173 replies to this topic

#121 njdevils_info

njdevils_info

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:48 PM

Thanks for posting the stats. This only further reinforces the thought here. Stats don't lie, we need to dump this lazy SOB quick. He doesn't block any shots or register enough hits. I'll give him a pass on the faceoffs since he's a winger, but he'd also better start dropping the gloves and racking up some penalty minutes soon too. No sense keeping a loser who only shows up on MOST of leader boards for this team. If he can't get on ALL of them, then dump his a$$ to toronto.

I'm hoping there was some humor in that post, because it made me seriously laugh. Not in a mean way or anything, but the though of Gio at 5' 7" dropping the gloves is just a funny mental image.

I wouldn't blame him either.

I wouldn't consider Gio as the Devils whipping boy like Gomer was, would you? I personally think Gomez decided to leave because he was tired of the coach ragging on him all the time. I thinkwe're fortunate to have a coach who rags on everyone all the time! :evil:
Posted Image<br>/\/ of the Jumbotron and it's 2 Ribbons<br><br>
Favorite Doc-ism:<br>* "I have a tremendous grasp for the obvious."<br><br>
Facorite Chico-isms:<br>Chico: "Actually its Brylin who jumped out with Pandolfo. I don't know if Madden was tired or if there's a problem..."<br>Doc: "The problem will be relieved as he comes out of the penalty box now!"<br>Chico: "Oh yeah that's right!"

#122 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,095 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:09 PM

I'm hoping there was some humor in that post, because it made me seriously laugh. Not in a mean way or anything, but the though of Gio at 5' 7" dropping the gloves is just a funny mental image.
I wouldn't consider Gio as the Devils whipping boy like Gomer was, would you? I personally think Gomez decided to leave because he was tired of the coach ragging on him all the time. I thinkwe're fortunate to have a coach who rags on everyone all the time! :evil:

I wouldn't say he would leave so much because he is whipping boy as much as because he may feel working with Gomez would allow him to return to that 48 goal form while still staying in the same relative area.

And when he dropped the gloves with Chara, it was awesome!
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#123 njdevils_info

njdevils_info

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:13 PM

I wouldn't say he would leave so much because he is whipping boy as much as because he may feel working with Gomez would allow him to return to that 48 goal form while still staying in the same relative area.

And when he dropped the gloves with Chara, it was awesome!

Can you please do me a favor and tell me when this occured? I must have missed that and I must see it. From my database, I don't see a 5 min major involving Gio...
Posted Image<br>/\/ of the Jumbotron and it's 2 Ribbons<br><br>
Favorite Doc-ism:<br>* "I have a tremendous grasp for the obvious."<br><br>
Facorite Chico-isms:<br>Chico: "Actually its Brylin who jumped out with Pandolfo. I don't know if Madden was tired or if there's a problem..."<br>Doc: "The problem will be relieved as he comes out of the penalty box now!"<br>Chico: "Oh yeah that's right!"

#124 Sarge18

Sarge18

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:44 AM

Can you please do me a favor and tell me when this occured? I must have missed that and I must see it. From my database, I don't see a 5 min major involving Gio...

Well, he does have 1 fighting major, it came in 2003 against the Oilers, when he took on the heavyweight known as Todd Marchant i believe. Neiuwy stormed the crease, and those 2 seperated from the ensuing scrum. The game vs boston however, while getting into a tussle with Chara, was not given a penalty.
"Jay Pandolfo's last game at Boston University was against the Wolverines," Madden said. "My job was to cover his line. Jay had scored something like 30 goals in 30 games that season. And that was his 31st game. Guess what happened?"

"We always joke about it now," Madden said. "Jay tells me: 'You shut me down that game and you've been shutting me down ever since. The only problem is, now you're playing with me. ' "

#125 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,095 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:47 AM

It was after time ran out in Boston. The 4-3 loss with Weekes in net, i think it was beginning of January. It wasn't a toe-to-toe fight, but he got roughed up and showed some awesome fire. Really stood up for himself, and it was good seeing Langenbrunner, Parise, etc, all coming in too. It's one of the reasons I like the guy, even if he isn't a scoring threat so much anymore.

Post-game scrum.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#126 Cowutopia

Cowutopia

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:11 PM

His first instinct is always to try to get the puck on the net, and to take it to the net when he gets it in the neutral zone.

I cheered when he passed it to Karel. He had to get yelled at though, to do that.

#127 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,521 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:49 PM

I cheered when he passed it to Karel. He had to get yelled at though, to do that.

Why are people harping on this? Players yell at each other and from the bench all the time when people are open.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#128 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,927 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:59 PM

Yeah for the LIFE of me I can't imagine why players would COMMUNICATE on the ice

for all the money they make you'd think they have psychic implants or something cool like that :P
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#129 Devilish34

Devilish34

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,324 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:04 PM

Why are people harping on this? Players yell at each other and from the bench all the time when people are open.

They've never played any sports :noclue:

86 the Kool Ade -- we need some fvcking icewater for these pussies

Posted ImageRIP Bill 1931-2007
RIP Major/Dr. John Paul Pryor killed in Iraq on 12/25/08. You will be greatly missed and can never be replaced.
What Happened To Dr Pryor?

You might be a Redneck if you brag about running a 11.57@118.14Posted Image

#130 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:07 PM

They've never played any sports :noclue:

DING DING DING...give this man a cigar :hail: :hail:
Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#131 Cowutopia

Cowutopia

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:12 PM

That's not true. I played sports through high school, and intramural college. I know how it works. But they had to REALLY REALLY HOLLER to get Gio's attention, and I'm glad they did, because as Triumph keeps harping on, Gio just fvcking shoots in those situations 99% of the time.

I still play sports. I'm hoping to join the adult league at the Ice House.

