173 replies to this topic

#141 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:44 PM

Gionta for St.Louis could be a deal given Tampa can free up 1.25M per year in cap space, but can St. Louis put up big numbers without Lecavalier is a huge question mark there.

i don't think there is any doubt that st. louis is a better player than gionta. while they are similar in both size and style, st. louis is faster and has a much better shot - he can create his own offense (something gionta apparently cannot anymore).

the difference in salary might actually be enough for TB to make the move as gionta would play well enough with vinny that the drop off would not be that great for them. but i'm not sure that i want another $5.25M of the Devils cap to go to a forward like St. Louis.

as it stands, i think lou has to try and bowl over campbell (no pun intended) with a 5/30 type deal to anchor the defense for the next 3-5 years so doing that with an expensive st. louis also on the ledger might be tough.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#142 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:48 PM

the fourth period claims boston wants to trade phil kessel for a D-man or top six forward. I dont know why they would, but lets say for sake of discussion they do.

Gionta for Kessel straight up.
Kessel age 20 signed this year and next then RFA at cap hit of 2.2mil per
Season GP G A P +/-
2007-2008 53 14 13 27 -7

Gio age 28 signed this year and next at 4mil per
Season GP G A P +/-
2007-2008 54 13 22 35 2
obviously trading proven for potential, but if gio has hit his ceiling as many here are proclaiming, then a risk on kessel who may turn out better could be worth it.

btw, I'm not saying we should trade gio, but just entertaining myself with this kind of discussion.

This actually a good trade for the Bruins they could put Gio on a line with Savard and gio would probably replicate the numbers he put up with gomer.

The Devils need a playmaker. So if the plan on trading Gio they need to get a playmaker back. I like Kessel's potential but he's not a playmaker he's a sniper...

#143 elias2600

elias2600

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:52 PM

yeah kessel and gio are both kind of the same player, with kessel being less developed but having more potential (being so young and highly touted). I think kessel entered the NHL before he was ready, and is still stuggling a little, but he'll grow into it. I think BOS needed to put him in the minors or keep him in NCAA longer.

#144 britoon

britoon

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:53 PM

yeah kessel and gio are both kind of the same player, with kessel being less developed but having more potential (being so young and highly touted). I think kessel entered the NHL before he was ready, and is still stuggling a little, but he'll grow into it. I think BOS needed to put him in the minors or keep him in NCAA longer.

I think that could work...although I have a hard time hatin' on Gio.
Posted Image

"Hockey is a beautiful, well-choreographed, symphony of violence
...a mixture of talent, grace and gladiatorial combat."

#145 elias2600

elias2600

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:57 PM

yeah, Im not really saying we should or anything. I think gio is going to return to decent form (not 48 goals form, but decent).

#146 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,770 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:00 PM

i don't think there is any doubt that st. louis is a better player than gionta. while they are similar in both size and style, st. louis is faster and has a much better shot - he can create his own offense (something gionta apparently cannot anymore).

the difference in salary might actually be enough for TB to make the move as gionta would play well enough with vinny that the drop off would not be that great for them. but i'm not sure that i want another $5.25M of the Devils cap to go to a forward like St. Louis.

as it stands, i think lou has to try and bowl over campbell (no pun intended) with a 5/30 type deal to anchor the defense for the next 3-5 years so doing that with an expensive st. louis also on the ledger might be tough.

Why do you think Campbell gets 5/30? He gets 6/42 or thereabouts, imo, maybe even a 7 year deal.

Do not want, unfortunately. He's overrated because of the Sabres' offense these past few years.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#147 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:15 PM

Why do you think Campbell gets 5/30? He gets 6/42 or thereabouts, imo, maybe even a 7 year deal.

Do not want, unfortunately. He's overrated because of the Sabres' offense these past few years.

I like Campbell but he's not a 6 million dollar player. I don't see a match with the Devils there. I think the Devils have get back to developing players through the farm system. The Devils system has been very week for many years now. I don't see how the Devils should be buyers at the deadline. They have over achieved immensely to this point.

#148 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:18 PM

would you want him at 5/30? i agree that i don't want him at anything past that. he clearly has offensive skill and can qb a PP - we saw it two nights ago. of anything unrestricted in the next couple of years, who would you want more?

as for why i think he sticks at 5/30 - i just don't see enough teams with cap space (whether that's NHL or self imposed) that can give $7M/year long term to anyone who is not extraordinary. campbell is very good but $7MM in a sane world is reserved for top line forwards and true #1 dmen.

look at last year's defensemen contracts:

rafalski - 5/30
schneider 2/12
souray - 5/27
markov - 4/23
hamrlik - 4/22

maybe campbell gets $6.25/year but not much more.

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-

#149 elias2600

elias2600

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:23 PM

campbell should be over the moon to get 5/30, and I think he will. I agree, your making him a top cog in your pay structure if you offer him any more than that.

#150 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:32 PM

of anything unrestricted in the next couple of years, who would you want more?

i wanted to quote myself for emphasis here - i just looked at all UFA's for the next two years on defense. this is the list of even "worth a look" UFA's on defense:

JM Liles
Wade Redden
Jaroslav Spacek
Jason Smith
Rob Blake
Brad Stuart
Dan Boyle
Barrett Jackman
Andreas Lilja
Mat Schneider
Brian Campbell

assuming that the devils need to change out the defensemen for the better over the rest of brodeur's contract in order to have a real chance at the Cup, I'd say that Corrente needs to pan out and at least one UFA dman needs to be brought in along with a trade likely. of this list above, campbell is far and away my man. i'd think about boyle as well but he is a total zero in the defensive zone.

