173 replies to this topic

#21 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:52 PM

Gionta is another version of Cheechoo, a breakout 2005-06 season and then slumps in the goal department. I don't think another forward is needed because Rupp displays he can be the net-crasher that skilled players Elias and Zubrus need. Zajac, Parise and Langs are another scoring unit while Madden, Pandolfo and Clarkson are a dangerous two-way group. Gionta should be dealt for a reliable defenseman because I am tired of seeing the Devils D-men keep giving pucks away.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Chocolate + Devil = My life

#22 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:53 PM

finally this board catches on. welcome to the summer of 07 guys.

#23 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,515 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:03 PM

i'm for trading him as well - but obviously not for the sake of just making a deal. versus actually brought up that he's not the same person without gomez and its starting to show. while he does have speed to create his own shot off the wing, i've only seen him bury one this year that way.

this team does not have a pass first center to play with gionta and that's what he needs. i also would not deal him for a flash in the pan cheechoo and the havlat reach really scares me. i would deal him for sundin if mats would sign an extension but that's not happening.

how about to buffalo:
gionta, greene, 2nd

to NJ:
stafford
campbell

this is assuming that buffalo decides they're sellers and don't want to lose campbell for nothing as they did with drury and briere. the chance to bowl over campbell while he was NJD property would be worth this deal as well.

yeah this is pretty much a sweetheart deal for new jersey. i think it'd have to be a 1st rounder to complete this one. they don't really need what gionta brings, and while he is a local boy, they need to get more a return for brian campbell. gionta for stafford is basically straight up given the dollars and UFA status of both.

re: cheechoo - at least he can fight in the corners. I do realize he's a similar player, the ideal would be havlat, but the Devils have enough smaller players too.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#24 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:08 PM

eh, I just bought a jersey and think he's capable. he's one of the few marketable players left in NJ and I think if the line combinations work themselves out a bit more in his favor he can still get it done. I'd wait until his contract runs out after 08-09 to get rid of him.

#25 njdevils_info

njdevils_info

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:11 PM

Am I the only one scratching my head on this one? Since when has Gio been dragging us down? Maybe he's not up to the level he once was, but does that mean we immediately dump him? Hell, I can think of at least a half dozen other guys I'd rather see leave before I let Gio go!

I mean, if we look at his stats, he has the same amount of points and Patrik Elias in a much smaller package. So he's not racking up the deflections he once did at the front of the net - ever think that maybe Gomez had a hand in that department?

Does it mean that since Gomez is gone, Gio is obsolete?

P	#	Name		Height	GP	G	A	Pts	Shifts	Shots
C 26 Elias, Patrik 6' 1" 49 15 19 34 1175 174
RW 14 Gionta, Brian 5' 7" 53 13 21 34 1218 168 _linenums:0'>[u]P # Name Height GP G A Pts Shifts Shots[/u]C 26 Elias, Patrik 6' 1" 49 15 19 34 1175 174RW 14 Gionta, Brian 5' 7" 53 13 21 34 1218 168

Posted Image<br>/\/ of the Jumbotron and it's 2 Ribbons<br><br>
Favorite Doc-ism:<br>* "I have a tremendous grasp for the obvious."<br><br>
Facorite Chico-isms:<br>Chico: "Actually its Brylin who jumped out with Pandolfo. I don't know if Madden was tired or if there's a problem..."<br>Doc: "The problem will be relieved as he comes out of the penalty box now!"<br>Chico: "Oh yeah that's right!"

#26 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:14 PM

I thought he should have been traded last year, he really has no passing and he just doesn't have a great shot. A garbage goal player who got to play with Elias and Gomez, Rafalski on the point on the PP helped too. I will probably get squashed for this and I don't know if Blues would jump but..

To New Jersey - Eric Brewer, Jay Mcclement
To St Louis - Brian Gionta, Cam Janssen
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#27 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:18 PM

Man of man I will really et ripped up for this one but I am a huge fan and I know Sutter would love him. Darcy Tucker in NJ lol

#28 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:19 PM

Point-wise, Gionta looks equal to Elias, but the way Gionta plays is a huge question mark. Like most of the people here say, he rarely passes the puck and he rarely creates a scoring chance. With skilled linemates Elias and Parise on his side, the only thing he needs to do is to stand in front of the net to create havoc to the goalies, which Bertuzzi DID when he played with Naslund and Morrison. Unfortunately, gionta fails to accomplish that and if his 4M cap hit can be freed up, please do so.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#29 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:20 PM

I agree. He has been dismal this season and I would trade him while you can still get something good back in return.

#30 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,515 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:20 PM

Man of man I will really et ripped up for this one but I am a huge fan and I know Sutter would love him. Darcy Tucker in NJ lol

Tucker is the same thing as Gionta and we already have Clarkson and to a lesser extent Asham, plus Tucker's contract is terrible.

No no no no. You love too much, Jason.

#31 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:22 PM

Dov Grumet-Morris will never trade Brian Gionta, The Rochester Rocket
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#32 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,659 posts

I wouldn't mind Darcy the guy, just his contract.

#33 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,360 posts

Tucker is the same thing as Gionta and we already have Clarkson and to a lesser extent Asham, plus Tucker's contract is terrible.

No no no no. You love too much, Jason.