Edited by Cowutopia, 08 February 2008 - 01:12 PM.

#132 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:20 PM

So does anyone have any serious ideas for trade offers involving Gionta? I wanted the Devils to look into getting J.P. Dumont earlier this season but he just signed a long term deal to stay in Nashville at a reasonable 4 mill and will probably not be moved.

Gionta has one more year after this one at 4 mill, a reasonable price for a team that can pay it

a good site for contracts:
http://www.nhlnumbers.com

neat (maybe unrealistic) possibilities:
Marleau, Cheechoo - Will probably require more than just Gionta. Cheech's contract is excellent, Marleau's might sting
Hossa - Gionta, some draft picks/prospects for a half year of Hossa. If we could find a way to resign him would be genius.
St. Louis - Basically Brian Gionta but better, would cost another 1.25 million for a while to pay him.
Erik Cole - Same exact contract, both are having mediocre years. Canes probably wouldnt bother unless he falls out of favor, or are worried about him breaking his neck.
Bertuzzi - same contract, mediocre numbers.

Reality:
Gionta doesn't have much value and its not like we can just trade him for a BETTER player at the same exact position. We're either gonna have to trade for a rental/unenticing contract, some prospects, or Dmen from Vancouver.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#133 Penny Gionta

Penny Gionta

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:20 PM

Hack bit, come up with something original :D

Leave my little boy alone !!!!

#134 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,067 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:48 PM

I covered a lot of these way up the thread.

neat (maybe unrealistic) possibilities:
Marleau, Cheechoo - Will probably require more than just Gionta. Cheech's contract is excellent, Marleau's might sting

Cheechoo is having a terrible season - no way that New Jersey sends more. I doubt San Jose is interested in Gionta as they have a similar player coming up in Devon Setoguchi.

Hossa - Gionta, some draft picks/prospects for a half year of Hossa. If we could find a way to resign him would be genius.

Too big a gamble - and Hossa is soft in the playoffs. We need defense before offense, too - get a real PP D man and everyone in our top 6 scores 2 more goals a year.

St. Louis - Basically Brian Gionta but better, would cost another 1.25 million for a while to pay him.

Didn't consider this. I don't think it makes much sense for Tampa.

Erik Cole - Same exact contract, both are having mediocre years. Canes probably wouldnt bother unless he falls out of favor, or are worried about him breaking his neck.

Yeah, this would be awesome. I love Erik Cole, I think he's a much better player than Brian Gionta. Unfortunately the 'Canes have enough midgets in Whitney, Samsonov, and Scott Walker.

Bertuzzi - same contract, mediocre numbers.

Too big an injury risk.

Gionta doesn't have much value and its not like we can just trade him for a BETTER player at the same exact position. We're either gonna have to trade for a rental/unenticing contract, some prospects, or Dmen from Vancouver.

Eh. I still think there's a shot he can be used to get Martin Havlat, and that's a gamble worth taking. Unless Lou does something crazy like flips a prospect for an RW, then flips Gionta for a D, I don't see how those scenarios make much sense. I do think there's a very strong chance Gionta isn't traded, especially because he'll probably burst out of his slump soon and start putting in those tap-in goals, but it's something New Jersey should explore. As it stands I think Gionta is the weakest link in the Top 6.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#135 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 02:38 PM

Didn't consider this. I don't think it makes much sense for Tampa.

Tampa really wants to get out from under the Richards contract, but St. Louis is 32, and on the books until 2011 at 5.25 per. Not a great contract either.

Both have been in rumors.

I really like the Havlat idea because I think he would have instant chemistry with Elias, something that is a serious problem with our offense. I'd prefer getting him or Hossa. Chicago is pretty far out of the race right now, I dont know what they would want. Maybe they talk themselves into a stanley cup winning Brian Gionta to help usher in the young guys, but I think they would want something different than a deal with Gionta as the centerpiece for Havlat. Size and toughness perhaps.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman, 08 February 2008 - 02:39 PM.

Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#136 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 02:53 PM

Gionta for St.Louis could be a deal given Tampa can free up 1.25M per year in cap space, but can St. Louis put up big numbers without Lecavalier is a huge question mark there.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Chocolate + Devil = My life

#137 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,095 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:16 PM

Gionta for St.Louis could be a deal given Tampa can free up 1.25M per year in cap space, but can St. Louis put up big numbers without Lecavalier is a huge question mark there.

Not to mention, doesn't St Louis have the dreaded NTC? Would he want to waive that to go to one of the worst offensive teams in the league?

#138 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,521 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:17 PM

Not to mention, doesn't St Louis have the dreaded NTC? Would he want to waive that to go to one of the worst offensive teams in the league?

Tampa is really struggling, I think he probably would waive the clause, he seems like a competitive guy. Just a guess though.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#139 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,095 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:24 PM

Tampa is really struggling, I think he probably would waive the clause, he seems like a competitive guy. Just a guess though.

Oh, I agree that he would try to abandon a sinking ship, but I guess I meant more along the lines of if 5 teams were in the running, would he choose NJ?

#140 elias2600

elias2600

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:36 PM

the fourth period claims boston wants to trade phil kessel for a D-man or top six forward. I dont know why they would, but lets say for sake of discussion they do.

Gionta for Kessel straight up.

Kessel age 20 signed this year and next then RFA at cap hit of 2.2mil per
Season GP G A P +/-
2007-2008 53 14 13 27 -7

Gio age 28 signed this year and next at 4mil per
Season GP G A P +/-
2007-2008 54 13 22 35 2

obviously trading proven for potential, but if gio has hit his ceiling as many here are proclaiming, then a risk on kessel who may turn out better could be worth it.

btw, I'm not saying we should trade gio, but just entertaining myself with this kind of discussion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users