, but Chipotle's stuff just tastes so strange.  To me, their stuff tastes more processed than Moe's and not only that but their burritos are always bigger than necessary.  That is mostly because 90% of it is rice that just fills you up for a while.  Not only that but the seating at most Chipotle's suck ass as they never have enough tables and their chairs are uncomfortable.

Sorry I just find Chipotle to be as overrated as anything lol.

#1329 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:25 PM

Well I just want to see the whole block filled out (Market & Edison) with retail and the push to clean up Lafayett to Market on Broad so there is a feeling of connectivity with Teachers village and ulitmately with halsey st and the colleges.

#1330 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:55 PM

I like Moe's, but their quality depends from location to location.  Baja Fresh is the sh!t, but half their stores in northern NJ seemed to have shut down in the last year or so.

As for Chipotle, everything they make tastes funny.  I eat all natural, free-range organic stuff every day, but Chipotle's stuff just tastes so strange.  To me, their stuff tastes more processed than Moe's and not only that but their burritos are always bigger than necessary.  That is mostly because 90% of it is rice that just fills you up for a while.  Not only that but the seating at most Chipotle's suck ass as they never have enough tables and their chairs are uncomfortable.

Sorry I just find Chipotle to be as overrated as anything lol.

I'm assuming you frequent the Chipotle by the Bridgewater Mall, and I'll admit that their quality isn't as good (due to high output at lunch when the line for a burrito is enormous) and the seating is just awful.. Every other Chipotle I've been to has more seating than that place, yet that is easily the busiest Chipotle I've ever been to.. They get so busy that they have a separate prep line just for takeout orders at lunch.. Never seen a Chipotle like that, but no doubt they can't maintain quality with that volume

Never been to Baja Fresh, but if I did go, what would you recommend?

BTW - Saw this posted on HF. Looks like a new place opened up conveniently located near The Rock. http://theessexsportscafe.com/

Menu looks average and the prices seem to follow suit, but the guy who posted on HF said he thinks it's BYOB, which is a huge plus.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#1331 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:59 PM

I'm assuming you frequent the Chipotle by the Bridgewater Mall, and I'll admit that their quality isn't as good (due to high output at lunch when the line for a burrito is enormous) and the seating is just awful.. Every other Chipotle I've been to has more seating than that place, yet that is easily the busiest Chipotle I've ever been to.. They get so busy that they have a separate prep line just for takeout orders at lunch.. Never seen a Chipotle like that, but no doubt they can't maintain quality with that volume

Never been to Baja Fresh, but if I did go, what would you recommend?

BTW - Saw this posted on HF. Looks like a new place opened up conveniently located near The Rock. http://theessexsportscafe.com/

Menu looks average and the prices seem to follow suit, but the guy who posted on HF said he thinks it's BYOB, which is a huge plus.

I have been to the Chipotle near the Bridgewater mall as well as one in South Plainfield and a couple in NYC.  Not impressed by any and the lines and seating in all of them suck.  I hate that industrial chic look they are trying to pull as none of the chairs are comfortable and half the tables are those stupid communal tables.

Baja Fresh is now hard to find since a lot of them closed down the past 2 years.  I would recommend the Nacho Burrito even though it is a calorie bomb.

#1332 NJDEVS1730

NJDEVS1730

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:18 PM

Anyone have an update on Uber Burger and Brick City? It's been "under construction" for a while now. I thought they had closed last season, but it doesn't look that way anymore....

#1333 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:52 AM

The buildings that are on the opposite side of the market street where all the bars are located need to be fixed.  I was walking the upper concourse the other night watching fanfest from inside the arena, and the buildings all along that road still look disgusting.  If they can clean that up, it's be nice.  I'm sure it won't happen overnight though.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#1334 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

They are, problem is they seem to be doing it 1 by 1 rather than razing that whole side of Market St altogether and starting over.

#1335 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:33 PM

That stretch of Market st is a huge project being done by the same group that did the Dino building and it will be nice. The same developer is also the lead on the Indigo hotel and the Hayes Giffith Project. There is a huge amount of construction but it's going to be dead South of the arena for a while. It seems most of the action is either by the new Pru building and colleges or around the Broad/Market st area.

