173 replies to this topic

#161 CaptainLangs

CaptainLangs

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:40 PM

I think what the devils really need is for Zajac to get better, and for Sutter to stop screwing with the lines every 2 days so we can start to get some chemistry going on offense.

True, but I can't see Zajac developing with a utility winger, Zubrus (Face it, without AO, he's not a scorer), along with slumping Gionta. Zajac looks a LOT more comfortable out there when he's playing with either Zach or Langs, but on the other hand, I wouldn't want Sutter screwing with our top scoring line, the PEG/PEL line.

If Gionta isn't dealt, I say stick with these top two lines:

Parise - Elias - Gionta

Zubrus - Zajac - Langs

And just hope that Zajac can start to generate some offense with Langs out there.

Edited by CaptainPatrik, 08 February 2008 - 05:50 PM.

Got a little captain in you?

#162 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:49 PM

I think what the devils really need is for Zajac to get better, and for Sutter to stop screwing with the lines every 2 days so we can start to get some chemistry going on offense.

I don't get the whole 'stop screwing with the lines' - do you really think it's lack of chemistry affecting the Devils forwards? Sutter usually changes the lines up after a loss or after a prolonged period of incompetence. He's kept the D pairings the same for last couple games now, FWIW.

Zajac has improved over the last 2 months - hopefully he takes the big jump next year but I think it will be another season before Zajac is truly a 2nd line center in the NHL.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#163 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:58 PM

I don't get the whole 'stop screwing with the lines' - do you really think it's lack of chemistry affecting the Devils forwards? Sutter usually changes the lines up after a loss or after a prolonged period of incompetence. He's kept the D pairings the same for last couple games now, FWIW.

Yeah I think chemistry is first and foremost the issue.

I think you need to play with a group of guys for at least 2 months if you want to develop chemistry. Every opponent has different defensive strategies/abilities, and you need to spend time with one group in order to figure out how to best attack them. Just because something doesnt work for a few games doesn't mean the lines are poor, the lines themselves need to make adjustments. The devils are always playing with someone new so they have no idea of what to expect when attacking. Thats why every game the devils strat on offense seems to be the same, the simplest strategy possible: put pucks on net and hope to get a bounce.

At first I liked the line shuffling, because its a new coach and some new pieces, but i figured at this point of the season things would be more or less settled. Before the playoffs he needs to get some stability in there.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#164 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:01 PM

The problem with the Devils top 6 is this, they're all incompatible with each other. Every player has talent and will score, but there will never be any lasting chemistry. That's why we've been shut out something like 7 times this season.

This team has six guys who are good goal scorers and good passers, but none of them have superstars skills that raise the game of others around them. Gomez could do that, so can Forsberg.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#165 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:26 PM

The problem with the Devils top 6 is this, they're all incompatible with each other. Every player has talent and will score, but there will never be any lasting chemistry. That's why we've been shut out something like 7 times this season.

This team has six guys who are good goal scorers and good passers, but none of them have superstars skills that raise the game of others around them. Gomez could do that, so can Forsberg.

The problem with the Devils top 6 is only 3 of them are top 6 players and they are all Elias and Parise are very similar and Gionta is more of a stationary slot scorer. The other three are third line players. The Devils need a true center for the first line first and foremost and they need a second line center. This team just isn't that good as configured. Without Marty they might have 15 wins. Once again Marty is the MVP in this league and once again he will not get it.

#166 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:53 PM

The problem with the Devils top 6 is only 3 of them are top 6 players and they are all Elias and Parise are very similar and Gionta is more of a stationary slot scorer. The other three are third line players. The Devils need a true center for the first line first and foremost and they need a second line center. This team just isn't that good as configured. Without Marty they might have 15 wins. Once again Marty is the MVP in this league and once again he will not get it.

Love to hear on what teams Dainius Zubrus, Travis Zajac, or Jamie Langenbrunner are 3rd line players.

As for messing with chemistry - Sutter's kept the lines pretty much the same over the last 10 games, leaving the checking line and 4th line alone. It's only been the top two he's re-configured.