20082719943.png
-

#151 elias2600

elias2600

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:40 PM

id look at JM liles and Jackman too, although I dont think either will be a one man revelation for our D.

#152 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,887 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:49 PM

i wanted to quote myself for emphasis here - i just looked at all UFA's for the next two years on defense. this is the list of even "worth a look" UFA's on defense:

JM Liles
Wade Redden
Jaroslav Spacek
Jason Smith
Rob Blake
Brad Stuart
Dan Boyle
Barrett Jackman
Andreas Lilja
Mat Schneider
Brian Campbell

assuming that the devils need to change out the defensemen for the better over the rest of brodeur's contract in order to have a real chance at the Cup, I'd say that Corrente needs to pan out and at least one UFA dman needs to be brought in along with a trade likely. of this list above, campbell is far and away my man. i'd think about boyle as well but he is a total zero in the defensive zone.

I really do feel that this is Lou's 'plan'. Bring in a little outside help, bring up a couple of guys from within, and make a serious run for it all from 2009-10 until Marty hangs 'em up.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#153 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,770 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:54 PM

JM Liles and Brian Campbell are too much like Paul Martin - the Devils need a guy who can not only run a power play but crank a few shots in as well. I'd avoid both. Although you're right to say Campbell won't get 7 million - I thought he had a 60-65 point year with the Sabres, apparently not.

Redden's interesting, but a little too soft for my taste. Great outlet passer though.

Surprised Michal Roszival's not on your list.

My top picks are Dan Boyle and Brad Stuart - both guys can bring it from the blueline. Stuart's defensive zone coverage has never been the best, but hopefully some time in New Jersey's system could cure him of that problem.

They need to let Paul Martin grow into that PP QB in the Rafalski role (remember, when Brian was Paul's age, he was just beginning his second season in the NHL) - and get another guy who can really blast it from the point.

Edited by Triumph, 08 February 2008 - 04:55 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#154 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,504 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:07 PM

I thought Cory Murphy looked like he ran the PP well in Florida the times I've seen him play. I don't even know fi Florida would deal him though.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#155 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:08 PM

JM Liles and Brian Campbell are too much like Paul Martin - the Devils need a guy who can not only run a power play but crank a few shots in as well. I'd avoid both. Although you're right to say Campbell won't get 7 million - I thought he had a 60-65 point year with the Sabres, apparently not.

Redden's interesting, but a little too soft for my taste. Great outlet passer though.

Surprised Michal Roszival's not on your list.

My top picks are Dan Boyle and Brad Stuart - both guys can bring it from the blueline. Stuart's defensive zone coverage has never been the best, but hopefully some time in New Jersey's system could cure him of that problem.

They need to let Paul Martin grow into that PP QB in the Rafalski role (remember, when Brian was Paul's age, he was just beginning his second season in the NHL) - and get another guy who can really blast it from the point.

i agree that liles is like martin but i think campbell is better all around (much better as a skater) and a better passer. campbell can certainly run a PP.

redden has a lot of miles on him and seems like he will not age well considering he'll also get a 5/30 kinda deal.

i'd be ok with boyle - i'd just rather campbell.

i just don't like brad stuart - he is way overrated for my taste.

roszival was missed for the purposes of my list (as were nick boynton, paul mara, and derek morris) but i still don't like the idea of any of them on the devils.

20082719943.png
-

#156 elias2600

elias2600

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:11 PM

problem with martin is he doesnt have a hard shot, or at least he certainly doesnt use it from the point. now of course rafalski proved you dont need a hard shot to be effective, but he is one of few can be effective without one. Most PP QBs have blasts.

Yeah I always liked brad stuart, but he is definitely a liability on defense, especially in the last couple years. The only way I would want him is if larry could turn his defensive game around. Stuart is not as young and moldable as martin was when robinson started teaching him, so its quite a gamble. I like the hard nosed game jackman brings to the table, and boyle would be great but he is kind of a little bit a poor mans rafalski imo. dont get me wrong, boyle IS good, but I think raffy has more defensive intelligence.

campbell would be great, but lets be honest, I dont think he is a #1 defensemen yet. although really non of the guys on this list are all around #1s.

i guess in my mind when I think #1 I'm seeing lidstrom, so ignore that. hehe

#157 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,975 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:13 PM

Gionta for Brian Campbell...Gionta is a Ra Cha Cha native...thoughts?

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#158 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:18 PM

Gionta for Brian Campbell...Gionta is a Ra Cha Cha native...thoughts?

i called for this and would be fine with it as the basis of the deal - but the devils need an offensive player back in the deal:

gionta
andy greene

for

brian campbell
drew stafford

campbell will not sign before UFA so the devils need something to keep if they deal away gionta.

20082719943.png
-

#159 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:26 PM

I think what the devils really need is for Zajac to get better, and for Sutter to stop screwing with the lines every 2 days so we can start to get some chemistry going on offense.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#160 elias2600

elias2600

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:32 PM

i called for this and would be fine with it as the basis of the deal - but the devils need an offensive player back in the deal:

gionta
andy greene

for

brian campbell
drew stafford

campbell will not sign before UFA so the devils need something to keep if they deal away gionta.

I dont think the sabres would go for this tbh, but it is a good basis for a deal. adjustments would have to be made, with either prospects or picks. they value cambell and stafford highly, and while andy greene is good, we value him more than most teams do. gio in buffalo would be a good fit though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users