Tucker is better then Clarkson, he has a better scoring touch and he will give 120%, something Asham will not. The guy is the type of player who will score a big goal at the right moment. Move Gionta for a defensmen and get Tucker for cheap. He is also a great skater. Do we have any big salary we can send back with him? Maybe Vishnevski?

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac, 04 February 2008 - 11:27 PM.

#34 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,515 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:23 PM

Am I the only one scratching my head on this one? Since when has Gio been dragging us down? Maybe he's not up to the level he once was, but does that mean we immediately dump him? Hell, I can think of at least a half dozen other guys I'd rather see leave before I let Gio go!

I mean, if we look at his stats, he has the same amount of points and Patrik Elias in a much smaller package. So he's not racking up the deflections he once did at the front of the net - ever think that maybe Gomez had a hand in that department?

Elias got moved from left wing to center, and is traditionally a second half player. Elias was tied for leading scorer in January, and the way February's going, he'll probably be the leading scorer there too. He's been New Jersey's best player for more than a month - by the end of the season he will have 10 more points than Gionta, and half of Gionta's goals are setups that anyone else can get.

Gionta's gone from disappointing to just plain invisible. Gomez DID have a hand in that - but now that Gomez is gone, Gionta doesn't get all the plum setups. With our lack of transition, Gionta doesn't get any breakaways either, and Gionta has never been a very strong 1 on 1 player - his default is always to shoot rather than deke. The team needs a guy who can make his own breaks (i.e. Havlat), or another guy who can plug in the corners (i.e. Cheechoo) who carries the same skill set as Gionta.

#35 Sickman

Sickman

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:23 PM

P	#	Name		Height	GP	G	A	Pts	Shifts	Shots
C 26 Elias, Patrik 6' 1" 49 15 19 34 1175 174
RW 14 Gionta, Brian 5' 7" 53 13 21 34 1218 168 _linenums:0'>[u]P # Name Height GP G A Pts Shifts Shots[/u]C 26 Elias, Patrik 6' 1" 49 15 19 34 1175 174RW 14 Gionta, Brian 5' 7" 53 13 21 34 1218 168

I'm with you on this one. I think the problem is that he is making pretty good coin and at this point he probably should have more production on the board then he actually has. He has looked lost out there recently but he isn't the only guilty party. Goals are at a premium and it's easy to get frustrated with him at a time like this. Confidence is a big part of this game and it's clear that he is lacking it right now.

I personally like the guy. I think he is a character player and he wants to be a Devil. Typical Lou guy. This is important. His production isn't there but neither is the "team" yet. They are a work in progress. He probably is missing Gomez but I'd like to see the Devils bring in somebody that may also give Gionta a second wind. I'm not expecting 48 goals again but he is still a capable player. I wouldn't give up on him just yet.
New Jersey Devils - Three Time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003

" 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1!! And the oldest trophy competed for in North America, LORD STANLEY'S CUP, has made it's way through the Lincoln Tunnel! To the Meadowlands! To the Garden State! THE NEW JERSEY DEVILS ARE THE 1995 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!" Mike Miller, June 24th, 1995

" I have for some time been thinking that it would be a good thing if there were a challenge cup which should be held from year to year by the champion hockey team in the dominion" Frederick Arthur, Lord Stanley of Preston

#36 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:24 PM

Tucker is better then Clarkson, he has a better scoring touch and he will give 120%, something Asham will not. The guy is the type of player who will score a big goal at the right moment. Move Gionta for a defensmen and get Tucker for cheap. He is also a great skater.

Tucker has flaws too man. I agree he is gritty and has a scoring touch, but he is getting old and injuries have dogged him in the last couple years. His contract is way too long and too rich as well given his current performance.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#37 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,515 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:25 PM

Tucker is better then Clarkson, he has a better scoring touch and he will give 120%, something Asham will not. The guy is the type of player who will score a big goal at the right moment. Move Gionta for a defensmen and get Tucker for cheap. He is also a great skater.

Oh please. Score a big goal at the right moment is code for you love him and would have his children. He's not a great skater, merely a good one, and he takes silly penalties. Not what New Jersey needs, plus they love him in Toronto and wouldn't auction him off, and New Jersey doesn't need another long-term contract on a player who is already declining. Darcy Tucker's decline won't be pretty either - he has a lot of NHL mileage on him, he's not very big, and he's taken a pounding for years.

Edited by Triumph, 04 February 2008 - 11:26 PM.

#38 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:40 PM

Oh please. Score a big goal at the right moment is code for you love him and would have his children. He's not a great skater, merely a good one, and he takes silly penalties. Not what New Jersey needs, plus they love him in Toronto and wouldn't auction him off, and New Jersey doesn't need another long-term contract on a player who is already declining. Darcy Tucker's decline won't be pretty either - he has a lot of NHL mileage on him, he's not very big, and he's taken a pounding for years.

Maybe he is on the decline but he won't hurt you for the playoffs. Just waive him after the seasons end, it probably wouldn't cost much.

#39 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:42 PM

comparing gionta to elias is just silly here is why

elias gwg 7

gionta gwg 2

#40 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,076 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:53 PM

Funny how last year Gomez was dragging the offense down and now Gionta misses him :blink:

I'd rather try to get some more offensive talent around Gionta before dumping him. It's not as if he's not trying, he's pressing. The opposite of Elias when he gets in a slump, Elias never shoots when he loses it, Gionta shoots from all over the place.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users