#167 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,466 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:37 PM

I chuckle every time I see mentioned that not changing some line combination will make it play better. These guys have been playing together at different times for over 40 games now and for some of them across different season. It isn't chemistry, it just is what it is.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#168 njdevilsluva

njdevilsluva

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:44 PM

True, but I can't see Zajac developing with a utility winger, Zubrus (Face it, without AO, he's not a scorer), along with slumping Gionta. Zajac looks a LOT more comfortable out there when he's playing with either Zach or Langs, but on the other hand, I wouldn't want Sutter screwing with our top scoring line, the PEG/PEL line.

If Gionta isn't dealt, I say stick with these top two lines:

Parise - Elias - Gionta

Zubrus - Zajac - Langs

And just hope that Zajac can start to generate some offense with Langs out there.

i think trying langs with parise and elias might work.
Posted Image

3 cups........

RESPECT EM

#169 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,466 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:47 PM

i think trying langs with parise and elias might work.

That would be what the Devils have done the last few games.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#170 njdevilsluva

njdevilsluva

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:50 PM

That would be what the Devils have done the last few games.

i meant zajac parise and langs.

zajac and parise seem to be ok together. and langs can help em out.
Posted Image

3 cups........

RESPECT EM

#171 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 04:07 AM

I think Campbell is till the best bet at $6.25 for 5 years far and away.
Young, moldable, and another badly needed PP QB. Even if he is similar to Martin I would not mind a nother one given what is out there now. Stuart would for sure be my second choice.

If Larry & Co. can get maximum results out of someone like Mottau, imagine what they could do with Campbell.

Redden is soft, over-hyped, and knows he's got the spotlight, not sure if he gives his all every night (like any of our players do?)? Fool GM's will be throwing ridiculous Timmonen deals at him.
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

#172 jsonnabend

jsonnabend

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:37 PM

We need defense before offense, too - get a real PP D man and everyone in our top 6 scores 2 more goals a year.
Didn't consider this. I don't think it makes much sense for Tampa.

Huh? I don't follow. Our team offense is 25th in goals per game while our team defense is 4th in goals against. So clearly you can't be suggesting that our defense is lacking defensively. Are you suggesting our anemic offense is a problem caused by our defense?

- Jeff

#173 moj8681

moj8681

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 04:53 PM

Getting back on topic, get rid of Brian Gionta. He had one great season and has fallen off the map without fellow Oompa Loompa linemate Gomez. The bets bet is to trade him and his $4 mil to anyone willing to part with anything that has a pulse.

That "shot" during the Buffalo shootout was embarrassing. The Devils might as well sign me to take his place in the shootout. I'd skate the other direction and slam the puck off the boards as hard as I could, hoping it would skitter across the ice back towards Miller and through his five-hole. The odds of that happening are significantly higher than the garbage shot Gio took on Wednesday. It reminded me of a blue line slapshot he took in a shootout a year or to ago versus Lundqvist. What a waste.

Then last night, he had about 10 seconds to make a play at the side of the net, and instead of doing anything intelligent, he shot it squarely at Jonas Hiller, covering the post, hoping the puck would squeeze through the goalie's ribcage and out his back.

He'll probably put out good Brian Rolston-like seasons for a couple years somewhere else, but his time in NJ had best be dwindling for my ever-shrinking sanity.

#174 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 04:55 PM

Huh? I don't follow. Our team offense is 25th in goals per game while our team defense is 4th in goals against. So clearly you can't be suggesting that our defense is lacking defensively. Are you suggesting our anemic offense is a problem caused by our defense?

- Jeff

What's so difficult about this concept? New Jersey is currently paying $12 million dollars to 8 defensemen on the roster. Let's take off the bottom two and call it $11 million to 6 starters.

New Jersey pays $22 million to its top 6 forwards.

So, yes, I am claiming that - New Jersey's lack of consistent transition defense means the offense has to forecheck to get goals, which means a lot of shots thrown at the net hoping for rebounds/deflections - and that's just basically relying on a lot of luck every night. How often does New Jersey get an odd-man rush? Once a game? When was the last time you saw New Jersey with a breakaway from the redline in? Blueline in?

And our defense is also lacking defensively and that will be exposed if and when we make the playoffs. Put a league average goalie in there like Biron and New Jersey is down with Atlanta, Washington, and Florida.

Edited by Triumph, 09 February 2008 - 04:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users