Edited by newarkdev01, 11 October 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#1336 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:03 PM

On a pretty cool note if you didn't see this, Whole Foods announced they are coming to Newark in the Haynes building (one block from Killkennys and Mcgoverns

http://online.wsj.co...3131838750.html

There is a shot in the link of how Whole Foods is supposed to look as well as the renovated Haynes and Its nice to see they are going to be the Anchor on the SouthEast corner.

Rumors have Bed Bath and Beyond being a possibility for the Haynes as well but this really continues the development of the area between City hall and Broad st Station. 

Edited by newarkdev01, 10 October 2013 - 10:11 PM.

#1337 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:37 PM

Just to sort of add, and summarize all of the big changes in Newark, I took this great post from Brick City over on HFBoards:

• A Krauszer's convenience store and a Chipotle restaurant will be joining Dino BBQ along Market Street in the Rock Plaza Lofts development. A liquor license transfer is also posted on one of the storefronts being renovated a few doors down from Dino BBQ. When complete, there will be over 80 residential lofts next door to Prudential Center (most of them are market rate with at least 16 affordable units).
  • A Rita's opened across the street in another building renovated by the Rock Plaza Lofts developers (it also houses a wisely placed police substation).
  • Also relatively close to the arena, the first phase of Teacher's Village has been completed on Halsey Street behind Broad Street (directly west of the arena and right by Hobby's). Three charter schools have already opened and a wide array of retailers have signed leases (including Provident Bank, another Krauszer's location, a laundromat, a florist and a few eateries). The next phase presently under construction is approximately 220 residential units being marketed to educators and school staff.
  • Whole Foods has just signed a lease to be the anchor retail tenant at the former Hahnes building (between Broad and Halsey Streets across from Military Park). The defunct department store is being redeveloped as retail, office and 180 residential units (about one third of them are affordable) with a 200+ space underground parking garage.
  • Prudential is underway on its 20 story office tower being built across from Military Park on Broad Street (next door to the Hahnes building). It will include ground level retail and parking for 1,400 cars. The foundation work is almost complete and the steel is just starting to rise above street level. The link below shows the tower being built in the center along with the adjacent smaller building to the right (the slightly taller tower to the left is currently on the drawing board):

http://www.kpf.com/p....asp?S=1&ID=405
  • Across the street, Military Park is undergoing a $3m makeover by the designer of NYC's Bryant Park renovation.
  • Shaquille O'Neal and his developer partners broke ground on a 23 story apartment tower on the corner of Rector Street and Route 21 (right behind NJPAC). It includes ground level retail, 169 market rate rental units and 117 structured parking spaces. The old Ballantine brewery (later Newark's Science High School) facade will be preserved as part of the tower's main entrance and lower floors. The link below has the most recent rendering displayed at the groundbreaking:

http://justarch.word....reaking-event/
  • The rundown Carlton Hotel just off Mulberry Street a block from NJPAC (across from the PSEG building) has been closed for renovation. A Wyndham TRYP hotel (similar to Intercontinental's Indigo brand going into the tall building being renovated on Edison Place) is proposed for the property.
  • Finally, on Washington Park near Broad Street Station, the vacant former Rutgers Law building (15 Washington Street) is being renovated into housing for 350 graduate students. A new building with a parking garage and office floors is also being built for Cablevision across the street (near the minor league baseball stadium). It is expected to be a 7-8 story building but there are no renderings yet.

Posted Image

#1338 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:51 PM

Colin,

You might as well throw in Riverfront park and the work that is being done at the fomer Market st gasworks site (between Jackson st and the Horrizon Blue Cross building) which is supposed to open by next year. When that is complete you will be able to walk from essentially Chapel st to Bridge st along the river.

#1339 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:15 PM

Don't forget Cablevision is also building a six story hq near Riverfront Stadium. A lot of good projects going on.

#1340 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:53 PM

I don't know if Newark will ever be able to drop its reputation, but all of these projects to revitalize the city are certainly only gonna make things better.  There is potential for a thriving city.  Hopefully it can come to fruition.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users